main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Dark Future: A long time after ROTJ

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Xarus, May 30, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xarus

Xarus Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 22, 1999
    OK, this is not a story post, sorry about that. This post is meant only to provide background for the story, if you're not interested, hop down to the next post where the story begins.

I got the inspiration for this story when reading the excellent Sands of Time: 500 years after ROTJ, a story that takes place in a distant future (about 600-700 years after ROTJ) in the SW galaxy. If you're familiar with that story you'll find that the only thing I've borrowed is the future theme. This future is quite different. Instead of 500 years of peace, the galaxy has suffered under almost constant warfare, major and minor and the Jedi have developed a branch of their order dedicated only to the art of combat. This is not all that has changed, however. The Skywalker bloodline is still strong among Jedi ranks, but they are now more known for their financial exploits. The SkyWalk Corporation is amongst the wealthiest and most powerful private institutions in the Galaxy, earning astronomical sums every standard year, and since the Jedi Order owns 15% of the business, they too are wealthy beyond measure. In fact, the Jedi's armed forces are better equipped than the Republic Military. When speaking of the Republic, it too has changed. Now it's only a republic by name, it has changed in to a pure military and free trade union, but its bureaucracy is similar to that of the UN today, and it's power has been decimated. Some systems have left the "Republic" and formed their own alliances, refusing to be a part of a decaying system.

Technological advances have been slow, but a brilliant young scientist at the R&D Division at Solo Shipping Corporation, a division of SkyWalk Corp., developed a new generation of shield generators for capital ships a 150 years ago. These new shields are so powerful, that it takes an immense amount of power to destroy a large vessel, which makes fighters useless for anything else than small ships. Gone are the days when a few fighters could take out a command ship. Fighter shields are about the same, since the new shield generators are too big and require much energy to operate.

Even though the galaxy now has experienced a 40-year period of relative peace, the longest for several hundred years, a storm is starting to form. The Sith have returned somehow. 450 years ago, a young disgruntled Jedi apprentice happened to come across a historical data cube filled with information about the Sith and their arts. After intense studying, he claimed the title of Sith Master and took the name Darth Morgon, to symbolize the rise of the Sith again. The fourth Sith Master is still alive, Darth Guise, a 200-year old Falleen, bent on the destruction of the Jedi and the rule of the galaxy. He also happens to be the owner of one of SkyWalk competitors?. Let the games begin!!

//Xarus

ps English is not my native language, so if you see some mistakes, please point them out to me so that I can improve

2. Xarus

Jun 22, 1999
    OK, here goes. Hope that someone will like this...

As the twin suns rose above the horizon, letting loose the rays that both gave life and took it away, all activity started to slow down on Jedi Outpost Tattooine. This was the problem with this planet, Padawan Krix Norinne thought, the nights were too cold, and the days too hot. Why couldn't there be something in between? Krix had been here almost two years now, part of his final trial before he could be accepted as a Knight of the Protector order. Sometimes he wondered why he wanted to be a Protector; life would be easier as a member of the mainstream Jedi, who weren't obliged to participate in combat. These thoughts passed soon though, as he remembered the glory and respect of being a Protector, a defender of Justice, Peace, and Life, the core values of this valiant order. But why did he have to be placed on Tattooine? The planet was all sand and a few moisture farms, nothing worth protecting, much less attacking. And this desert armor was a real pain to wear.

All of the sudden he started to feel a sense of danger. Something was about to happen. He quickly checked his sensor equipment. The screens showed no signs of anything that could be a threat, in fact there was absolutely nothing out there in the wastes, but the feeling would not leave him. Slowly he started to stretch out with the Force, started to search for the threat. He could sense no life forms, but there was something out there, he was sure of it. Krix reached for his macrobinoculars and focused on the area where he had picked up a hint of?something. All that was visible were the dunes and the air shimmering in the heat. Nothing to be afraid of. Just as he was about to turn away, all hell broke loose. From nowhere, heavy blastercannon fire started to pummel the base, tightly followed by missiles. Krix Norinne would never become a full Knight.

