main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Dark Paths (Jacen, Tahiri, Anakin, Jaina, Jag - 5 years after "The Unifying Force"!)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Thrawn McEwok, Sep 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SpeldoriontheBlended

SpeldoriontheBlended Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 12, 2002
    [...me saying wow again isn't really going to cut it, is it? :D :p [face_mischief] :D

Which means I'll need to fill this space with something. Hmm.

Well, other than me having the first last reply. :p

Anyway. A placeholder, then: wow.

;) ]

2. YodaKenobi

YodaKenobi Former TFN Books Staff star 6 VIP

May 27, 2003
    Then, with a worldess cry, he leapt to his feet - launching across the roop at a run, spinning into a high sai leap, and landing right in front of him, a lightsaber in either hand.
    Anakin reacted fast, Uncle Luke's blade snapping into his hands and stabbing into life. He blocked sharply, slewing his hands to the left to catch Jacen's cross-slash squarely across the centre of his blade.

Yes! [face_dancing] I've been looking forward to this [/dooku]

The descriptions in this post are amazing, this is just one of many:

In one place, high up on the rearing bows, the skin of water coalesced, and rose into a smooth-contoured tumescece of soft flesh - naked as a newborn in the liminal place between the wind-plucked sky and the cold, unyielding metal.

Beautiful =D=

He lifted his head to look at the woman standing behind the Noghri in the turbolift, and met familiar greet eyes, glinting with humour and experience.
    "You," he said, too stunned to make it sound like surprise or an accusation.
    "Me," she nodded, with a smile he knew already, and stepped out of the turbolift. "Hello again, Gry."

Mara [face_mischief]

"What you never worked out," Jacen heard him say. He saw him wiping blood from his split lip with the cuff of one glove, hefting the mask in his other hand. "Was that I never needed this thing at all."
    Jacen Solo never even saw the backhand coming.

w00t! [face_dancing] This has to be one of my favorite moments in the fic :D

"You know, if we spend the night together..."
    "We'd be married," she finishes for him. Her grasp tightens to balance his own attempt to let go, and a smile quirks on her face. "Perhaps I want that?"

:eek: All this time she's been married to Anakin *goes back to read all the scenes where Tahiri says or thinks "husband"*

"You already died on me once, 'Kin," she says. "This is until the end of time. No matter what."

Aww [face_love]

"Catch!" she says, and lobs the lightsaber towards her husband. "Anakin, catch!!"

Not enough grinning faces for this moment :D

"You are my whore, Tahiri," he snapped at her. "Mine!"

Yikes :eek:

Anakin saw a pair of black-booted feet, planted apart on the polished deck in a pistol-shooting stance. His gaze rolled up the length of her body, over the physical architecture of lean, taut muscles sheathed in a black combat catsuit, over the muzzle of the snub-nosed holdout blaster clenched in her thrust-forward hands.

She's here [face_dancing]

"Empress?" Gry asks, with a theatrical bow. "Ma'am, I'm sorry. I had no idea."
    "I know," she grins. "That's what I like about you, Falconer."

[face_laugh]

"Okay," she says, glancing at him, and nodding. "Let's get this place cleaned up, and let's get out of here. I need a bath."
    She turns again, with another glance for Anakin and Tahiri. They're kissing, silhouetted against the sunrise - she's on tip-toes, with his arms wrapped clumsily around her; he's leaning down gently to meet her lips, her arms looped confident and casual around his neck.
    For a moment, she feels a pang of jealousy, but then she shakes it off, and walks away, smiling wryly for them.
    She sees Gry move to join her, him and that ludicrous sword of his; but her thoughts linger with the young couple over by the broken windows.
    Anakin and Tahiri.
    As they were meant to be.

Just perfect =D=

Great post, McEwok :D An incredible climax to an incredible story. The duel was incredible, everything I would have expected and more. I had a feeling it would be Mara who actually killed Jacen and I'm glad I was right [face_dancing] She has been around the outer edges of this whole fic and I knew she'd show up :D

Having Tahiri and Anakin be married through all this is a twist worthy of the very first post, when we found out Anakin was alive and had become Darth Vader *in awe*

I don't have enough words to describe how much I enjoyed this post or fic as a whole. I'll read the next post soon and write a more f

3. TahiriSoloFan

TahiriSoloFan Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2003
    =D= Holy cow that was powerful! I was shocked and blindsided and I loved it!

Who would have thought there'd be a happy ending after all that angst and mental turmoil?!?!

=D=

[:D]

=D=

4. Elena

Elena Jedi Master star 3

Aug 16, 2003
    So. It's over.

I don't know what to say. On one hand, I've already started writing the New York Book Review article in my head, and the pages and pages of commentary. I guess I'll wait until the e-book comes out - I'd very much enjoy re-reading this, and in some ways, the experience would be better, more cohesive. Does the fact that I now want to write hundreds of pages of commentary and analysis worry me? Well, yes, but so does my obsession with fanfiction, and you don't see me doing anything about that...

Jacen, in the end, was the most multi-faceted character in the bunch. In some ways he was utterly repelling; in others, oddly compelling. I see now who he is, and it's unpleasant, but there's still a glimmer of pity. If I even do those character analysis, his would be the longest.

