main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Dark Mirror (AU, Luke, Mara, Jacen, Han, Leia, Jaina, Pellaeon, Thrawn, others, COMPLETE)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Gandalf the Grey, Nov 1, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord_Ogli

Lord_Ogli Jedi Master star 4

Oct 5, 2001
    WOW.Just WOW.

Gandolf that was fantastic, i don't know how you do it but you have inspired me.

I have begun gathering ideas for my own fan fic called Revenge of the Jedi.(the original title of Return of the Jedi i know)and it will follow the first rising of the Sith.

If anyone knows anything about this already from books or comics then i would appreciate any info so i dont **** it up.

But back to the story, i can't wait for the epiloge so go Gandolf and up post.

2. Lord_Ogli

Oct 5, 2001
    Well, it's time for me to leave college (befor i miss the bus and become a permenate resident).

So befor i go i must repeat - GET ON WITH IT GANDOLF. Please.

Oh and UP

3. Lord_Ogli

Oct 5, 2001
    Well, it's time for me to leave college (befor i miss the bus and become a permenate resident).

So befor i go i must repeat - GET ON WITH IT GANDOLF. Please.

Oh and UP

4. MariahJade2

MariahJade2 Former Fan Fiction Archive Editor star 5 VIP

Mar 18, 2001
    Up so more can read this. :)

5. Wylding

Wylding Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 13, 2000
    Yeah, more people need to read this...

6. Grand Moff Joker

Grand Moff Joker Jedi Master star 4

Oct 13, 1999
    Absolutely. I'm still really hoping Gandolf will post this story in its entirity as a Doc file when he's done so it will be easier to send to others and re-read without weeding through the other posts.

7. Lord_Ogli

Oct 5, 2001
    It is true that i would like this story in a text file format for easy reading but i also enjoy the chance to see what others think and where I can help and be helped in understanding the story.

8. quietlunatic

quietlunatic Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 13, 2001
    Great last couple story posts.

I'm with Grand Moff Joker. Gandolf, are you considering submitting it to the fanfic archive?

9. Grand Moff Joker

Grand Moff Joker Jedi Master star 4

Oct 13, 1999
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DARK MIRROR!!!

Gandalf posted the first part of this absolutely awesome and incredible story one year ago today. Many thanks for all the hours of entertainment, Gandalf!

10. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    A year and a day later, it's over. It's been fun...

Epilogue

He swam in the darkness below conscious thought. Not a hateful darkness, not an absence of light and hope. It was the darkness that shielded and brought sleep and peace. Above him was light, but he shied away. He didn?t want to go there, feared without knowing what he was fearing.

Raindrops. He felt raindrops falling on someone?s face. His own? With thought, memory began to stir. He flinched away. Memories hurt. He heard a woman crying. He knew that woman, and he didn?t want her to cry. He wanted to reassure her that he was all right, that everything was all right. But to tell her that he would have to swim up.

Mara. That was the name. She meant something to him. She meant everything to him. For her, he had done something. Light swelled, and in a deep down, animal part of his brain he knew that if he touched memory he would awaken to a dangerous and painful world. He had never shied away from pain.

Luke opened his eyes and groaned, and Mara sobbed in relief, burying her head against his chest. He let her sob, murmuring meaningless words of comfort as he rubbed her back, allowing himself to relive in memory the last few instants of the battle. He shuddered, but Mara didn?t notice.

He had almost had it, almost had absolute power. It was within his grasp, and he hadn?t taken the last step. For a moment, he felt a surge of anger with himself, and then logic returned. What good would it have done him to destroy everything? He would be as nonexistent as everything else, not even having a void to rule. No, he had made the right choice. And, tightening his arms around Mara, he decided that he had made it for the right reason as well.

Finally, Mara stopped crying and simply lay her head across his chest. He could feel her breathing, hear her heartbeat. Their link had never felt this close. A cool breeze swept over them; he saw that they were on a grassy hilltop under a sky of stars. A pale moon shone overhead, giving everything a silver glow. As nearly as he could figure, it was springtime. Crops were planted in nearby fields, though he saw no sign of any droids. A small village was within sight, about five kilometers away across the fields.

?Where are we?? he finally asked, and Mara stirred.

?I don?t know,? she said. ?I woke up here a few minutes ago, and you were lying next to me. I was hoping that you knew. I?? she swallowed hard, ?I can?t use the Force. I can?t even touch it.?

