main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Dark Horse and its original characters

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Alixen, Jul 16, 2014.

1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I'll address this one, because if Havac knew me better I'd think he was talking directly to me. :p

My issue with "pet characters" is not that they are better at X, Y, and Z than the established characters. Well, except for Ahsoka Tano, because I think it's ridiculous to give a Padawan more knowledge than Jedi Masters and/show her being allowed to get away with the kind of back-talk and disobedience that Obi-Wan and Anakin would have been reprimanded for as Padawans.

Mara Jade: She was a cool character before she married Luke; afterwards I did not like her personality or the romance. Not because she criticizes Luke; hell, I don't even like Luke that much. I don't think he deserves to be called "pathetic" by his own wife but I don't think she needs to fawn over him either, that's not the point.

And I was really, really tired of the authors talking about how "strong and brave" she was. She wasn't what I would call a pet in the NJO; I just couldn't bring myself to care about her problems as much as the other characters did and that was jarring.

And that's my next point. Writing style. Show me that Mara is strong and brave. Don't have the other characters tell me about it. This was an issue in TCW as well. Whether Ahsoka actually was awesome or not could be debated but we got a lot of commentary that she was.

As far as Thrawn...this is where I think out shining a movie character is bad. Palpatine was supposed to be the most terrifying villain, and having Thrawn outsmart him sort of takes away from ROTJ's ending.

That said...the bigger issue there was, again, the other characters talking about how awesomely terrifying Thrawn is.

I don't care what other characters think of a character. I want to read about that character in action and form my own opinion.

Corran: I don't dislike the guy and I don't care that he is both Jedi and CorSec but I'm a little over his constant inner monologue. OK, Corran, I was sorry your father died when I read about it two books ago, can we go with the rest of the story now?

I haven't read the comics with Vos in them and can't comment. I actually kind of liked Hippie!Vos in TCW (*ducks for cover*).

I think K'Kruhk is my favorite Dark Horse OC.

2. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

Do so, right now :p

3. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Dark Horse's greatest achievement:

[​IMG]

--Adm. Nick

Revanfan1, Zorrixor, Gamiel and 8 others like this.
  4. Rogue Five

Rogue Five Jedi Padawan star 2

Jun 11, 2014
    What's so special about the Sullastan?

And on topic...Havac covered it. Actually, he kicked it's ***. So, just seconding him.

Although I like Jet Nebula.

anguirus2003, Revanfan1 and Iron_lord like this.
  5. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    Edit: is illiterate.

I agree with Havac when it comes to accusations of pet characters and Mary sue. I think it comes from people viewing a work as less legitimate than the films which belies the point of the EU?

Revanfan1 and Iron_lord like this.
  6. Alixen

Alixen Jedi Master star 4

Aug 7, 2003
    It was a little jarring, but my theory is that is how he gets when he is alone with friends, temporarily dropping the frowny-face persona. After all, there has to be something more to him. Or perhaps that's how he used to be, prior to the mind wipe (would make sense, as he injured himself showing off as a padawan, and seemed the showboating and impetuous type), and as part of his trying to blend back in with the Jedi felt the need to put it on as an act.

7. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    She uses the term ten years before they get married:

The Last Command:

"Quite a view, isn't it," Luke commented, coming up beside her and gazing over the city. "Must bring back memories for you."
    She threw him a patient look. "Translation: How am I feeling about the homecoming this time. You know, Skywalker - just between us - you're pretty pathetic when you try to be devious. If I were you, I'd give it up and just stick with that straight-out farm boy honesty."
    "Sorry," he said. "Too much time spent around Han, I guess."
    "And Karrde and me, I suppose?"
    "You want a straight-out farm boy honest answer to that?"
    She threw him a crooked smile. "I'm sorry I even brought it up."
    Luke smiled back, then turned serious again. "So how are you feeling?"

8. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    I've thought the Vos love and Cade hate to be kind of amusing since to me they had similar arcs. A lot of *gasp* Is our hero character falling to the dark side? Maybe! stretched out for seemingly endless issues and arcs.

Though I am interested in rereading Vos' entire arc and trying to imagine that TCW voice.

I tend to think the backlash is silly, in any case. So authors have pet characters. Yeah, well, its lets them be developed, to become rounded. They're memorable because they get that chance at the hands of skilled writers.

But just as silly is the backlash to the backlash. Guess what, not everyone is going to like

I certainly don't. So what?

9. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I-5 is a total self insertion

10. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Who?

11. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I-5YQ, a droid. It was a (terrible) joke.

12. Dartht Punk

Dartht Punk Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 17, 2014
    It's impossible.

The Vos' Clone Wars voice and attitude don't quite match up with the comic version.

zompusbite likes this.
  13. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I agree that they should have chosen somebody with a bit more name recognition.

