main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Story [Dark Matter] Season 2 AU (a story in drabbles) - Complete

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by Tarsier, Sep 20, 2016.

1. Tarsier

Tarsier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 31, 2005
    Fandom: Dark Matter (SyFy tv series)

Summary: Season 2 AU - One survives. He and Five travel together, eventually meeting up with the Raza again.

Characters: Primarily One and Five. Many others will make an appearance.

Notes: Some Dark Matter drabbles inspired by Season 1 can be found here. This thread assumes knowledge of Season 1 and the first few episodes of Season 2.

Word Count: 7,000+ (70 100-word drabbles, plus titles). Bonus content: 1,164 words.

Character Photos:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Index [supporting characters in brackets]
    Drabbles 1-8 (below) [Felicia Brand (CoreLactic Industries lawyer), Six]
    Drabbles 9-17 [Commander Truffault]
    Drabbles 18-24 [none]
    Drabbles 25-29 [Felicia Brand, Darius der Hoeven (CoreLactic Industries acting CEO), Jace Corso]
    Drabbles 30-36 [Ma Moss]
    Drabbles 37-43 [Ma, Mozart (OC)]
    Drabbles 44-50 [Ma, Tabor Calchek]
    Drabbles 51-56 [Nyx Harper, Devon Taltherd, Two, Three]
    Drabbles 57-62 [Two, Three, Four]
    Drabbles 63-70 [Two, Three, Four]
    Bonus: Charlotte's Web [Two, Three, Six]

1. Accommodations

“I really am sorry about the accommodations, Derrick. I’ll get you out of here ASAP.”

“It’s really okay.”

“At least the fridge should be stocked. I even made sure they packed a bottle of wine.” The lawyer—for the life of him, One couldn’t remember her name—winked. “The good stuff. Shall I pour us a couple glasses?”

“I was actually going to try to get some rest.”

“Of course. It’s been a trying few days for you, I’m sure.”

“I’m just worried about the others. Especially Five, she—”

The lawyer rose abruptly. “I’ll let you get your rest.”

- * -​
    2. Truant

“You’re my lawyer. I’m sure you’re getting paid a lot of money to do what I say. And I’m saying I want you to get Five out of there.”

“Associating with criminals—”

“She’s a child, she is not a criminal! She does not belong in prison!”

“She is charged with truancy—”

“Truancy?! She was a homeless orphan! You think she was worried about school? You think a school would have let her in?”

“—and several more serious charges. You do not want to be involved with that sort of element. It draws all kinds of undesirable attention.”

3. Ward

“I don’t care what sort of attention it brings. Do it quickly, quietly, maybe no one will notice.”

The lawyer sighed. “As it is, she’ll probably end up in a group home. Might be the best thing that’s ever happened to her.”

“No. Not a group home. Just get her out.”

“Into whose custody? A child without a family is a ward of the state.”

“She can stay here.”

“You want to adopt the little delinquent? Are you crazy? Do you have any idea what that would do to your career?”

“Do I look concerned about my career right now?”

- * -​
    4. Freedom

Five was lying on her back, staring at the ceiling, when the door opened. She sat up to see Six in the doorway. He smiled as he entered, revealing the lawyer lady standing behind him.

“Good news,” Six held up his tablet. “You’re being released.”

“Really?” Five jumped to her feet. “How?”

“Your new dad bailed you out,” the lawyer said with a sneer.

Five stopped abruptly. “My… what…?” Five was an orphan, of that she was certain. She wasn’t sure she wanted anything to do with anyone suddenly claiming to be her father.

Six nodded encouragingly. “It’ll be okay.”

5. Bolt

Five had thought about bolting as soon as they were clear of the prison. The lawyer was not restraining her, she didn’t even seem to want to touch her. She may even have wanted her to run.

Five had no idea know where they were going, the lawyer wouldn’t say anything, other than she would soon be her father’s problem. Five didn’t want some stranger claiming to be her family and telling her what to do. But she decided to bide her time, to at least see what this strange benefactor had to offer before making a break for it.

6. Good Riddance

They entered a nice hotel and rode an elevator to the penthouse. As the doors opened, Five saw fancy furniture and a breath-taking view. This, she could get used to. She looked around for her so-called father and saw a man standing with his back to her, talking into a com.

“Uh, sure. That sounds fine. Whatever you think. I gotta go.”

Voices continued to come out of the com, even as the man turned toward her.

“Congratulations on your new delinquent,” the lawyer shoved Five forward. The elevator doors closed. That was the last Five saw of the lawyer.

7. Reunion

“One!” Five shrieked as she ran towards him. “I knew you’d come through!”

That was a lie. She hadn’t really expected him to do anything for her. Too busy worrying about the crew in prison, she’d almost forgotten about the crewman who had gotten an easy reprieve.

“Of course. I wasn’t just going to leave you there. Sorry about the adoption, I know that’s weird. But it was the only way. I’m sure you can get emancipated once the dust settles…”

“Who cares? It’s just meaningless paperwork, right? What matters is how we are going to get the others free.”

8. Do Something

“Well…” One had given it a lot of thought, but he really didn’t have an answer. He might have money and a bit of political sway at the moment, but nothing that would compare to the Galactic Alliance or the Corporations. He’d known that would be Five’s first question and he hated to disappoint her so quickly, but he didn’t know what else to say.

“I think that may be up to them. I just don’t think there’s anything we can do for them right now.”

“No.” Five furrowed her brow. “No. They’re our friends. We have to do something.”

Darth Matthew Twihard likes this.
  2. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    AHAHA! Considering our recent Dark Matter conversation--nice. ;)

These are great! You've really captured the spirit of the characters. I particularly like the ones that are straight up dialogue, you've got some lovely rhythm and flow there, and dialogue-only makes for some interesting drabbles.

Looking forward to more! :)

Tarsier likes this.
  3. Tarsier

Jul 31, 2005
    I've got other stories I feel like I really should be working on, but I just couldn't let this go... :p
    Thank you! I'm really glad you think the characterization is okay, I'm always a bit uncertain stepping into a new fandom.
    Coming right up!

9. Guardian

“I’m sure they already have a plan. This is really more in their wheelhouse than ours.”

Five’s eyes flashed at One. Speak for yourself. She didn’t have to say it out loud.

It was true, Five’s gift for tech probably would be an asset during an escape. But the others were just going to have to figure it out for themselves. He wasn’t going to let Five risk her safety to return to prison when she didn’t even know if she would be helpful. They may have had equal vote on the Raza, but here he was her legal guardian.

- * -​
    10. Confined

I’m part of the crew. I should be there.

At first Five had been happy to be relieved of the tedium of the guest quarters on Hyperion-8, but now she was growing restless. She couldn’t just sit here in One’s fancy hotel while the rest of the crew was in prison. The hotel room had become its own prison. Especially since One was currently obsessed with reconstructing his old life.

Six should have let her stay with the others. Prison was bad, but being kicked to the curb was worse.

At least her current prison would be easy to escape.

- * -​
    11. Together

“You’re not leaving.” One blocked the elevator doorway.

He was bigger than her, but she was pretty sure she could take him. She’d been training with Four; One was no fighter.

“I know you want to help them. I do too. I just don’t know how. And you running off and getting yourself arrested, or killed, isn’t going to help anyone.”

