main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Dark Memories [Movie Quote Challenge]

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Carlos Danger, Jan 14, 2015.

1. Carlos Danger

Carlos Danger Jedi Master star 2

Jul 25, 2013
    MOVIE QUOTE CHALLENGE

I have to write a short story using the following quote:

How do you begin to explain something that you don’t even understand yourself? – The Lucky One (2012)

____________________________________________________________________________

There was the snap-hiss of his power suit depressurizing as robotic arms removed the black mask and helmet keeping him alive.

Within his hyperbaric chamber Darth Vader shifted in his seat uncomfortably. No matter how many times his life support armor was updated or refurbished, he was never free of the perpetual discomfort. Pain was his constant companion.

He looked down at his body, or what was left of it and wondered how his life had come to this. He was once the Jedi Order’s Chosen One—the legendary hero with no fear and the champion of the Clone Wars. He had captured the heart of a beautiful woman and had a child on the way. He didn’t think life could get better, until the nightmares started…and soon he knew fear—the fear of losing his family.

How could he go from fretting over the life of his wife and child to slaughtering younglings in the Temple crèche? He remembered his wife Padme begging him for answers, but how do you begin to explain something that you don’t even understand yourself?

For the last year, since the death of his wife and his imprisonment in this suit of horrors, he had time to contemplate his actions. He wanted to blame Obi-Wan, but he now knew it was Palpatine’s fault. He allowed the Chancellor to manipulate him since the day he was taunted into killing Count Dooku. Killing a prisoner went against everything the Jedi preached, but he did it, and took his first step toward the darkside. Palpatine promised him a way to save his family from danger, but he lied. Instead he sent him off on a killing spree that ensured Anakin Skywalker could never receive salvation or redemption.

Now he was a walking piece of scar tissue. The fire and lava of Mustafar burnt through his epidermis, dermis and subcutaneous fat, destroying nerves and tendons. He was horrified to discover his reproductive organs were gone and with them any chance of ever becoming a father. The lava pit fumes burned his lungs and trachea and damaged his vocal cords. He was fed intravenously while catheters and collection pouches dealt with his waste products.

He was no longer a man.

Now he was Emperor Palpatine’s pet—a neutered Nek Dog with a synthesized bark. He was trapped by his circumstances and his suit and had no one to turn to. The Jedi were gone and he killed Padme along with his unborn child. He had nothing, nothing but the Emperor.

He often wished he had died on that molten planet with Padme. Losing his life would have been far better than losing his reason to live.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  2. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Superb use of the quote & fantastic Vader introspection! =D= =D=

Carlos Danger likes this.
  3. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Great look into Vader's thoughts!
    I especially loved the last line!

Carlos Danger and Ewok Poet like this.
  4. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    What an emotional rollercoaster in such a short read! The earlier bits didn't make me feel sorry for Vader at all, as I was picturing him as young and arrogant Ani. Then it all started feeling strange. The fourth paragraph from the bottom made me feel physically ill and the very last sentence made me shed a single tear. Powerful, simple, but effective.

What a wonderful portrayal of an ex man, ex person, ex everything. Also, the bolded part would still be the highlight, even if it wasn't bolded.

The only little thing I'd change in this would be accenting the é in Padmé. Other than that, a great read. :)

Carlos Danger likes this.
  5. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    You continue to provide good prose.

6. Carlos Danger

Carlos Danger Jedi Master star 2

Jul 25, 2013
    Thank you. I am glad you enjoyed that short story. I thought I responded to reviewers when I first wrote this, but I obviously didn't. Sorry for the delayed response.
    Thank you. I think I must have Googled "Sappy sad quotes". I can't imagine I came up with that on my own...but stranger things have happened.
    Thanks! I am not sure how to make that accent mark over the "e". Sometimes spellcheck will do it if it recognizes the word, but it didn't recognize Padme. Wait...according to Google I have to push Opt + e, then e. Let me try that.....Padmé. Got it. :)
    Thank you. I appreciate the review!

Thanks to everybody who has read this story and a double thanks to those who reviewed. [:D]

Ewok Poet likes this.