In a different corner of the Galaxy, Darth Guise received the news.
    "The base is destroyed, my master. Six Jedi were found in the rubble." it was more a hiss than a voice
    "That was good news indeed, Lord Morte," he reassured his ghastly looking apprentice, "You have served me well, and when our time comes, you shall be rewarded. Now return to receive further instructions"
    "Yes, my master." The holographic image bowed, and then the connection was broken.

Darth Guise allowed himself the luxury of a smile, it was a grim smile however, and it would have scared any normal man to see it. He leaned back in his exclusive form-chair and thought: "Everything is proceeding according to my plans."

//Xarus

3. Xarus

Jun 22, 1999
    Hmm, no replies. Not a good sign, but I'm not the type of person who gives up. I just discovered that there is another thread with the phrase Dark Future in the title. As these stories are unrelated, I appologize for any confusion this may have caused

On Yavin IV a battle was raging. Three lightsaber-wielding opponents were facing each other in a frenzied fight. Kile Skywalker quickly blocked two quick blows aimed at his right shoulder and then quickly backpedaled to avoid the following strike from his second opponent. They were both competent fighters both, but they were just a challenge for Kile, nothing more. Kile was ambidextrous and he had mastered the skill of using two lightsabers at once, which made it easier for him to take on two opponents than for most Jedi. The Rodian struck again, and cursed as he found his target to no longer be there. The curse was cut short as Kile snapped a kick the Rodians gut, knocking him back a few feet. Using this to his advantage, Kile went to the offensive and aggressively attacked his other opponent, a young human female. She easily blocked his first saber, but was not prepared for the second that hit her straight in the chest. She slumped to the ground, out of the fight. Just in time Kile turned to face the Rodian that charged him in full speed, lightsaber swinging in a violent crisscross pattern. The sheer power of the attack almost overwhelmed Kile, forcing him to block the blow with both sabers to be able to withstand it. His opponent followed up with a quick slash against Kile's head, but Kile sidestepped and used his right saber to knock the Rodian's weapon to the ground as he thrust his left blade against the unprotected neck. With a normal lightsaber the head would probably been taken off, but this was a training saber and the outcome was only a light shock, knocking the Rodian out for a few seconds. Kile looked around at the circle of students. He could see a look of awe and disbelief on their faces, and the reason was easy to understand. It had taken him less than a minute to defeat two of the most promising students in the Protector Academy and it was evident that Kile hadn't used the full extent of his skills.

"The mistake that Tara and Geed was making is one of the most dangerous, and one that could very well prove fatal in a real battle." Kile began, "They overestimated their skill, and underestimated their opponent. A deadly combination, to say the least. They also made the mistake not to work as a unit, but rather as two single attackers. Had they attacked in a coordinated manner, I would have had severe difficulties to hold my own. Always assume that your enemy is better than you, until you have proven otherwise. Any questions?"

The young woman Tara raised his hand.

"Master Skywalker, I mean no disrespect, but why do we have to learn how to fight opponents with lightsabers? The Sith are extinct, and there have been no Dark Jedi occurrence for hundred of years."

"Lightsabers are part of our tradition, Tara, and we can never assume that another cult of Dark Siders won't surface in a near future. The safest way of defeating an opponent with a lightsaber is using one yourself. Also?"

Kile's lecture was cut short by the bothersome sound of his com-link. The face of one of the protocol droids appeared as he activated it.

"Master Skywalker, you're presence is required in the command center, sir"
    "You don't happen to know why?" Kile was a combat instructor, not a strategist, he was rarely in the command center.
    "I'm terribly sorry sir, but I don't have access to that information. I do apologize for my lack of knowledge."
    Knowing that it would be bad tact to keep his fellow Jedi waiting, he left for the command center.