“I’m done sitting here doing nothing! Maybe you can just forget about your friends, but I can’t.”

“We’ll do something. But we’re going to do it together. And we’re going to think about it first. What do they need?”

- * -​
    12. Bad Idea

One’s palms were sweaty as he looked around the metallic meeting room. Five sat beside him. Maybe she shouldn’t be here, but he knew he couldn’t keep her away, so he hadn’t even tried.

This was a bad idea. He didn’t see any way for it to end well. Just better than Five running off by herself and trying to break into a maximum security prison, just so she could try to break out again.

“Derrick Moss. CEO of CoreLactic Industries. To what do I owe this pleasure?”

One took a deep breath. He hadn’t expected Truffault herself to show.

13. Talk Your Way Out

“I think you need to help my friends escape from prison.”

“Is that so? After they’ve each already rejected my very generous offer of immunity?”

“They’re a team, they won’t turn on each other. But it’s in your best interest for them to be out. There’s never going to be a trial, so they won’t be able to point the finger at Traugott for you. However, if they’re free, there’s at least a chance for them to tell their side of the story.”

Commander Truffault regarded him silently. One glanced to Five and she smiled and nodded encouragingly. One continued.

14. Last Chance

“They’re the best at what they do. It’s an asset, having them around to do your dirty work. Why else would you offer them immunity? You help them out, and they’ll owe you.”

“Mikkei has vast resources. We do not need the assistance of miscreants. My offer was made purely for the sake of seeing justice done against at least some of those responsible for Iriden.”

“Right…” One slid the datachip of information Five had collected across the table. “Then maybe you should make your offer to them one more time. Face-to-face, so they really have to think about it.”

- * -​
    15. Beauty

One laid two photos out on the table. Five fiddled with a gadget across from him.

“What do you think?” One finally asked.

“What do you mean?”

One slid a photo towards her. “About this guy. Is he, you know… just… how does he look, aesthetically…?”

“Are you asking your daughter if she finds you attractive?”

One cringed and swiped the photo back. “Never mind, I shouldn’t have asked.”

“I was just teasing.”

One nodded glumly.

Alarmed, Five asked, “You aren’t seriously considering plastic surgery, are you?”

One shrugged. “This is who I am. Maybe I should look like him.”

16. Beast

“I like the way you look now.”

One gestured to the other photo. “Like this lowlife?”

“No.” Five picked up the photo of Jace Corso. “You don’t look that much like him.”

“I look exactly like him. I went to great lengths to look exactly like him. I fooled a lot of people into thinking I was him. Even he acknowledged it.”

“I could tell you apart. It’s the eyes. I don’t mean the color or anything. Just the look. The… the essence or something. You can’t change that.”

“You really think so?”

Five nodded. “Plus, you don’t wear eyeliner.”

- * -​
    17. Stasis

It did seem practical, to make it so his mere existence was not a constant annoyance a vicious mercenary. Yet a second round of elective facial surgery wasn’t very appealing. And, well, it was a little strange, to change your features to look… less attractive. Especially since Derrick Moss’s features meant nothing to him. He had no memory of seeing that face in the mirror. He just couldn’t make sense of changing his face to look like a homely guy he didn’t even know.

So what? Was he just supposed to tell a plastic surgeon to go wild? No way.

Author Note: I added some character photos to the first post, so you can compare One to Derrick Moss and Jace Corso.

Idrelle_Miocovani likes this.
  4. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    I love the focus on Five in this. Of course, I'm totally biased as Five is my favourite character (she's just so sweet and adorable and could totally take on everyone in the crew if she had to).

It was true, Five’s gift for tech probably would be an asset during an escape.

Yup, they're pretty much useless without Five. :p

He was bigger than her, but she was pretty sure she could take him. She’d been training with Four; One was no fighter.

OMG, she's adorable. I believe her though, I'm pretty sure she can take out One.

“I could tell you apart. It’s the eyes. I don’t mean the color or anything. Just the look. The… the essence or something. You can’t change that.”

“You really think so?”

Five nodded. “Plus, you don’t wear eyeliner.”

I really like that she could tell One and Jace Corso apart. It's a lovely addition, showing just how perceptive she is. And, of course, that tag about the eyeliner is hilarious! [face_laugh]

Lovely job with this. Looking forward to seeing where One goes in his debate about whether to reshape his face again or not.

5. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    I need to catch up on watching this show to really understand these, but, as always, your writing is fantastic to read just for your writing's sake. Even through these drabbles alone, I adore Five, and I love your character voices. Your dialogue really does have a fantastic flow - I have to echo Idri there.

And this line really jumped out at me, as well:

What a perceptive, beautiful line! [face_love]

6. Tarsier

Jul 31, 2005
    I love Five too. One of my (many) issues with Season 2 was the writers insistence on making her more and more ruthless. They finally put a hard stop to it, but I thought that needed to happen a long time before it did. I'm going to try to keep her more in line with her Season 1 attitude here.

I completely agree, although I didn't feel like her role in their escape was necessarily vital. (Having the full prison layout was though. That's supposed to be the information on the datachip One gave to Truffault - so One and Five did help with the escape, even though they weren't there. And now I'm over-explaining things...)

I give them about even odds. If she moved in fast and took him down right away, she would win. But if she didn't catch him off-guard, he might be able to out-muscle her, I think he is pretty strong... :p

For some reason Jace Corso's eyeliner amuses me a lot more than it should. (And that scene is probably my favorite so far, so I'm extra glad you like it!)

Well, the debate's pretty much over - the title "Stasis" was my probably too-subtle hint that he's not going to change anything. But he may find a few more reasons for not wanting to look like Derrick Moss. (And this didn't make it into the drabbles because I didn't feel like it added much to the story, but I imagined he decided he would go for something a little less invasive to alter his appearance a bit - like dyeing his hair. But black wasn't really his color, a different shade of brown would be too subtle, blond probably wouldn't help people take him seriously, and red is Three's favorite color. So he decides to just let Five pick a color and do it. Halfway through the process he realizes he'd made the assumption she would pick a natural color (silly man!) but in fact his hair is probably going to be turquoise. Turns out it's not turquoise - it's a nice dark purple. So feel free to picture One with purple hair, even though that didn't actually make it to the page. Or not. :p)

Thank you so much for your comments! It's so nice to find someone else familiar with the fandom. :)

Mira_Jade Thanks so much for reading! I hope I haven't spoiled you too much. I apologize that these probably don't make much sense, usually I try to make my stories accessible to readers unfamiliar with the source material, but I'm afraid I'm just not up to that task with drabbles. And I'm glad you like Five! (Though she's pretty hard not to like :))

Darth Matthew Twihard likes this.
  7. Tarsier

Jul 31, 2005
    18. New Pods

“I thought you were on vacation today.”

“I was. Spent all day on the beach with Andre. Transfer Transit is a godsend. I’ll never ride a transport again!”

“I didn’t think Andre knew about the… ‘work’ you’ve had done.”

“He doesn’t. And he won’t. The newest pods have an optional upgrade to scan your face. So your hair and makeup don’t have to be redone when you get there. It made sure my new nose was waiting right along with the rest of me.”

