main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Non Star Wars Dark Knight Joker Hair and Makeup

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by inkpenavenger, Jul 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. inkpenavenger

inkpenavenger Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 26, 2005
    I've posted about this costume before, and I think I've got the clothes more or less figured out. Now I have some questions about hair and makeup. If you haven't seen Dark Knight yet, here's a good pic:

[image=http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd262/cinema_lover/joker.jpg]

I have dark (almost brown) blond hair, so what kind of dye/technique should I use to get the right color? Also, I don't want to be stuck with green hair for months, so that's something to consider. I need a dye that will color my hair for about two-to-three days that will still allow me to wash and style it.

Now, on to styling. As you can see, Joker's hair looks dirty and unkempt. It is not an acceptable option for me to not wash my hair for a month prior to wearing the costume, so I need to know how to replicate this look with tools and product.

Finally, makeup. I'm on kind of a shoestring budget for this costume, so I could use some reccomended brands and whatnot. Also, what kind of applicator should I use and for what aspects of the makeup? Should I use an applicator on or (as the film suggests Joker himself does with his white-smudged fingers) should I just smear it onto my face with my hands?

Thanks for any and all help. See you at GenCon!

2. Takianna

Takianna Jedi Master star 3

Apr 22, 2005
    There is a texturizing paste called "dirt" which should give you the unwashed look. I've never used it, but that's it's purpose to make your hair like you haven't washed it so that it styles better.

Also there are several brush on temporary hair color products you can search for. I don't know of any right off the top of my head, but I've seen them around Halloween. Surely there would be some on the internet for sale. Also, if you are really looking for that color and can't come up with anything, you can use crayola markers to color your hair. You have to color sections at a time, but it works. It doesn't last that long either. We used to do it in like sixth grade.

Hope everything works out for you. I'll look for you at GenCon.

Oh, the makeup....you could check out Theater House. My mom was a drama teacher and did clown faces as a project. She usually got her makeup there. I'm pretty sure it's a good price. You should check their website.

Makeup & Hair Stuff

3. JedHead1

JedHead1 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 20, 1999
    [image=http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e385/JedHead1/Why%20So%20Serious%207-18-08/DSCN8897-1.jpg]

This took only about 30 minutes total, using liquid latex for the scars. I just used my fingers to apply the make-up, and since my hair wasn't quite long enough, I went for the wig, but if it's longer by Halloween, I'll probably use a hair color that the person at a Halloween shop recommended - it's a flat wooden stick with a glob of green on the end of it, where you smear the color throughout your hair.

4. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    :eek: Holy... Matt, is that you?

5. Darth_Eagle

Darth_Eagle Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    Not sure if you have come across this before but here's how the prosthetics looked like before makeup is applied. ;)

http://screenrant.com/heath-ledger-dark-knight-joker-makeup-2844/

Someone posted it at Cosplay.Com Forum.

And if want proper prosthetics, can try this item:
    http://www.fxwarehouse.info/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=Joker

Can read more here:
    http://www.cosplay.com/showpost.php?p=2534356&postcount=7

6. inkpenavenger

Sep 26, 2005
    Oooh, I wish I had thirty bucks to blow on those prosthetic scars! Probably not for this year, but maybe I can get those someday in the future.

7. Darth_Eagle

Darth_Eagle Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    For now, just try doing it in Liquid Latex lah. ;)

Not perfect but if you take the time to carefully shape it layer by layer (maybe on a Thick Plastic Sheet for ease of removal to be worn after it's made), am sure it'll turned out good enough.

8. hyperspace_police

hyperspace_police Jedi Master star 4

Jun 22, 2005
    There's not really that much green in his hair in the movie? Is there?? It looked like just a few streaks in strategic places...

9. inkpenavenger

Sep 26, 2005
    Actually, I'm thinking about just forgoing the scars this year, and buying the fancy foam latex ones for next year.

10. inkpenavenger

Sep 26, 2005
    Alright, so I did a test run of the costume last night, and I think it's going to work out fine. I'll post a pic of the final version that I wear to GenCon, because I was rather skimpy with the makeup in my test so I'd be sure to have enough for two days in Indy. I used my son's green fingerpaint mixed with curl-enhancing hair gel to get my hair to look pretty close (the green was a bit dark, so I might look for some white to mix with it). My costume consists of a large coat that I spray-painted purple, a vest that I spray-painted green, a pale blue shirt (not silk and no pattern, but who cares, really?), old dark green polyester/rayon pants (didn't have enough paint to paint them purple, but it still fits with the color scheme) and compfy steel-toe workboots (not sure about Jokers actual footwear, but boots fit with the grungey look).

See you at GenCon!

(I finally completed a costume! Woo! [face_dancing] )

11. LORDWROTH

LORDWROTH Jedi Master star 2

Nov 5, 2004
    Darth_Eagle
    you can really do allot of scarring with simple tissue paper
    and latex build up. Lon Chaney did that in the older movies.
    You take the tissue paper lay it over the area you want and dabble
    latex over it. Repeat as many times as it takes to get the build up you
    need and if you sweat, than take some spirit gum along in case the edges lift.

there are other more expensive ways but I'll post those if you like later[face_peace]

12. theBluePhoenix

theBluePhoenix Jedi Master star 3

Jan 4, 2001
    I expect the Wolf Brothers to do it without any prosthetics. They're able to create impressive depth and detail without prosthetics.

13. LORDWROTH

LORDWROTH Jedi Master star 2

Nov 5, 2004
    Hey!
    I dont know if anyone has seen this yet, its a parody from the DARK KNIGHT
    but I thought the guy playing the Joker was good.[face_thinking]

http://www.break.com/index/whats-up-with-the-dark-knights-voice.html

14. MasterSaejis

MasterSaejis Jedi Youngling

Mar 4, 2007
    hopefully this isnt too late, if it is, sorry, hopefully its good for others that want the costume!

the easiest way to do the scars is with liquid latex, and TP! toilet paper is the best way to go on a budget. apply a little liquid latex,
    then rip off a little TP strip and ridge it up and place it onto the liquid latex. then add more liquid latex over the top.
    then just cover with make up once dry.
    this method is used in Zombie films.

remember to lick your lips alot, really sells the look!

i'm either going to do this costume or hellboy for this years halloween.
    wish i could come to the Con, but i'm poor and live in Australia!

15. inkpenavenger

Sep 26, 2005
    HEY! Sorry I forgot about this thread. I just wanted to show everyone a pic of the finished product.

I ended up just using normal clown makeup for the face, and (drumroll)

green crayola washable fingerpaint for the hair.

JOKER PIC

16. JedHead1

JedHead1 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 20, 1999
    I think in the "making of" TDK book says that they sprayed water on heath's face after the make-up was applied to get that messy look (as in the first post).

[image=http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e385/JedHead1/Why%20So%20Serious%207-18-08/DSCN0042.jpg]

:D

17. irongategallery

irongategallery Jedi Youngling

Jan 7, 2009
    I have a few items that may help you out for sale in my shop. I created the costume for last years for dragoncon, but I make a few extra on the side to sell.

http://www.theirongategallery.com/search.asp?keyword=joker

and here is the latex scar effect I use: http://www.theirongategallery.com/Joker-Smile-Latex-Prosthetic-Scars-40Set-of-341_p_10.html

hope that helps!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.