main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Dark Horse and its original characters

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Alixen, Jul 16, 2014.

1. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    You mean beside twirling his thumbs while Luke searched high and low for jedi knowledge or the reinstated Republic was threatened once again?

Alixen, Revanfan1 and Force Smuggler like this.
  2. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I don't like K'khruk and Tra S'aa being in Legacy since we haven't seen how they joined the NJO. Give me that at least and I might change my mind. Right now it feels like they just came out of nowhere. The rest of the Civil war, the Vong, DNT, LOTF and FOTJ and still not in? Really?

Gamiel likes this.
  3. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Easy fix: They were utterly broken by Order 66 and took decades to recover from it.

4. Orman Tagge

Orman Tagge Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2014
    We saw K'kruhk after Order 66 though, and he was far from broken. Didn't he even have a group of padawans he was protecting?

5. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Because if they had joined, then DNT, LOTF, and FOTJ wouldn't exist?

Say... [face_thinking]

Kylun, zompusbite, Riv_Shiel and 3 others like this.
  6. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I wouldn't see that as a full recovery. Sure, he was protecting padawans but the aim was to hide from the Empire - and that was it.

zompusbite likes this.
  7. Orman Tagge

Orman Tagge Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2014
    I'm just saying that he didn't seem broken. I could see that he was afraid of straying too close to the dark side though.

Regarding Krayt being A'Sharad, it isn't really a bad plot twist, per say. It just didn't carry much shock factor. Most readers probably said "Who?", followed by "Poor Obi-Wan," followed by "Ok, that recap filled me in well enough. He used to be a Jedi. Back to the story!". But honestly, it was handled as well as it could've been. Nothing short of making a surviving Mace Windu into Darth Vaapad or something stupid like that would've carried any real oomph, without treading on the feet of DNT, LOTF, and FOTJ.

Now, allow me to address the issue of Quinlan Vos. He is a fantastic character. Possibly the best character in all of Star Wars. Talking about him makes me want to change my avatar, so I will. Good day.

Valin__Kenobi, Kylun and Gamiel like this.
  8. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    He isn't about fighting the Empire, or resisting, he just wants to leg it and protect the kids. All very laudable, but does it still render him a Jedi?

9. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    And who knows? He might be overcome by the full extent of everything later

10. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012

This

11. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010
    I never had a problem with PT era jedi being included in Legacy. Just because you don't see a descendent of Kyle or Corran doesn't mean they didn't have descendents that lived to legacy.

Maybe the descendents married into a into family like Jaina Solo into the Fel's. Use your imagination. Maybe we could have gotten a legacy volume 3 if DH didn't lose the license, and we could have seen more ties to New Republic era.

12. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Although K'Kruhk jarred me at first, I came to accept it as simply the reverse of what didn't happen.

Just because we saw no Horns or Katarns, it doesn't mean they weren't there; and vice versa, just because we never saw any Whipids or Neti, it doesn't mean they weren't around in LOTF either.

In the end, what I disliked was simply the fact we never (and now won't) got to read that story. It's why I wish they hadn't cancelled Invasion, as I always half hoped that might have decided to cameo them in.

Revanfan1, Force Smuggler and Gamiel like this.
  13. Alixen

Alixen Jedi Master star 4

Aug 7, 2003
    Nice to see you are still here and posting. :)

Let me preface this by pointing out I do like Quin, and Krayt to an exent. I certainly love the work you and Jan have done across the comics.

That said, my personal gripes are mainly K'Kruhk and T'ra Saa turning up as Jedi Masters and seemingly leading the tattered remnants Luke's order, (Luke's NJO being battered to a tattered remnant at all is an off topic issue), after going into hiding in O66 and not so much as (far as we know) lifting a finger in rebuilding it with him. Really, there seems no other reason to them turning up than they were in Republic. Their role could have been played by any new Jedi, with a famous last name or not, as this is over a hundres years after FotJ. I have to say I very much agree with Gamiel on this one.

The rest I completely take on board what you are saying, and generally like the characters that I mention in the OP. I started the thread maionly because these days 'pet characters' are raised a lot in discussion, and yet I rarely see them mentioned in relation to the Dark Horse comics, and was curious why. After all, the deepest flattery is that it seems yours and Jan's comics are actually what most people are going to miss and mourn once the lisence passes to Marvel. I'd personally take pride in that. These characters and your contributions are potentially more important and valued than new films and Rebels to some fans here. That is pretty awesome.

For my part KOTOR, Republic, and Legacy do indeed shine in the EU above a lot of the other stuff. A few details might bother me, but thats my personal take. So, thank you, and Jan, for the stories you have made part of Star Wars.

Force Smuggler and blackmyron like this.
  14. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Nice to see Mr. Ostrander again, haven't seen him post here for a while, though I know that's because there haven't been many Star Wars comics lately (relatively speaking compared to when Legacy was at its height, then DotJ and Agent of the Empire), and he's been busy with his current projects.

I know its been speculated before, possibly confirmed before too, that that's why there were no Horns or Durrons, to avoid stepping on Del Rey's stories (not like Del Rey didn't rip off ideas from Legacy as their plots seem incomplete at best, so they turn to setting things up for the Legacy-era status quo when there's nothing else left to fill page space). Still, I wish we could have gotten more new Jedi- like instead of K'kruhk and Traa'saa, another senior Jedi like Wolf Sazen. If those two had met Krayt in person, it could have made for an interesting old Jedi Order reunion (wonder if that was ever planned, if the comic had lasted longer). It also doesn't help that the Jedi seem like the most minor faction in the Legacy-era. Sure they were wiped out, but the IKs seem to get more page time and the Jedi seem to be relegated to the background. Such as that Hidden Temple arc had those four Jedi on the cover, but they were pushed back until a later issue, and then most of them died during War without doing much.