Normally the conversations in the hotel bar weren’t worth eavesdropping, but this one caught Five’s ear.

- * -​
    19. Before

“Do you think it’s possible,” One looked up from the table towards Five, “That before, you know, before stasis, I was… a moron?”

Five laughed. “Who says you aren’t one now?”

One forced a smile. He didn’t mind the insult, but it had been a serious question. When he looked at some of the stuff he’d done, it just seemed… stupid. His financial records were an incomprehensible mess, his business memos unintelligible. Maybe that wasn’t his fault, maybe someone in the company had mucked things up in his absence. But there was one decision he knew had been his own.

20. Evidence

He’d turned his life upside-down, thrown everything he had away, in favor of revenge. Fine, people did dramatic, even crazy, stuff in love and grief and anger. But wouldn’t a reasonably intelligent person at least have directed that crazy in the right direction? The evidence against Three, or rather Marcus Boone, was razor thin. And yet One, or rather Derrick Moss, had undergone painful, expensive surgery to make himself look like a lowlife mercenary just to get a shot at Marcus Boone? Even if he succeeded, what was his plan after that? Did he intend it as a suicide mission?

- * -​
    21. Decoded

Darius had been extremely reluctant to give One any files from before his departure, but eventually he had brought him his old computer. Buried in amongst thousands of digital files had been some encrypted data. One set Five to work decoding it. The results were unsettling.

An unofficial study determined that the substance, after six months of low-level exposure, causes skin lesions, decreased lung-capacity, breathing difficulty, and can trigger asthma in small children. It was determined that the side effects, not nearly as serious as those associated with the Alpha Centauri accident, do not outweigh the costs of halting production.

22. Charity

There were lots of “unofficial studies” and “unreported test results” within the encrypted data.

One had always known the three major corporations were corrupt, but he’d just assumed his own company was not. In fact, the first article he’d found when researching himself had described the trillions of bars he’d donated to charity. Maybe they weren’t good-natured donations so much as guilt-induced reparations. Or just a cover-up.

Derrick Moss may not have been a wanted criminal, but that didn’t mean he was innocent.

One turned off the computer. Holding his head in his hands, he tried to catch his breath.

- * -​
    23. Recognized

Five had spent the day exploring the city and doing a little shopping. As she returned, she saw One in the hotel lobby. She smiled to see him outside the hotel room for once. As she approached, she noticed he was wearing a new shirt, that was strange because he’d specifically said he didn’t want to go shopping with her. She would definitely have to give him a hard time about that. Then she noticed his hair was different, and she figured she would have to comment on that too. Then it hit her. She stopped dead in her tracks.

24. Hunted

Five proceeded directly to the elevator, moving as quickly as possible without drawing attention to herself. She pounded the button for the penthouse and hissed when three other people entered the elevator. After the slowest elevator ride of her life, Five burst into the penthouse. One was at his desk, though his computer was dark.

“We have a problem,” she blurted. “We have to go.”

Startled, One turned toward her. “What? You just got back. What’s going on?”

“I saw him, in the lobby. He’s here for you, I know it. We have to go now.”

“Who’s here?”

“Jace Corso.”

8. Tarsier

Jul 31, 2005
    25. Swift

“He’s going to be a problem. I think we need to eliminate him now.”

Darius der Hoeven studied Felicia Brand. “Think of his father.”

“Derrick and I were very close, especially after Catherine’s death. That man does not look much like Derrick, but he acts even less like him. Those felons from the Raza should have another murder added to their rap sheet. Derrick Moss is dead.

“And that man we got out of prison—he’s now made a street urchin the heir of CoreLactic Industries. If we cut our losses now, it won’t be that bad. If we wait…”

26. Decisive

“But if we eliminate him—you just said the girl would be his successor.”

“If we act quickly, I can burn the paper trail. The adoption documents probably won’t hold up anyway, his signature looks nothing like Derrick Moss’s.”

Darius nodded slowly. It was a difficult decision, but the well-being of the company must always be paramount. Threats must be dispatched swiftly and decisively. “You know someone?”

“I’ve got a few connections. And I think I know someone who will do it for almost nothing.”

“Take care of it. My shuttle leaves in the morning.”

“See you at the wake.”

- * -​

27. The Job

“There may be a child, a teenager, in the apartment. If she is, you’ll need to take care of her as well. I trust that won’t be a problem?”

“Why, is she radioactive?” Corso growled. What kind of soft-heart did this idiot think he was? He wouldn’t usually even bother with such a measly job, but he had a personal interest in seeing the target erased. And, of course, he’d be getting a nice chunk of change for a few minutes of his time.

The lawyer chick continued to prattle on. Corso wasn’t even listening as he counted his money.

- * -​
    28. Indignant

Jace Corso entered the front door of the hotel and strode straight to the elevator. His pistol was barely concealed beneath his jacket, yet no one gave him a second glance. The man behind the check-in counter actually nodded at him. Given the non-existent security, he shouldn’t even have wasted time casing the place the night before. He hit the button for the penthouse and the elevator began to rise—it didn’t even require a passcode.

This was absurd. Typically, he got paid more for more difficult jobs, but he should have demanded extra for the sheer indignity of this.

29. Indifferent

Four shots to the chest. It was excessive, but seeing the man with his stolen face had pissed him off. The girl screamed and Corso put a bullet in her throat. That shut her up.

The imposter was dead on the ground, but Corso put two more rounds in his head—one in his forehead, one shattering his nose. He was supposed to make sure the body could be easily identified, but he couldn’t stand to see his own features lying there on the floor.

The man, if he could call him that, hadn’t even put up a fight. Pathetic.

9. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    Ahh, I missed an update! My apologies.

Out of the first set, I really liked "Before" and "Recognized". One and Five's relationship is so lovely. She's like the kid sister who is smarter and more perceptive than people expect.

[face_laugh]

Corso's just having none of it today.

Woah! So One and Five got out in time, but then who did Corso actually shoot? Did they manipulate the Transfer Transits somehow?

Great update!

Tarsier likes this.
  10. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Oh, I don't mind being spoiled, and I am particularly enjoying your writing for writing sake. So I'm happy to be here and reading. :)

So, not to echo Idri again, or anything, :p, but I too enjoyed Before and Recognized - their relationship is an awesome one, and it's making me look forward to watching the show! I liked it when understanding clicked in the latter one - a very, very nice piece of writing!

And Corso . . . wow, that's a disturbingly efficient hit-man. I was smiling, in a dark way, at the "radioactive" line and his annoyance over the ignominy of the job he took. So, excellent writing, once again! =D=

Tarsier likes this.
  11. Tarsier

Jul 31, 2005
    Yes, exactly! :D Probably my biggest quibble with Season 1 was the fact that One and Five don't have much relationship, seems like they barely even interact.

