main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Dark Jedi vs. Gray Jedi vs. Light Sith

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Charon Lefleur, Jun 29, 2015.

1. Charon Lefleur

Charon Lefleur Jedi Youngling

Jun 17, 2015
    I understand the fundamentals of what makes a Jedi light, dark or gray and I understand that there are light Sith but I was wondering if there's any easy guide that one would use to determine into which of these categories a character might fall. The light Sith is the most obvious but sometimes I have trouble differentiating between Dark Jedi and Gray Jedi.

2. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I really don't think so. I believe as yet they are truly EU concepts not that fleshed out. Many here don't even like it when someone admits/points out Jedi have flaws/do similar to Sith with no consequences, same with believing not all Sith are irredeemably 'evil'. It's all perceptions. *Shrugs*

3. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    This looks like something Charlemagne19 could be interested in.

I don't know about light Sith but the term dark & grey Jedi is mostly fanon and out-of-'verse terminology.

Dark jedi are often used to describe a person who has jedi training but uses the dark side and is doing bad deeds (like Ventriss, Brakiss and Joruus C'baoth), but it is also sometime used to describe any dark side user who is around jedi level of power.

Grey jedi is mostly used to describe any jedi that is the jedi equivalent to the cowboy cope; a jedi who do what he think is right instead of following the law, code and/or his superiors decision. Often a grey jedi alos use the dark side from time to time but never in larger amount. Some jedi who are usually called 'grey' are Quinlan Vos, Qui-Gon and Kyle Katarn. The term grey jedi is also used to describe most of the jedi splinter groups that the EU have created, like the Altisian Jedi. I think I have also seen it being used to describe non-jedi Force users who have similar powers and/or training to the jedi.

4. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    Charon Lefleur likes this.
  5. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    there are no such thing as any of those.

6. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    As far as I'm aware these things do not appear in the saga. Presumably they are EU concepts? If so, EU is the pace to be discussing them, so moving.

7. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    everyone thought Qui-Gon was a gray Jedi but he was just an awesome Jedi

8. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    The Episode 1 script sort of disagrees, as he seemed to have no clue what he was going on Tantooine ;)

9. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Krell's a good example of a "Jedi who has fallen to the Dark Side yet is not a Sith" - Dark Jedi being a good shorthand for this.

10. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I think that Qui-Gon is a truer light side user than most of the other prequel Jedi.

11. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    "Gray" in this case, was more "not as obedient to the Council as most Masters" than "uses the Dark Side routinely, without Falling"

It was in one of the pre-TPM comics - I think when a Master was being considered to fill an empty space on the Council. Qui-Gon's name came up - and Master Tyvokka countered it, ending with the phrase "Some think he is a Gray Jedi".

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Tyvokka

12. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
  13. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    He knew what he was doing when he wiped out Mos Espa before they left as "unfinished business."

Revanfan1 and Charon Lefleur like this.
  14. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    jocasta nu, streen and thracia cho leem are all examples of grey jedi

dooku would have been a grey jedi but he quit

15. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Jocasta? What source says that?

Streen seems pretty "mainstream to Luke's order" in the Bantam books - Luke even appoints him head of the academy for the duration of the Black Fleet Crisis books, when he goes into seclusion. Not sure why he'd be "greyer" than Luke's other graduates.

16. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    also you could easily make the argument that by ANH Obi-Wan had become a gray jedi

EDIT:

oh yeah and then of course from kotor there's jolee bindo who is another good example

(not juhani though; she is a gay jedi)

17. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Trip can you explain why you think Jocasta Nu, Streen and ANH Obi-Wan are examples of grey jedi?

18. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Yeah unless you have Leland quotes to back you I don't believe it

19. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Dark Jedi no longer exist as a term, having died out around the time of the PT. The term is actively discouraged.

And as noted by iron_lord, the term gray Jedi was very often misused to describe people who used the dark side allegedly without falling. I just call those... dark siders.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Charon Lefleur and Gamiel like this.
  20. Havoc123

Havoc123 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 26, 2013
    I always thought Dark Jedi was just a slang term to refer to Dark siders when the Jedi is all people knew of Force Users. After Episode 6 when the NJO is founded and several other Force sects come out of hiding, I doubt the term remains as I don't think say.. the Jensaarai, Dathomiri Witches, Imperial Knights and so on would like to fall under the all-encompassing title of 'Jedi'. In the Old Republic (from early to PT), It's normal that 'Jedi' is used because Jedi are all the common people ever know of Force Users. There's no other major sects that the Galaxy knows of in the early periods, but this changes in NJO.

21. Charon Lefleur

Charon Lefleur Jedi Youngling

Jun 17, 2015
    Thanks for clarifying - this discussion has actually helped me a lot in determining my own idea of the parameters. It was Count Dooku that actually made me think of this (hence my accidentally posting this in a non-extended universe part of the forum). While he eventually becomes Darth Tyrannus, I wondered if he'd been in a Dark Jedi or Grey Jedi status prior.

22. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Havoc123, beside the Imperial Knights (who did not come into existence at least ten years after the NJO) so would I not call either the Jensaarai or Dathomiri Witches any more known post RotJ or NJO then they were before.

Also what about all the other Force traditions that existed before the coming of the Empire?

23. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Dark Jedi was more than slang, the people themselves used it (see esp. Dark Forces II).

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

24. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    But were not Jerec a former jedi gone dark and he stood for the training for at least some of his posse?

25. Havoc123

Havoc123 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 26, 2013
    I would argue that the Dathomiri Witches got plenty of exposure as two of them ended up in charge of the Hapes Consortium, first Teneniel and then Tenel Ka. Tenel Ka may have officially adopted plenty of Jedi beliefs, but culturally she was Dathomiri through and through. Jensaarai meanwhile actively fought in the Yuuzhan Vong War, you can't get more exposure than that. And yeah I know Imperial Knights aren't NJO but I'm saying around the rough time period, NJO-LOTF-FOTJ, it's obvious the Imperial Knights were meant to be formed somewhere in the 40s ABY if Legends wasn't cancelled.

It was the unofficial name for his group, usually Qu Rahn and Kyle Katarn spoke of them as Dark Jedi. Some of them even identified themselves as Sith (Pic and Gorc) and I believe Jerec never stopped officially holding the title of Inquisitor. It's been awhile since I played DFII so I may be wrong on that. But the point is each Dark Jedi differs extremely. The original Dark Jedi exiles are completely different from Jerec's group, and both are different from Alema Rar. The original Dark Jedi were called that because 'Jedi' is all they knew of Force Users, then they went on to take the title of Sith from Korriban's Sith species. There is no official 'Dark Jedi' identity, it's simply a Dark Sider that could be completely variable on beliefs, power level, and so on.