This isn't the Legacy comics' fault, but it also hurts that apparently humans in the GFFA live for quite a long while. That "60 is the new 40", though it seemed more like an excuse for why grandpas like Han Solo and Boba Fett were still involved in running gunbattles (such as the time the Solos, including Allana, were trapped in the Sith-occupied Jedi Temple on Coruscant, in one of the most contrived and stupid moments of FotJ). So there's a more than decent chance Corran or Kyp could live to the Legacy era (much less Corran's kids), especially as its possible Force users live longer than normal, but the Legacy comics work better based on the normal idea of about a century being a normal human lifespan. Sure, there's plenty of non-humans, but Star Wars is usually a human-centric story, which is another dead eopie of a thread.

I don't mind the idea that K'kruhk or Traa'saa were simply off-screen helping train Jedi during whatever era they rejoined the galaxy from wherever they were, just wish we had seen more of the Jedi, but the cast was already pretty full with Cade, Krayt and all his Sith, Fel and his IKs, not to mention Stazi and the GA barely showed up between every other major arc.

Thank you for the post, I understand and can see the reasons why the story was written that way, but its also why Legacy isn't my super-favorite story. Well, most of Legacy isn't my favorite series, but the Stazi issues were awesome.

I'm not sure the A'Sharad reveal was ever meant to be that big a shock, the Corde thing is much bigger, and was the perfect way to end a major arc. The name Darth Krayt and all, as well as the Obi-wan cover, were all obvious hints that he would turn out to be A'Sharad. Heck, in universe most people wouldn't know him. Cade's reaction was "Who cares?", something like that. Come to think of it, since Cade visited Tatooine later on, too bad he didn't run into anything A'sharad related.

Jedi Ben and Iron_lord like this.
  15. jfostrander01

jfostrander01 Writer: Dawn of the Jedi, Agent of the Empire star 3 VIP

Oct 26, 2001
    RE K'Kruhk and T'ra

We used them because we had some control over them. Why didn't they show up sooner? My thought was that K'Kruhk was marooned on a planet that was rarely visited and had little or no contact with the outside world. (Given the size of a galaxy, that shouldn't be impossible.) I never got around to saying that in a script. Don't forget -- when he disappeared, the Sith were in control and the Jedi Order was dead. As for T'ra, Tholme eventually died and I think he was buried on Anzat. T'ra took root over his grave and contemplated the Universe. She became detached from daily comings and goings. Anzat was not often visited by outsiders. Again, she might not have known about Palpatine's downfall. She might have felt it through the Force. Perhaps her visions told her she was not needed at that time. The Old Jedi Order failed and died. That could be reason enough to not intervene. When she felt a call in the Force, she answered.

There was never time to get into these stories in the book and I'm sorry for that. I won't even say this is exactly what we might have done. I'm just pointing out that there are lots of possibilities and reasons as to why K'Kruhk and T'ra didn't show up sooner. Nor am I trying to change anyone's minds about them. If you don't like them, you don't like them. Just giving another view.

-- JohnO

16. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I have the first two Legacy comics but have not read them yet, and I do want to get the rest before Dark Horse's license expires.

I'm actually excited that K'Kruhk is there.

17. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Interesting insight jfostrander01

Read them!

BoromirsFan and spicer like this.
  18. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010
    When re-reading the legacy comics you made, I particularly liked how you linked Legacy to various parts of the saga. From Old Republic, PT, OT, NJO etc. I only wished that perhaps Anakin Solo could have had some sort of appearance. Real or Death stick-induced.

Revanfan1 and Force Smuggler like this.
  19. zompusbite

zompusbite Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 3, 2014
    Thanks sir, seriously. Quin, Tholme, Aayla, T'ra, Zao, Fay, Jon Antilles, Nico Diath, Knol Ven'nari and many more.... than you.

20. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    I have two theories as to why not only were KKrukh and Tra and the like not present, but do show up later-
    First, the reason they sat out the GCW was that they were hiding/focused on protecting people, keeping a low profile. Some Jedi do work with the Rebellion, but they tend to get hunted down/ eliminated after a while, like Kota or Kenobi when he stopped hiding and tried to openly join. Then after a while, while Luke was tryin to rebuild the Jedi, many of the old Jedi decided not to get involved because of the catastrophic failure and destruction of the old Order they were part of. Better to have Luke start fresh than influence it with ideas that were clearly problematic. Some stayed retired, others started up their own training groups and feeder programs to find force sensatives and give them some basic training before before sending them in Lukes direction. We saw Saba Sebatayne with her own little group, it makes sense that there were others.

Then the only reason that KKrukh and Tra came back in legacy is that most of the big names that we know from Lukes order were first on the hit list for the Sith, and so there was really no one left to do it.

Kylun likes this.
  21. Captain RX

Captain RX Jedi Master star 2

Jul 30, 2014
    Man forget about these goofy jedi characters. The best dark horse original character will forever be Kir Kanos.

22. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    When I look at all the original Star Wars characters created across all media, I think Dark Horse comics has the record for the creating the best ones. It's a true shame if they don't reappear in the new canon, I'm really excited about the new novel with Vos...I just hope he is portrayed correctly. After Luke Skywalker and Kyle Katarn, Quinlan Vos and possibly K'Kruhk are my favorite Jedi characters. In a franchise with so many lovely aliens, it's rare to have the favorites be human.

23. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Why do you think his voice don't quite match up with the comic version? Regarding his attitude so was it rather similar to how he was in Infiniti's End if less guarded.

24. Davak24

Davak24 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 15, 2015
    Ahsoka Tano

25. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    The best DH character is Villie.

Gamiel and Force Smuggler like this.