Beyond Dark Paths (Jacen, Tahiri, Anakin, Jaina, Jag - 5 years after "The Unifying Force"!)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Thrawn McEwok, Sep 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
  1. Master_Keralys Sometime Technical Aide and Erstwhile Lit Mod

Manager
    star 5
    Burn you, Thrawn. Update it. NOW. I swear I'll use this on you otherwise... *hefts blade, points it at Thrawn's eyes* We need more posts, but more importantly we need those old ones finished!

I refuse to comment further until you finish those blackened posts. [face_not_talking] Nice poem, but again, no comments until you update.

- Keralys
  2. YodaKenobi VIP

VIP
    star 6
    Hey, post on the last page has been updated! [face_dancing]

*Scampers off to read*
  3. Master_Keralys Sometime Technical Aide and Erstwhile Lit Mod

Manager
    star 5
    Fascinating update, Thrawn. Why do I get the feeling that somehow, things didn't go quite the way we perceived them to go with Tahiri - that TK missed something? And that the future of this massive work is going to involve some even sweeter confrontations?

I'm continually impressed by your descriptions. I'm not quite sure how you do it, but there is something in the way you write scenes that simply makes them come alive in my mind, and gives them a great deal of emotional depth as well. If I could put my finger on it, I certainly would; in my own writing I have the ability to do something along the same lines - sometimes, to some extent. Not like you do. Any thoughts?

Anyway, I look forward to seeing the finale, which should be headed our way soon, right? I mean, really!

- Keralys
  4. Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare

VIP
    star 6
    YK: Yes?

NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! :p

Nothing concrete, maybe next summer :p

There's a lot of concrete in most post-communist countries, I'm afraid... o_O

She's taking orders, I suppose, while Jacen seems to be in total control...

Hmm. Point, but then again, they're both Farmboy's students...

Ahh, well I certainly remember that (and thought it was excellent) but I don't remember Jan being there. I'll have to go back and read ;)

Maybe it was a post-facto edit?! [face_worried] :eek:

No, not at all really. Just very brutal.

She didn't shoot anyone, though...

I'm betting on Luke/Leia :p

Eww! :eek: :p

Just because I wear a dress doesn't mean I carry a purse [face_plain]

Handbag, then?

You think?

Don't you?

Okay, new blackened post:

Looks really good. I'm wondering if there wasn't some discussion between Anakin and Tahiri while they were dueling and she sort of faked getting thrown and hurt, that they're actually working together. Might be wishful thinking on my part, but the whispering makes me suspicious [face_thinking]

I have no real plans to elaborate on that. :p I might even change it to simply have Anakin get all ESB-Vader on her ronto... though thematically, I guess their exchange is the equivalent of the one in that duel anyway... [face_mischief]

Also can't believe you paralyzed what was left of Tenel Ka, but I have a feeling she's doomed anyway :eek:

It's quite easy to hotwire her, actually... :p ;)

Looking forward to the finished prodcut :D

Well, it's done now... oh, only three weeks? :eek: [face_laugh] I surprised myself! Been inside my head for far longer, I guess... [face_blush]

Tahi: Okay here we go.

And, they're off!! :D

I'd feel silly and superfluous simply quoting your analysis and smiling in reply, but I'll try to answer the questions and ambiguous points... and, of course - thank you!! :D :cool:

[face_blush] *flattered, humbled and happified by the quality of your replies* :D

Interesting the way Anakin sees Dubriliion as a pivottal moment where his past and present intertwined, and present subsumed past. Is that reading correct?

Glug. That should have been Dantooine...

*facepalm*

So his mask IS a mask as in the dramatic sense. As if he is playing a role.

Yes!!

The "cuz" sounds like the little boy pleading his innocence - a little wheedling? But also genuinely upset about it.

It's falling back into the speech-patterns of the younger Anakin from Onslaught; and also one "translator" of the character self-consciously borrowing something from another... :p [face_whistling]

I read this as both an apology for whining and also for being who he has become. And he's suggesting that there's a difference between the public construct of who he is and who he really is.

Very much so... I'm not sure how much I want to read into my own lines, though! :p [face_laugh]

An allusion to Centerpoint?

Not conscious, on either my part or the character's... though it does I suppose refer back to the previous stanza, yes...

So he's saying he can make cold miltary decisions?

Quite definately; I think he's also saying that in this, he's no different from Jacen, and he thinks that that undercuts Jacen, but not him...

Here the dark becomes a positive, warm thing rather than the negative darkness at the start of the poem. He's also seeing himself as light and dark intertwined - and I guess this leads on to the image of he and Tahiri as light and dark intwined? Or is he still talking about the two sides of himself? The nice thing is it can be all of those I guess.

And more; but yes... :cool:

The syntax in the lines "As intimate as us . . . we shared" makes the voice sound a bit breathless. I read this stanza as the climax - excuse the pun :D - but it seems that this is where his voice loses its mask.

Yes. And, although I didn't think consciously, that ties in in a way with the climax of the 'fic...

So when he says "for him to find us out' - is he saying that H
  5. Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare

VIP
    star 6
    [Yes!! More 'fic goes here!! :D :cool: Brunnhilde's Immolation really wasn't the right bit of Wagner to write a damp!Tahiri scene to, but that was what was on the radio, and it as helped me solve some of the structural problems with Gry's part of the plotline... :p]

The platoon moved through Skywalker City in what Gry Falconer supposed was good combat order for an urban environment, with two men ahead on point, and the three-man repeating-blaster team forming up the rearguard. Gry walked with the centre group, alongside the commander - the trooper with the black shoulderstrap and the row of blue and gold squares on his chest.

As they moved, the people they passed looked back at them in silence - somehow civilians, even when they wore uniform.

These people don't want a part of this war, Gry thought, watching a dark-eyed young mother with bags of messages in one hand, her child clasped against her chest with her other arm. Like so many of them, her eyes slid along the row of armoured men, and settled on the mismatched pair at the heart of the group, him and the commander - hostile, uncertain and afraid, surprised when she saw his eyes through the slits of his visor.

"It's okay," he said, reaching out tentatively, but she turned and hurried on.