It would be interesting/terrible if Darth Krayt had been revealed to JAINA. Talk about "Holy Plot-Twist Batman!"

That is what's make it funny

Now image that all kiffar speak like that.

14. Darth_Garak

Darth_Garak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    I'm actually fine with it being Hett. The only characters whose presence I didn't enjoy in Legacy were Tholme's girlfriend and The Sweet Hat (along with the person it sits upon - probably grew roots by this point). Those two added nothing to the story and their roles could have been fulfilled by anyone.

15. jfostrander01

jfostrander01 Writer: Dawn of the Jedi, Agent of the Empire star 3 VIP

Oct 26, 2001
    I thought I'd pop in and reply to a few points. When Jan and I did our first arc for SW. we thought it was only going to be that one arc. We chose to create a new character (Quinlan Vos) so as not to trip over the minefield that was and is SW continuity. At the time, there was no established team on the SW book. We made the case to DH that there should be, whether it was us or some other pairing (we of course thought it should be us). Having a regular team would help grow the readership, we felt. most comic books have a central character but using any of the Big Three at the time also had problems, we felt. You get constricted in how you can use and explore the character. So we had a central character in Quinlan Vos and surrounded him with his own supporting cast as well as working in established SW characters. We also wanted to use SW memes such as the allure of the Dark Sidew. With characters like Quin and, later, Cade, you didn't know how their story was going to end, unlike the established SW characters. That has narrative value. I wouldn't call Quin a "pet"; Villie, OTOH, yeah. For me anyway.<g>

making Jacen or Jaina into Darth Krayt wasn't in the cards; they were both in use at the time by the novelists. Same with the other Jedi such as Corran Horn. If they showed up in LEGACY, that means they survived the earlier books which reduces the tension in those books. Out of respect for our other creators, Jan and I opted not to do that. COULD they have been alive in the LEGACY era? Sure. We just didn't use them.

Having a central character tempted by the Dark Side is a SW meme and, yes, we used it often. Jan and I have felt that makes for a more interesting character and more story potential. If you look at my career, you'll see that I specialize in "gray" characters.

You may not agree with what we've done but there was solid reasoning behind what we did. Thought you should know.

-- John O

16. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    jfostrander01

For creating Gar Stazi, Gial Gahan, Jaius Yorub, Jhoram Bey, Anj Dahl, and the rest of the Legacy-era Galactic Alliance Remnant characters, I am forever in your debt! The best damned supporting "B" cast on the history of Star Wars comics, IMO. :D

--Adm. Nick

Force Smuggler likes this.
  17. Darth_Garak

Darth_Garak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    jfostrander01

I agree with AdmiralNick22 (the Stazi issues are still my favorite) but I have to add that I've enjoyed the Imperial Knights as well. Having heroic Imperials felt good. Having Hett as Darth Krayt also worked for me - T'ra Saa and K'Kruhk were the only ones that didn't work for me.

Oh and I enjoyed it Villie every time he showed up. He was fun.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  18. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    John and Jan don't get enough for dropping in the Calixte bombshell on fans at the end of Legacy #18. Everyone was so focused on Hett's identity......

I don't really buy the pet character critique, tends to be invoked as a reason to dislike a character when if you dislike a character, well you dislike a character and that's that. It is unlikely, even if used by a different author, with a different style, that you'll cease disliking said character.

19. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010
    @jfostrander01

I just really, really hope Marvel asks you and Jan to do something for their Star Wars line! Star Wars comics just aren't the same without you two!

Master_Lok and spicer like this.
  20. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    @jfostrander01 It just feel a bit insulting to Luke's order that those old order members survived and become the head of the new order while non of Luke's students or their descendant are really mentioned.

Alixen and Force Smuggler like this.
  21. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Ah, that's the reason I always assumed for the lack of any characters (or descendants of the characters) from the earlier NJO.

22. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    This! A Durron or a Horn would have worked way better imo.

23. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    But then lots of people would have complained that Durron or Horn sperm survived to create a descendant and that that spoils the story!

Alixen likes this.
  24. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    True but when Luke's order had been run into the ground by LOTF already...well, I just don't think that K'Kruhk is all that bad in retrospect. :p

In all seriousness, I would've been fine with the leaders of the Jedi in Legacy being all-new characters. It would've been a good way to compromise–you still have them as New Jedi Order members, but they also aren't related to the members we see in LOTF so it's not going to give away anything about what would happen in the novels, either. But honestly I never really had a problem with K'Kruhk being in Legacy.

Force Smuggler and Iron_lord like this.
  25. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Aside from Jysella and Valin we probably wouldn't see the Jedi baby in action in the books. Then again Denning had Allana as a soldier type in Apocalypse.
    Who else has a kid? The Solos, Skywalkers, Calrissians and Horns I think? What is so wrong about the other Jedi having kids?

Gamiel likes this.