Dark Mirror (AU, Luke, Mara, Jacen, Han, Leia, Jaina, Pellaeon, Thrawn, others, COMPLETE)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Gandalf the Grey, Nov 1, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grand Moff Joker Jedi Master

star 4
    The last installment was posted last Friday, so maybe we'll get another one today. What better time for a new chapter than right before the weekend?
  2. Gandalf the Grey Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I was originally going to wait until I had this entire chapter done before I posted it, but other concerns (homework and a land war in Asia) have slowed down my pace. So I've decided to post the first half of the battle now...

Chapter VII

Pellaeon look a long look across the bridge of the Chimaera. The mood was subdued, even grim. The confidence was still there, but the crew knew who the next battle would be against, and feared. Pellaeon had finished a short speech just moments ago from this bridge, which was broadcast throughout the fleet. Now the talking was over with. Only battle lay ahead.

Pellaeon felt moisture accumulating suspiciously around his eyes, and blinked it away. He didn?t dare show anything less than utter confidence before the men. Miat put a hand on his for a moment, then withdrew before anyone else could see.

?Captain Ardiff,? Pellaeon said.

?Sir?? asked the Chimaera?s captain, steadying up.

?Take good care of her,? Pellaeon said.

Ardiff smiled tightly. ?Aye, sir. Good luck, sir.?

?Good bye, Captain. May? May the Force be with you,? Pellaeon said with a nod, and turned down towards the turbolift. Miat followed him. They were silent for a few seconds as the turbolift brought them quickly to the shuttle bay, Pellaeon lost in thoughts and memories.

?How do you know that Thrawn will be at Toprawa?? Miat asked. ?And how do you know it isn?t a trap??

Pellaeon?s smile didn?t touch his eyes. ?I know Thrawn. He?s assuming that I still think like I did fifteen years ago. Sarreti?s noticed that Thrawn?s been slowly drawing his forces into that sector, pulling everything that he can spare together. From Toprawa, he can potentially reach Coruscant.?

?You don?t think that that isn?t a feint?? Miat asked. ?I seem to remember that during Thrawn?s last battle in this universe, the Republic pretended to aim at one system when they were actually going after another. And Thrawn saw right through it. How do you know that he isn?t reversing the trick??

?The systems were Tangrene and Bilbringi. Intelligence was ninety-seven percent certain that Tangrene was to be the target for a rebel attack. I argued with Thrawn long and hard over that,? Pellaeon said, his expression turning wistful. ?Thrawn was right. The rebels had staged a massive ploy, one that he had seen through. He didn?t see quite far enough though.?

?So how do you know he isn?t doing the same thing??

?I know Thrawn.? He could see that Miat was becoming slightly annoyed. He decided that the time had finally come to explain to Miat just how Thrawn was beatable. ?Thrawn assumes that I haven?t changed at all during the last fifteen years, and I know that he hasn?t changed. He knows that the best way to lure me out is with an obvious trap, one that I don?t dare ignore.?

?Wonderful.? The turbolift doors opened, and they reached the shuttle bay. Miat continued as they boarded their shuttle. ?What exactly were you planning to do after you walked into this trap??

?Win,? said Pellaeon, and saw Miat bite back a retort. ?My advantage, and Thrawn?s weakness, is change. That Thrawn is brilliant, even for one of his race, cannot be doubted. But he doesn?t understand change.?

Miat threw him a puzzled look as the shuttle powered up and took off, sliding gracefully out of the Chimaera?s hanger. ?Consider Thrawn?s defeats. What he considered to be his greatest military failure, against that race with the strange piece of artwork that I showed you. They had a group mind that changed its tactics and strategies every few minutes. He couldn?t predict what they would do next, and suffered a series of grave defeats at their hands, even though he had the superior technology and numbers. In the end, his only recourse was to hand command off to a more junior officer, who he ordered to destroy their world.?