Gry sighed.

"They don't like us," the commander observed. "Have you ever seen an assault platoon trying to hand out sweets to children?"

"Not really," Gry remarked, imagining these men with their armour and grace, crouched down to a boy's eye-level. He suspected they would have surprisingly genuine smiles, with their helmets off. "Doesn't it work?"

"Oh, it works. Kids love it. So do the boys. Join the Army, see the Galaxy, make little children smile. Doesn't stop them throwing coolant bombs at AT-ST patrols if some Intelligence wraith calls in a Bomber squadron to flatten a target in their town... or just because they believe it's the right thing to do. And it doesn't stop us returning fire, doing what we're trained to do."

"Is that what you're trained for?" Gry asked, murmuring.

"I reckon all soldiers are like that," he answered, then glanced at him. "You, though. You make me wonder."

I'm not a soldier, Gry thought, but out loud, he just shrugged. "It's what I'm here for?"

The commander laughed in reply - a short laugh; compact, combat-ready, but real.

"Jedi Horn said you weren't supposed to have a personality," Gry remarked. "What did he mean by that?"

"We have something of a reputation, sir," he answered, treading carefully, as though he might break something if he placed his words wrong. "You don't have the faintest idea, do you?"

"I think I can grasp the general principles," Gry sighed. "Maybe not. Tah... Jedi Veila. Tahiri, was very useful in keeping me right, though."

"I'm sure Commander Veila is all right," the commander said, but perhaps that was just what he thought he was meant to say. "She's as tough as my boys, that one."

Gry nodded, frowned in thought, and wondered where she was.

"I hope so," he whispered. "I hope so....."

Tahiri Veila was holding on by the fingertips of one hand.

Literally.

She remembered Anakin, and she remembered falling, plunging through the rain with the tangled elegance of a crippled starship coming down from orbit.

The projecting sensor boom had been her last hope. Somehow, she had fallen right, and somehow, she had caught it, clenched the claw of her artificial right hand tight shut around the spar. From that grapnel, she hung, whipped and buffeted by the hurricane winds, her body pelted by sleet and hail.

She screamed at the night, and the wind howled back in answer.

"This is not good!" she roared.

Below her thrashing, flailing feet, the rain disappeared down into a vortex of utter darkness, swallowed up in a spiraling tumult of shadows. Then she blinked, and for a moment, she saw the sheer wall of Skywalker City's side, stretching away to the vanishing point below her; beyound infinity, she saw the spume-cloud of the city's massive bow-wa
  6. TahiriSoloFan Jedi Master

star 4
    Watching Anakin & Tahiri fight through TK's no longer completely human eyes was just chilling! shivers Gives you a nasty idea of what Jacen is looking to do to the galaxy.
    I was feeling as though Tahiri going over the edge was a bit abrupt.. I gotta admit I want to know what they said to each other! [face_not_talking] Maybe you'll give that to us later. [face_batting]
    Anakin's focus was impressive and the Nogri back-up was too cool! :cool:
    Very nicely done! =D=

Edit : Well I must have missed the post in passing so I'll just edit my response to include the latest.

Now we know where Gry is, but where the heck are all the Horns? :confused:

And I don't feel quite so abrupt about Tahiri dropping of the edge of the "world" 8-} ... she always has been a fighter so that kind of tenacity suits her. Hanging on by her fingertips indeed! [face_beatup] :cool:

Pain. She was going to get through this. Gry, Anakin, and Jacen were all up there.

Now that's an interesting comment... just exactly when did Gry gain equal status with Anakin & Jacen in her thoughts? o_O
    Watch out Solo boys... you've got some competition from someone who knows how to play nice & treat the lady with kindness instead of yanking her around like a toy in your rivalry! :p

Just who is Tahiri calling her "husband" these days? [face_hypnotized]
  7. Master_Keralys Sometime Technical Aide and Erstwhile Lit Mod

Manager
    star 5
    Excellent! Another post! I'm still a bit confused as to what happened with Val and Jizz and Mirax... did you ever update that section? I'll have to go back and see if you've updated it or what; at the moment I'm confused as all get out by what's going on with Gry, though I look forward to more.

As for Tahiri, there's really only one question.

Who does she mean when she thinks Ha'Ur?

Side note: there's a formatting error in that thought progression.

I anxiously await more fic!

And in the meantime I'm going to see if you updated that stuff on Gry that I missed.

Update: Okay, well, went back and looked at that blacked out section, which you've clearly updated a little under the black since last time I looked. It's obviously not done yet, but it does make more sense now. I think I like where things are going, though I wish things with Mirax and Val and Jizz was a bit more clear, of course. I look forward to when you update that section finally.

And I meant to say before - I really like the post at the top of that page, the stuff with Guardian of the Stars and the fight going on there. Also really anticipating seeing what happens with Jag and Jaina. Keep it up!

- Keralys
  8. YodaKenobi VIP

VIP
    star 6
    Two parts of the same whole, what should have been a duel to the death served instead as a statement of their essential togetherness, an act of love.

I'm wondering if that's really what it was or just the impression from Tenel Ka's destroyed mind...

In the wider sphere of awareness that came through the combat meld, Tenel Ka saw the Commander's flailing form tumble away past the edge of the landing pad and drop from sight - down into the whirling maelstrom of ice-sharp rain, into the void that fell away forever to the storm-chopped surface of the sea.

That did not just happen! :eek:

But with Commander Veila and Sergeant Sannah both gone,

Was that Sannah who got punched?! :eek:

Except for the soft morning drizzle, it looked exactly like it did in the holoflickers - a ring of neat grass and polite, straight-trunked trees, with an open-air theatre in the middle, a sunken odeon of smooth grey stone, with tiers of seating circling the marble target of the stage; a pedestrian roadway round the outside, and the tall facades of the four great Ministry buildings fronting onto it.

Fantastic descriptions :)

replies:

NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

If you say so :p

There's a lot of concrete in most post-communist countries, I'm afraid...

Hoo-ray!

Hmm. Point, but then again, they're both Farmboy's students...

Meaning it's his fault? :p

Maybe it was a post-facto edit?!