Gry: he is our window, in a way. He's the confused guy trying to do his best, and his thoughts mirror our own. That is, plot points aside, his basic purpose: to act as we would in that situation.

Anakin/Tahiri: In some ways, I think it's a cheap shot. It was well done, but a little more foreshadowing would have been nice. I was with Jacen on that one...

Jag/Jaina: Compared to the rest of the freaks in this story, they are refreshingly normal.

Wedge, Mara, Fett, Mirax, Tenel Ka: Your cool factor has gone up a few ratings because of this.

It's a happy ending, which I didn't expect. But it was good.

Elena

5. Jags_Scoundrel

Jags_Scoundrel Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2003
    Wow.

I mean . . .

I . . .

It's just . . .

*jaw drops open in speechless awe*

I really don't know what else to say; I don't think I can come up with the words to adequately describe just how incredible that ending was.

=D= =D= =D= =D= =D=

Thank you so much for this wonderful, wonderful story - it's been an amazing ride! [:D]:*[face_love]:D:)

6. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    [ [:D] :cool: Once again, a sincere, emphatic "THANK YOU!! :D" to all my readers [:D] [face_blush]]

Blended: [...me saying wow again isn't really going to cut it, is it? :D :p [face_mischief] :D

Which means I'll need to fill this space with something. Hmm.

Well, other than me having the first last reply. :p

Anyway. A placeholder, then: wow.

;)]

[face_laugh] :D Thank you! :cool:

*thwap!* :p

And you meant "the last first reply" for the 'fic, surely? o_O :p :cool:

YK: Yes! [face_dancing] I've been looking forward to this [/dooku]

Does that mean I cut off your arms now? :p

Beautiful =D=[/i

[face_blush] Thank you! :cool:

Mara [face_mischief]

*sigh* Yep. I just couldn't write her ambiguously enough to make her sound like Tahiri, could I? :p

... [face_mischief]

w00t! [face_dancing] This has to be one of my favorite moments in the fic :D

:D Thanks! :cool:

:eek: All this time she's been married to Anakin *goes back to read all the scenes where Tahiri says or thinks "husband"*

Heh. Aye... as Elena said further down, it's not exactly set up directly much (in contrast to, say, Mara's role steering Anakin, which became more prominent in what I think of as "part III"); do I need to defend that...?

Aww [face_love]

Yeah. :cool: :D

Not enough grinning faces for this moment :D

:eek: [face_thinking] :p [face_mischief] [face_laugh] ;)

Yikes :eek:

Posessive little jerk, isn't he? :p

She's here [face_dancing]

Yes, she is...

" [face_laugh]"

:p ;)

Just perfect =D=

[face_blush] Thank you! :cool:

Great post, McEwok :D An incredible climax to an incredible story. The duel was incredible, everything I would have expected and more. I had a feeling it would be Mara who actually killed Jacen and I'm glad I was right [face_dancing] She has been around the outer edges of this whole fic and I knew she'd show up :D

You caught that early on - good work yourself! :D

Having Tahiri and Anakin be married through all this is a twist worthy of the very first post, when we found out Anakin was alive and had become Darth Vader *in awe*

o_O I suppose it is circular like that, isn't it? [face_thinking] I like my unconscious mind!! [face_blush] :cool:

*pets furry Ewok inner-self affectionately*

I don't have enough words to describe how much I enjoyed this post or fic as a whole. I'll read the next post soon and write a more full reply to all the other stuff.

Amazing! Outstanding! A wonderful fic :)

[face_blush] Thank you!! :D

TSF: I was shocked and blindsided and I loved it!

Who would have thought there'd be a happy ending after all that angst and mental turmoil?!?!

:D I think it was always about realising that you find more moments of happiness if you stop pushing. Though Anakin had to push Jacen very hard for him to realise that in the final battle...

Elena: So. It's over.

Yep. Kinda. :p

I don't know what to say. On one hand, I've already started writing the New York Book Review article in my head, and the pages and pages of commentary. I guess I'll wait until the e-book comes out - I'd very much enjoy re-reading this, and in some ways, the experience would be better, more cohesive. Does the fact that I now want to write hundreds of pages of commentary and analysis worry me? Well, yes, but so does my obsession with fanfiction, and you don't see me doing anything about that...

Hmm? :eek: We can help! The Elena Appeal - bombard her with links to badfic!! [face_laugh]

Jacen, in the end, was the most multi-faceted character in the bunch. In some ways he was utterly repelling; in others, oddly compelling. I see now who he is, and it's unpleasant, but there's still a glimmer of pity. If I even do those character analysis, his would be the longest.

I suspect so; but then, he's constructed an entire Galaxy to protect his psychological illusions. That may not be deep, or "complicated", but it is complex, and extensive...

And I guess, as the guy who wrote this novel-length... thing, I can see something of why he might do that... [face_thinking] :eek: [face_laugh]

Gry: h

7. Master_Keralys

Master_Keralys VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 8, 2003
    I can't believe it's over.

I just can't.

