"Dark Force Rising," by Timothy Zahn [Bantam, 1992]

Discussion in 'Literature Review Forum' started by Kadue, Feb 7, 2003.

?

"Dark Force Rising," by Timothy Zahn [Bantam, 1992]

Poll closed Mar 25, 2012.
10 (Excellent) 107 vote(s) 67.7%
9 21 vote(s) 13.3%
8 11 vote(s) 7.0%
7 6 vote(s) 3.8%
6 (Average) 4 vote(s) 2.5%
5 (Average) 2 vote(s) 1.3%
4 1 vote(s) 0.6%
3 0 vote(s) 0.0%
2 0 vote(s) 0.0%
1 (Poor) 6 vote(s) 3.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kadue Jedi Grand Master

star 5
  2. Kadue Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    [image=http://www.theforce.net/books/images/ttt_dfr.jpg]

Synopsis:
    The dying Emipre's most cunning and ruthless warlord - Grand Admiral Thrawn - has taken command of the remnants of the Imperial fleet and launched a massive campaign aimed at the New Republic's destruction. Meanwhile, Han and Lando Calrissian race against time to find proof of treason inside the highest Republic Council - only to discover instead a ghostly fleet of warships that could bring doom to their friends and victory to their enemies.

Yet the most dangerous of all is a new Dark Jedi, risen from the ashes of a shrouded past, consumed by bitterness ... and scheming to corrupt Luke Skywalker to the Dark Side.
  3. Drew_Atreides Force Ghost

star 5
    ...well, been a long time since i read this one..

Do remember it being my favourite book of the original Zahn-trilogy, though i can't quite remember much other then the final battle against some clones near the end of the book..
  4. Qui Gon Jim23 Force Ghost

star 5
    Definitely the best of the three in the Thrawn trilogy. Interesting middle act.
  5. peregrine Force Ghost

star 4
    I absolutely love Dark Force Rising. It's the best of TTT, one of the best novels in itself, and best middle act ever. I especially like Karrde's character development here. Garm Bel Iblis, Lando and Han are also great. But the shining point of the book is, of course, the race for the Katana Fleet. The end battle is still my all-favorite space battle; although it's much smaller in scale than some of the other space battles we saw in the EU.

My rating for the book is 10.
  6. JADES_FIRE Jedi Master

star 4
    10 :cool: The best of the Trilogy that got me hooked. :D
  7. Darth Guy Chosen One

star 10
    The worst of a trilogy is always the middle. However, it still gets a 9.
  8. Alabak Jedi Master

star 4

It is imo, the best of TTT.
  9. evanchester Jedi Knight

star 2
    Darth_Guy-

So, i guess you think that ESB and AOTC are the worst movies?
  10. Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus

star 6

I thought it was very unfortunate how Thrawn completly missed Leia being on Honoghr. She should have been captured there.

With that said, I think it is a very good book, and certainly a interesting read. I thought Skywalker's reaction to the clones was terrific. The inclusion of the AT-PT is certainly a nice touch, not to mention the entire search for the Katana fleet.

It is a really good filler book for the final installment of the TTT.
  11. RahrKast Jedi Knight

star 2
    I give every book of the Thrawn Trilogy a 10! :cool:
    This one is just extremely good, full of suspense, with cool battles, clones and developments in a lot of characters.
    Also, not to forget, the introduction of Niles Ferrier, the starship thief, and of Garm Bel Iblis!
  12. neeldawg66 Force Ghost

star 8

Excellent, well written book. Had the same epic feel as the movies.
  13. Jbrewster1012 Jedi Knight

star 1
    10! This book was great! I felt like I was watching the movies, which I think is really good.
  14. YODA_SITH Force Ghost

star 4
    The same 8 the rest of TTT got. Wasn't as good as it sounded and It feels like a 6 to me beacause I was thinking it was going to be so much better but I gave it a 8 because I know that if I hadn't heard anything I would have liked it more.
  15. Corran10584 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    10 - As others have said, this is probably the best book of TTT. It is extremely well written and the character development progresses wonderfully a number of characters, I especially liked Bel Iblis' role throughout this series. I couldn't find anything bad about this book, the characters were great, the action was intense, the storyline was always leaving you wanting more, which you undoubtedly received. Wonderful book and a great addition to this trilogy.

~Corran
  16. LaYa_ Jedi Grand Master

star 5

It is awesome! :D
  17. XizorReincarnate Jedi Knight

star 2
    The entire series is awesome. I'm not sure I can pick a favorite out of the series.

I would like to ask your opinion about this entire trilogy however.

Someone on LucasForums recently described the Thrawn trilogy as "dated, cartoonish, and laughable." I heartily disagree with this opinion. What do you think?
  18. Gross-admiral_Thrawn Jedi Knight

star 2
    XizorReincarnate,
    who was this guy? I'll have a serious talk with him... :D
    Nop. It's not getting any better. Thrawn's Trilogy is the BEST of ALL EU, the best SW BOOKS EVER, they are!

Although I have to admit that "Dark Force Rising" may be the weakest from the Trilogy, it's still a great piece of fiction.
    The bad things are that it's the interlude before Thrawn's most famous tricks (such as fall of Ukio and the asteroid bombing of Coruscant) and after Thrawn's first victories (which are in HttE). It has a very gripping line connected with the Katana Fleet, however. And the story of Mara Jade in this book is quite a thing to follow.

DRF rules, Thrawn Trilogy rules. That's it. And it's not getting any better!
  19. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling

star 10

It's an excellent book. Leia's adventures with the Noghri were very well done.

I really hate the cover art, though.
  20. darthmace7 Jedi Youngling

star 4

I loved the trilogy, they all get a 10 in my book. This is probably the best of them.
  21. GeithJiseo Jedi Master

star 4

More of the same, only even worse. I can't remember a single memorable scene in the book; everything just blurred together.

But it didn't suck. It wasn't offensively stupid like The Crystal Star or The Black Fleet Crisis. It's kinda middle-of-the-road, in my opinion. *shrugs*
  22. Chiss_Imperial Jedi Knight

star 1
    Best Book in the best Trilogy. Some Trilogy suffer from "Bridge Syndrome" but this doesn't. I loved the part were all the soldiers Turn Against frey'lya and obey liea during the Katana battle.
    Deadly book=10
  23. Thrawn1786 Force Ghost

star 5
    10. A middle book is usually the most difficult to pull off, and this one ended up being my favorite of the whole shebang! 8-} With the exception of missing Leia hiding out with the Noghri, Thrawn seems to be on top of the game plan. Every time Niles Ferrier would enter the picture I felt like chanting "Weasel" ala Bobby Heenan. And finally it's great at the end for Fey'lya's bubble to burst.
  24. DarthShona Force Ghost

star 5
    10! Definately the best book of the best trilogy!
  25. crashdown Force Ghost

star 4
    I give it an 8.

With this book, I was finally starting to get into the trilogy.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.