That seems possible...

Eww!

Sure, sure. You know you'd write it if it weren't forbidden :p

Handbag, then?

[face_not_talking] I prefer "man bag"... wait, that sounds worse!

I have no real plans to elaborate on that. I might even change it to simply have Anakin get all ESB-Vader on her ronto... though thematically, I guess their exchange is the equivalent of the one in that duel anyway...

You lost me...

It's quite easy to hotwire her, actually...

Good, they needed to replace Threepio anyway? may as well do so with TK.

Well, it's done now... oh, only three weeks? I surprised myself! Been inside my head for far longer, I guess...

I wish you'd finish the other two, I'm getting confused... more so than normal!

Whaddaya think ya are, some kind of Ewok?!

I had something to say that I thought would be funny here when I first saw that reply, but now I've forgotten it :p :oops:

new post:

Tahiri Veila was holding on by the fingertips of one hand.
    Literally.

*Releases loud sigh of relief*

I know Jacen has a button slide, Anakin had said, aged twelve. I know most people do. But Uncle Luke doesn't. It's 'cuz... it's just the way it should be, isn't it?

Is this Anakin talking or Ewok? ;)

Breathe through your nose, she told herself, gritting her teeth. Breathe through your nose. And hang on, ha'Ur]. I'm coming.
    Ha'Ur? she wondered, slipping back from Tusken into Basic, her fingers slipping a little on the spar. Husband?
    The rain pattered steel-cool questions on her aching shoulders. Her fingers tightened, gripped.
    Yeah. Ha'Ur. That's right.

She's going to help Jacen?! :eek:

"Help me take her mask off."

Heh :D

Commander Fett?

Fett o_O

"Come on, you two," the commander said, shaking his head. "Val Horn and his psychopaths are coming. I don't want to be here when they arrive. There are more important Jedi to kill."

*gulps*

Amazing posts, Thrawn :D So well written and exciting, the anticipation of the climax to all this is killing me. I can't wait to see Anakin and Jacen face off and I have no idea what side Tahiri will chose. Glad Gry picked up Tenel Ka, I was worried about her even if there isn't much left that's actually her...

Will also be interesting to see just exactly what's going on with Valin and Jysella. Hard to tell with the unfinished post.

Anyway, I'm impressed yet again. Keep em' coming :D :)
  9. Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare

VIP
    star 6
    TSF: Watching Anakin & Tahiri fight through TK's no longer completely human eyes was just chilling! shivers Gives you a nasty idea of what Jacen is looking to do to the galaxy.

Funny, I was trying to show how TK is still ultimately human, even with her senses, memories and attitudes overriden by sensors, databanks and programming... but if you saw it from the other end, that's even better....

I was feeling as though Tahiri going over the edge was a bit abrupt.. I gotta admit I want to know what they said to each other! [face_not_talking] Maybe you'll give that to us later. [face_batting]

I'll see what I can do here. There's a plot-point to deal with, definately; but as I think I said already, I'm not sure if they, or I, really have words that communicate, beyond the actual act of speaking, and the rhythm and tone of their dialogue...

Anakin's focus was impressive and the Nogri back-up was too cool! :cool:
    Very nicely done! =D=

:D Thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed it. Akh'lat and Kovrekhar are sneaky wee murderers, and all four of the team have a great fondness for clever, high-tech ways of making the other side's military things blow up and fall over...

Edit : Well I must have missed the post in passing so I'll just edit my response to include the latest.

Now we know where Gry is, but where the heck are all the Horns? :confused:

In pursuit? That bit may change, actually. The resolution to Gry's plotline has been what's been holding me up for the past year or so, and it took me massively by surprise when it presented itself during the writing of that post; and I can offer no guarantee that I won't revise bits of the rest of what I've written for Gry's Denon scenes... though nothing that majorly affects the plot, I hope!!

And I don't feel quite so abrupt about Tahiri dropping of the edge of the "world" 8-} ... she always has been a fighter so that kind of tenacity suits her. Hanging on by her fingertips indeed! [face_beatup] :cool:

That's good. Like I said, or meant to, the duel may get worked over in revision. Right now, my priority is to finish the 'fic first, and fix details later. What you need to know is in the scene now, and I can edit things like whether Anakin batters Tahiri back to the edge and physically throws her into oblivion, or whether he takes out a few more SpecFor in more visceral ways...

Now that's an interesting comment... just exactly when did Gry gain equal status with Anakin & Jacen in her thoughts? o_O

Hmm. Who said they were equal, rather than balanced? :p I think it's more that she recognizes them as connected to her... Gry is pretty much the only person except Jacen who she's spent that sort of continuous extended time close to since Zonama Sekot...

Watch out Solo boys... you've got some competition from someone who knows how to play nice & treat the lady with kindness instead of yanking her around like a toy in your rivalry! :p

Gry is just being careful around her. He's trying hard, being responsible; I think he worries what would happen if they became more fluent in each other's language... [face_frustrated]

Just who is Tahiri calling her "husband" these days? [face_hypnotized]]

Well, she was married to Jacen until that morning...? [face_thinking]

Sometimes, misdirection is just misdirection... :p [face_mischief]

Keralys: Excellent! Another post! I'm still a bit confused as to what happened with Val and Jizz and Mirax... did you ever update that section? I'll have to go back and see if you've updated it or what; at the moment I'm confused as all get out by what's going on with Gry, though I look forward to more.

The Horns need updated, yes. I'll try and fix that right now, actually!! :cool:

As for Tahiri, there's really only one question.

Who does she mean when she thinks
    Ha'Ur?

Well... who has she married in the course of this 'fic? [face_thinking]

Seriously, it's simpler than it appears! [face_mischief]

Side note: there's a formatting error in that thought progression.

Mine or yours!? :p

I anxiously await more fic!
  10. Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare

VIP
    star 6
    [Another post goes here!!:eek: :eek: :D]

Captain Lynar Devis stood on the quarterdeck of the Star Destroyer Sword of the Jedi - feet planted apart, fists clasped together behind his back. All around him, the hull of his ship sang with stress and tension, and ahead, through the viewports, he could see the massive bulk of the Super Star Destroyer Guardian, her slanting armoured skirts and skyscraping superstructure flashing with fire as she sent another salvo of destruction screaming silently through space towards his ship.

