main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Dark Journey

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Luxor-Three, Feb 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luxor-Three

Luxor-Three Jedi Youngling star 1

May 27, 2001
    I was not impressed or satisfied with Dark Journey! I felt that the way SBS ended that the series would be kicked up a notch by Jaina totally engulfing herself with the Dark Side. Instead, we read a lot of fluff and not much action. I believe that Dark Journey was stretched out and could have been written in half as many pages as Cunningham used. Don't get me wrong there were some cool parts like when Kyp deflected Jaina's force lightning........but those action scenes were few and far between.
    Where was Lando and his droids? How about Lea finally dedicating herself to becoming a Jedi? Vergere, Danni Quee? A lot of characters that can turn this series into a really great story are being left out. Maybe the powers that be are trying to stretch this out to milk as much money as possible!
    I am a little aggravated, can you tell? All in all, I will continue reading, hoping that the authors pick up the pace a little. Thoughts or comments?

2. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    Dude, not only is this very redundant, but there's another one in the first 4 threads!!!!!

wk

3. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    Instead, we read a lot of fluff and not much action

You call it fluff, I call it character building

Where was Lando and his droids?

In the next series of books, taking place at the same time

How about Lea finally dedicating herself to becoming a Jedi?

How can you put that against DJ?

Vergere, Danni Quee?

Traitor at the same time, off doing something else

A lot of characters that can turn this series into a really great story are being left out

Because they'd be redundant in the story

Maybe the powers that be are trying to stretch this out to milk as much money as possible!

Maybe you're now not talking sense :)

4. I-poodoo

I-poodoo Jedi Padawan star 4

May 1, 2001
    The problem you spoke of Luxor-three, was because the next few books happen during the same time (approximately right after SbS) this one just focused on Jaina and her flirtations with the darkside. The next one Rebel Dream is about Wedge, the NR, and I assume Luke, Leia, and maybe Danni since she's on Eclipse (I think).

What Del Rey did was realize that the after-events of SbS was too large and disconnected to put in one book, so they chopped'em up into three or four seperate books focused upon the characters they need to advance.

I hear RD is going to focus on Wedge right after the battle for coruscant (after SbS).

5. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    Dark Journey - Jaina, Kyp, and Jag

Enemy Lines - Wedge, NR military, Han, Luke, Leia

Traitor - Jacen, Vong

All take place at approx. the same time (or so we've been told)

wk

6. Alderaan_

Alderaan_ Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 14, 2001
    I liked the Vergere cameo, miniscule as it was.

7. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    I agree. I think everything will make more sense after we've read Destiny's Way, especially if all of the novles do occur simulteaneously as we have been led to believe.

8. Olstykke

Olstykke Jedi Youngling

Feb 15, 2002
    THis is the WORST book in the NJO. (THere are major descrepncies (ie in the ways the Yammosks are blocked)

I have read all of the star wars books after New hope.

The only consisten thread is the books that suck re the ones wriitten by CHICKS!

Anakins death made a sort of sense but Jacen's????

9. JadedofMara

JadedofMara Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 16, 2001
    The only consisten thread is the books that suck re the ones wriitten by CHICKS!

DAMN!! ITS YOUR OPINION!! *********************************

I totally disagree. I liked DJ, it wasnt the best ever, and it really served to strengthen Jainas character and made me see Kyp in a whole new light. I loved BP, it was somewhat atypical for SW, but I really liked the picture it presented of a character in torment, (Jacen) even if most of the book i did want to stangle him!!

I enjoyed DJ. Not wonderful, but not the worst of the NJO, in fact, very high on the NJO list.

10. Olstykke

Olstykke Jedi Youngling

Feb 15, 2002
    Yeah it's my opinion. The starwars chick authors suck(minus truce at Bakara)

In dark journey she left alot of action and plot out. Major events come out of nowhere.
    Then she doesn't elaborate how the Hell some thing happened! this happened all over the book.

11. Crow_T_Fett

Crow_T_Fett Jedi Master star 1

Feb 6, 2002
    Olstykke, I think there are better ways to express your opinion than simply saying "chick authors suck."

