main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Dark Mirror (AU, Luke, Mara, Jacen, Han, Leia, Jaina, Pellaeon, Thrawn, others, COMPLETE)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Gandalf the Grey, Nov 1, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dark_Soldier

Dark_Soldier Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 17, 2000
    Wow!!!!
    I'm really going to miss this story...
    That was awesome!!!
    It's the best fic I ever read (It's also better than many book I've read...)!

You're truly gifted Gandolf!!
    You can be certain that I'll read your short stories. Keep writting! Please don't waste such a talent.

2. Marie_Jadewalker

Marie_Jadewalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2000
    What an ending! I shouldn't be surprised, but you definitely finished just as strong--or maybe even stronger--than your writing has been all along.

I loved the poetic justice for Dark Mara and Luke.

I really loved the "mirror" where JarJar and Ani ruled--and it's cool that that's Luke's favorite.

I'm assuming Winter and Corran died in the Death Star, but I am still wondering what was up with it disappearing. Did Luke do that? Clearly, he must have been the one to save Danni and co.

Leaving Jacen's fate unknown is delightfully maddening. :-D I'd love to know, but it's probably cooler this way. (At least until you decide to do a sequel!)

Good luck with the new Palpy story, and I've also really loved your "days in the life."

ARE you going to archive this? You really should. :)

~Marie

3. Lord_Ogli

Lord_Ogli Jedi Master star 4

Oct 5, 2001
    NNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't believe that it is all over.

When I started reading this I was immediatly hooked, I read every post and felt like i got to know some of you well and then got caught up.

Then i found myself contributing to posts and having to wait for the next post.

But now it is all over, I'm going to miss this story alot, I do hope that you arcive this Gandolf coz i want to read it over and over again.

However I just have to say a few things to you, Gandolf, I have nearly all of the Star Wars EU Books and Few compare to your story, only the likes of Zahn and the righters of the X-Wings so it would be a crime for you not to publish.

Thanks for these few months of thrilling action and fun.

Lord Ogli.

P.S. I love the "Day in the life of..." Series.

4. Jeditheskyisblue

Jeditheskyisblue Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 17, 2001
    I have been reading this story off and on for a while.I just have to say I loved the way it end.
    Great Story.
    I really loved the last part about Love that was great.
    Jedi BLue :)

5. MariahJade2

MariahJade2 Former Fan Fiction Archive Editor star 5 VIP

Mar 18, 2001
    If you haven't read the ending, do so. UP.

6. technomage

technomage Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 24, 2000
    Everyone, go to the Omega Awards and vote for this story.

http://www.omega-awards.com

7. Lord_Ogli

Lord_Ogli Jedi Master star 4

Oct 5, 2001
    I'm on my way now, This story must win by far.

Lord Ogli.

8. Marie_Jadewalker

Marie_Jadewalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2000
    Since they appear to be still in the nominations phase, what category would you consider this? My best guess is AU novel. (This is way over 50 pages, single spaced, right Gandalf?) And AU because the events of the Dark galaxy were definitely AU and having them invade the Light galaxy is AU (and much preferable to, IMO) to the NJO Vong invasion.

Anyone disagree?

Oh, and UP! :D

9. technomage

Oct 24, 2000
    That's exactly where I voted.

10. Perator

Perator Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 3, 2000
    Gandolf - Any chance you have a complete version of this that you could either post here in one piece or e-mail to me? I would like to have a copy to reread. I'm sure a lot of other people would like the whole thing in one document too.

Thanks

Perator
    max@webpunch.net

11. Perator

Perator Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 3, 2000
    Don't let this thread die!

UP! UP! UP! :D

Perator

12. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    I said a while back that I'd post a few of the original story notes and plot points once I was done. Here are a few of them?

Originally, it was meant to be no longer than about a hundred pages, and lead directly into a sequel. The idea was that at the end of the fic, the Empire would have crushed the Republic, but that the Emperor and Empress would have had a child. Good Luke and Mara (unable to have children of their own) would have kidnapped their analogs child and raised her as their own, naming her Storm.

In a sequel taking place twenty years later, Storm Skywalker would have discovered that her parents weren?t really her parents, and the story would have led up to a confrontation between her and her birth parents. I played with this idea for a while, even considering time-travel. Storm would have traveled back into the Dark Universes timeline and averted the events that led to her parents becoming evil. Of course, the cancellation of those events would have removed her from existence herself.