Ahead of the shuttle spread the fleet, New Republic and Imperial forces both, in all of their glory. Star Destroyers, Mon Cal Cruisers, Bothan Assault Cruisers, Corvettes, Assault Frigates, Interdictors, and huge clouds of
  3. MariahJade2 Former Fan Fiction Archive Editor

VIP
    star 5
    Excellent! I loved Jaina's vision of all the different battles of good vs evil.
    And what a great explanation for Thrawns failures.

How fitting that it is Fels Love for someone that causes all this.
    Another good read Gandolf. Thanks.
  4. technomage Jedi Knight

star 1
    This story is much better than NJO.

There's no denying it.
  5. DemolitionBoy Jedi Knight

star 2
    Yay!! I know youre gonna make this part really good, Gandolf!
  6. RebelMom Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Very good explanation of Thrawn and his failures. Can't wait to see the outcome.
  7. starwarsfan1000 Jedi Master

star 4
  8. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost

star 6
    Wow....for a second there i thought Thrawn was gonna make Rukh kill him. Very good explaination for Thrawn's failures too.
  9. Grand Moff Joker Jedi Master

star 4
    Good. Goooooooooood!

Gandalf, I interpreted part of Jaina's visions about the battle against the Darkness in other universes to represent the battle that currently exists in our own world. Intentional on your part, or am I just reading this into her vision given all that has happened in the last few weeks?

Also, I'll ask this question again. When your story is complete, are you planning to make a printable/saveable version of Dark Mirror that fans can download?
  10. jade51999 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Have few words to say

;)

good job,

i'll wait for the whole chapter..:)
  11. Wylding Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    That was a most enjoyable post Gandalf :)

You did a wonderful job. Truly wonderful.

Thank you.
  12. Dark_Soldier Jedi Master

star 4
    Great post!! Awesome!!
    I can't wait to see what happens next!!

Up!
  13. Melne_Crtor Jedi Knight

star 2
    Woah!

Fel's sacrifice was for a most noble cause, and I can totally see him acting that way based on the X-Wing comics. In the novels he's not so honourable, mind you, but eh :)

And Jaina's vision was well done, too. It really does relate not just to the current situation here on Earth, but in all wars in any time and any place.

Bravo!
  14. Wylding Jedi Grand Master

star 5
  15. Gandalf the Grey Jedi Grand Master

star 6

Part II of Pellaeon vs Thrawn.

Certain elements of this post contain similarities to the events of 9/11. Viewer discretion is advised.

Pellaeon felt the Ecthelion shudder slightly underneath him as it launched yet another massive volley of T-33 torpedoes. They streaked in towards their targets trailing yellow flame. Most were picked off, but some got through and exploded in huge blue-white flares against the shields of enemy Star Destroyers. The Ecthelion, flanked by a quartet of Mon Cal cruisers, was moving across the edge of the battlefield, using it considerable firepower to wear down the enemy.

Surrounding the Ecthelion was a swarm of snubfighters that were busy picking off enemy torpedoes. The Republic and Imperial fighters ruled the battlefield, as there were no invader starfighters to hold them off. They were diving towards enemy capital ships and launching their weapons at the last possible moment. At ranges of less than fifty meters, the invaders countermeasures were completely useless.

But those dives also brought them well within range of the main batteries of the Star Destroyers. XJ-Wings and TIE?s were returning to the capital ships if their shields dropped below an acceptable limit and letting their ships energy levels build back up before returning to the fray. Losses had been light among snubfighters, though Pellaeon had lost more capital ships than he?d hoped he?d lose.

The enemy still had firepower at least the equal of the allies, but Pellaeon was trying to be careful to keep his ships in an ever moving, ever shifting pattern. Ships taking severe damage fell back and fresh ship took their place. But in the last few minutes, Thrawn had apparently caught on to the stratagem, and was slowly starting to encircle the combined fleet. This spread his own lines dangerously thin in points, but Thrawn was being careful about which points they were.

Pellaeon could feel the tide of the battle starting to turn again as Thrawn finally began to grasp his strategy and set his mind to marshalling his forces. Already, on one flank Thrawn had mustered together a group of Star Destroyers that was slowly wedging Pellaeon?s own fleet apart. He would divide the allied fleet into two halves and destroy them both at their leisure. Pellaeon?s instinct was to send a group of quick moving Frigates and Corvettes to slow them down while he diverted Star Destroyers away from the front.