Couldn't you have something of an extended denoument? PLEASE? :p

Seriously, I look forward to the reread in e-book format, as it will work better (especially when not spread out over a period of time well over a year...)

Now, a few things from a long time ago. LIke page 29 long time ago...
    So when's the sequel coming? [face_thinking] :D :p Seriously, you've left just enough loose threads hanging that I desperately want one.

And I think we all need to either bless or curse JoD for getting us all into this mess in the first place...
    I apparently got it from your subconscious, my dear Ewok, as I now realize that you hadn't mentioned anything of the sort at that point, yet it showed up. Odd... [face_thinking]

And, last but not least:
    Well, that is no longer true! If you're ever interested, and I hardly expect you would be, but if you are, I've got two fics I'm working on at this point, the former being the one I was working on a year and some odd time ago to inspire your response as such, Blue and Silver, and an alternate telling of the story of Revan - what might have been, had things been differently, here. As I said, I hardly expect you to read them, but that question caught my attention, so I thought I'd reply at long last - a year and two months later, of course! :p

Anyway, good job. I look forward to that e-book immensely!

- Keralys

8. Pelranius

Pelranius Jedi Master star 5

Apr 25, 2003
    Well done, McEwok, well done. Bravo, bravo!

I liked the way the final fight between Anakin and Jacen degenerating like that, though Mara's entrance seemed a bit too abrupt for my liking.

It's certainly ended very well. As Shakespeare said," All's well that ends well."

A sequel?! You don't say! :eek:

Again, very well done.

9. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Okay here we go on the first post on page 44. I've been reading slowly and letting the words flow through me. Lovely.

"Is that what you're trained for?" Gry asked, murmuring.

"I reckon all soldiers are like that," he answered, then glanced at him. "You, though. You make me wonder."

I'm not a soldier, Gry thought, but out loud, he just shrugged. "It's what I'm here for?"

The commander laughed in reply - a short laugh; compact, combat-ready, but real.

"Jedi Horn said you weren't supposed to have a personality," Gry remarked. "What did he mean by that?"

"We have something of a reputation, sir," he answered, treading carefully, as though he might break something if he placed his words wrong. "You don't have the faintest idea, do you?"

"I think I can grasp the general principles," Gry sighed. "Maybe not. Tah... Jedi Veila. Tahiri, was very useful in keeping me right, though."

"I'm sure Commander Veila is all right," the commander said, but perhaps that was just what he thought he was meant to say. "She's as tough as my boys, that one."

Gry nodded, frowned in thought, and wondered where she was.

"I hope so," he whispered. "I hope so....."

There's so much going in that bit. Gry's response for instance - phrased as a question: "It's what I'm here for?" It's a way of fielding the question, but it also works as a question to the reader. Do we see Gry there as a kind of simulacrum of "us" - a wannabe traveller from this galaxy to the GFFA, with our romantic history of knights and chivalry, and our particular affections for particular characters; behaving in a way we hope we might behave. "Playing a role" in other words in all meanings of the term. I like it because it adds to the whole sense of shifting points of view - destabilising in other words. But there again IMO the whole universe of the story is unstable - and I'm assuming that is because the natural order has been upturned by Anakin and Tahiri being separated. The story is their journey back together. Is that too radical a view?

And then I like the view of the soldiers and the way their soldier personae/behaviour/mannerisms are shown as just as human, "from a certain point of view", as non-soldiers. And I liked the commander's self-awareness.

I know Jacen has a button slide, Anakin had said, aged twelve. I know most people do. But Uncle Luke doesn't. It's 'cuz... it's just the way it should be, isn't it?
    And there we have it - sometimes the best thing is the one there is no rhyme or reason for.

That whole scene with Tahiri swinging from the pole with Anakin's saber in her mouth had some potent sexual undertones - or am I over-reading? ;)

I'm curious about the way she seems to surprise herself when she refers to Anakin as her husband. Is the fact she uses the Tusken word to show that being husband and wife is the natural state for them? (In the sense that that would be the natural progression from her Tusken childhood and their friendship and bonding as children.) It's as if she has finally woken up and rediscovered her whole self.

Gry watched, fascinated, as the man keyed a code in on the computer's pad, then another, almost experimentally. The machine answered with purred and chitters, followed by a sound behind the wall, and then another.
    Yep - that's like my reaction to the first SW movie. LOL

But all he could think of was home, and childhood.
    He's tired of all the bloodshed. Also a sign the story is drawing to an end. I also liked that chivalrous moment between the commander and Gry.

Poignant image of Gry as he stands in his medieval garb surveying the scene - an anachronism, an observer and yet also curiously connected to it all. And above all - he is the champion of humanism in a galaxy gone mad, as you show in the scene where he rescues Tenel Ka. Loved that bit.

Will do the rest later. :)

10. Thrawn McEwok

May 9, 2000
    [First, apologies: while the 'fic has reached its end, the blacked-out action-sequence bits on the previous page are still not finished... [face_blush]

Secondly, a question, or hopefully, several questions! :p As you'll no doubt know by now if you've been paying attention (though whether you think it's a good idea is another question! :p), I'm planning on releasing this 'fic as an e-book, complete with stuff like an author-interview at the back; now I'm hoping to build up the interview around this one from the A/T thread in WR, conducted expertly and wittily by YK... but if anyone else has any other questions, please, don't hesitate to ask!! [face_blush] :cool:]

Keralys: I can't believe it's over.