He was taking his ship straight down the throat of the most powerful broadside ever carried by a capital warship.

And he was loving every blasted second of it.

Around the bridge, warning lights flashed and burned, and analysis schematics danced brightly on control screen - a ballet of light. In front of him, the crewers in the control pits were moving like the musicians in a jizz orchestra, eyes on the improvised score of the battle on their screens, hands moving in concert to adjust keypads, dials and trackers - virtuosos at the controls, their fine-tuned consoles were the instruments through which they gave life to the symphony of electronics, engineering and exotic energy that was the Sword of the Jedi.

Captain Devis turned as his ship's shields flared beneath the Guardian's awesome firepower, and walked calmly across the trembling deck to the gunnery station in the bridge wing. The tactics he had agreed on with the Black Knight were simple - ramming the Imperial battle line straight down the throat of the big ship's broadside, driving forward to point-blank range, in close where only a fraction of the monster ship's guns could bear on them at any one time.

Lynar Devis still reckoned that the Sword of the Jedi's shields would hold for the short while he needed to get personal with the Super Star Destroyer, and once he started on a close-range conversation, it hardly mattered. Then, it would be heavy guns against heavy guns, armour against armour, as he worked his way up to somewhere that he could do some real damage to the bigger ship.

Alongside them, the Advisor was keeping pace as best she could with her worn-out engines, lagging a little way behind on his ship's quarter. Lynar Devis didn't mind - the Black Knight's flagship didn't have the Sword's strengthened shields, didn't have reserves of Force-energy stored in massive power-capacitors alongside her main reactor.

But only Sword of the Jedi and Advisor had made it this far - the Warmaster's other two Star Destroyers were mangled wrecks, while his two suviving frigates and the heavily-modified Lannik Flail were locked in a vicious duel with with the Alliance gunships and the Guardian's one remaining cruiser escort, as they sheperded the troopships back in-system towards Balmorra.

This was a battle. It was what Lynar Devis had been born to do. He could worry about the losses once they'd won.

But he couldn't help feel a twinge when he thought about the starfighter pilots, whichever side they were on. They always bore the brunt, and in the starlit void around the duelling capital ships, only a few sparse scatters of glyphs were left on the displays now - gas-blue for the Empire, blood-red for the Alliance.

Lynar Devis thinned his lips, and looked back at the Guardian, waiting.

The Millennium Falcon spiralled through the battle, surrounded by a handful of surviving TIEs - two rally-flights of three and four, with Chak's plane in the lead, weaving back and forth ahead of the big ship's bows in a classic hunter-and-hound formation.

Ahead of them, two E-wings flung themselves into the attack - hopelessly outnumbered.

Both Alliance fighters died in a single rapid blast of fire, and Jag grimaced, the shook his head slowly - grateful that he'd not even had the time to add a pair of concussion missiles to the Clawcrafts' laser-fire. It wasn't just that the E-wing pilots had attacked against such appalling odds, or the
  11. Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare

VIP
    star 6
    [And this post is the no-hold-bards climax to the whole long rumble!! :D :D

Because I love you guys, you know! :cool: [:D] Thanks for sticking with it! :)]

At the top of the spiral staircase, Anakin Solo paused - leaning heavily aganst the wall, slumped like an injured man. Breath rasped like fire in his throat, and pain like hot coals glowed in the burnt-leather bellows of his lungs.

Breathe in.

Breathe out.

Through dark-masked eyes, he looked down at the throbbing blade of the lightsaber in his right hand. Through the tinted lenses of his mask, the cobalt-blue of the blade seemed acid-tinged - not quite right. He rolled his wrist, turned the blade slightly, and lifted his head, stared down the empty corridor ahead of him.

Breathe in.

Breathe out.

Even through leather and armour, the smooth stonework of the wall he was leaning against felt cool and calming, offering him the momentary illusion of feeling much better than he did.

He shook his head, trying to slough off his exhaustion. He had reached the final corridor, the one that wrapped around the inside wall of the High Council Chamber. It curved away to his left in front of him, towards the doors to the Chamber itself - and then on and round, to a matching staircase and turbolift alcove on the far side of the building.

There were no soldiers left - no Republican Guards, no SpecFor, no YVH-droids.

There was only the reassuring architecture of an empty corridor - walls of squared stone set in even, regular rows, a floor of smooth fat-and-lean marble, and a flat wooden ceiling; lit only by the natural light of the morning, slanting through the tall slit windows paced along the outer wall.

He liked this place, he decided - liked it even if he knew that the calm, claustral architecture was a veneer over a structure of stress-tensed duracrete and high-strength alloy girders, a gloss of age and solemnity on the new work of the Galactic Alliance. Perhaps the fact that he could feel the underlying structures so clearly in the Force was part of the reason he did like it so much. He appreciated the interplay of facade and structure, and he knew that sometimes, a mask was more honest than the face it shielded from the world.

He sighed, took a breath, and deactivated Uncle Luke's lightsaber. Fumbling a little with mechanical fingers, he clipped the weapon back to his belt, then pushed himself upright.

Well, he thought, swaying a little, like a drunk. Here I am.

His chest hurt. His body ached where he'd taken hits. Against his back and shoulders, his black vest was sticky with sweat.

He stepped forward into the shaft of light from the first window - and stopped.

Anakin Solo felt suddenly awkward - a paraplegic cripple, the stumps of his thighs balanced on mechanical legs, robot arms hung from truncated shoulders; his face closed behind a black mask that rammed every over-oxygenated breath down his throat, to gag his objections and fill his ravaged lungs with strength and fire.

His heart thumped like a lead hammer against the inside of his breastplate.

With a mechanical sigh, he lumbered forwards, down the corridor. One step at a time.

With every step, he felt a shade more human.

Finally, he was there. The bronze-coffered doors slid open as he reached them, and he looked through the small clasp of a security foyer, and into the High Council Chamber.

Finally, he breathed.

