main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Dark Journey Dissapointment [Spoilers obviously]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Veng_Commando, Feb 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Veng_Commando

Veng_Commando Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 26, 2001
    I spelled obviously wrong, right? Anyways, I tihnk the abusive force manipulation was rather extreme, I was rather dissapointed. Any one agree? And it was abrupt, too short. The ending made little sense as well. Any more comments?

2. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
  3. Veng_Commando

Oct 26, 2001
    I never understood the +1 bit

4. Darth Ludicrous

Darth Ludicrous Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 25, 2000
    I'm still reading

5. very-superior

very-superior Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 11, 2002
    +1 stands for post count +1 when you are spamming or are posting off topic

so this is a nice +1

6. Cypher18

Cypher18 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 1, 2001
    i hated how jaina could just throw lightning at kyp and it not hurt him.

7. Face Loran

Face Loran Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 21, 1999
    I thought that was one of the best parts! :p :D

8. KansasNavy

KansasNavy Jedi Master star 4

Mar 10, 2001
    I don't how Jaina was so easily able to foil the Vong. It took Danni and Cilghal all that time to figure out how to jam them, then Jaina comes along and is able to do even better in a few weeks without all the research data and everything Danni and Cilghal took.

Also, how can you maneuver a 440 meter long frigate so that laser and plasma shots all miss? Cunningham wrote it like they were piloting a starfighter.

9. Alderaan_

Alderaan_ Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 14, 2001
    Dark Journey wasn't bad imo. I just wish Jaina would've turned farther to the dark side.

10. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    It was too fast and too wrapped up in the happenings of the Hapan royal court. I expected there to be more concerning Kyp and Jag's relations with Jaina, and while there was more concerning Kyp's relation with her than there was concerning Jag's, these were very few. And were done with as quickly as possible to get back to the court intrigue. And that part was too drawn out. But at least it wasn't Before the Storm or Shield of Lies. Or the Queen Amidala Journal.

11. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    While I thought DJ was pretty solid, it's main weakness was the use of the Hapan court plot...in context withthe Vong invasion situation, the whole Hapan court intrigue plot seemed rather trivial to me.

12. Knight1192

Feb 5, 2000
    What exactly happened with the Vong. I mean, in the beginning you get the sense their going to have a major role in the book, then at the end it's like they finally show up, like it took them that long to get from Myrkr to Hapes. Plus it's like they just plain gave up, the sacrifice wasn't that important. Yet they had a very good idea what part of the galaxy to start searching in. And they showed up maybe two, three times in the middle of the book. They really weren't that important to it, and Tsavong Lah seemed even less important than Luke and Mara, how appeared in about as many scenes as he did, but actually seemed to have more to do than he did. They helped Han remember why he'd gotten into a fight on Hapes in the first place. Luke sets fire to the funeral pyre. (Is this going to be a theme with the Skywalker-Solo family, perhaps even the Jedi order? Luke lighting the funeral pyre as he did on Endor for his father.) Mara threatening Kyp to keep from harming Jaina. Actually, they seemed to be in more scenes than he did, now that I think about it.

13. Veng_Commando

Oct 26, 2001
    Well, I hated all the whole dark force power usage. And I think Jag had a too small a part...

14. chissdude10

chissdude10 Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 26, 2001
    Jags a bum...I always thought 1+ means you higher your opinion of someone.

15. Hapan_Kickboxer

Hapan_Kickboxer Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 26, 2002
    I liked Jag in this book: poor guy kep wandering around, trying to do Jaina a favor! A thank-less job!

HK

16. Veng_Commando

Oct 26, 2001
    I wish I could see a better discription of Jagged

17. Jedi_Jaina_Durron

Jedi_Jaina_Durron Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2001
    I liked it. It wasn't long enough, nor did it have enough mushy romance stuff. But you guys probably didn't want to see that anyways. I did like Jaina and Kyp's interaction. Call me crazy (and I'm sure you will) but I thought they had great chemistry.

18. Knight1192

Feb 5, 2000
    Only for teacher and student. There was no romantic chemistry between the two. And Kyp knows where her heart is, even if she's not ready to admit it.

19. NovaScarlette

NovaScarlette Jedi Youngling

Feb 26, 2002
    with each new book i'm gaining more respect towards Kyp. he really makes a lot of sense plus hell, look at Luke now sorta following Kyp with the "jedi for jedi" idea.

it was also a nice touch that Kyp is an "outsider" to his fellow jedi, yet he still fights for them and risks his life all the time, even for the most minor "battles"/things.

the YV were pointless and so was Tsavong Lah's son...so at the end he sacrifices himself...lame...why introduce him? it's like Shadeo Shai all over again....a one book type deal...booooooooriiiiiiiiing.

that bit of Jaina figuring out how to mess up the YV ships so easily, when it took Danni and Co. weeks to do...yes that was indeed cheesy...because she's of solo/skywalker blood, she can do anything and do it better...

the lack of mara jade was good too. i'm really tired of her treating luke like crap, but he's p*****wipped anyways, poor man didn't get any for the longest time so i guess it's understandable from his "point of view".

20. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    <<I don't how Jaina was so easily able to foil the Vong. It took Danni and Cilghal all that time to figure out how to jam them, then Jaina comes along and is able to do even better in a few weeks without all the research data and everything Danni and Cilghal took>>

This looks like a perfect time to quote Ian Malcolm from Jurassic Park (well, paraphrase)

They took what other people had done, and just took it to the next step without doing any of the work for themselves.

And +1 means you're posting just to up your post count because you have no interest in replying to the thread. It basically means it's not worth my time :D

No offense to the original poster, but I'm just tired of everyone starting a new thread to complain about a book when there are already a dozen or more such threads. It gets tiring seeing the majority of threads start off with "Why I hate ...", "What I don't like ...", etc. [face_plain]

wk

21. Jedi_Jaina_Durron

Jedi_Jaina_Durron Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2001
    Knight, I will always think Kyp and Jaina belong together and there are others who agree with me. Besides the obvious ones like ReaperFett, there's a whole group on the fanfic boards who are obsessed with the idea. There has to be about twenty J/K fics.

22. Resolute

Resolute Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 11, 2002
    Everyone hated Dark Journey! It had bad writing, horrible character development, unspeakable plot, and an even worse ending!

And no, you didn't spell Obviously wrong.

Duhh... obviously.

23. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    Everyone hated Dark Journey! It had bad writing, horrible character development, unspeakable plot, and an even worse ending!

Rrrright

24. Knight1192

Feb 5, 2000
    Hold it, where do you get I hated DJ? I know my comments may lead folks to believe that, but that's not so. DJ is not going to be my favorite book, but I don't hate it. I only hate three SW books, and all three have been listed on this thread. I just feel that DJ was too focused on the Hapan court intrigue and rushed through everything else whenever something stole time from the court intrigue.

Plenty of folks know how I feel about the NJO Kyp. But despite my feelings about him, I felt that he was featured too little in the book. And Jag had even less time. Everything I had heard concerning the book suggested both would play bigger roles than they did. But they ended up being minor characters of little importance. That was something that bothered me.

25. Howlrunner

Howlrunner Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 25, 2001
    Just a "filler" book to keep the cash flow going into the Del Rey coffers. That and they needed a book where Jaina went Dark so they could refer to it later. That's about all it was. Too bad they used a really good author for filler fodder. =(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.