I just
    can't.

Couldn't you have something of an extended denoument? PLEASE? :p

No. Sorry. :p

Seriously, I look forward to the reread in e-book format, as it will work better (especially when not spread out over a period of time well over a year...)

Thanks! I'm worried that a lot of the description and vocabularly is going to seem repetitive when it's all bundled together; but, thanks nonetheless!! I'm looking to make a few revisions, and a few extra scenes just to ease over some of the gear-shifts...

Dark Paths: Special Edition?! :eek: :p [face_laugh]

*clears throat* [face_blush]

In particular, I think some sort of Gry/Tahiri/Val/Jizz getting-to-know-each-other scene on Tatooine might be useful...
    "I'm Jysella Horn," she said. "You can call me Jizz, though"
    "Jizz?" Gry asked, lifting his eyebrows.
    "It's a type of music."
    ;
    Now, a few things from a long time ago. LIke page 29 long time ago...

:D [face_laugh] Yikes...

So when's the sequel coming? [face_thinking] :D :p Seriously, you've left just enough loose threads hanging that I desperately want one.

*deep breath*

I don't know, in all honesty. This took about twice as long to write as I'd planned, mostly due to me not actually managing to write much at all for several months at a time... :p

Right now, I have plans and plots that are gradually coming together; but I don't want to write it and find that I have nothing to do/say about something/someone who should be in it... [face_thinking]

And I think we all need to either bless or curse JoD for getting us all into this mess in the first place...

Bless her! Bless her!

*drags _JoD_ into the thread and gives her a massive hug* [:D] [face_mischief] :D

I apparently got it from your subconscious, my dear Ewok, as I now realize that you hadn't mentioned anything of the sort at that point, yet it showed up. Odd... [face_thinking]

Yep! But good! I was intrigued, because you'd caught something that I'd tried to skirt around... the worst-kept secret in the 'fic? :p

Well, that is no longer true! If you're ever interested, and I hardly expect you would be, but if you are[/i],[/i]

I always am!! :D

I've got two fics I'm working on at this point, the former being the one I was working on a year and some odd time ago to inspire your response as such, Blue and Silver, and an alternate telling of the story of Revan - what might have been, had things been differently, here. As I said, I hardly expect you to read them, but that question caught my attention, so I thought I'd reply at long last - a year and two months later, of course! :p

*goes to look*

I'd tried to make a start on Blue and Silver the other day - I had it down to get along to, but this should speed me up. And I don't know I'd have spotted the Revan one, though - so double thanks! :cool:

Anyway, good job. I look forward to that e-book immensely!

Thank you! I'll let you all know when it develops! :D

Pelranius: Well done, McEwok, well done. Bra

11. jagsredlady

jagsredlady Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 7, 2002
    This was an absolutely astounding, outstanding fic. I don't have the words to properly convey how wonderful that was. [face_amazed] Truly your best, my friend. [:D]

More when I can gather my thoughts and give it the proper accolade it deserves. =D=

12. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    December 11
    Second post Page 44

I love that evocation of the battle as if it was a ballet - and the whole musical underscore. :)

They probably thought they were on the right side in this war.

Perhaps they were.

Again that whole theme of instability and changing perspectives.

Three companies of the 501st Stormtrooper Legion deployed through the vast hull of the Guardian like silent ghosts, using decades-old overrides and good, old-fashioned hotwiring, taking down the few Alliance patrols who stumbled onto them with brisk efficiency.

They were "Vader's Fist" - the legion that had served under Darth Vader during the days of the old Empire, and Major Evlyn Tabory was proud to lead them as the bodyguard of the new Lord Vader, Anakin Solo.

The more things change, the more they stay the same. ;)

Marvellous scene at the end of the section with Jag and Jaina finally together - weightless and facing death and yet totally disconnected from the reality of the situation. It's like - the truth is out there, but not in the galaxy as it is at present. The truth can be seen when you detach yourself from the galaxy.

Yes - Tahiri rejoices in the physical world doesn't she? So sexy and beautiful - and so complete. :)

The turbolift slid open, and Gry found himself looking at four small, grey aliens with very big black guns
    Loved that description.

Behind his cool gaze, his cocked eyebrow and half-smiling lip, Anakin Solo reckoned that he had just used Darth Vader's mask to describe a perfect summary of the Imperial philosophy.

Grandfather would be proud, he thought.

Ah - brilliant move.

As he shakes his head, Anakin can't resist an irreverent, disbelieving thought about Jasa and his warped idea of droit de seigneur....
    LOL Anakin hasn't lost his sense of humour I see.

"I'm going to have to hurt you a lot," he whispers, grimacing, and looking away. "There's... stuff not right. Stuff I have to fix. Stuff...."
    Now ain't that the truth!!! Everything's topsy turvy - or WAS.

"Tahiri," he mumbles.

"Marry me," she whispers, in a voice like a broken heart. It's all he can do to return her embrace, wrapping clumsy arms around her slim, pared frame. All he can do to fight down his nervousness and open him to her in the Force, let and try to heal reality.

