main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Dark Side of the Road (Garen/Obi and Others) - THANK YOU - July 11!!!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Shaindl, Jul 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arldetta

Arldetta Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2002
    Very nice. It's a very good aftermath. Sometimes getting into the details that lead him to this comfort level can be detracting. This was good. I enjoyed the journey. I hope to see more from you eventually. But I am definately glad you shared this. Thanks! :D

2. jacen200015

jacen200015 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2002
    Fantastico!! :)

No 3rd one? :( :_|

Owell. It was great while it lasted. :D

3. Sheila

Sheila Jedi Master star 4

Oct 6, 2002
    I finally caught up only to have it end! :_|

What a beautiful ending though, very satisifying. Great job Shaindl. :)

4. Phoenix_Reborn

Phoenix_Reborn Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2003
    Wow! And thank you for sharing this amazing story with us!!!

The ending fit perfectly with your Obi! I absolutely loved it!

5. Calantha

Calantha Jedi Master star 2

Oct 25, 2002
    :) Very satisfying finish. I like your explanation on why Anakin and Obi-Wan never understood each other. And for the post beforehand Garen's actions were perfect. I could completely imagine him furiously storming in on Obi-Wan.

No outline? :eek: I don't believe you. Your stories simply flow too well!

I'm already excited for your next story. And I'll be delighted if you write Garen and Ria again as well.

6. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
  7. JediNemesis

JediNemesis Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 27, 2003
    Brilliant ending! Love it!

?You try arguing with Master Clee, Bant, Kirena and Ria when they?ve all decided on something together.? The tall Master said grimly. ?It takes a braver man than me.?

[face_laugh] That cracked me up. :p

Anyways, the perfect ending to a work of genius :D

Looking forward to the next fic - it's that Mon Mothma bunny all grown up, isn't it?

Nem :)

8. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    Oh.My.God. That was perfect. Stunningly perfect. And one of the Best. Stories. Ever. I was gasping out loud in shock! You nailed Garen and Obi-Wan as a pair of friends, Ria offing Xan was too good, and I would love to see what kind of knight Kirena turns out to be. ;)

Until then, I guess I'll just have to settle for that OT fic :p which will undoubtedly kick as much Huttbutt as this one did.

edit: Almost forgot! I [face_love] beardless Obi!

9. shanobi

shanobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 11, 2001
    This fic was completely satisfying in so many ways Shaindl. Loved the relationship between Ani and Obi. Loved that it started with Garen captured and Ria going to the Jedi for help. Loved that Obi was so real and shared his fear about losing Ani. LOVED what a bastard Xan was :D So sexy! Ahem - really loved the duplicate reactor core and how that all played out. Garen holding a saber to Obi's throat, i'll say it again - brilliant! Loved that Ria will be staying with the Jedi Loved that Ani finally realizes how much Obi loves him. And finally - yes Obi, you are human :) And downright adorable clean shaven [face_love]

And the conclusion - Absolutely Perfect! So sad to see such a good fic end, but it was too good to lament over it :) And i'll read it again straight through i'm sure. So, this new OT fic - is this P7's bunny? I don't usually read OT, but I might pop over and check it out when you get it up. Good luck with it.

--shan

10. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Oh well *sniff* I do hope I'm not the only gal who liked the scruffy Obi? I though he *THUD* big time with his beard and his hair in Ep II!!!

11. Bekah_K

Bekah_K Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 3, 2002
    ?You try arguing with Master Clee, Bant, Kirena and Ria when they?ve all decided on something together.? The tall Master said grimly. ?It takes a braver man than me.? LOL! [face_laugh]

Loved the ending. :D Garen's a good friend.

Obi came to so many realizations concerning who he had become and why - and then changed those things which he knew he couldn't be held responsible for.

Anakin thrived under Garen's guardianship during Obi's absence - although Ani did miss his master terribly and wondered at the prospect of Obi really caring for him - and drilling it into Anakin's very being that he is indeed important to Obi-Wan and to everyone else that is close to him as well.

Wonderful job! :)

~Bek

12. Shaindl

Shaindl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    Hello everyone!

Please forgive the long time between the last post and my replies - DRL strikes again! :mad: :p

OE - what would I do without you? You're such a magnificent person - thank you, as always, for your help. This story wouldn't have gotten done without you! [:D]

Do you think people are sick of our mutual admiration society yet? :p

Kynstar - thank you! I've always thought that his inability to deal completely with Qui's death had something to do with Anakin's downfall. We'll see if that's true at all in Ep.III, I guess.

PT - it does make sense, never fear. I like happy endings a lot of the time, but it was sad to finish this story. I've been living with these characters for over a year - they've become old and good friends. Thanks as always, for reading!