A dozen empty chairs around an open floor with the Phoenix of the Alliance inlaid over a shimmering map of the Galaxy. On the far side of the room, a curved embrace of tall, broad windows rising up behind the chairs, vast bright panes of rain-diffused light.

He stepped through into the Chamber, and looked up, like a tourist, into the soft, folded dusk of shadows gathered inside the dome.

He looked down again, and his gaze settled on the man who was waiting for him, sunk back comfortably in the raised chair of the High Council President; his brother.

"Jacen," he said, with a formal nod of greeting. Then his
  12. Master_Keralys Sometime Technical Aide and Erstwhile Lit Mod

Manager
    star 5
    Heck yeah! That's about all I can say.

I'll put in a more thorough review of the revised stuff with Gry as soon as I can - for now, I'll say, "Good!" and "Whuh?" - the latter because I still don't quite get Val and Jizz and Tez's actions there, what their motivations or desires were...

And the rest of this is going to positively rock, that's all I can possibly say.

- Keralys
  13. Tahi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Cool bananas - some more posts. Woohoo. :)

You're welcome for the analysis. It may sound odd, but I love getting my teeth into a good poem. It's better than eating chocolate truffles. LOL

I'm marking this so I can read the latest additions later. :)
  14. Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare

VIP
    star 6
    Keralys: Heck yeah! That's about all I can say.

Woo-hoo!! :D :D :p

I'll put in a more thorough review of the revised stuff with Gry as soon as I can - for now, I'll say, "Good!" and "Whuh?" - the latter because I still don't quite get Val and Jizz and Tez's actions there, what their motivations or desires were...

Dare I say, you're not meant to? [face_thinking]

And the rest of this is going to positively rock, that's all I can possibly say.

Guhh. Just rack the bar of reader expectations right back up, why don't you?!

Tahi: Cool bananas - some more posts. Woohoo. :)

And more replies. Yay!! :p

You're welcome for the analysis. It may sound odd, but I love getting my teeth into a good poem. It's better than eating chocolate truffles. LOL

Ewoks like truffles, so that's got to be good!! :cool:

[face_blush] Thank you! :D

I'm marking this so I can read the latest additions later. :)

I hope you enjoy them when you do... but you do realise that the tweaks are spread over the past three pages?! :eek: [face_laugh] :_| :p ;)

- The Imperial Ewok
  15. TahiriSoloFan Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm definitely looking forward to the completion of those last posts... very interesting!=D=

:p Sorry about the confusion over Tahiri's husband... from my POV,she's had so many second thoughts lately, from when she & Anakin had the discussion about her and Jacen needing to have a talk, and then Jacen telling her several times that he was her ex-husband with the stress on the "ex", I just wasn't sure any more. Maybe that's a revised section...or I've confused my fics? [face_tired] :oops:

16. Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare

VIP
    star 6
    TSF: I'm definitely looking forward to the completion of those last posts... very interesting! =D=

[face_blush] You're too kind!! :D

:p Sorry about the confusion over Tahiri's husband... from my POV,she's had so many second thoughts lately, from when she & Anakin had the discussion about her and Jacen needing to have a talk, and then Jacen telling her several times that he was her ex-husband with the stress on the "ex", I just wasn't sure any more. Maybe that's a revised section...or I've confused my fics? [face_tired] :oops:

No worries, no worries at all - I should explain; you're meant to be confused... :D

But really, she's only been through one binding marriage ceremony - her choice of phrase is simply to do with how marriage is meant to work for a Tusken...

*blinks* In more ways than I realised. :cool: [face_mischief]

I like it when subtext and imagery surprise me like that!! :D

- The Imperial Ewok
  17. SpeldoriontheBlended Jedi Master

star 4
    As I said: wow.

Without spending hours on a proper italicised response, that's all I can really say that covers it.
  18. Tahi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Page 42
    Yup - it sure is a galaxy gone mad. This bit fits in with your later description of the way the galaxy's fabric has changed even though it still looks the same from the outside. Like rotten fruit.

Ah - the Nevoota System. Where Balmorra is.

I like the way everyone is wondering if the other side has seen something they didn't. The ground is very shifty isn't it?

"Oh," he whispered back, calm and smooth and confident. "Don't tell me the odds."

"No?" Jana asked, lifting an elegant eyebrow at him. "Your Corellian side finally coming out?"

Oooh - liked that bit.

"You ever want to learn to multi-task?" she asked. "Just spend a couple of years as a Star Destroyer."
    LOL Or become a mother - but maybe being a star destroyer wouldn't be quite so tiring.

Chilling bit there with Jaina hunting out her old squadron. I'm enjoying the way you're writing Jaina and Jag's battle scenes - they?re quite romantically charged.

For a moment, she felt a sudden surge of irrational hatred for the Yuuzhan Vong - for everyone who'd taken away the happier, brighter Galaxy she remembered from her childhood.

But Jacen's presence - or perhaps just the memory of it - stilled her, like a strong hand on her shoulder.

She frowned, her green eyes skimming blankly across the articulated armour of the troopers' backs, seeing the way it echoed human musculature. The brushed surface of the metal raised a sudden, incongruous memory of the hairs on Anakin's bare back.

Oooh - that's lovely. There's such a lot in that bit: the way Jacen has a stultifying effect on her, her deep sense of loss, and the way her thoughts about Anakin are never far from the surface, waiting to be triggered.

She was a living jewel, and Sergeant Tainer and his men were the clasps of an ornate durasteel setting closed around her. Together, they were the components of something larger, smoothly integrated.
    Beautiful image.

In the next bit I liked the point about Tahiri's Tusken friends having implants - needing them actually to survive.

Boy - Jysela and Valin are scary. They're like a cross between the children of the damned and Hitler Youth.
    Great," Gry growled. "I'm locked in a duel to the death with a petulant teenager."
    LOL Good old Gry - light relief.

He hated the cold, analytical calm of his own gaze, its antiseptic, anaesthetic, iron numbness.
    Poor Gry - everyone is getting tainted by the Jedi.

"Care to explain?" he asked.

"You understand straightforward explanations?" she smiled.

