main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Dark Side of the Force in EP VII...Redemption???

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Saurion-Fett, Oct 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Saurion-Fett

Saurion-Fett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2001
    " Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny."

Can you turn to the Dark Side of the force and be redeemed ....AND LIVE?.

With all the rumours around evil Luke's son or evil Luke or evil Kira etc. It got me wondering
    If you choose the Dark side it seems to come with a price as in Anakin's case.
    And will the evil big bad in EP VII pay the same price??

I always saw it like becoming a vampire, you become very powerful very fast but you must kill.
    You must continue to feed. The very thing that sustains you takes away your humanity. But if you tried to stop feeding ,,,with out it you die

I never saw it like a drug addiction I always saw it as a open choice you make to leave your old self behind as became a "Darth .........". knowing there is no return.

And if you could how would society forgive you and would you even want to live after the evil you had committed.

Do you think it would "Cheapen" the Dark side to have a character return and live and if so would you like to see this in Episode VII.

Just want to see what others think

Cheers

2. Hoggsquattle

Hoggsquattle Jedi Master star 5

Feb 7, 2009
    the villain this shouldn't be redeemed.

if every Dark Sider can be saved it makes RotJ less special.

However, the villain can still be sympathetic to a degree

maybe someone does try to bring him back but he destroys them or no-one tries

3. Saurion-Fett

Jul 3, 2001
    I suppose I am asking CAN to be redeemed and live ...Not should a villain be redeemed.

But I do agree that if every dark Sider was redeemable it does belittle the OT + PT redemption theme. And even in Anakin's case he still died.

4. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009

it depends on what the person did - what was in store for Anakin had he lived? That Ewok party would turn sour very fast.

I'd be interested in a story of a Dark Jedi returning to the light and learning to live with what he had done, but not in the Sequels right after Anakin's story. Maybe a story from hundreds of years ago.

That isn't to say I'm against a young hero going too far and being remorseful, but not the main bad guy Vader character finding salvation.

5. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    I very much doubt Luke would've been popular bringing his father to Endor, especially since Vader is responsible for the deaths of countless individuals in the Alliance.

6. Saurion-Fett

Jul 3, 2001
    If it is a "Skywalker/Solo" as the villain you could understand luke not wanting to face them. Even if he wins he loses if the only redemption is in death.

7. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009

it isn't always the case - a person can stumble and do bad things, and still redeem themselves, depends on the crime.

JediMatteus likes this.
  8. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    A new villain redeemed would be a rehash to me. Specially if the cyborg is Luke's kid. I would be the same thing with a little change (this time the good one is the father), like a lot (too many) things we are hearing about the ST. I would rather see Luke having to kill his son, or sacrifying himself to kill him. Or even Luke being killed in VIII and Daisy defeating the baddie in IX.

DanielUK likes this.
  9. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Agreed.
    Leave the redemption story for Anakin and Anakin only.

10. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012

Palpatine wasn't saved and he was the ultimate villain.

11. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009

Vader was the big bad though

12. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Disagree. I think that redemption should be an option whenever feasible. Obviously you can't redeem Palpatine, so it's not feasible to try. But any villain who is not completely rotten to the core–as in, sympathetic to a degree–should be an option for redemption. Not to say everyone who is an option for redemption should be redeemed–but the possibility should always be there. I don't think it makes ROTJ less special, because redemption is something that stretches beyond a single movie, since it's fueled by the love.

13. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009
    I supose I should have said "if every Dark Sider is saved it makes RotJ less special" since it is possible for anyone to be saved if the opportunity is taken.

However, I rather a different path for the bad guy this time - if Episode IX ends with the big bad being good again it just Vader's story repeated - as I said above, though, I'm not against someone trying to save him/her or the big bad himself wanting to chance but the circumstances push him//her further into darkness.

In any event, the redemption story has been done - better the Sequels hit new territory than rethread ground already covered to perfection.

14. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    What new territory is there to hit? Villains getting destroyed without any redemption has also already been done.

15. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009

Maybe there is a third option.

darklordoftech likes this.
  16. JediKnightWax

JediKnightWax Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    The Up and the Down side.

17. Jedsithor

Jedsithor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 2005

Pure ideology. I'd like to see a villain who doesn't want to rule the galaxy, he wants to burn it. The typical trappings of the Dark Side; greed power etc, mean nothing to him. Jedi and Sith alike are heretics of the Force in his eyes.

TheManFromMortis likes this.
  18. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    What if the bad guy is redeemed in VII, not IX, but he's replaced by someone worse?

starocean90 likes this.
  19. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009
    The first bad guy already got redeemed, the "worse replacement" is supposed to be the guy in Episode VII.

That Heath Ledger's Joker - but your on the right path ;)

TheManFromMortis likes this.
  20. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    An Agent of Chaos. He wants to cause havoc in the galaxy not rule it.

21. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Um, what?

22. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    East Side VS West Side. Jedi Knights VS Suge Knight.

Arawn_Fenn likes this.
  23. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009

Been done in Batman recently to much acclaim. Lucasfilm aren't going to copy another franchises bad guy.

Vader is redeemed. Episode VII introduces a villain who is worse (more evil, causes more terror, etc.)

24. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    If the plan for the ST is to try and out-Vader Vader, that is a big set up to FAIL.

We've already had the Emperor and Vader. One is a fallen or tragic hero turned villain. The other one is a mustache twirling bad guy in Palpatine.

If they're trying a retread, that would be very disappointing and, IMHO, anti-climactic.

25. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    True, but this is 30 years later. The villain at the beginning of VII could be someone who, as has been speculated, was captured and trained to be a villain from the time they were a child–never given a choice. This character, in the end, chooses the light, while a character raised in the light (Driver) chooses the dark. Or something.

jedinightwing and starocean90 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.