He didn?t listen to instinct. Thrawn had begun to work his magic, and Pellaeon knew that there was a fairly decent chance that Pellaeon?s response was planned for and anticipated. Instead, he opened up a transmission to the New Republic Admiral Kre?fry. The Admirals thick white fur was standing on edge, his nostrils flaring as he answered the transmission. A Bothan, but an atypical Bothan that Pellaeon had come to like.

?Yes Admiral?? Kre?fry asked, glancing off to the side. Pellaeon heard a bleeping from his own screens, but ignored it for the moment.

?I believe that it?s time to implement phase II.? Pellaeon said calmly, but feeling a twinge of doubt.

?Very good Admiral,? said Kre?fry. ?Thank you for your confidence.? Kre?fry closed the transmission, and Pellaeon stood up, tugging at his uniform.

Miat put a hand on his arm. ?Are you sure that?s such a good idea?? she asked.

?What? Handing over control of the fleet to an alien I hardly know?? Pellaeon asked.

?That would be the action in question, yes.? Miat had that look on her face. He imagined that he must have looked the same way when he was the captain of the Chimaera in the days when Thrawn would plunge head-first into what seemed disaster, and yet somehow pull out a brilliant victory. It was a continual war between trust in the commander and ones own common sense.

?Thrawn had already begun to adapt. If not to me specifically, then at least to a human line of thought. A Bothan thinks differently than a human. They tend to be slightly more aggressive in certain ways. I think that it will be enough to confuse him, for a short perio
  16. Booster-1986 Jedi Knight

star 2
    Oh I agree, and if you want to talk about one ship ramming another, consider how Darth Vader's Super Star Destroyer was destroyed in RotJ or how the technique was used in the Corellian Trilogy.

17. Jedi Merkurian Episode VII Thread-Reaper

Manager
    star 6
    Wow.

That's all I got to say about that...
  18. DemolitionBoy Jedi Knight

star 2
    Good post. Kinda sad about Pellaeon and the Chimaera.
  19. starwarsfan1000 Jedi Master

star 4
  20. Grand Moff Joker Jedi Master

star 4
    Wow, indeed. That was an excellent post.

I really loved the "HE... WILL... FLINCH!" from Thrawn. So confident and sure of himself... and yet as he suddenly began to doubt, the strain caught up with him and he lost his composure.

Quite profound when the unbeatable foe realizes his defeat.
  21. jade51999 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Palleon didn' go down with the ship right??

That was sad..:(

but incredible storytelling...

22. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost

star 6
    Well, at least Thrawn is still alive..I'm happy with that.

Great post!
  23. sith_lady17 Jedi Knight

star 3
    Oh no... Pellaeon is dead... :( and Thrawn is still alive! :mad:
    Gandolf, you're doing a wonderful job at this story! :D
  24. Rokangus Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I believe Pellaeon was commanding from the newly repaired Ecthelion, not from on board the Chimaera.
  25. Marie_Jadewalker Jedi Master

star 4
    Wow. There were so many amazing things in those two posts that I don't even know what to say.

First, I agree with Rokangus's interpretation. Pellaeon was not on the Chimera; he was commanding from another ship and the Chimera was actually on autopilot when it hit.

I loved your (Pellaeon's) analysis of Thrawn. Very accurate, though I wouldn't have predicted it.

Baron Fel's actions are in keeping with his character. Even his clones in the Hand of Thrawn duology made a very daring move to save something that meant a lot to them--their lands and families.

I loved Jaina's vision. It is so appropriate for current events, yet so universally true.

The battle itself was masterfully written. It is erie how similar it is, and yet in our grief it is natural to see parallels whether they are intentional or not. Thank you for the warning ahead of time and the explanation following.

Jaina and Miatt both felt the action going on in the "Dark Mirror." I'm assuming this will be the fight between the Lukes. I'm looking forward to that with much anticipation.

You truly should consider writing as a profession, Gandolf.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.