And realise that he wants this, with all his heart.

"Tahiri, this isn't going to work."

"You just have to fix some stuff first."

"Yeah, like the whole Galaxy."

"You can do that."

And he can - with her help. And again - it's a question of which reality is the true reality isn't it - just like the mask.

He pauses, and blinks.

"Say Ur'su, a'uya, Dummy."

"Ur'su, a'uya, Tahiri," he agrees.

She smiles.

"Thank you."

They lean close, arrange their embraces around each other in the bed.

"'Til death?" he asked, lips hovering.

"You already died on me once, 'Kin," she says. "This is until the end of time. No matter what."

Her lips touch his, shushing any objection with the gentlest of kisses.[/I
    So that's what really happened in that scene from way back. Awwwww. Sweetness. :)

Damn - you actually made me feel sorry for Jacen. Great writing though.

"Empress?" Gry asks, with a theatrical bow. "Ma'am, I'm sorry. I had no idea."

"I know," she grins. "That's what I like about you, Falconer."

Hee hee - I had no idea either. But I guess it's innocence and lack of guile that the galaxy has lost.

They're leaning together, supporting each other's weight; and in the Force, she can feel them blurring together into a single being.
    The way it should be.

Gry Falconer is off to one side - looking a little out of place, as usual.
    Aww - dear old Gry. But he played his part.

"Uncle Wedge!?" Jag asked, leaning forward beside her. "I wasn't expecting you."

"That's the idea," his uncle grinned. "Hello, both of you. Hang on while we tractor the Falcon into your capture bay

13. the-Admiral

the-Admiral Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 12, 2003
    Second time i'm doing this marathon read.

And it's just as excellent as the first time ..

Kudos TMcE - Kudos

The Admiral.
    (yeah - it's been a while!)

14. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Reading that Nov 7th post again I was struck with the parallels between the first scene between Jacen and Anakin and the scene in ESB with Luke and Vader. I'm constantly amazed at the tactile nature of your imagery. It really is beautiful, and exciting.

And again - the sensual descriptions of Tahiri. Just fantastic. :)

Your writing is like a feast. ;)

15. Thrawn McEwok

May 9, 2000
    [Okay... at long last, the last of the black-up has come down on the November 7th post on page 44, so the 'fic is officially FINISHED!! :D

Um, kinda... [face_blush]

I'm going to take it away and edit it up for e-book publication. Anyone who's interested in beta'ing, or in taking part in some "back matter" discussion of SW and fanfic, let me know!! :)

In the meantime, though - thank you all for reading, thank you all for the feedback: thanks for making the thread, and the 'fic, what they've become!! [:D] [:D] [:D] :cool:]

Red: This was an absolutely astounding, outstanding fic.

[face_blush] Thanks! :cool:

Tahi: I love that evocation of the battle as if it was a ballet - and the whole musical underscore. :)

[face_dancing] *dances* ;)

I wish they had the lightsaber-duel emoticon here that they have on some boards...

Hang on...

[image=http://67.15.5.220/5187/157/emo/vaderluke.gif]

Does that work?

Again that whole theme of instability and changing perspectives.

Always! Isn't that what dance and music are about?

The more things change, the more they stay the same. ;)

As they say in Rome... :D

Marvellous scene at the end of the section with Jag and Jaina finally together - weightless and facing death and yet totally disconnected from the reality of the situation. It's like - the truth is out there, but not in the galaxy as it is at present. The truth can be seen when you detach yourself from the galaxy.

I think so, yes - but how do you get back. I'm not happy/satisfied with what happened with Jacen and Anakin in the NJO, so I guess a lot of the 'fic has been a response to a POV... an attempt to inflect rhythm, maybe - does that make sense...?

Yes - Tahiri rejoices in the physical world doesn't she? So sexy and beautiful - and so complete. :)

I'm not sure if the author can say anything here, especially as he didn't create the character in the first place... [face_blush] ;)

Loved that description.

:p :D

Ah - brilliant move.

:D Mara taught him well? I think it's at least partially innate, though...

LOL Anakin hasn't lost his sense of humour I see.

Nope... that, I suppose, is what seperates him from Jace... or maybe Jacen could never laugh...? :(

Now ain't that the truth!!! Everything's topsy turvy - or WAS.

Yep... but then, zero-gee ballet isn't bad... ;)

And he can - with her help. And again - it's a question of which reality is the true reality isn't it - just like the mask.

*nods in agreement*

Though of course, there's more complexity there - since Anakin's face has been surgically rebuilt, his "true" identity is very obviously composed of layers...

So that's what really happened in that scene from way back. Awwwww. Sweetness. :)

Like you just said, it's a question of what's the true reality... [face_blush] :cool: [face_mischief] :D

Damn - you actually made me feel sorry for Jacen. Great writing though.

:D Thanks! I think he deserves... well, I think he deserves more than "compassion" or "pity", actually. He needs a tickle... :p

Hee hee - I had no idea either. But I guess it's innocence and lack of guile that the galaxy has lost.

Lost, or just scared to admit still exists?

