main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Dark Journey Question: Possible Spoilers

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Lianna, Jan 27, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lianna

Lianna Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 9, 2001
    I've posted this on a couple of threads and have yet to get an answer so I decided to create my own thread. In a reveiw on the official site(www.starwars.com/eu/news/2001/09/news20010904.html) it says that Jaina seeks refuge on Hapes where the Jedi are held responsible for a tragedy long past. I was wondering, what was the tragedy? I've heard everything else under the sun about the book, its plot (or lack thereof, its charaters, deaths, ect...but nothing about this supposed tragedy. What was it? Or did I miss something? Also, did the plots to Cunnigham's three Gamer stories play any role in the book (aside from Jaina becoming Kyp's apprentice)?

2. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    I think the tragady is either Isiolders marrige to tenenial djo or the desruction of the hapen fleet

3. JediJSolo

JediJSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2001
    I think the tragady is either Isiolders marrige to tenenial djo or the desruction of the hapen fleet

Actually, it?s neither. Ta?a Chume talks about it in The Courtship of Princess Leia, but I can?t remember what it was?

4. Danamel99

Danamel99 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 10, 2001
    It refers to the destruction of most of the Hapan fleet when Han's cousin Thrackan Sal-Solo used Centerpoint Station. Leia had convinced the people from Hapes to help even though they are by nature a very secluded people...then when they sent their fleet, most of it was destroyed. This led to even more anti-Jedi sentiment as it was Anakin who armed Centerpoint and Leia who convinced them to send the fleet.( In know she's not a full fledged Jedi, but it didn't help that she had some training )

5. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    ?[face_plain]

People, people... the long-standing grievance the Hapans have with the Jedi would most likely be their handling of Allya.

One wonders why the Jedi held to their "banishment" doctrine rather than outright destruction, when it has done so much more harm (creation of the Sith as evil Darksiders, etc).

The Jedi sent Allya to Dathomir. While banishment seemed best for Allya - she exhibited true signs of being reformed - it ended up causing the creation of the Nightsisters.

The Jedi-Dathomiri conflict came to a head over the Chu'unthor's crash.

The whole Jedi handling of events and their "meddling ways" into the affairs of the Dathomiri are most likelt what their talking about.

Not the whacking of their fleet by Thracken.

6. JediJSolo

Jun 11, 2001
    ?A tragedy long past? usually doesn?t refer to something that only happened two years ago. The Hapan people have always hated the Jedi. I looked through The Courtship of Princess Leia and I couldn?t find any mention of what the Jedi had done to the Hapan people to make them so hated. However, I did find a mention of Ta?a Chume and her mother before her hating the Jedi just as much, if not more so than the Emperor himself.

Edit:
    Genghis12, we?re not talking about Dathomiri. We?re talking about Hapes. Hapes and Dathomiri are linked only by the current royal family. I can?t think of any other connection to Allya that would make Ta?a Chume?s mother hate the Jedi so much. Unless Allya was originally from Hapes?

7. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    JediSolo...
    Dathomir is within the Hapes Consortium (it was admitted to the Consortium), therefore its problems are Hapan problems.

8. Kimball_Kinnison

Kimball_Kinnison Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2001
    However, Genghis, the tragedy was mentioned before the Hapans even knew of the existence of Dathomir. Remember, Ta Chu'me had to extract its location from the person that lost the planet to Han.

I don't think they've ever goven the details of the tragedy.

Kimball Kinnison

9. Rebecca191

Rebecca191 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 2, 1999
    Shawnkyr shows up, from Red Sky, Blue Flame. She came with Jag to Hapes.

10. Lord_Riven

Lord_Riven Jedi Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    The Hapes system was originally inhabited by the Lorell Raiders. The Old Republic Jedi wiped them all out leaving only the females behind, starting the Queen Mother thing. Isn't this the tragic past??

11. JediJSolo

Jun 11, 2001
    Genghis12, when was Dathomir admitted to the Hapes Consortium? It is extremely unlikely that it happened before Isolder married Tenenial Djo. The Hapans were isolationists, and I doubt that they would have gone out exploring for a planet as unimportant as Dathomir before they joined the NR. And then there is the evidence that Kimball_Kinnison mentioned of Ta?a Chume having to extract the location of Dathomir from the planet?s original owner.

This evidence suggests, as Kimball_Kinnison said, that the Hapans didn?t even know of the existence of Dathomir until Han dragged Leia there. That means that Ta?a Chume and her mother?s hatred for the Jedi is still unexplained.

Rebecca, who is Shawnkyr? I never read Red Sky, Blue Flame.

Edit: Lord_Riven, that is indeed a tragic past, but why would Ta?a Chume hate the Jedi for that? The Jedi killed the men who had kidnapped, raped, and murdered her ancestors. I would think that she would be grateful.

12. Lianna

Nov 9, 2001
    I'm glad someone mentioned Shawnkyr and Red Flame Blue because I was wondering if the tragedy might not have something to do with the events in that story. I know that the review on the official site says that Jaina goes to Hapan where the Jedi are held responsible for a tragedy long past. It does not neccisarily mean that the tragedy took place in Hapes or that the Hapans are the ones who hold the grudge. It all depends on how you read the statement. It could simply mean that while in the Hapan Cluster, the Jedi are held responsible for a tragedy long past. Meaning that there is a presence in the Hapan Cluster at the time that holds the Jedi responsible for a tragedy long past. It could explain the Chiss presence in Hapes as in Red Flame Blue Sky, a chiss base was destroyed by Jedi spies (as well as the Chiss academy that Jag Fel was attending. The characters in the story assume that it was smugglers but it was never really confirms, still there is not enough evidence to support that the Jedi had anything to do with that) which as I remember it was Baron Fel's command and if I'm not mistaken, he is in the book, though briefly. But from what I'm reading the tragedy must not even be mentioned in the book. This makes me wonder because from the way it was in the preview I was under the impression that it was a major plot theme in the story.

13. Rebecca191

Nov 2, 1999
    I honestly didn't get what that part of the summary had to do with the story. Maybe I'm being dense but I really didn't see why that was in the summary, the Jedi being blamed... it didn't have really a role in the story IMO... unless I'm completely dense.

14. JediJSolo

Jun 11, 2001
    Well, great. That debate ended rather anticlimactically. :p :)

15. Lianna

Nov 9, 2001
    I doubt that you're dense Rebecca. From the posts of those who have read the book, I gather that nothing of the tragedy was mentioned in the story. It leads me to believe that perhaps Elaine or Delrey might have decided to switch gears with the story after the summary was put out.

16. Lord_Riven

Lord_Riven Jedi Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    JediJSolo, even though I haven't read CoPL for a while, I remeber that Isolder says that Ta'chume hates the Jedi and that it does stem from past events which is why he tells Luke to be on guard when going to Dathomir.

17. JediJSolo

Jun 11, 2001
    I just got DJ today, and I haven?t gotten very far, but there has been a lot of talk about Fondor and the Hapans original distaste for the Jedi.

As much as I don?t think of you as dense, Rebecca, from what I have read those tragedies long past have been the topic of much discussion so far?

18. Rebecca191

Nov 2, 1999
    Didn't seem to have an impact on the plot as described on the back cover. The Hapan plot was mostly Ta'Chume conspiring against Tennenial Djo, it seemed.... and trying to get Jaina to agree to be queen.

19. JediJSolo

Jun 11, 2001
    Gee thanks, Rebecca. I hadn?t gotten to that part yet. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.