Dark Mirror (AU, Luke, Mara, Jacen, Han, Leia, Jaina, Pellaeon, Thrawn, others, COMPLETE)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Gandalf the Grey, Nov 1, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MaceWinducannotdie Jedi Master

star 4
    This makes reading the NJO seem like a chore.
  2. Wylding Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    You know I enjoyed that post so much Gandalf that I had to post a short story of my own (well, not really my own, but an oldie that some may find a little something in it that is familiar in spirit and bearing). I don't know why this came into my head at this time...maybe it's intuition about Luke's serene state of mind. I don't know. Anyway, here it is:

"A master of the tea ceremony in old Japan once accidentally slighted a soldier. He quickly apologized, but the rather impetuous soldier demanded that the matter be settled in a sword duel. The tea master, who had no experience with swords, asked the advice of a fellow Zen master who did possess such skill. As he was served by his friend, the Zen swordsman could not help but notice how the tea master performed his art with perfect concentration and tranquility. "Tomorrow," the Zen swordsman said, "when you duel the soldier, hold your weapon above your head, as if ready to strike, and face him with the same concentration and tranquility with which you perform the tea ceremony." The next day, at the appointed time and place for the duel, the tea master followed this advice. The soldier, readying himself to strike, stared for a long time into the fully attentive but calm face of the tea master. Finally, the soldier lowered his sword, apologized for his arrogance, and left without a blow being struck."

3. starwarsfan1000 Jedi Master

star 4
  4. jade51999 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    WHOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Gandalf!!
    I can't believe its almost over!!!!

yea!!!!

Great Post..wow..

i don't know who the guy in the armor with the alias is so if any of you all do know...

feel free to tell me..i'm clueless
  5. Grand Moff Joker Force Ghost

star 4
    Jade5199, that would be none other than... Boba Fett.

In various other EU sources, it was revealed that Boba Fett sometimes used the alias "Jaster Mareel".

Speaking of Fett, I think it's extraordinary that even at this late stage in the story, we're still being introduced to new Dark Universe versions of characters were know! The introduction of Fett and the two droids was great.

Excellent post, Gandalf! Doesn't look like you're going to be finished with a year's time, though. But after you're done, I know we'll all be wanting more!
  6. Marie_Jadewalker Jedi Master

star 4
    Wow.

I loved the appearance of the droids! Truly fantastic. All of Karrde's people are great and your treatment of his character is much better than the current profic's.

OMG!!! I just realized that I somehow missed your post on 9/8. (I hadn't noticed before because you switched to a chapter on the Light side of the "Mirror" after that) That post was breathtaking and I'm going to comment on it even though it's way overdue.

I love the fact that Mara has a body again--and that she was able to attain it without going to the dark. The revelation that she'd been studying under the great Jedi Masters in the afterlife is awesome! And I love the fact that even with that she still doesn't match up to Luke's understanding. The Master isn't eclipsed by little solo uberbrats in THIS fic, thank you kindly. ;) (Seriously, I appreciate your treatment of Luke.) The change in eye-color in both Lukes was also a very nice touch.

The second appearance of the Fates was fantastic and the foreshadowing was superb. I loved the mention of the one silver thread amidst the dark--I suspect that refers to Dark Luke's love for Dark Emperess Mara?
  7. Melne_Crtor Jedi Knight

star 2
    OK, first off: I love Lukey as an Avatar! Your portrayal is, as Marie said, how the pro authors "should" have done it. Luke is the most powerful Jedi ever, end of story.

The detail of the Death Star's ID process, Fett/Mereel, and the droids were great touches.

Of course, now that I've seen your sig, I'm going to have to stay at the JC. (I was planning on leaving once this fic finished up, but now I've an incentive. Young Palpy!)

Anyway, to the next couple of posts, look forward I do.
  8. MariahJade2 Former Fan Fiction Archive Editor

VIP
    star 5
    Wonderful. :) It is nice to see all those different points of action. I'm very curious what is going on with Winter. I just loved the thing with the droids. Reassembled, carnivorous, landmines and a flood. LOL. It's comforting to see that in any universe they are still the same.

I do thank you for bringing Mara back. Luke seemed almost Christ like in that post, first healing the woman and the innocence of the child's response to him.