The way it should be.

*nods*

Aww - dear old Gry. But he played his part.

Aye, he did... he's not sure what it was, but I suppose he's against typecasting... :p

Woohoo - yay for Wedge. Like the Spanish Inquisition, I didn't expect it either. But - this IS the way the galaxy should be again. Now that Anakin and Tahiri are together again, things are behaving the way we expect.

:D Yes! I really should have had three Royal Guards burst in on someone in this 'fic... [face_mischief]

Freedom of the press! Yay.

[face_laugh] And a little anarchy?

Perfect - and so true.

:cool: *smiles in agreement* ;)

Am I allowed to do that in my own 'fic? [face_laugh]

Wow! This has been the most

16. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Yes, you're right - ballet and music are searches for balance and rhythm. :)

I'm not happy/satisfied with what happened with Jacen and Anakin in the NJO, so I guess a lot of the 'fic has been a response to a POV... an attempt to inflect rhythm, maybe - does that make sense...?
    Yes it makes perfect sense.

Hee hee - I think Jacen needs more than a tickle. Interesting comment you made about the fact he can't laugh. Young Jacen TOLD jokes - but did he laugh at them himself? Nobody else did anyway. ;)

Hee hee - three Royal Guards. YES! Nobody would expect that.

Your writing is like a feast.

I hope that doesn't mean you get indigestion from it!

[Burps fruitily and smacks lips.] ;)

Another think I forhot to mention was how much I liked the Tusken dialogue. Did you invent those words, or are they somewhere in the books? It's cool anyway.

Note to readers:
    The Winter (Summer if you're downunder) Fanfic Awards are in progress, so remember to get your nominations in for this AMAZING fic asap. :) Just go to the link at the top of the page for what to do.

17. Master_Keralys

Oct 8, 2003
    Well, this post should serve two purposes - sending this thing back up to the top, where it belongs ( ;) ) and also responding to Thrawn's last post.

Thrawn, I'd be happy to have any such back-materials discussions with you, and to beta the thing, too, though I must say that it'd probably take me 3 weeks to a month to do a halfway decent job on it. PM me if you want my help on it, by all means! I'd be glad to be of assistance, to be sure; in many ways you're part of the reason I'm still writing on a semi-regular basis - between you and Q_M. I wouldn't be otherwise. :)

- Keralys

18. Thrawn McEwok

May 9, 2000
    Tahi: Yes, you're right - ballet and music are searches for balance and rhythm. :)

[face_blush] I'd have missed expressing the "search" bit right, I think! :p

Hee hee - I think Jacen needs more than a tickle. Interesting comment you made about the fact he can't laugh. Young Jacen TOLD jokes - but did he laugh at them himself? Nobody else did anyway. ;)

:eek: [face_laugh] Harsh... but I think you caught something there... :D

Hee hee - three Royal Guards. YES! Nobody would expect that.

:cool: :D

*ponders the MagnaGuards in RotS* [face_thinking] :p

[Burps fruitily and smacks lips.] ;)

[face_laugh] [face_blush] [face_mischief] Hah!

Another think I forhot to mention was how much I liked the Tusken dialogue. Did you invent those words, or are they somewhere in the books? It's cool anyway.

No, the dialogue is mine - though I tried to immitate what we know from the books and comics - the only Tusken words we know are some personal names, and the affixes a' and k' meaning "son of" and (probably) "daughter of", which you'll see used (along with other similar ones) in the dialogue...

The Winter (Summer if you're downunder) Fanfic Awards are in progress, so remember to get your nominations in for this AMAZING fic asap. :) Just go to the link at the top of the page for what to do.

[face_blush] Shush!!! :p :D [face_blush]

Keralys: Well, this post should serve two purposes - sending this thing back up to the top, where it belongs ( ;)) and also responding to Thrawn's last post.

:cool: [face_blush] Thanks! :D

Thrawn, I'd be happy to have any such back-materials discussions with you, and to beta the thing, too, though I must say that it'd probably take me 3 weeks to a month to do a halfway decent job on it. PM me if you want my help on it, by all means! I'd be glad to be of assistance, to be sure; in many ways you're part of the reason I'm still writing on a semi-regular basis - between you and Q_M. I wouldn't be otherwise. :)

:eek: But... your stuff is great!! :cool:

I was hoping to get several people together for the back-matter discussion, and there are two ways we can handle this: either use a chat client of some sort, or else do a PM round-robin, in which we set an order round the "table", and pass the discussion around the from person to person, simulating a live chat (while allowing occasional interjections)... ;)

There's also the one-on-one interview, which I find is easiest to PM back and forth in a similar way; but I'm hoping to expand that around an interview YK did with me on A/T 'fic writing, and he obviously has first call on that...