As far as she left alot of action and plot out. Major events come out of nowhere. Then she doesn't elaborate how the Hell some thing happened, while you don't give any examples, based on your previous post I'm guessing you're referring to Jacen "dieing."

The reason she didn't say more about this is that it's something that is going to be covered in a future novel, and wouldn't be appropriate to describe in DJ.

12. Olstykke

Olstykke Jedi Youngling

Feb 15, 2002
    Case in point. THey didn't describe how they got the prisoner to gallinore.

They didn't explain how or why Jaina got to the lab or back.

Lowbaca - the whole explanination for the yammosk device. THEY did not have to implant
    a device on the ship contianing the yammosk - it was a tranmitter that looked like the laser cannon from a x wing said so in star br star

the chicks suck is my opinion. None of the books writen by women did much to the story line except add another title to the list. The plots were dull. The only reason I read them was on the off chance that something important and relavent to the next books would come about - which has never been the case-

Let me pose this question what did we gain from dark journey

- Jaina now is apprenticed to Kyp
    - Possible (definite if you consider the force passage with Jag)love interst for Jaina

- None coherent technology advances on the Youzan vong tech. It isn't

- a pointless cliff hanger- is or isn't jacin dead. Frankly it 'd be more interesting to of spent the book on jacin's captivity in which he reamins a captive and then used by the shapers who dicover the jedi powers (Remember the 8th protocol of shaping?? )

I'm highly disappointed where Zahn these days?

13. Crow_T_Fett

Feb 6, 2002
    <<shakes his head and wonders why he's even bothering responding to this post, but...>>

THey didn't describe how they got the prisoner to gallinore.

They didn't? Hmm, I remember it being described in detail how they let him "escape" from his cell and get to his ship, before they ambushed him and knocked him out. After that point, I assume they put him on a ship and flew him to Gallinore. I actually figured that part out, even though not every single second of it was described.

This, I believe (tho I haven't read it) was covered as a short story, also by EC, in Gamer magazine.

a pointless cliff hanger- is or isn't jacin dead. Frankly it 'd be more interesting to of spent the book on jacin's captivity in which he reamins a captive

As I said, that will be covered in a future book - Traitor, I think - which will be set at the same time as DJ. And I fail to see how one of the major plot points in the entire series is a "pointless cliff-hanger."

None coherent technology advances on the Youzan vong tech. It isn't

Probably no less coherent than that sentence.

14. Scruff

Scruff Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 1999
    Many of us learned long ago, that arguing with a N.E.W.B.I.E. is a great waste of time. They tend to rant, often disregard the rules of the forums, and sometimes get themselves banned or at least warned by admins for their rash behavior.

Back to the topic, personally I thought DJ was the BEST NJO book yet. I could scarcely put it down. I had missed Tenal Ka's presence in the series. I'm not fond of the NJO to begin with, don't care for the Vong, and frankly had grown very tired of them constantly kicking the good guys' butts. It was refreshing to see Jaina come up with a way to strike back and confuse the enemy. Taking on the persona of their goddess was brilliant.

I wasn't fond of Barbara Hambley's contribution to Star Wars, but I would not critisize all female writers.

15. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    I thought DJ was a very good book in the NJO. It built up Jaina's chacter. And we saw her own her own for a change. I do wonder how Mara is going to take the news about Kyp and Jaina. I think it will be interesting to see. Elaine did very well in writing this book.

16. Crow_T_Fett

Feb 6, 2002
    Agreed on all points, Scruff and JEDI-SOLO.

With regards to the "chick writers," I didn't like Hambly, but Kathy Tyers is very good (altho there sometimes seems to be a lack of action in her books), A.C. Crispin wrote one of my all-time favorite series in "The Han Solo Trilogy," and I thought EC did a great job with DJ. I hope they ask her to write another SW novel after the NJO is complete.

17. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999

I'm not even bothering to comment

18. Jedi_Jaina_Durron

Jedi_Jaina_Durron Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2001
    I liked it. And I agree with RF about the reasons behind everything. I was a little (notice I say little) disappointed that Jaina wasn't immersed in the dark side, but other than that it was great. good character building.