I have a feeling Corso's a bit of a grump most of the time. :p

Transfer Transit – I like to think I can get on-board with crazy sci-fi technology as well as the next person, but Transfer Transit really stretches the limits of my suspension of disbelief. Aside from the 3-D printing of a human body in minutes and the routine uploading and downloading of human consciousness, the fact that they use your DNA to make the clone just doesn’t make sense to me. Environmental factors have such an impact on things like weight, muscle-tone, potentially even height. And there’s absolutely no way your DNA could indicate things like scars and injuries, much less hair length and style. It would make so much more sense for the scanners to just pick up your exterior dimensions. But of course that wouldn’t have helped tease out One’s identity…

Anyway, my explanation is that they are currently in a little more upscale area than they were the last time they used Transfer Transit and there is a new upgrade that allows for an exterior scan of the face to make sure details like hair and make-up are just right on the clone. Conveniently, this will also correct for things like scars, sun-damage…or extensive reconstructive surgery. (That’s what I was going for with New Pods, anyway.)

Thanks so much for reading and commenting!! :)

Unfortunately, One and Five don’t actually have too much of a relationship on the show. They both seem to spend their time focused on other characters. But it seems like they should get along, they have a lot in common, so it’s been fun fleshing that out here. :)
    He is supposed to be one of the best in the galaxy… (And it’s a pretty rough galaxy!)

Thank you very much for reading, and for commenting!! :)

12. Tarsier

Jul 31, 2005
    30. Awakening

One awoke and immediately reached up, shoving open the lid of the pod.

“What happened?”

The representative gave her readouts a puzzled look. “That can’t be right… There must have been a problem with your clone—it did not return for recycling.”

The lid of the pod beside One opened and Five sat up. “Did it work?”

“I’m sorry for the malfunction. If you’d like to try again, there will be no charge for a second transfer. But you will have to wait half an hour.”

“That won’t be necessary.” One nodded to Five and they hurried out the exit.

- * -​
    31. New Beginning

Standing in the center of the vast shipyard, One turned to Five. “What do you think?”

Five regarded the silvery-blue ship before them. It was small, not much bigger than the Marauder, but capable of FTL. “Seems pretty nice. But aren’t you worried about using your credchip when you’re supposed to be dead?”

One shook his head. “They’ll just assume the killer used it. If I’d bought a ship while I was still alive, that would have raised suspicion.”

Five ran her hand across the hull. “Then let’s hurry up and go.”

One waved to the salesdroid. “We’ll take it.”

- * -​
    32. FTL

The tiny ship trembled and One bit his lip. He really hoped Five knew what she was doing. He’d wanted to read the Owner’s Manual before trying to operate the ship, but he’d really, really wanted to get away from the planet of his alleged death as quickly as possible.

The ship quieted and the view resolved into the mottled darkness of FTL. One carefully relaxed his grip on the armrests and turned toward Five. “Are we good?”

“Should be. I just programmed a small jump to get us out of the area. We need to pick a final destination.”

- * -​
    33. Destination

“I have an idea.”

One looked up from the manual he was reading.

“We should go home.”

Home? What did that even mean to two people who didn’t officially even exist? If she meant the Raza, that just wasn’t going to happen right now.

His confusion must have shown on his face because she continued, “Your home. The farmhouse. I know you don’t remember it, but it was a really nice place. Maybe your mom is still there.”

One knew his parents had divorced shortly after his father started CoreLactic Industries. He hadn’t had a chance to research beyond that.

- * -​
    34. Homeworld

One knew it wasn’t normal to have to research the network to learn about your own past, but he’d gotten used to it. While stuck in the hotel, he’d downloaded all the information about Derrick Moss he could find and saved it to a datastick. He searched the datastick with the ship’s computer for his homeworld.

He’d grown up on a small farm, raising horses, goats, and various crops. His father invented a new system for processing soy that increased yields by fifteen-percent. He founded CoreLactic and moved to a coreworld.

One’s mother stayed home, continuing to work the farm.

- * -​
    35. Crisis of Faith

“I lost my memories and changed my face. She’s not going to recognize me; she probably won’t even want to see me.”

“A mother knows her child. She’ll see it in your eyes. Besides, she’ll know the story from the news. They get GNN out here, right? It’s everywhere.”

“Even if she recognizes me, what if she doesn’t want to see me? I probably took my dad’s side in the divorce.”

“She’ll want to see you.”

Five tugged on One’s hand, but his feet remained rooted. Five decided she would have to shift tactics. “What’s the worst that could happen?”

- * -​
    36. Welcome Home, Titch

One had hung back, so whoever opened the door would see Five first. But Ma didn’t even hesitate, she strode right up to One and wrapped him a tight embrace. After several seconds, Ma stepped back. “Welcome home, Titch.”

“Told you!” Five grinned. One said nothing.

“And you,” Ma turned toward Five, “Must be my first grandchild.”

“Umm…” Five wasn’t sure how to respond.

“How do you know it’s me?” One finally asked.

“I just know. I’ll always be your mother, Titch. It’s my business to know what happens to you.

“Now come inside, we have lots to talk about.”

13. Tarsier

Jul 31, 2005
    37. Elderberry Pie

The stew Ma had prepared was easily the best thing Five had ever eaten. She tried to go slow, to savor it, but it was hard.

“Your timing couldn’t be better.” Ma looked lovingly at One as he stared into his bowl. “I just baked a fresh elderberry pie.”

Probably feeling Ma’s eyes on him, One looked up. “Oh.” He glanced toward Five. “Okay.”

Not wanting Ma to be disappointed by One’s lack of memory, Five added, “It’s still your favorite, right Titch?”

One blinked, as he always seemed to do when he was called Titch. “Of course. My favorite.”

- * -​
    38. Home Sweet Home

“Your room is just as you left it,” Ma had assured One before going to bed.

He paused at the top of the stairs, looking down the hallway at four doors. Five came up the stairs behind him, grabbing his hand as she passed him.

She stopped in front of the second door on the right. “This is your room. I’ll take the guest room across the hall.”

I’m a stranger here, and she’s perfectly at home. One shook his head as he looked around the room full of unfamiliar belongings.

The universe certainly had a strange sense of humor.

- * -​
    39. Ma

After a few days, things had started to feel more comfortable. One couldn’t say he remembered Ma, but she was very nice, exactly the kind of mother anyone would want. She prepared fantastic meals three times a day while One and Five completed odd jobs around the farm.

Ma had immediately taken to Five, or Emily, as she called her. “I always wanted a granddaughter,” Ma would tell her. “But Titch,” she looked meaningfully at One, “Was too busy with his career to give me one.”

Five would grin and reply, “I never knew how much I wanted a grandmother.”

- * -​
    40. Shopping

One nodded a greeting to the shopkeeper, and proceeded to collect a few items. Last night a goat had given birth and Five chose to stay with the new mom and baby instead of joining One on his trip into town.

One’s eyes drifted to the screen behind the counter, the one that was always tuned to GNN, as the shopkeeper rang up his items. The screen flashed an image of Hyperion-8. One froze, his hand halfway to his pocket. He held his breath and crossed his fingers.

The screen displayed several mugshots. Among them were Two, Three, and Four.

41. News

Later, One would vaguely recall asking the shopkeeper to turn up the sound. But he didn’t stay long enough to hear more than a few words. Not waiting for the shopkeeper to make change, he dropped a handful of bars on the counter, gathered his items, and sprinted for home.

“Em!” he cried, dropping the shopping bags on the front porch. “Em, where are you?”

Five, baby goat still in her arms, and bleating mama goat chasing behind her, ran up to One. “What’s wrong?”

“They did it,” he panted. “They actually escaped. The crew of the Raza is free.”