Luke shook his head. That was impossible. The bond between them was stronger than ever. It felt somehow cleaner than it had ever felt. He reached for the Force, and found nothing. His jaw dropped open slightly. It was like the Force didn?t even exist. ?I told you,? said Mara, her voice wavering.

Luke had a sudden sneaking suspicion. He reached for the Force again, but a different side of it. The Light Side. And found it. He touched it tentatively, as if expecting pain. But there was none. It flowed into him, bringing healing and insight.

?We?ve been cut off from the Dark Side of the Force,? he said, knowing it to be true. He closed his eyes and let the Force tell him what had happened to him. ?It?s a penance. We?ve been made immortal, until we?ve paid off our debts.?

?Debts?? Mara asked, suspicious.

?All the evil we?ve done in our lives. We have to make the scales balance; until then we?re doomed to wander the planes for eternity.? He could feel the grim weight of his crimes weighing down on his shoulders. He might not like his punishment, but he knew it was just.

Mara went pale enough for him to notice despite the poor light. ?That?s a lot to make up for,? she said.

?Then we might as well get started,? said Luke, standing up. He adjusted his cloak and checked his lightsaber. Somewhere down in the village, someone needed a Jedi Knight or two. They?d have to do. Mara rose and stood next to him, and the wind ruffled their hair. After this village, there would be more. He knew that he would automatically find himself wher

11. starwarsfan1000

starwarsfan1000 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 21, 2000
    Wonderful post. :)

12. Padawan_Di-Lee

Padawan_Di-Lee Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 15, 2000
    Bravo, Gandolf. Nice wrap up for all involved, and LOL on Jar Jar's role in Luke's new dimension.

Looking forward to your next story. :)

13. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost star 6

Jul 1, 2000
    Wonderful!!! Excellent! Stupendous!! I dont know what else to say! Gosh...You gotta complie this story and put it up so we can read it complete anytime! This is one story that I shall keep in memory forever!

What is it called with DLuke and DMara?....Poetic justice? Whatever...but it is a great justice. I wonder if they'd gone insane a couple times from the 'long' life.

Jar Jar Binks as Prez is just....just....unimaginable yet funny.

Poor Thrawn, spending the rest of his life under house arrest. Damn Gandolf, thats a LONG house arrest.

I wanna go see the art meusem!!!

Again Gandolf, like so many others before me, have you EVER considered writing professionally? If you do and you ever get the chance to write SW one day, submit this to Dark Horse and make it an Infinities comic! Its the only way I can think of that can get this story published. I'D BUY IT!

Can we now bug you with questions like all fans do to authors? Plllllllleaaaaase!

14. MariahJade2

MariahJade2 Former Fan Fiction Archive Editor star 5 VIP

Mar 18, 2001
    Awsome, beautiful ending. I shall miss this story, but look forward to your next. Thank you for sharing this with us. :)

I hope you plan to have it archived.

15. JediVegeta

JediVegeta Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2000
    Great Job on your last post for this story! I loved the Anakin and Jar Jar thing! Hee hee!

Awesome Post Gandolf. Looking foward tou your next epic story! :)

16. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    Congratulations on finishing your story. It was entertaining to read. Thanks.

17. jade51999

jade51999 Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    Gandalf,

Great ending
    and i like the tying up of everythign at the end,

Jar Jar as prez matches up with that other story of yours...:)

I know this sounds odd..but what did happen to jacen?

or are we meant not to know? (its possible i missed it and i'll go back and read..)

Thank You Gandalf for a wonderful story, this is truly a masterpiece...i hope to see a book by you lining the shelves of my house one day

i'll look out for more!...

(now everyone go out and buy SBS its awesome!!!)

18. DarkATX

DarkATX Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 14, 2000
    Oddly enough, Dark mirror was the first fic I ever read on these here boards. I was deeply intrigued by the turn about of events.

Sadly, I never read another installment since the first one came out last year since I took an unintended sabbatical form this forum for a few months. It got lost over time. Now it's complete and I'm interested all over again to probably just read the entire thing during a span of a week or two and enjoy it as so many others have clearly attested to already. ;)

Congrats on creating an inspiring piece of fic writing.

19. DemolitionBoy

DemolitionBoy Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 6, 2001
    Bravo! Wonderful ending.

It was a great story Gandolf. Sorry to see it go. But Im looking forward to your next.