"Of course not," he laughed back. "I was hoping that whatever you had to say would be more awkward and authentic. Go on?"

LOL Yes - yay for the state of confusion, and people KNOWING they're confused. As you say - balance.

"He wants to know where Tern is, Gry."
    Don't tell Jacen anything!!!!!!

Awww - the Tahiri/Gry conversation is kind of sad. But very poignant.

Page 43
    Spooky description of the spec forces's skeletal forms as melding into the urban landscape. Kind of reminded me of Predator.

There was no human humility there any more, just a quiet, machine-tooled control; but the Galaxy had changed, described the tiniest arc of a circle around its center, the skein of stars and planets shifting like the surface of the sea; gravity and energy, interwoven light and dark - the same, but different.
    Really liked that - the sense of time and space and the vastness of it all, and somehow you sneaked in the idea of how the pattern within the structure can change in the twinkling of an eye. :)

At times like this, his cyborging felt like a gift.
    Yet in a funny kind of way, he's always had that connection with machinery.

Barefoot, she knew how to fight.
    That's my girl. :)

He was just staring at her, at the cold iron shaft of the lightsaber held in her small hands, steel against tan. At the purple blade that didn't suit her in the slightest.

At the forged armour which had be
  19. Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare

VIP
    star 6
    [Okay... while I'd hesitate to apply the term "finished" to the two posts on page 42, the two posts (and a poem!) on page 43, or the first post on this page, they are all now written as continuous prose with no blacking-out. Which means that, after seven or eight posts in the first three months of the year, averaging one completed post a month in May, June and July, and, um, being utterly, utterly useless in August, September and October ( [face_blush]), I'm all caught up, and about to try to make a start on sorting everything out. This kinda reflects the structure of the frustrating year I've had... [face_frustrated]

"About to try to make a start", mind you... [face_blush]

Thanks to those of you who've stuck with this, though. It means a lot to me. [:D] :cool:]

Blended: As I said: wow.

Without spending hours on a proper italicised response, that's all I can really say that covers it.

[face_blush] Thanks, though! :cool: That says a lot! :D

Tahi: Yup - it sure is a galaxy gone mad. This bit fits in with your later description of the way the galaxy's fabric has changed even though it still looks the same from the outside. Like rotten fruit.

Or perhaps just like ripening fruit; perhaps Jacen has mistaken a chrysalis stage for an adult form? [face_thinking]

Ah - the Nevoota System. Where Balmorra is.

Yep. An old fanboy joke... :D

I like the way everyone is wondering if the other side has seen something they didn't. The ground is very shifty isn't it?

Yep. It's hard vacuum, after all. Zero-gee, and you can't get your breath, either...

You just have to hold onto something, and hope...

Oooh - liked that bit.

What, Jag's Corellian side? :p

*grins*

LOL Or become a mother - but maybe being a star destroyer wouldn't be quite so tiring.

:p Well, Jaina was broody... :p

Chilling bit there with Jaina hunting out her old squadron. I'm enjoying the way you're writing Jaina and Jag's battle scenes - they?re quite romantically charged.

Haven't they always been, at least on an unspoken level? :) Like A/T, J/J seemed to write themselves at times... but I guess the planners at the Ranch got scared by that. They have become the Empire, haven't they? [face_thinking]

Oooh - that's lovely. There's such a lot in that bit: the way Jacen has a stultifying effect on her, her deep sense of loss, and the way her thoughts about Anakin are never far from the surface, waiting to be triggered.

Triggered? :D Heh. :cool:

Beautiful image.

[face_blush] Thanks! :D

In the next bit I liked the point about Tahiri's Tusken friends having implants - needing them actually to survive.

It was just a thought that came to mind; but i's all to do with POV, I think... Anakin's Force-philosophy, applied to cybernetics... ;)

Boy - Jysela and Valin are scary. They're like a cross between the children of the damned and Hitler Youth.

I think it's the inevitable result of characters going through the Jacen/NJO trajectory... Gry is starting to feel it, too...

LOL Good old Gry - light relief.

Well, he needs to be good for something! :p [face_laugh]

Poor Gry - everyone is getting tainted by the Jedi.

Yeah, yeah - see above.... [face_frustrated]

LOL Yes - yay for the state of confusion, and people KNOWING they're confused. As you say - balance.

*balances, wobbles, grins*

Don't tell Jacen anything!!!!!!

Don't worry - RX is the brains of that particular partnership! :p

Awww - the Tahiri/Gry conversation is kind of sad. But very poignant.

I think they have more in common than either of them would expect... at the least, a general sense of frowing when faced with the Galaxy, or Jacen's vision thereof...

Spooky description of the spec forces's skeletal forms as melding into the urban landscape. Kind of reminded me of Predator.

May have been at the back of my mind. That sort
  20. YodaKenobi VIP

VIP
    star 6
    Whatever they had once been, the SpecFor troopers were essentially techno-organic automata now. The clean life-energies of the human beings they'd once been were little more than pure power for mechanical servomotors and Yuuzhan Vong muscle-packs, and the hearts that pumped in their chests had been built on a Neuro-Saav production line. The remains of their human bodies were just biological batteries slotted inside their metal frames, their minds had been reprogrammed as standardized neuroprocessors.

*Shivers* Jacen is really creepy [face_worried]

"Plan?" Val interrupted, and she turned slowly round to look at him. "Her plan?"

Tahiri's? :D

A blade of cold, quiet metal had slid out of his toso, about half way between his belt and his throat - straight through the lapels of his robes. The shield-shaped curves of the sword-point gleamed brightly, pressed to angel-sharp edges beteween broad faces with the buttery, watery sheen of polished steel.

Yeah, I don't like Gry anymore [face_not_talking] [face_plain]

"Feel a little better now," she said, lowering back down, quirking a smile. "I'll explain later."
    "Something about Anakin?" He was grinning behind the mask, an indulgent friend.
    "Something like that," she agreed. "Like I said."

o_O

"Go for the repulsors, if we can. Sink this monster. But that's just diversionary. I take a few squads and punch up to the High Council building. We meet her there.