- * -​
    42. Return

Mozart—that was what she named the baby goat, because he liked it when she played old classics on the ancient radio she had pieced together—stood on Five’s back as she lie prone in the pasture, fiddling with the wires of a sensor that was on the fritz.

“So…” she looked up at One, who was stacking hay in the nearby shed. “When are we going back?”

“Back?” One wiped sweat from his forehead. “You mean to the Raza? We don’t even know where they are.”

“But we are going back, right? Once we figure out where they are?”

43. Farm Life

The truth was, farm life wasn’t doing much for One. He was happy to be able to help Ma, but she’d been getting by on her own for a long time and didn’t really need their help. She was perfectly capable of taking care of the daily chores herself. She usually called in help from town during the harvest, and she’d made clear that she would continue to do so. She claimed it was because her seasonal helpers counted on the income she provided them, but One wondered if she wasn’t skeptical of his ability to get the job done.

Author Note: The baby goat character Mozart was inspired by a pet goat who belonged to a friend of mine. Sadly, the real baby goat Mozart was born with a lot of health problems and only lived to be about 9 months old. He was a real sweetheart and seemed to enjoy his short life. Below is a picture of him when he was a few days old.
    [​IMG]

14. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    I love the sense of urgency in the first set. And One's mother immediately knowing who he is, despite the drastic changes to his appearance. Some things never change.

“And you,” Ma turned toward Five, “Must be my first grandchild.”

“Umm…” Five wasn’t sure how to respond.

It's okay, Five, I wouldn't know how to respond either. :p

I do love how Five is just immediately accepted by Ma, and Five realizes that she wanted a grandmother, a sense of family. [face_love]

The scenes with Ma are a lovely interlude between action-packed sequences (and a well-deserved break from turmoil and strife for One and Five!). Can't wait to see what happens when they get back to the Raza.

And oh... Mozart is a cutie. So sorry to hear that he passed away. :(

Tarsier likes this.
  15. Tarsier

Jul 31, 2005
    Idrelle_Miocovani Thanks, once again, for all your comments! I really appreciate you taking the time to leave thoughtful remarks. :D

44. Letters and Numbers

“Titch! Em!” Ma called out from the farmhouse door.

When they had first arrived, One had been afraid Ma would find it strange that Five possessed a number designation instead of a typical name, so she had agreed to go by Emily while they were staying on the farm. Ironically, instead of a number, now Five was typically identified by a single letter.

“Come in! You have a delivery.”

One and Five paused in their painting of the barn and exchanged a puzzled glance. Shrugging, they put away the paintbrushes and headed towards the house. Mozart pranced at their heels.

45. Delivery

The courier handed One a rectangular package.

“Thanks,” One said, but the courier did not turn to leave. “Do I need to sign something?”

The courier shook his head. After a beat, he added. “I am to see that you open the package immediately.”

“Oh. Okay.” One used a pocketknife to remove the outer covering, revealing a tablet. The screen immediately flashed on, and a loud voice caused One to jump, the tablet slipping from his fingers.

“WHY THE HELL ARE YOUR SAPHEAD FRIENDS NOT ANSWERING MY CALL?!”

Equally startled, Five barely caught the tablet before it hit the ground.

46. Old Friend

Cautiously, Five set the tablet on the kitchen table. Getting her first good look at the screen, she was somewhat surprised to recognize the face, which continued to blabber as she turned toward One.

“Great job, butterfingers. I’m surrounded by bloody morons. On all sides. Do you know what it cost me to get this to you? You know I would have to cut out your eyes if you had broken it, don’t you?”

One stared wide-eyed at Five, before gathering himself and peering into the screen. “What do you want, Calchek?

“And more importantly, how did you find us?”

47. Ignored

Calchek waved dismissively. “Rich kids always run home.

“Now, why is the Raza not responding to me? Do they think that they don’t need me? They’ve taken jobs without my guidance before and how did that work out? Oh, that’s right, they wound up in PRISON.”

“Maybe they’re out of range,” One suggested.

“Oh, I WISH they were out of range. Guess again, chucko. I have some rather VITAL information for them. If they want to, you know, stay out of PRISON, or maybe not be SLAUGHTERED like mangy dogs. But if not, then by all means, just ignore me.”

48. Brains

“Somehow or another, one of the geniuses activated a BEACON, that is transmitting their location, oh, I don’t know, EVERYWHERE. There’s not a single brain on that entire ship, is there? I assumed you two were dead weight, but I guess you guys were stopping the others from wandering out the airlock.

“If you want your friends to continue their brainless existence, I suggest you get them to TURN OFF the beacon and get REALLY FAR AWAY from where they announced their presence to the ENTIRE GALAXY.”

“If everyone knows where they are, then why haven’t they been caught yet?”

49. The Countdown Begins

“That’s a great question, one I really want to spend time explaining to you. Or maybe you should just DO WHAT I FRICKIN’ TELL YOU and GET YOUR SORRY BACKSIDES MOVING.”

“I think we’re done playing your games.” One moved to shut off the tablet.

“OKAY, OKAY! It’s a beacon. It broadcasts a location, not name. You have to recognize the beacon to know who has it. Which, I, obviously, do. With any luck it will take the GA a couple days investigate.

“Cripes, I can’t believe you’re the smart one.

“Bottom line, your idiot friends have, maybe, 48 hours.”

50. Farewell

“I’ll miss you,” Ma said, moments after Calchek’s image flicked off the screen.

One looked up, surprised to see her leaning against the kitchen doorway.

“You may think you’ve changed, Titch, but you haven’t. This farm was never going to be enough for you. I’m glad that you came back, but I knew you wouldn’t stay for long. You couldn’t.”

One looked down at Five. He could clearly see her eagerness to return to the Raza.

“Thank you,” he said to Ma, “For everything.”

“Don’t be strangers now. You ever get in trouble, I’ll be right here, waiting for you.”

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
  16. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    I loved the scenes with One and Five folding themselves into a family! Ma was fantastic, and I loved the bits with Mozart, even if the baby goat's RL inspiration broke my heart. There's nothing harder than that. :(

Ironically, instead of a number, now Five was typically identified by a single letter.

Life can be a funny ol' thing that way. :p

“Somehow or another, one of the geniuses activated a BEACON, that is transmitting their location, oh, I don’t know, EVERYWHERE. There’s not a single brain on that entire ship, is there? I assumed you two were dead weight, but I guess you guys were stopping the others from wandering out the airlock

[face_laugh].Oh, my goodness, but Calchek is quite the character! I heartily enjoyed that entire conversation, even with its dire connotations. You have a knack for those mostly-dialogue segments, and it was great to read.

I'm sad that they're leaving the farm, but glad for the respite it provided; it looks like it's time to kick some butt now. :cool:=D=

Tarsier likes this.
  17. Tarsier

Jul 31, 2005
    Mira_Jade Again, thanks so, so much for taking the time to comment! It's really amazing to get so many comments on this silly story from such an obscure fandom :)

Oh, my goodness, but Calchek is quite the character!
    He definitely is a character! I have no idea if I actually captured him well here, but it was fun trying!

51. Greeting

Pain shot through his nerves and stars exploded in his eyes. One thing he had not missed about the Raza was getting hit in the face.