20. The Butler

The Butler Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 1999
    Emperor Pellaeon and Empress Miat...Yes, that does seem a fitting future for the revived Empire. Somehow, love and wisdom do triumph. As for Fey'lya's sudden retirement and Wedge's new career...LOL!

Once again, Gandolf, I applaud your gutsy decisions to kill off central characters (and IMPRISON Thrawn for the rest of his life! :( I feel very sorry for the beloved Grand Admiral, but it was a logical call.)

Still, you couldn't resist, could you? Even though you're ending the story, you just HAD to drop hints about "the long dark road" Jacen's taken and the day when Luke will have to use his powers for the last time. I feel like the way I did when I finished Guy Gavriel Kay's Tigana...Couldn't decide whether to worship the author or throttle him. :)

21. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    DemolitionBoy, JediVegeta, MariahJade2, starwarsfan1000: Thanks :)

The Butler:
    I feel like the way I did when I finished Guy Gavriel Kay's Tigana...
    ?And it is there that they see the riselka, three men see a riselka, sitting on a rock beside the sunlit path, her long sea green hair blowing back in the freshening breeze.?
    Oy, I felt the felt same way. Even knowing that the riselka was probably Dianora, it still made we want to track Kay down and make him tell me what happened next! I feel the same way after every Kay book. I wish he?d go back in Fionaver some day and do more stories on the survivors, especially Pwyll Twiceborn. sigh

Jade51999:
    ?I know this sounds odd..but what did happen to jacen? ?
    Even I?m not sure. I left his fate deliberately vague. Nor do I know what happened to Wes Janson.
    On one hand, it is rather difficult to survive a lightsaber in the chest. On the other, Luke didn?t say that he was dead, and he would know.;)

DarkATX:
    I hope you enjoyed what came. :)

CmdrMitthrawnuruodo:
    ?Can we now bug you with questions like all fans do to authors? Plllllllleaaaaase!?
    Sure. I?d been planning to put up some of my original plotlines one or two unfinished or cut scenes after I finished. I think some of the original plans are surprising in how different they were from how things turned out.

Padawan_Di-Lee, RebelMom:
    Thanks you. Now you keep writing yourselves! ;)

Shameless self promotion:
    I?ve put up a couple of short humor fics lately. The ?Day in the life of?? stories are accounts of a typical day for each of the characters.
    A Day in the Life of Luke Skywalker
    A Day in the Life of Emperor Palpatine
    A Day in the Life of Anakin Skywalker
    A Day in the Life of Obi Wan Kenobi

This is the fic that Jade51999 mentioned, that ties loosely into the epilogue. It?s also humor.
    Jar Jar?s Duel of Fates

22. Perator

Perator Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 3, 2000
    Great work. I've really enjoyed reading this over the past year. This is the first, and only AU type story I've read, adn I really enjoyed it all. I can't wait to read your next story.

Perator

23. Melne_Crtor

Melne_Crtor Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 9, 2000
    I, like the others, enjoyed this story and will miss it.

The ending was very well done, and the epilogue tied up the loose ends (no one SHOULD ever know what happened to Janson!).

Well done.

24. technomage

technomage Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 24, 2000
    I first started reading your stories towards the end of Phoenix, and I have to admit, at the start I was disappointed that you didn't follow it up and write the sequel. But this story surpasses Phoenix in every category. I've long since almost forgotten about your first story.

If your first story was very good, and your second was incredible, how good is #3 going to be? I guess we'll just have to find out.

25. Rokangus

Rokangus Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 18, 2000
    Oh man, did I ever fall behind on this one! :eek:

But I have finally finished it all, and I must agree with everyone else. This thing has Epic written all over it. Especially the last post and epilogue. Few authors can be so all-encompassing in their fics the way you are.

Well, while I'd like to talk about all the little details I liked and read today, there's just too many.

Though I must say this. The universe where Jar-Jar rules with the assistance of a good Anakin must be a pretty crazy place indeed. Come to think of it, it almost seems like the antithesis to the old trilogy in some respects. Instead of the Emperor ruling with Vader at his side, you have Jar-Jar.

Might not be such a bad place to live after all. ;)

Congrats on wrapping this all up. Can't wait to see when the next one <about Palpatine right?> comes out.

Though do I sense a sequel dealing with the fate of Jacen somewhere in the future? ?[face_plain]

BTW-Ditto what you said about Guy Gavriel Kay earlier. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.