The Avenue of Heroes, as the road to the command center was called, was lined with statues of the greatest Jedi Masters of the Jedi Order. And there, at the end of the Avenue, He stood, Kile's ancestor, Luke Skywalker, founder of the Jedi Order. No less than three statues had been risen to his honor. One showing him as t

4. JediStryker

JediStryker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 5, 2000
    This is a good story. The other one you saw is mine, it's called A Dark Future, but it's like three thousand years in the future, and the story is a lot different. Keep up your story, it's very well written.
    By the way, if you don't mind me asking, what is your native language? You would never be able to tell it wasn't english. Good job!

5. Xarus

Jun 22, 1999
    I'm Swedish, so my native language evidently is Swedish, but I was an exchange in the US a few years ago and that boosted my English skills a bit to say the least.

Thanks for your kind words, I don't possess the same talent that some people in this forum do, but I try to do my best.

6. Herman Snerd

Herman Snerd Jedi Master star 6

Oct 31, 1999
    This future is much darker than others I have read (my own included). I like it.

You've done a good job of establishing a mood for your story and of introducing characters. Keep it up.

And your English might be better than mine.

7. Xarus

Jun 22, 1999
    As Master Udho Tark, High Protector and Commander in Chief of the Jedi Armed Forces, approached the speaking podium, all chitchat fell quiet. The nineteen Jedi Masters now knew that something extremely important had happened since Master Tark himself would brief them. The old man stroked his gray beard and cleared his throat before he began his address.

"Brothers, it is a dark day today for the Protectors. In a single day we have lost three outposts in the Outer Rim, and nineteen brothers are now one with the Force." He waved his right hand, and a hologram appeared, showing the charred remains of the base on Tattooine. All that was left was ashes and the only signs of the Jedi were a blackened skeleton lying in the remains of a guard tower.

"The other bases look the same," Master Tark continued, "no alarms were sound and no signs of resistance can be found. We can only assume that they were taken completely by surprise, and judging from the damage, at close range as well. We might very well face a great threat in the near future and it is your job to keep our warriors prepared and ready. May the Force be with you." And just like that the meeting was over, almost as soon as it had begun. Kile rose to his feet and prepared to leave, when Master Tark spoke again:

"Master Skywalker, you are to stay here for now." It was not a request, it was an order.

"You are to perform a special mission for us, Master Skywalker," Master Tark continued when they were alone, "we need you to assist us in tracing this the source of this threat and to eliminate it."

This surprised Kile, and he was not slow to show it.
    "Why me, Master?" he asked, "I'm an instructor, not a detective."

"You are not just an instructor," the old man corrected him, "you're a Protector, and probably the best fighter that we have in our ranks, and more importantly in this case, you are a Skywalker. Your uncle is the wealthiest man in the Galaxy, and his intelligence resources are even better than ours are. This might prove extremely valuable. We have prepared a shuttle for you and your companions, you are to depart immediately."

"Companions? Who are they Master?" Kile wondered.

"I believe that you will find that out very soon." Master Tark replied an ambiguous smile on his face, "May the Force be with you Master Skywalker."

Knowing that he was being dismissed, Kile left for the hangar. Who could these companions be?

As he approached the hangar he could sense his Padawan learner Tara and Jedi Elegor, a male Caamaasi, rumored to be extremely intelligent, but the Caamaasi were'nt exactly known for their fighting skills. The Noghri Khatmier clan Khun'dal who had recently become a full Knight was known for his fierce combat skills, as was his whole species, and his presence both calmed and worried Kile. He could sense something else also, possibly droids. His guess was correct, he discovered, as the shuttle came in view. Behind the Jedi stood two ancient-looking droids, one dome-shaped, trashcan-looking thing, and one tall golden droid, with the shape of a human.

"Greetings Master Skywalker, I am C3PO, Human-Cyborg relations."

//Xarus

8. Jotun Denal

Jotun Denal Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 4, 1999
    I too have been inspired by the Sands of Time story and I as well am writing a story with a dark future...even darker than this! eek.gif

Anyway keep up the great work man!

9. Jean

Jean Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 7, 2003
    Upping for the move

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.