He held a hand up to his bleeding nose. “Who are you? Where’s Two?”

“I’m not here to answer your questions.” The strange woman with brown hair and a see-through top twisted One’s arm painfully behind his back. “But you’re going to answer mine.”

“Stop! Leave him alone! Where is everyone?” Five dug her nails into the woman’s forearm in an attempt to get her to release One. The woman didn’t seem to notice.

52. Initial Disbelief

“Take it easy.” Another stranger, a man with blond hair, approached. “Let’s just wait until the others return. I can sedate him if we need to.”

“Don’t you recognize him?” The woman shoved One towards the man. “This is Jace Corso.”

“No, I’m not. I’m One.”

The man studied One’s face for a moment. “We should wait for Two.”

Five didn’t know what she was angrier about—that these strangers, these interlopers on the Raza, were hitting and restraining One, or the fact that they hadn’t done a single thing to her, they barely even acknowledged that she was there.

- * -​
    53. Say Something

It was the third time in his three-month memory that One had been bound to a chair. He was going to have to learn a new technique to free himself, or, better yet, figure out how to avoid ticking off people who were stronger than him. Slim chance of the latter, given pretty much everything about his entire life.

Trying to talk his way out had not been particularly successful in the past, but it also hadn’t really hurt. Actually it had, but One couldn’t stand to do nothing any longer. It was a long shot, but it was something.

54. All About the Eyeliner

“I’m not wearing eyeliner.”

One’s female captor just glared at him.

“Maybe you don’t know—Jace Corso has a thing for hair gel and make-up. I don’t.”

She continued to stare at him, apparently unmoved.

“Pull up his photo, you’ll see.”

“For what it’s worth, he’s right,” the blond man confirmed as he poked at his tablet. “Jace Corso does like his eyeliner.”

The woman with the see-through shirt shifted, crossing her arms even tighter. “We are not freeing this man because he happened to remove his make-up before impersonating a dead man.”

One sighed. It was worth a shot.

- * -​
    55. Return

A shriek startled everyone. Nyx drew her gun. Devon trotted into the hallway. One stiffened in his chair.

Voices filtered in from the hallway:

“Two! Three! Four! I’ve missed you so much!”

“Kid! Where ya been?”

“Are you okay? Where did you come from?”

One relaxed. The others were here. Soon he’d be free and things would start getting back to normal.

“Hurry! They’ve got One tied up. You have to tell them to let him go.”

“One? Didn’t you hear, One is—”

Two stopped mid-sentence as she entered the room and saw One.

“Two. I’m so glad—”

56. Unrecognized

She had a pistol to his forehead before he could finish the sentence.

“What are you doing here, you scum-sucking filth?”

“No!” Five threw herself in between One and Two. “It’s One!”

“One is dead. Killed by this bottom-feeder. It’s been all over the news.”

“No! This is him! This is really One!

“We knew Jace Corso was coming. So we used clones.”

“Sorry, kid. Clones disintegrate when they’re killed. People would know.” Three stepped forward and put his finger under One’s chin. “Sure does look like him, though.”

“I am him. Just let me go and I’ll explain everything.”

18. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    Oh my God, Calcheck...you've got his voice down perfectly! (Or at least I can hear David Hewlett shouting when I read his lines :p )

Pain shot through his nerves and stars exploded in his eyes. One thing he had not missed about the Raza was getting hit in the face.

That sounds about right. Poor One. [face_laugh]

“For what it’s worth, he’s right,” the blond man confirmed as he poked at his tablet. “Jace Corso does like his eyeliner.”

[face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

Despite the seriousness of the situation (and the less than perfect reunion with the Raza), I really enjoyed the humour sprinkled throughout this latest update. :)

Also, Two's entrance is perfectly Two.

Tarsier likes this.
  19. Tarsier

Jul 31, 2005
    Idrelle_Miocovani Thank you!! I'm so excited that Calchek sounded right! :D I was worried about that. And Two - I'm glad so far she's ok! I almost ended this story at drabble 50 because I was struggling to write her. Please let me know what you think of my writing of her - even if it's terrible, I'd just like to know. :)

57. It All Comes Down to Four

“C’mon, Four! It’s me! Three’s an *******!” One was entering a level of panic he’d rarely felt before. Two might actually kill him. Because she thought he was his own killer.

“Hey! Not doing much to make friends here, are you?” Three unholstered his gun.

“Look at his eyes! Four, you have to see it! Just tell her it’s One,” Five begged as Nyx held her back.

Two still had her gun trained on One. Her gun didn’t move as she shifted her eyes towards Four. “What do you think?”

Four breathed deeply. “I believe the girl believes it’s him.”

58. Knowledge Won’t Save You…

Five twisted away from Nyx and positioned herself in front of One. “Don’t shoot! Just give him a chance!”

“Fine.” Two lowered her gun. “If it’ll make you feel better, we’ll let him dig his own grave.”

“I’m One. Three months ago, I woke up from stasis—”

“You’re gonna have to do a lot better than that. The story’s been all over the news.”

Two shifted her grip on the gun.

“And a few extra details won’t help. Jace Corso could have tortured One for hours before he killed him. I assume everything One knew Jace Corso now knows.”

59. …But the Killer Robot Might

One looked at Five, desperate for any suggestions.

Only one idea came to mind. “Maybe… Wendy?”

One looked up at Two. “If I tell you about Wendy will you believe me?”

“Almost certainly not. But make it interesting and you’ll buy yourself a few more minutes.”

“She was an entertainment model. She made the food bearable, she played games with Five, she could experience pleasure, and yeah, I was mad that you’d gone to bed with Three so we experienced some pleasure together. Right before she tried to kill everyone.”

Three turned to Four. “Told ya.”

Nyx and Devon snickered.

60. Second Thoughts

Wait.” Two’s command silenced the room. “What did you just say?”

“I thought you knew—” His cheeks were bright red. Whether it was fear, frustration, or embarrassment, it hardly mattered. Corso didn’t blush.

“About the android. Experiencing pleasure. How would you know that?”

“She told me. I asked her, you know, if there was anything in it for her…”

Never in a million years would Corso possess empathy for an android. Even if One had told him that detail, he wouldn’t have considered it important enough to remember, much less repeat.

Drang.” Two holstered her gun. “It is you.”

61. Freedom

Forgetting everyone else in the room, Two rushed up to One, held his face in her hands, and kissed him.

“I guess we’ll be leaving you two to your pleasure,” Three scoffed. Three, Four, Nyx, and Devon filed out of the room.

One pulled away from Two—or tried to, which wasn’t easy since he was still bound to a chair. He ended up toppling backwards, landing with a grunt of pain.

“Are you okay?”

“No,” he replied. Five immediately set to cutting his restraints.

Once he was free, Two grabbed his upper arm and hauled him to his feet.

62. Stay Away

“Ow.” One pushed Two away. He rubbed his arms. They must have lost feeling, being bound behind him for so long.

“Are you hurt?” Two set a hand on his shoulder.

“Don’t touch me. Just… stay away from me.” His hands trembled as he walked away.

Five still knelt on the floor, beside the toppled chair, watching as he left. “What’s going on?” Two asked.

“You really didn’t recognize him?”

“No, how would I?”

