main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Art Archive Dark Sapiens Fan Art **Updated 6/26/2006** The Glory of the Empire

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by DarkSapiens, Apr 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarkSapiens

DarkSapiens Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 2, 2005
    Hi you all!

Today I visited this board for the first time. I saw some of your art and thougt: "hm, I could post some of my drawings here". But then I continued seeing threads and... WOW. My drawings are nothing compared with yours, seriously.

But I think I will post some of them anyway...

Ok, here's one that I did some years ago. It's a scene in the Battle of Endor, my favourite part of Star Wars :)

[image=http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/7995/endororiginalcopia2oh.jpg]

When I made it I was already thinking about doing something with photoshop, and that was the result:

[image=http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/876/endorcopia8xv.jpg]

I wanted to add the laser and engine glow effects, but I didn't like the outcome, and I left it in that way...

And later, I began to use 3D programs. I have commenced to prepare what I hope will turn into an acceptable animation. I made some scenes with the ships that I have ready to use. Here's one of them:

[image=http://img427.imageshack.us/img427/2045/executor48tv.jpg]

Definitely I get better results using the computer... :p

I will post more drawings or 3D renders. Hope you like them! ;)

2. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    Hello DarkSapiens and welcome to the Fan Art Forum! Gosh, I don't know why you were reluctant to post your work--I love it! The drawing of the Endor battle is beautifully done: the arrangement (and accuracy...wow!) of the ships around the Death Star, the curve of the forest moon below and the wonderful shading of it all (shading for space is tough, with all the relatively harsh shadows--but you've pulled it off here just beautifully). Was the original done in graphite, or just colored pencils...? In any case, all the curves and shapes and everything look just superb! When I took a look at you PS-version of the original drawing, I found myself murmuring "Yes!" The black-and-starfield b/g was really all the drawing needed (and that's a tough thing to do in pencils, lol!). I like the 3D render as well, but being a pencil-jockey myself, I find that pieces done in traditional media like pencils appeal to me just a bit more. These are wonderful, we're glad you decided to post them, and we'll be looking forward to seeing some more! Again--welcome!

FF

3. DarkSapiens

Oct 2, 2005
    Wow... Thanks, really... [face_blush]

I made it three years ago. I think it's the last of my "Big Great Coloured" drawings :p , when I still had time to do them... [sigh]

And yes, all greys are made with a graphite pencil, and the colors are coloured pencils. (I know you love graphite... ;) )

I'm glad you liked it so much. I think I will scan some of my other drawings, or even MAKE some more. I like to draw, and I want to draw.

My last ones are merely small sketches in school notebooks, and some storyboards that I made a week ago? but they're 100% graphite, hehe...

I will do what I can.

DarkSapiens

4. LordNeo

LordNeo Jedi Master star 5

May 13, 2004
    oooh, I like it! :D

5. Giolon05

Giolon05 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 3, 2005
    Hey DarkSapiens! Welcome to the forum! I don't know what you were worried about, because your drawings are quite good. You've got a nice grasp of perspectives, and the shading detail you put into yoru deathstar is superb.

--Giolon

6. Daenna

Daenna Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 11, 2006
    DarkSapiens, I am amazed... Is that your 3D redering? is it reeeally yours?..... I am blown away!!

Your hand drawings are exceptional as well! I've ALWAYS wanted to draw space scenes and combats, but I'm such a lazy person... Thumbs up for the Death Star, it sure isn't the easiest battle station to draw! And I liked your starfield in Photoshop, it's really cool! How did you manage doing all those stars and making them look so authentic?

Please keep posting more of your art!

7. DarkSapiens

Oct 2, 2005
    Thank you very much for your comments...

Daenna, that 3D scene is made using models from SciFi 3D, so they're not mine. However, I have to make the conversions for all the ships, and that can be sometimes a lot of work (I had to re-texture all the ships that appear in that image, and almost rebuild that Star Destroyer...). The composition and lightning are mine, too.

About the starfield... Hehe... I had searched on Google but I didn't find acceptable ones, so... ¿Do you know the Official Star Wars Fact Files? Each part has a sort of cover in which appear a starfield? with he logo of that part, and crossed by a lot of vertical lines and circles, simulating the control panels the rebels used on Echo base... So I scanned it in greyscale, and then I erased ALL that lines with photoshop. Then, I turned the neutral colors a bit blue... and that's it. :)

And yes, now I have better starfields from Google... :p

Thanks for the feedback.

DarkSapiens

8. DarkSapiens

Oct 2, 2005
    Ok, I scanned some of my drawings today, and I will be posting them in reverse chronological order.

So here's the first one, a battle of Yavin scene.

There remain only three rebel pilots in the trench of the Death Star. They are the last hope for the rebels. If they fail, the Alliance will be destroyed forever. The approaching to the exhaust vent is dangerous, as defense turrets and TIE fighters shoot the X-wings. But the worst menace is behind those three pilots: Vader, who ignores that the leader of the fighters in his targeting computer is the person that he will sacrifice his life for... years later.