19. tanjokabri

tanjokabri Jedi Master star 4

Nov 2, 2001
    "I believe that Dark Journey was stretched out and could have been written in half as many pages as Cunningham used. "

On the contrary, i felt dj was much too short, and felt too rushed in some places...

btw, not bad going for a redundant thread ;)

20. CADNO_FOX

CADNO_FOX Jedi Youngling

Jan 11, 2002
    Anyone know where i can get that story bout what happened in the lab???
    I think that it was quite good not to add it, it left it up to our imagination with a few hints that mabye Jaina went full Dark Side. Anyway just my thoughts

21. Nichos_Marr

Nichos_Marr Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 26, 2001

ALL of the books in A.C. Crispin's Han Solo trilogy have made my personal top ten list. She's a "chick" and an extremely good author.

22. cavalier_one

cavalier_one Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2001
    Generally, I liked DJ; good character development, a hint of the war turning as they study the Vong tech, possiblility of the Hapans soming back into the war. Didn't like Tenienel Djo (sp?) dying the way she did; I felt it should have been a warrior's death, but it fits in with the politics of the Hapans.

I am reserving a full opinion until I've read the other concurrent novels, to see how well it intregrates. Certain elements may be cleared up, giving DJ a further sense of "completion" to me.

Crow_T_Fett:

This, I believe (tho I haven't read it) was covered as a short story, also by EC, in Gamer magazine.

Whoa! Is this true?

If it is, I find this extremely annoying. If this is a part of the story, and covers something we should know about, then why publish it in Gamer? I can understand short stories that have no effect on the main saga being published in Gamer, but to have a major event published is terrible.

As I live in England, I cannot get Gamer directly (along with many countries, I believe). Therefore, myself and thousands of other SW fans might never be able to complete the story unless we manage to find a copy of Gamer over the net.

Oh well, rant over. I severely hope the above is not true, but a clarification would be extremely useful.

Off topic: how do get words into italics?

23. ParanoidAni-droid

ParanoidAni-droid Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2001
    Wow! You've been here quite a while for someone who doesn't know how to use Italics!

Well, as long as your not putting me on, you can have this information for free... otherwise, I take your soul. :)

put your text inbetween the two. (Hmm... doesn't seem to work)

EDIT: it appears I'm unable to show you what you must type without Italicizeing my own text!! [face_shocked]

Try to bear with me here, your going to have to use your imagination! ;)

~your text~

Except on thelast book ending bracket of you add a / before the "i"

Good luck, buddy!

24. Crow_T_Fett

Feb 6, 2002
    Can't say for sure that that story was in Gamer, but I know I read somewhere that it was. So if it isn't true, blame whoever put that info up, and not me. "Hey, it's not my fault!" :D

To put things in italics, put {i} at the beginning of what you want to italicize, and {/i} at the end, but replace {} with []. Same thing for bold and underline, but use "b" and "u" instead of "i".

25. Communista

Communista Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 9, 2001
    Dark Journey is a horribly flawed book and one of the worst Star Wars books ever. No offence to Ms. Cunnigham, because I haven't read any of her other work except "Red Sky, Blue Flame" which I quite enjoyed. The fault lies witht the NJO editors for letting such a waste of opportunity to occur.

Battle at Coruscant: Why was this here? it was covered quite competely by SBS. Danni on a Corvette? No, it was the Venture. Bad, bad plotting. There had to be another way to get the characters to Hapes. And if it wasn't the same battle, hen why the hell would Leia et co go back to coruscant and get their butts kicked?

Hapes: what a disaster. too much time spent on mindless plotting. I like the end result, but the getting htere was a farce.

Jaina: Wasted opporuntity. Nuf said. the one opportunity to display her evil side (with the prisoners on GAllinore) was skipped completely and will onyl show up in a short story. what a crock.

and what was with that attack by the light bugs? it served NO purpose!

General comments: unclear, bad strategy and planning from the writer, unclear plot.

inconsistencies. Han getting amnesia and then 'suddenly remembering" even though every reader knew what was happening anyway.

I don't mind the missing characters. Actually I think, Jag, Jaina and Kyp could have carried the book by themselves. But there was no understanding or discussion of the links and common theme of these characters. of rebels going too far, of consequences and darkness and redemption, of stepping up and accepting fate's responsibilties. None at all.

what a waste of money.

adious amigos

Anthony

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.