Five shrugged. “I think he thought you would.” She stood and started to leave. She paused, and, without turning around, added, “I thought you would, too.”

20. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    Sure thing! :)

I love how appropriate each of the titles are for this set. (Especially "Second Thoughts"). Loved the throw-back to the Wendy episode--Two picking up on One showing empathy for an android and that being the reason she trusts he's who he says he is was perfect.

Ouch, kid! Ouch.

(Although I also want to give Five a high five. Two's a bit of an oblivious dunce sometimes :p ).

Tarsier likes this.
  21. Tarsier

Jul 31, 2005
    Idrelle_Miocovani Thank you! I'm glad you like the titles. Usually when I write drabbles it's based on prompts, so it's been interesting trying to come up with titles. Some of them are just there because they need to be, but it's fun to try to add meaning with some of them.:)

63. Lost in Space

One stared at the ceiling, feeling wretched. He was humiliated. He was hurt.

He was worthless.

Two hadn’t recognized him. Despite their physical intimacy, she didn’t know him, didn’t trust him. He was just another stranger on the street.

If that was the case, there was no point in staying on this ship.

He couldn’t cut it as a businessman. Couldn’t cut it on the farm. Couldn’t cut it here.

The whole galaxy was corrupt, virtually every person he’d met was bad. Including himself.

He’d leave, if there was anywhere to go. Maybe he’d leave anyway. Go anywhere but here.

- * -​
    64. Fear

Two knocked on One’s door. When he didn’t respond, she overrode the lock and walked in. He lie in bed, flat on his back. He didn’t move when she entered.

“We had an assignment meeting for the mission. Where the hell were you?”

One didn’t acknowledge her.

“I’m talking to you.” In a flash of panic, Two stepped closer, to make sure he was being insolent and wasn’t dead or injured.

He sat up abruptly. Two’s relief felt more like anger.

“I didn’t go to your meeting because you made it pretty clear I’m not a part of this crew.”

65. Hurt

“I made sure you weren’t a threat. If your feelings got hurt in the process, too bad. You knew what it was like. You shouldn’t have come back if you can’t handle it.”

“I shouldn’t have come back? I should have let Five find her way on her own? Because you know she would have. I can’t explain it, but she actually seems to like you. All of you.

“I shouldn’t have warned you about the beacon? You can’t get your act together to not alert the galaxy to your location, and I’m the idiot for trying to help you?”

66. More Hurt

“You’re right. I am an idiot for coming back. I’m an idiot for thinking there might be an ounce of humanity in that manufactured brain of yours.”

“I know you think you’re special, with all your existential angst. But we’re all feeling it. We’ve all been struggling with our identities since we came out of stasis. I’m sorry if you were disappointed your rich boy life wasn’t all you hoped it would be. The rest of us are dealing with it, and I suggest you do too. If you can’t get with the program, get the hell off this ship.”

- * -​
    67. Comfort

Five tapped on One’s door. “It’s me.”

To her mild surprise, he let her in.

She immediately put her arms around him. “You can’t leave.”

“I can’t stay.”

“Because of Two? Whatever she said, she didn’t mean it. She misses you. It’s hard to tell because she’s Two. But I know she does.”

“What exactly does she miss? Her punching bag? Or her bed warmer?”

“The crew needs you. More than they’ll ever say. Maybe more than they’ll ever know. You and me, we have to keep them on the right path.

“Please. I’m afraid I can’t do it alone.”

- * -​
    68. Confusion (aka An Artless Explanation)

“I’m confused about one thing.”

“Only one?”

“If Jace Corso shot a clone, how come nobody knows? Clones disintegrate—don’t you think anyone has asked why they don’t have a body?”

“CoreLactic Industries took charge of the investigation. They probably know he’s not dead, but they don’t really care. They just want him out of the picture. They sent him a message. If he comes back, they’ll try again.”

“And Jace Corso just left the job unfinished?”

“It takes clones a couple minutes to disintegrate. Jace Corso may not have stuck around that long. Especially if he’d already been paid.”

- * -​

69. Moving Forward

The room got quiet when One entered the mess. He avoided all eye contact as he dropped into an empty chair.

Just as the silence was getting heavy, Four threw a roll, hitting One square in the forehead. It bounced off, landing on the table in front of him.

One looked up.

Four nodded at him. “You came here to eat, didn’t you?”

One picked up the roll and took a bite.

“You’re with me on the next mission.” Three slapped One on the shoulder. “Turns out, I kinda like having you at my back.”

One looked skeptically at Three.

70. Starting Over

Three continued, “These other fools think they know how to fight. Tend to get in my way.”

Nyx scoffed. Four grunted. Five laughed. Soon the mess was once again filled with noise.

Two entered and made herself a plate of food. One watched her as she moved across the room, and his eyes were still on her as she claimed the seat at the head of the table farthest from him. She looked up as she sat; for an instant, their eyes met across the ruckus.

The brief eye contact wasn’t forgiveness, or understanding. But maybe it was a start.

- The End -​

...of the drabbles.​
    I actually have have a few more bits written in non-drabble form. Mostly featuring Charlotte's Web, because how have I not mentioned Charlotte's Web yet? I'll post those tomorrow, and then it will be The End. Until I think of something else I have to add...​

22. Tarsier

Jul 31, 2005
    - Bonus: Charlotte's Web -

Author Note: I hope this isn’t confusing, because it will be out of chronological order, but I think the following is the best order to read these.

First, the canon:

Season 1, Episode 9 has the following exchange:
    Here’s a video of the episode, the above conversation occurs around 3:30:

At the end of the episode (~41:20), Three is seen reading Charlotte's Web with tears in his eyes.

Second: The following double drabble happens shortly after Drabble 70.

Sharing the Web

“It’s you.” Two made little attempt to hide her disappointment.

Three, unbothered by her lack of enthusiasm, strode into her room. “So that was super awkward.”

Two did not respond, continuing to prepare for bed.

“Coulda shot the sexual tension with a gun.”

“Did you come here for a reason?”

“Yeah, actually. You know the whole trying to be better people thing that everyone’s always talking about?”

“Look, now’s not a good time…”

“Okay, okay, I ain’t gonna bother you. It’s just…”

Two’s back was turned as she combed out her hair. Three removed a thin book from under his jacket and set it on her bed.

“…a while ago, your pretty boy gave me this dumb book. And I’m not saying it changed my life or anything… But if you wanted to, you know, read it, I would let you borrow it. Just so you and pretty boy would have something to talk about. Besides you trying to kill him and him being a total wuss about it.”

Three started to leave, but paused in the doorway to add, “I did say borrow. I’m gonna need it back. Just ‘cause it’s mine. I might sell it or something later.”

Third: For this next scene, I was trying to figure out under what scenario One would give Three a children’s book (or anything at all, for that matter) considering he strongly disliked him from the first minute. I’m not completely happy with the following, but it’s the best I’ve come up with so far. This is a missing scene from early in Season 1:

Sorting the Web

They had decided that their former selves must have had a tendency to throw away old clothes and buy new ones, instead of doing a laundry. At least, that was the best explanation they had for the large bin filled with assorted clothing.

Their current selves were a bit more pressed for cash, so they were currently trying to sort through and redistribute the clothing.