[image=http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/7937/yavin3gw.jpg]

Hope you like it :)

P.S.: I could do some computer work on this one... [face_thinking]

9. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Hey there, DarkSapiens!

I think you have a nice, very detailed style going style going on here. I was never one to sit down with a straight-edge and intricately draw out every last detail on a starfighter or the surface of the Death Star. Yet, here you've done just that. You should be very proud of the drawings you put forth here. I agree the computer does add another level of realism and I would love to see what you would be able to do with the Battle of Yavin one. ;)

10. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Oh, cool! :cool: This one looks great, DarkSapiens!! I have to agree with our moderator, HanSolo29--the intricate details and shading really do make this one--I'm so impressed with the walls of the trench! Did you work from a photo for this (although I seem to recall that the only thing in focus for most of the screenshots of these scenes were the fighters--the walls were a blur, for the speed effect...)? I can't get over it! Wonderful, once again! =D=

FF

11. Basement24

Basement24 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 1, 2005
    Nice attention to detail! There's a lot of patience going on here, which is admirable. A starry backdrop would look fantastic on this one too.

12. Chilla

Chilla Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    Wow, they look great. You've got very much detail in your pic (as others have already mentioned before) and I must admit I was always too lazy for that... =D= But it's good to have a not-lazy artist with your talent here.

Keep up the good work!

PS: My fav is the colored battle of Yavin.

13. DarkSapiens

Oct 2, 2005
    Oh! I'm impressed that you really like them... :)

HanSolo29: Thanks! I often draw spaceships, since I was a small kid, so... I'm better doing it rather than drawing people :( I'm really bad when I try it. (Although I haven't tried doing it recently. Who knows? Perhaps I can do something) And another thing is that I like detail :D. Sometimes I think I'm too perfectionist. Hehe, in some of my drawings, I have ruined some small parts when I retraced them with ink... [face_laugh]
    I have no time at the moment, but I will add that starfield some day ;)

FalconFan: well, normally I don't use photographs for my drawings... I simply think about a scene, and then I try to make it. But for the detail of the trench I used some parts from an illustration in the Incredible Cross Sections book, and placed them in both sides of the structure. I had to invent the floor. Thanks again for your praises :)

Basement24: the answer to your comments has already been said above... and thank you!

Chilla: hehe, I'm very lazy for a lot of things, too... but not for drawing, I think :D Thank you, too!

14. DarkSapiens

Oct 2, 2005
    OK, it's time for the next drawing.

This was made on 7/18/2001, and it's another scene from the battle of Endor. I wanted to show the approaching of the imperial fleet from its point of view ?but I've always had problems with perspective. As you can see, most of the capital ships are in "2D", viewed from side, and I couldn't achieve the effect of staying near the Executor's bridge...
    But, hey! It was five years ago...

[image=http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/8306/endor26hi.jpg]

15. Chilla

Chilla Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    Wow, but you already had a lot of detail in your drawings five years ago. =D= Love the half-finished Death Star. Looks...cute! :D

16. Todan

Todan Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 3, 2006
    Hay DarkSapiens i rilly like you drawing mate they are rilly good and for me one of the best part of starwars is the space battels good work keep it up they are cool

Todan :cool: =D=

17. Dark-Sith_ofthe_Moon

Dark-Sith_ofthe_Moon Jedi Master star 3

Oct 18, 2004
  18. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    I don't see much of a problem with the latest Endor battle piece, DarkSapiens--it looks very much like the scene we had in the film of the Imperial fleet "boxing in" the Rebel vessels--and in the movie, this was a straight-on-side-shot of all the capital ships... As with the other pieces, the detailing in this is just great--all the "bubbles" on the Mon Cal command ship are wonderful (this, to me, seems like it would be the toughest ship to draw well, because of all the curves and the lack of straight lines)! Will you be PSing this one as well? Another great battle scene!

FF

19. DarkSapiens

Oct 2, 2005
    Well, I couldn't post anything here for some time...

Thank you for the last comments! That really helps :)

I think I will post the next image. Made in 1/14/2001. It isn't a scene from any movie ?and it couldn't be? but I wanted to make a picture with the Death Star as background and some imperial starships surrounding it, as if the DS wasn't destroyed and had become the main imperial space operations base in the galaxy.

So here it is, The Glory of the Empire

[image=http://img157.imageshack.us/img157/7876/imperior1zl.jpg]

Hope you enjoy it

20. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Glory Of The Empire, indeed DarkSapiens! This is a wonderful "what-if" kind of piece: what if the DS hadn't been destroyed...? What would the galaxy have looked like, then...? To have the battle station surrounded by elements of the Imperial Navy is a great touch, particularly the SSD. Excellent renditions of the vessels--the detail on the SSD makes my head spin--great work! It still amazes me that you can keep the spherical look to that Death Star so well...it'd not an easy perspective to draw accurately, but you seem to manage it with ease! Another nice, nice piece!

FF

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.