I'm going to be sad when this is over.
  9. Wylding Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I'm quite pleased that you're going to be writing another fanfic Gandalf :)
  10. DemolitionBoy Jedi Knight

star 2
    Great post! Cant wait for more
  11. Lord_Ogli Force Ghost

star 4
    WOW.

I started this story two weeks ago and have been hooked ever since.

I am a fan of the NJO dispite it's shotcommings but this tops everything in profic.

I feel strange posting now, i wanted to wait till i had cought up but now here i am, In the position of waiting for the next post, So as i've heard so many times:

UP UP UP UP UP UP UP UP UP UP UP UP UP UP UP

:) been waiting for that one for ages ;-)
  12. Lord_Ogli Force Ghost

star 4
    Oh and to the confusion about Fett.

His real name was Jaster Mareel but he changet it to Fett when he was bannished for murder on his home plannet.

P.S Wylding i love your Zen master stories.
  13. MariahJade2 Former Fan Fiction Archive Editor

VIP
    star 5
  14. Gandalf the Grey Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    JediVegeta: I'm going to miss the story too. It's been a constant for me for so long now, I'm a little sad to think it will be over. Of course, there's always room for sequels (NO PROMISES!)

Wylding: I'm going really miss those Zen posts too. [sniff] I'm getting nostalgic already!

Grand Moff Joker: Thanks for pointing out that it was Fett. I was worried that I was being too subtle there. :p

Marie_Jadewalker: I was actually originally going to have the Light Side droids cross over - Artoo was going to sneak away from Leia and drag Threepio off on a series of misadventures getting through the portal. That's why I had him painted black in an earlier chapter, because I was going to say that Imperial astromechs all had a black color scheme. In the end, I let the plotline drop before I did anything with it, but that's why it took so long to introduce the droids. If I had known in the first place that I was going to end up using their counterparts, I would have introduced the counterparts sooner. Ah well, c'est le vie... :p

Melne_Crtor: There?s a preview of the Palpatine fic here. You have to scroll down a long way.

MariahJade2: Christ-like was the intent. Next chapter, I go for God-like :D

Lord_Ogli and everyone else I missed: Thank you!

I think that this post is the longest I've made since Christmas. Here?s where I get back into that Dark stuff again. This post might start out happy, but it sure doesn?t end that way. Still, some readers of the NJO might be happy. One chapter and one epilogue to go? I might just make it!

Mara looked up. And up. The Imperial Palace sprawled before them, dominating the cityscape. Construction had begun over forty years earlier and was still continuing. Mara suspected that given enough time it would probably cover the entire planet. On most planets, it already would have been larger than a whole city. There were corridors in it that a Star Destroyer could sail down, or where a squadron of snubfighters could have a dogfight and not have to worry about the walls or ceiling. The dark heart of Imperial power shone before them under the midday sun.

They came with the tourists. Billions of people from all over the galaxy visited the Palace every year, and it was childishly simple for Mara and Luke to sneak onboard a sky-bus. A high quality sky-bus. ?Would the madam like some wine? We have a green Ithorian ?14, slightly chilled, with a hint of honey aftertaste. The Emperor bought five thousand bottles of the ?08 black for the celebrations of the twenty fifth year of his reign, and Ithorian wines are the rage ever since,? waiter said, twirling his moustache with his right hand.

?No thank you,? said Mara. ?But I would like two mugs of hot chocolate if you have it. With marshmallows.? The waiter sniffed, obviously disapproving of her blatant lack of taste, but Luke smiled. Mara looked out the window again, at the Palace slowly passing beneath them. The sky-bus catered to rich and powerful sightseeing tourists, and a cultured voice was pointing out landmarks as they cruised past them.

?Ahead you may be able to see the Imperial Arch of Triumph. It was erected during the twenty first year of the Emperors reign, following the final consolidation of the galaxy. It soars over three kilometers into the sky, a marvel of Imperial engineering. Not one repulserlift is used to hold up its massive weight?? The voice just kept droning on. Luke laughed gently.

?Get out of my head, Skywalker,? she said irritably.

?Not this time Mara,? said Luke. ?Your face gave you away.? Mara blinked, and schooled her features into a bland look of upper-class boredom and distaste. ?Is this better, darling?? she asked, laying on the Coruscant accent heavily. Luke laughed.