Two, Five, and Six's stuff was easy to identify, given their disparate sizes and styles. One, Three, and Four were more difficult, which is why Six had wanted at least two of them involved. It was definitely because he needed their help, and not because he was enjoying their bickering.

"It's a black jacket. How long you gotta gaze at it, pretty boy? Is it yours or not?"

One threw the jacket at Three as hard as he could. Which, given it was a jacket, was not very hard. "Probably Four."

"Fine. Four." Three chucked the jacket into Four's pile.

Six suppressed a smirk. He knew both One and Three were interested in increasing their wardrobe, but they steadfastly refused to admit to having anything in common, including taste in clothes. So if either of them showed the slightest interest in a garment, the other immediately disavowed any interest and the garment ended up in Four's pile.

Four had by far the biggest pile. One and Three had the clothes they were wearing.

Six pulled the next item out of the bin. Surprisingly, it was not a piece of clothing, but rather a children's picture book. "Five?" he asked, holding the book over her pile.

"More like Three." One took the book from Six and tossed it at Three.

Three scowled briefly and looked like he might fling the book away, but ultimately he did nothing. The book sat untouched beside him until the bin was sorted.

In the end, One left empty-handed; Three had his book.

Fourth: And finally, I guess I wanted to leave One and Two in a little better place than they were at the end of the drabbles. This takes place a bit after Sharing the Web (the double drabble above).

Analyzing the Web

From the hallway, she could hear him in the gym.

Two hesitated, chastised herself for hesitating, proceeded, stopped, mentally berated herself for her uncertainty, and finally entered the room.

His back was to the door as he sat on the bench lifting weights and he didn’t turn around when she entered. She selected a pair of weights—five pounds heavier than what he was lifting—and sat on the bench behind him.

“Three’s right.” Her voice was a bit louder and more forceful than she intended.

Finally, One set his weights down and turned toward her.

He was moving slowly, so she answered before he asked. “The pig’s a weakling. The spider’s a show-off.”

One nodded and turned back to his weights.

“Why would anyone raise spiders, anyway?” She started curling, both arms together, at a faster clip than usual, but it was the speed her body wanted to go.

“They don’t raise spiders. The spider is just there.”

“If it’s an intruder, why don’t they kill it?”

“It’s not hurting anything. Probably eats some of the more irritating insects.” He set his weights down again and looked back at her. She could tell he wanted to say something to her, probably to tell her to slow down, but he was smart enough to hold his tongue.

Her arms were feeling slightly fatigued, but her adrenaline was high and she didn’t slow. “I get your point. I would have slaughtered the runt pig and squashed the spider. I’m the evil farmer, only worse. That’s why you gave the book to Three. That’s why you wanted me to read it.”

“My point? I didn’t tell you to read the book. I didn’t even know you had a copy. I gave it to Three because it’s a children’s book; I intended it as an insult to his intelligence. Or at least his reading ability. The insult went right over his head, which should have made it all the more amusing, but really it was just sad.”

Two finally slowed, eventually resting the weights on either side of her.

“And you wouldn’t have killed the pig. Or the spider. No one who cares enough to read the book roots against the pig.”

“I thought the farmer made some good points. The pig was small and weak. If I was in the book, I wouldn’t have tried to stop him.”

“Of course you would have. If you were in the book, you would have been a little girl born on a quaint farm to a nice family. Not….” He trailed off, looking at her with pity in his eyes.

“What? Not manufactured in laboratory and trained to kill the runt pigs and meddling spiders of the galaxy?”

One was quiet for a long moment. “This is obviously not about a book.”

Two just stared at the far wall. Why had she come here, anyway? To reconcile with One, or to fight with him?

“I don’t know if Five told you. Derrick Moss was a terrible person. Corrupt, greedy. Probably caused the death, or at least the suffering, of thousands of people. And Titch… well, I’m pretty sure he was a runt. Ma seemed a bit too impressed when I could lift a fifty-pound bag of feed.

“But you know what? Screw Derrick Moss. Screw Titch. Screw Portia Lin. Screw Rebecca. My name is One. I got three-months’ worth of memories I’m responsible for. I’ve made some mistakes in that time, but I’m not ready to write-off One just yet.

“Your name is Two. And One…he kinda likes Two. He’s not ready to give up on her.” One stood up and moved behind Two, hovering a hand over her shoulder. “So, you better not either.”

His fingers just barely brushed the back of her neck as he left. His weights remained, sitting on the gym room floor.

23. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Oh! I let these compile without a reply; my apologies for that! :oops: But these have all been fantastic to read, as usual. I've had a lot of fun following this story. =D=

It was the third time in his three-month memory that One had been bound to a chair. He was going to have to learn a new technique to free himself, or, better yet, figure out how to avoid ticking off people who were stronger than him. Slim chance of the latter, given pretty much everything about his entire life.

Oh, One! That is a terrible ratio for such a short range of memories! :oops:

Five shrugged. “I think he thought you would.” She stood and started to leave. She paused, and, without turning around, added, “I thought you would, too.”

Ouch, ouch, ouch - that really hurt to read. :(

My point? I didn’t tell you to read the book. I didn’t even know you had a copy. I gave it to Three because it’s a children’s book; I intended it as an insult to his intelligence. Or at least his reading ability. The insult went right over his head, which should have made it all the more amusing, but really it was just sad.”

[face_laugh] I liked seeing the book go back and forth here, and this last double drabble really was the best! [face_love] Just:

“Of course you would have. If you were in the book, you would have been a little girl born on a quaint farm to a nice family. Not….” He trailed off, looking at her with pity in his eyes.

“What? Not manufactured in laboratory and trained to kill the runt pigs and meddling spiders of the galaxy?”

That was a gut-punch, but I really like where you ended the drabble for One and Two. And thus the collection. [face_love]

Thanks for sharing these! I really look forward to see what story inspires your muse next! =D=

Tarsier likes this.
  24. Tarsier

Jul 31, 2005
    Mira_Jade Thank you so much! I really do appreciate all your awesome comments! :D

Oh, One! That is a terrible ratio for such a short range of memories!
    It really is! And every time because of his darn Jace Corso face... :p

Ouch, ouch, ouch - that really hurt to read.
    It's always so cool to hear readers' reactions - Idri commented similarly, but I didn't really intend that line to be quite so cutting. Definitely gives me something to think about!

And of course I'm glad you like the ending. :) Endings are so important, I'm always really worried about geting them right - that's probably why a lot of my stories end up having more than one. :p

25. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    Two hadn’t recognized him. Despite their physical intimacy, she didn’t know him, didn’t trust him. He was just another stranger on the street.

That sounds pretty much like Two. :p Sucks for One, though...

I love that even though Two is being harsh, she has legitimate reasons to be suspicious.

“You’re right. I am an idiot for coming back. I’m an idiot for thinking there might be an ounce of humanity in that manufactured brain of yours.”

Ooooooh. Ouch.

The brief eye contact wasn’t forgiveness, or understanding. But maybe it was a start.

It was great to see One and Five back with the crew and settling into things. I like the looseness of the ending--One could very well do anything.

I really loved the additional pieces! You've really got a hang of the crew's dynamic (and Three's voice!). They were a lot of fun to read. :)

Congrats on finishing this! =D=

Tarsier likes this.