In the beginning, I was planning on having leakage across the timeframes. Once the gate was opened, people would have started blipping back and forth on their own at random. There would have been a funny scene where a man suddenly found himself in Stormtrooper armor, while his Stormtrooper analog would find himself teaching a kindergarten class.

There was another Thrawn battle scene that got cut. It was planned out, and Han was going to come up with the solution to drive him off. Unfortunately, my plans for certain events changed to the point where this battle would have been impossible to implement.

The binary sunrise ending has been planned since I scrapped the Storm Skywalker idea. In ANH, Luke watches the binary sunset alone just before beginning his adventures. In Dark Mirror, he watches the binary sunrise with Mara at the end of his adventures.

Artoo Deetoo originally was going to be a main character. I got few up with beeping noises, and his role was severely cut down. I no longer like Artoo as much as I used to.

Jimmy died. Jacen saved the galaxy. You saw it here first. ;)

Originally, Pellaeon was going to be on the Chimaera when it crashed down into Thrawn?s flagship. I decided that I?d rather he be the new Emperor.

I was considering putting in a few scenes with the dead Mara in the afterlife. In the end, I decided to leave the Jedi afterlife mysterious rather than give Mara a few scenes with Anakin and Ben.

There was only supposed to be one set of droids. The original plan was to have a series of scenes where Artoo and Threepio sneak across the last portal before Luke destroys it. I made a timing mistake though, and this became impossible.

13. Padawan_Di-Lee

Padawan_Di-Lee Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 15, 2000
    Come on folks, you all said you loved this story. Now it's time to vote for it in the awards here at the JC. The link is:
    Fanfiction Awards
    and this story and its author don't have nearly enough votes. I'll be voting for it just as soon as I get the rest of my votes figured out. :)

Edit - I never can get those links to work the first time around. :(

14. Tellesto

Tellesto Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 7, 1999
    I've never read this one, and the second I get some time I'm going to plow through it.

15. technomage

Oct 24, 2000
    C'mon, up again.

One Last Time...

16. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Force Ghost star 7

Aug 23, 1999
    I salute you Gandolf, on this incredible story.

Rise.
    I said rise!
    Stand up you idiot!*thread rises.*

Could I have the link to Phoenix? I want to read it again.

17. GrandMoffTolkien

GrandMoffTolkien Jedi Youngling

Oct 22, 2001
    I'm very impressed. That was truly a unique and well-written story. Incredible.

18. princess-sari

princess-sari Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 20, 2000
    Obi-Zahn, here's the link to Phoenix. :)

19. Tych_sel

Tych_sel Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    I just found this story and am loving it Gandolf!! However, I've got to go to bed before I've finished!!! I can't wait to see what you come up with for Dark Journey (Not to be confused with the recently published NJO: Dark Journey.)

20. Tych_sel

Tych_sel Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    OK, I just got around to finally finishing this, and loved the way you ended it. Well, ended it without really ending it, leaving it open just enough for us to come up with our own ideas. Great job!

Force be with you,

Tych_sel

21. TheBalinakaBaroness

TheBalinakaBaroness Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 14, 2002
    OK, so I stumbled across this story last week (it's taken me a bit to read through the whole thing), and I'm feeling slightly overwhelmed. I spent most of the time reading this slack-jawed, perched on the edge of my seat, intermittently finding myself forgetting to breath. An Amazing work! This thing was chock-full of great characters, action sequences, suspense, humor, unexpected twists and turns, thoughtful quiet moments, philosophy, psychology, symbolism, you name it.

A truly epic and complex tapestry deftly woven together. (Stealing your metaphor!) I loved every minute of the journey.

Thanks for sharing this with us!
    ~Baroness

22. Fluke_Groundwalker

Fluke_Groundwalker Jedi Youngling star 5

Aug 11, 2001
    I've been skimming through this again, and I must say, this has to be one of the best FanFics ever written here at the JC.

Kudos, to you, Gandolf.

23. jedipati

jedipati Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 12, 2000
    One last up, so all the newbies can find this fic.

Hey, Gandolf, are you going to archive this anywhere?

24. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    jedipati: I don't think so. It's so full of mistakes, and so long, and as things are now, I don't have the time to write new fanfiction :( I'm afraid that it's going to stay where it is...

25. Booster-1986

Booster-1986 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 9, 2001
    I dunno :D ... mistakes or not, it IS one of the best fanfics I have ever read.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.