The waiter returned bearing a tray with the two steaming mugs on it. ?For madam and monsieur,? he said, stiffly handing them their beverages. ?Will there be anything else?? he asked out of professional curtsey.

?No thank you,? sa
  15. MaceWinducannotdie Jedi Master

star 4
  16. technomage Jedi Knight

star 1
    Screw the NJO.

As far as I'm concerned, this is the continuation of the story.
  17. Grand Moff Joker Force Ghost

star 4
    Most excellent!

"He took the opportunity to punch the Emperor in the gut with his free hand, and winced. He?d forgotten about the body armor. "

This reminded me of a scene near the end of the Nicholson/Keaton 'Batman' movie. The Joker "spits" a pair of plastic chattering teeth on the floor. While Batman is distracted, Joker takes the opportunity for a cheap shot punch to Batman's gut. Unfortunately, he too forgot about the body armor... and he dances around in pain after his hand crunches ineffectively and painfully against Batman's suit.

"And now comes the part where I relieve you, the little people, of the burden of your failed and useless lives. But as my plastic surgeon always said... If you've gotta go, go with a smile!"
  18. Wylding Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    LOL

Great quote GMJ!

Gandolf, hopefully I'll stick around and you can hear more Zen stories :)
  19. starwarsfan1000 Jedi Master

star 4
  20. Melne_Crtor Jedi Knight

star 2
    :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

GFFA Luke and Mara or Dark Luke and Mara? *flips coin* You have me guessing, riveted, right to the end.

Gandolf, you really are writing what should have happened in the NJO. I know a lot of people are upset with LFL and DR for daring to kill off loved characters, but you don't have qualms about that either. You just do it well. Jacen's choice was appropriate on so many levels. His grandfather really would be proud.

The little tidbits like the reference to the Evil Overlord Guide and Vader's assassin droids are fantastic. They ground the story, make it real. I am going to miss it, though... :_|

(Of course, the preview for I, Sith is promising. Can't wait.)
  21. jade51999 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I, Sith???

Is that his next one?!

HOly shnenagins..yikes!!

WOWOWOWOW

Gandalf..this is by far amazing..

I can't say it is "NJO" but you really really should get something published!!

i would buy it all
  22. DemolitionBoy Jedi Knight

star 2
    Great post! I wonder who will win... ?[face_plain]

And whats going to happen to Jacen?!
  23. MariahJade2 Former Fan Fiction Archive Editor

VIP
    star 5
    I hope Jacen doesn't die. I actually like your Jacen. All I can say about that post was WOW! If there are any LFL or Del Rey lurkers on this story,.... give this guy a contract.
  24. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost

star 6
    What the kriff? My post disappeared!

Anyway as I had said.....

I think Jacen is dead since not many can survive a lightsaber wound to the chest.

I hope that when Gandolf starts wrapping up the story he doesnt forget the LGFFA, especially Thrawn. I gotta know what happened to him and if Fel gets his son back.
  25. Marie_Jadewalker Jedi Master

star 4
    Wow. I keep saying that, but it's always true.

The fight between LGFA Luke and Mara and Emporer/Emporess Luke and Mara is amazing.

Jacen's part was breathtaking. I loved the fog distraction. :) I do not doubt that Jacen is dead, but I think his death was truly worthy and noble. For one thing, given the effects of millions of deaths on the Dark Side, I wouldn't have wanted to see what Billions woudl have done. Jacen's sacrifice may well make it possible for Light to triumph in the end.

Jacen had to make a terrible choice and it almost certainly resulted in his death--but given the circumstances I think he might actually have prefered that. He wanted the "normal" life of a Jedi Master--perhaps a family, but certainly always persuing a greater understanding of the Force. Although I think he did what needed to be done in this case, I think causing so many innocents to die would have tarnished the rest of his life. Yes, it was neccessary to save the lives of others, but it was still his action, and I doubt that a peace-loving Jedi could ever achieve a "normal" life again after such an event.

Whoa, I'm going to stop babbling now.

This is an amazing story, Gandolf, and I really think you should look into writing professionally. However, I don't think Del Ray would consider you; your attitude towards Anakin and your characterization of everyone else (like actually giving them consitent personalities) goes against the party line. [I do actually like the NJO--sometimes--but this is better.]

~Marie
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.