Mara [face_mischief]

Incredible fight scene between Jysella/Gry/Valin/Tahiri! That was great :D I can't believe Gry beat the Horn kids though [face_not_talking] The action was well written and the descriptions were superb as always :)

He'd used the helmet to club most of the Tatooine garrison to death, though.

Yeah, I remember that [face_mischief]

he tried to find again that clarity he'd found in that moment of unexpected insight on Yavin 4, almost ten years earlier. He tried to reconstruct the pattern of thoughts and feelings.

Interesting [face_thinking]

The distant clash of blades seemed totally soundless, and even the wind's song came only in faint snatches. The hiss of rain on metal and the steady gurgle of water sluicing away from nearby gutters damped out all other noise.

Great descriptions!

As they wrestled close, Tahiri whispered something, low - too low even for SpecFor audio pickups to catch, or perhaps in a language that wasn't in Tenel Ka's core-drive memory.
    In answer, Anakin shifted, snarled, and pushed his blade up from under hers.

Still wondering what it is she said... and why you chose to write the fight from Tene Ka's POV... that makes me think there were definitely important things going on between Anakin and Tahiri you didn't want us to know about.

Except for the soft morning drizzle, it looked exactly like it did in the holoflickers - a ring of neat grass and polite, straight-trunked trees, with an open-air theatre in the middle, a sunken odeon of smooth grey stone, with tiers of seating circling the marble target of the stage; a pedestrian roadway round the outside, and the tall facades of the four great Ministry buildings fronting onto it.

Again, amazing writing, Thrawn :D

He palmed his lightsaber into his left hand, then cut across the plaza, and walked into the High Council building.

Here we go... [face_mischief]

"Just so long as I have some uses, still," he murmured. "I came here to marry you, you know."
    "I know," she answered. "Thank you, Jag."

[face_laugh] :_| [face_laugh]

If not, the 501st would just have to improvise.

:D

"Are you another of Solo's whores?" he asked,

:eek:

"I asked you a question, you Imperial slut."

:eek: :mad: I never liked Kenth Hamner

Fire ignited in her mind, and the world went away.

[image=http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y165/YodaKenobi/untitled8qq.gif]

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! :_|

Why'd she have to die? *wipes tear*

"Marry me," he said. Brisk, matter-of
  21. Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare

VIP
    star 6
    [Well... *deep breath*... I gave up trying to tweak the draft of the second-last post of the final chapter... and wrote the final post instead!! [face_blush] :D [face_dancing] :cool:

It's still in draft, and it keeps stumbling from tense to tense, but it's there if you want to take a peek!! [face_blush]

It's not quite finished yet... but - *whewh!* - it's reached the climax, and I hope you enjoy it!! :D :cool:

[:D] Thank you all!! [:D]]

YK: *Shivers* Jacen is really creepy [face_worried]

Jacen just authorized that. The guys who did that were all just part of the military-industrial aparatus...

Tahiri's? :D

Who else's might it be? :p

Yeah, I don't like Gry anymore [face_not_talking] [face_plain]

Sorry. I definately need to work in some more on Jizz and Val...

Mara [face_mischief]

Like I just said, who else could it be? :p

Incredible fight scene between Jysella/Gry/Valin/Tahiri! That was great :D I can't believe Gry beat the Horn kids though [face_not_talking] The action was well written and the descriptions were superb as always :)

Thanks. Gry had the advantage of not caring what they were fighting about, except to end it. :p

Yeah, I remember that [face_mischief]

So does he!!

Should we be suspicious?!

Interesting [face_thinking]

How so? :p

Great descriptions!

[face_blush] Thanks! :cool:

Still wondering what it is she said... and why you chose to write the fight from Tene Ka's POV... that makes me think there were definitely important things going on between Anakin and Tahiri you didn't want us to know about.

No, I just wanted to hook in Tenel Ka's POV...

Again, amazing writing, Thrawn :D

[face_blush] Thanks again! :D

You write great 'fic, too, though... I suspect I've not plugged the simply awesome The Age of Heroes in this thread yet... :D :cool:

Here we go... [face_mischief]

Yep - finally!

I think it was about this time in 2002 that I planned out the Jacen/Anakin duel... grief, three years!! :eek:

(There were a lot of emoticons in the next little bit! :p ;) [face_laugh] :D [face_dancing])

:eek: :mad: I never liked Kenth Hamner

No? o_O

"[image=http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y165/YodaKenobi/untitled8qq.gif]"

:D

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! :_|

Why'd she have to die? *wipes tear*

She was a warrior of the Hand, in battle against hopeless odds?

Seems like the perfect time for that [face_thinking]

Yeah? :p

Aww [face_love]

Without irony!? :eek: Or are you just trying to keep in the good-books of Red and T'Keira?! [face_thinking] o_O :p

Absolutely perfect, Ewok :D

[face_blush] Thank you. I try... :cool:

Finally read all the completed posts and they are excellent :) So well structured, beautifully written, thoughtful, and very, very entertaining. I can't wait to find out what's going on with Anakin and Tahiri and the final showdown between Anakin and Jacen, though I think someone else may be involved in that [face_whistling] Mara is definitely being mentioned in places and that is her in the new teaser scene ;)

Gah!! Is it that obvious! [face_frustrated] :p

Incredible posts. I know the climax is going to be amazing :D

Thanks - I hope it lived up to your expectations!!

So it wasn't Sannah? :p

*Shrugs*? :p

Sure, why not :p

*zap!*

Are you calling Luke a "dork" or me one?

Him, you dork! :p

I knew it! [face_mischief]

I plead insanity!!

That's disturbing...

Yeah... [face_worried]

I see ;)

Really? :p

Ahh, I see [face_mischief]

Really!! :eek:

I don't really think she was :p

Technically. She'd have killed him if she could have...

Not the way it turned out :p

Not quite, no... [face_blush]

Good to hear, and again, you did a great job :D

:cool: [face_blush] Thank you!! :D [face_dancing]

- The Imperial Ewok
  22. Master_Keralys Sometime Technical Aide and Erstwhile Lit Mod

Manager
    star 5
    Okay, you remember that "WOW" I gave earlier?