- The Imperial Ewok

19. Master_Keralys

Oct 8, 2003
    Thrawn McEwok: :eek: But... your stuff is great!! :cool:

Thanks. [face_blush] :) The thought wasn't that I wouldn't be writing because I think I'm bad, but because I just wouldn't have had the motivation to post it on here, and I would be devoting my time to other things. I got inspired by the pair of you, though, to go ahead and post it on here, and hopefully find (as I have) some constructive criticism that is really helping me tighten things up a good bit. It's my goal to get a novel (not SW, of course) published sometime in my life, and for that novel to truly be good. So this is my drawing board, my practice easel as it were... [face_thinking] And I'm honored that you find my stuff to be great. Which reminds me - I've nearly finished Blue and Silver; I'll let you know when it's actually done so you can read it from start to finish. Of course, there are multiple prequel and sequel works being considered that I'll definitely be posting, but that story itself is nearly finished.

I was hoping to get several people together for the back-matter discussion, and there are two ways we can handle this: either use a chat client of some sort, or else do a PM round-robin, in which we set an order round the "table", and pass the discussion around the from person to person, simulating a live chat (while allowing occasional interjections)... ;)

That sounds good. I think a chat client might be the easiest, though I'd be more than willing to work with the other as well - using color code to specify who's talking, or some such. Whatever you like; I'm more than willing to help however I may. :)

- Keralys

20. TahiriSoloFan

TahiriSoloFan Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2003
    What's the plan with the e-book? How will that happen?

21. Master_Keralys

Oct 8, 2003
    Looks like he's going to be putting it in e-book format and then a few of us will be helping check it in various ways - ensuring back-materials continuity, and betaing it to make sure that it doesn't have any overall internal consistency errors, and all that kind of stuff. That's all I know at this point, and the poor fellow is neck deep in working on his Ph.D. thesis... I've a feeling he'll be slightly more absent, much to our dismay... :(

- Keralys

22. Thrawn McEwok

May 9, 2000
    [First things first... a HUGE "thank you!" to all of you who nommed this 'fic for the Winter awards... [face_blush] :p I mean, Winter only appears in one scene. :p

Thanks to you kind people ( :D [:D] [face_blush]!!) this 'fic is a contender for Best All-Around, Best Epic, and Best Villain (Jacen Solo).

Thanks also to those of you who nominated it for Best Canon and Best Romance; "Sword in Hand" was nominated for Best Poem, while Tahiri and Gry were nommed for Best Canon Interpretation, Female and Best Original Character, Male.

Thank you! :D :eek: [face_dancing]

Several of you have been nominated as well, of course, including Elena, Keralys, Scoundrel, Tahi and YodaKenobi...

But am I allowed to take a moment to plug JDH3's Comfort & Companionship, nominated for Best Vignette: if any 'fic deserves a win in the Winter Fanfic Awards, it's surely that one! :p :D [face_mischief] [face_laugh]]

Keralys: Thanks. [face_blush] :) The thought wasn't that I wouldn't be writing because I think I'm bad, but because I just wouldn't have had the motivation to post it on here, and I would be devoting my time to other things. I got inspired by the pair of you, though, to go ahead and post it on here, and hopefully find (as I have) some constructive criticism that is really helping me tighten things up a good bit. It's my goal to get a novel (not SW, of course) published sometime in my life, and for that novel to truly be good. So this is my drawing board, my practice easel as it were... [face_thinking] And I'm honored that you find my stuff to be great. Which reminds me - I've nearly finished Blue and Silver; I'll let you know when it's actually done so you can read it from start to finish. Of course, there are multiple prequel and sequel works being considered that I'll definitely be posting, but that story itself is nearly finished.

I know those feelings! I have to finish reading Blue & Silver, and reply to your latest update on Revan...

That sounds good. I think a chat client might be the easiest, though I'd be more than willing to work with the other as well - using color code to specify who's talking, or some such. Whatever you like; I'm more than willing to help however I may. :)

Thank you!

Um... anyone else? :p [face_laugh]

TSF: What's the plan with the e-book? How will that happen?

It'll be formatted as a PDF, then put on-line for download - a very similar format to the official Star Wars e-books like Vector Prime, Ylesia, and Fool's Bargain, if that means anything to you...

Keralys: Looks like he's going to be putting it in e-book format and then a few of us will be helping check it in various ways - ensuring back-materials continuity, and betaing it to make sure that it doesn't have any overall internal consistency errors, and all that kind of stuff.

Sorry - I should explain that "back matter" is the stuff in the back of a book after the end of the story itself... author interviews, chats, essays, teasers, that sort of thing... as ever, your thoughts on the actual story are very welcome (!), but I was hoping to include a multi-participant discussion on Star Wars and fanfic as the main element of the additional material, similar to the one in the e-book of Vector Prime...

You might (or might not!) be interested to know that, when put into the same page-format as the official hardcovers, Dark Paths runs to almost precisely 500 pages and a little over 150,000 words - the Epilogue ends on page 482, which is the 500th page if you count the title page, chapter headings and stuff, and the word-count of the actual text of the story seems to be 155,001 words...

Thank you all for being here! :D [:D]

- The Imperial Ewok

23. Master_Keralys

Oct 8, 2003
    I'm looking forward to both. :) And I think most if not all aspiring authors can commiserate with those feelings; they are very human, through and through.
    I'd about bet Elena would... that or I'm a stuffed Ewok... ;) :p
    Ah, well, then I was wrong. In any case I'd still be more than happy to help with all that jizz. :D And I'd be happy, as I've discussed before, to be part of that multi-participant discussion. :)

As for the length... fascinating. Seems about right to me; not quite a Star by Star in length, but darned close. :D

Good luck in the awards, McEwok, and thanks for the nod up there. :)

- Keralys

24. Maggy

Maggy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 2, 2004
    [face_dancing] 2000th post [face_dancing]

Wollknäuel:

I?m going to tackle the around 300 pages long ?fic ... again
    what irony, a year back (nearly on the day) I started to read it the first time
    I?m sure I?m able to finish it this time ;) [face_whistling]
    no promises though

Since it?s that long, I?ll start at the beginning and overthink what is said about the beginning already :)

without any further delay:

1st post:

that you wrote in the header, but you also said most of it is going to be "Beyond the Saga"... so it would be just logical to take it for "Beyond". Nice to be the first one [face_blush]
    [face_thinking] To read it as a flashback ... it still woiuld connect to Luke since he formed the ?new generation? of Jedi.

hope not to disappoint

think when it all began with the war they fighted for their freedom but in the end more for their lives
    and when this shall be a flashback for the Jedi Purge then they really fighted for their lives and the survival of the Jedi ( :confused: )

yeah, yeah it shall be read as flashback
    but it isn?t really one
    Vader is Anakin Solo ... blind loyalty is something trained ... commandos can have this abilities
    you are hinting toward what Vader did to the Noghri and Vader?s poising of their planet [face_thinking]
    Has now Anakin have done the same
    and yes I know, the fic is about to find it out

o_O is she seeing his survival as a betrayal? His accepting his vision becoming his grandfather and the newest fear in the galaxy?

but at some point it is not and so starts rebellions [face_whistling]

does he already know what she will be doing? That she will become the heart of the ship? Someone could see that as a thing between living and dying ... neither that nor the other

25. Maggy

Maggy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 2, 2004
    Post 9

There was still the best part of an hour before reville, and the cold wind whipped his unruly hair back into his face like an admonition.

the stiff and grim Chiss trained pilot has so long hair that it can be blown into his face?? :p
    I like [face_mischief]

Her lips were moving, he realised. She was mouthing words, words meant for him. And even though the infinite silence was as absolute and empty as the darkness itself, he knew exactly what she was saying.

is it just illusion or is his subconscious mind connected with Jaina? Have they still a kind of bond ... and the connection clicks together in desperate times
    does Jaina want to be freed of her selfconstructed prison?

Post 10

As he fell asleep, he realised that he was going to have the dream again. The dream he had dreamed more times than he could remember. The dream that had kept him awake even when he was dead.

it?s an interesting use of term ... even when he was dead
    either he is dead or he is awake ? both somehow doesn?t work I think
    or more when he was considered dead?
    Or does he consider a part of his life as ?being dead??

He paused, puzzled at that awkward, unsatisfactory little word. Dead. It didn't seem very useful, or very accurate, but he couldn't think of any better term.

ah ... [face_thinking] okay

Tahiri Veila stood with the sun in her hair, her lean body sheathed in bio-metalic armour, her face sculpted by scars. Slowly, she unhooked a living lightsaber from a spur at her hip, making it pulse alive in her hands - the blade bright and dark like a twilight sky, throbbing with power.

living lightsaber? How is it able to be living? A Vong technology? Like the living crystal in Anakins sabre?
    it sounds a bit of the dark vision he had of Tahiri
    but is it still Tahiri he has the vision of? Is it not Riina?

He still wasn't totally sure how he had found his way back - he didn't really remember that much about being dead - but when he returned, the dream had been seared onto his soul.

did he really found his way back? He has to hide beneath a mask and a full body armour ... is this finding his way back

Even then, he still hadn't understood. He had expected to find a Galaxy enslaved by the Yuuzhan Vong, with Tahiri transformed into one of them, her memory of who she was - her memory of him - destroyed. His only thought had been to somehow find a way to save her.

he found a way .. but perhaps not the best way [face_thinking]

Betrayed them all.

in turning into the somehow heartless person he is currently o_O

Not after what he had done to her.

he has found her with his own brother, someone he always argued, never really agreed with ... and the love of his life is together with him
    what has he done to them?
    what has he done to Tahiri?

He allowed the distinction between him and the Sword of the Jedi to blur, and the image in his mind grew clearer, sharper.

still think it?s weird that Jaina did that to herself

But if the Advisor lacked the unique strengths of the Sword of the Jedi, she could still probably match most other warships left in the war-ravaged Galaxy, and her appearance, coupled with the hungry eagerness of her crew for combat, conspired to give her a distinct air of strength and menace - proud, grim and powerful.

how many other ships have a young Jedi girl as engine??

"With the planetary shields raised," Devis concluded, "it will take several minutes until we can recieve a sublight response from Balmorra. The Lady Luck is on standby for launch."

how did he end up with Lando?s ship?

Post 11

Like how Jag announces to the house phalanx that he is leaving :D
    It?s also great that Wyn answers for him

Post 12

"Do not call me that...!" he snarled, but then the anger died, and his voice became a gasp of surprise as he saw her come flying out of the turbolift - almost running, wearing a sleeveless black dress tha

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.