You just blew me away with the rest of it.

I particularly like the touch with Mara being Empress of the Hand. And pretty much that whole blasted chapter. Now I can't wait to see what the finish is.

I wish I could put into words my reaction. I can't. I wish I had time to write an indepth analysis of this. I can't. I wish I could do anything to express how much this last chapter just left me staggered... over and over and over again. How much it just made me ache for Anakin, how I cheered inside, how I winced and feared and hoped and joyed and sorrowed all at the same time.

I look forward to the conclusion.

Keep it up, Thrawn.

- Keralys
  23. Tahi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    [sings]Heaven, I'm in heaven . . .]
    That was simply perfect, Thrawn. I loved the idea of Mara as an Empress, and the fight scene was superb. Sublime in fact. :) I have to get off to bed as I have to get up early for work, but I will post a more articulate review over the weekend. I just want to say that you have made me a very happy camper. ;) Kapai. :)
  24. Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare

VIP
    star 6
    [ [face_dancing] :cool: Final post goes here!! :D [:D]]

Time passed. And after a little while, Jaina Solo and Jag Fel realised that they were still alive.

Blinking, they broke apart a little - still intertwined, adjusting the way their legs were wrapped around each other's middles, the way they clasped each other in their arms; watching a star-silk line of saliva spin loose between their lips, buoyed and weightless.

Her face lit only by starlight in the darkness, Jaina laughed, and smiled, and stuck her tongue out, licked her lips.

Jag grinned back at her, ghostly-bright.

They both glanced out of the cockpit viewports, at the dance of glittering stars that was spinning slowly aroud them - turning in slow, stately, circles, slightly off-kilter, slightly disorienting; celebrating their engagement. Jag felt conscious knowledge that it was the Falcon that was really turning, tumbling weightlessly away through space, didn't seem real.

He looked at Jaina, and she looked at him, and they both widened their eyes in surprise as they realised the connecton that had been forged between them.

"I can hear you," he whispered, blinking in wonderment. She just smiled in answer, gripping tighter, and shone with happiness. She didn't even have to say I know, because he knew, too.

"The Guardian is still out there," he said, before the silence stretched into awkwardness - answering her unspoken question before she'd even formed the words in her mind, rolling over a little, and glancing out to where the Super Star Destroyer loomed against the starry dark. It was only a few miles away now - and head-on against the tiny Falcon, the huge hull had something of the shape of a wide-winged raptor, lines slanting inwards from the tips of its broad wings to the beak of its prow.

Gone in a few moments, eclipsed by the edge of the canopy as the Falcon continued to roll away through space. He glanced back at Jaina.

"I don't know why they haven't fired," he shrugged.

He felt her start to form an answer in her mind - but she didn't say anything, pausing as a new thought struck her, and grinning. She turned away and rolled half out of his grip, tumbling around herself and leading him over to the portside viewports.

"What is it?" he asked; floating up with her, his voice oddly hushed.

"Jag," she breathed. "Look...."

He followed her gaze, and saw the Super Star Destroyer again, dropping below the horizon of the hull. He peered at it, frowning for a reason he didn't understand.

"That's not the Guardian," he said, as the Alliance command ship spun back into view - above the first ship, and closer to them.

Two Super Star Destroyers. There hadn't been two Super Star Destroyers in the same place since the Battle of Orinda, when he was just a few years old. There weren't supposed to have been two Super Star Destroyers in existence since the Lusankya was destroyed at Borleaias, almost a decade earlier.

Jag and Jaina hugged each other tight. This was the sort of sight you only saw once in your lifetime.

The Guardian was bearing down on the Millennium Falcon, unchallengeably powerful; but, inexplicably, her twin sister had come out of nowhere, and was moving to stop her.

For a moment, Jag stared in disbelief, watching as the second massive ship corkscrewed on her course, twisting up and in like a dagger towards the Guardian - slowly revealing the seal of the Empire set in bright-lit black and white on the broad flare of either wing.

"The Guardian is turning, Jag," Jaina whispered, and Jag looked back at the Alliance flagship, watching as it swung slowly away.

They just watched, arm in arm, heart to heart, sharing everything. Their voices breathed together.

Slowly, ever so slowly, the Guardian pulled away, turned broadside on - then slowed and stopped, and stilled.

"Aurek Company must have disabled her hyperdrive," Jaina grinned. "We won."

Gradually, lights flickered back alive on the consoles around them.
  25. Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare

VIP
    star 6
    [^^ :eek: [face_dancing] [face_dancing] [:D] ~*FIN!*~ [:D] [face_dancing] [face_dancing] :eek: ^^]

Keralys: Okay, you remember that "WOW" I gave earlier?

Kinda... ;)

You just blew me away with the rest of it.

[face_blush] :D Thanks! Woohoo!! That blows me away!! :cool:

I particularly like the touch with Mara being Empress of the Hand. And pretty much that whole blasted chapter. Now I can't wait to see what the finish is.

I wish I could put into words my reaction. I can't. I wish I had time to write an indepth analysis of this. I can't. I wish I could do anything to express how much this last chapter just left me staggered... over and over and over again. How much it just made me ache for Anakin, how I cheered inside, how I winced and feared and hoped and joyed and sorrowed all at the same time.

[face_blush] Yikes. *small voice* Thank you... just, thank you. That says everything... :cool:

[:D]

I look forward to the conclusion.

Well, now you can look upwards at it, too! :D

Keep it up, Thrawn.

Yub yub!! *bounces* :D :p [face_blush] [face_laugh]

Tahi: [sings]Heaven, I'm in heaven . . .]

</sings along>And my heart beats so that I can hardly speak....

That was simply perfect, Thrawn. I loved the idea of Mara as an Empress, and the fight scene was superb. Sublime in fact. :) I have to get off to bed as I have to get up early for work, but I will post a more articulate review over the weekend.

:D Looking forward to it! :cool:

I just want to say that you have made me a very happy camper. ;) Kapai. :)

Muchos gracias! :D

(I think - I'm sure you've told me what that means, but, um, I forgot... [face_blush])

[:D] Thank you, though! :cool:

- The Imperial Ewok
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.