Diane - I have plans for a Garen/Kirena fic that will be solely about them. It's still up in the air though whether it will be postable here or will have to go at 'the other site'. I'll let you know. And you might see Garen pop up in another story... [face_thinking]

LE - coming from the Emotion Queen, your comments are very welcome. :D Truly, thank you - I'm glad it came off as realistic. And yes, a new story - more below...

Arl - wrapping up a story, as we both know, can be hard, because there's things you need to get across to finish it off, but you don't want to get bogged down in them. I hoped this one worked. :) Thanks for being here!

jacen - well, never say never. But you won't see a story with this exact crew for a little while, at any rate. Hope you'll stick around for my other stories though. :)

Sheila - sorry - bad timing, hm? :p Seriously, I'm glad you were here, and I hope you enjoyed. Drop me a note sometime to let me know how you're doing. :)

Birdy - you're welcome! I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Calantha - I'm so glad you enjoyed the finish. That's my theory on why they never truly connected. I don't think Garen would get upset often - but when he does, watch out. :eek: And no, I don't usually use an outline, but I am this time, and I suspect I will from now on. There are a lot of elements in this story that I would have eliminated if I hadn't written on the fly like I have been. Palpatine wouldn't have been there, for instance. I'm glad it hasn't appeared as unorganised as it's felt at times. :D

PK - thank you!

Nem - I'm glad you liked that line - Garen's a tough guy, but put him in a roomful of women and he turns to mush. :D 'Genius' is going a bit far, but thank you for it nonetheless. :) And yes, it's that Mon Mothma bunny grown up and standing now on its hind legs beating me over the head. I've named it Harvey. ;)

Jade! - oh, wow. Thank you. So much. What can I say to such praise? And thank you for your comments on Ria. Have you ever wanted to meet one of your own OCs? I would love to sit down and have a coffee with Ria. :D Yep, you'll have to settle. But like I've said, another Garen and Kirena story is in the works - and Garen just might appear elsewhere...And I love beardless Obi too - if he keeps the mullet.

Shan - I'm so glad you liked my Xan. I was just saying this to OE - I think of all characters, he's been the most fun to write because he's so irredeemably evil, but - like you said - sexy evil. Wouldn't you just love to have one night with him?

Is it hot in here?

Ahem. Right. Anyways, it is P7's bunny - I hope the fact that you're not a huge fan of OT fics won't keep you away. Will it help to tell you that Obi does show up at a couple of points in it? :p

Kynstar - nope, you're not the only one. I'll take Obi-Wan anyway I can get him. :D

Bekah - I think Anakin would have a hard time accepting Obi-Wan's love and concern. Too much happened at the beginning of their relationship. But for things to work out with them, they would have to get past them somehow. Thanks for reading!

I know there are several of you who would like another story w

13. jacen200015

jacen200015 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2002
    Of course, why wouldn't I? :) :D ;) I enjoy reading your stories.

14. JediNemesis

JediNemesis Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 27, 2003
    Thank you to all of you who have stuck with me through this story and the sometimes long waits between posts. And finally, thank you to all those who nominated Dark Side and its characters for so many categories in the Summer Fanfic Awards. You have no idea how much it's appreciated.

Maybe we don't. *shrug* But we do know you deserve every last one of them there noms. :D

Will be anxiously looking out for the next story!

Nem :)

15. Angel5000

Angel5000 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2001
    I just started this story a coupel days ago, but I wanted to tell you that you've done an awesome job. I'm having a hard time deciding which one I like better, the first or the second. You write the characters very well, and I feel as if they're alive.

Great job!!

16. obi_ew

obi_ew Jedi Master star 5

Apr 14, 2002
    Wahoo!!! Awards are just over and time to congratulate Shaindl for her big wins!!

Best Villain Xanatos!!! [face_love]

Best Completed Darkside of the Road!! :)

Congrats dear! All well deserved!!! [:D]

17. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    A Jello Bravo to Shaindl!

[image=http://img8.photobucket.com/albums/v23/JadeSolo/ollej%20fun/olleJ_Obi.jpg]

Garen loves you for putting him in such a wonderful story!

[image=http://img.atpictures.com/wes/wes20.jpg]

18. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Yes yes!! Congrats indeed!!! =D=

19. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    Congrats!!!!

20. Indra

Indra Jedi Master star 3

Dec 31, 2003
    Finally, I'm going to reply to this. It's been so long, since you've finished it, that I'm feeling guilty for only doing it now. :(

The ending was so...sniff...great! :D I loved it. One of those stories where you turn off the computer and are simply satisfied with the way things turned out.

The things that whispered to me remember this when you write your review: :D

Yoda was great. Prerogative of the old it is. That sentence fits him so well. Also, Garen's comment about his title showed that with all the help Ria has given to the Jedi and everything she's had to suffer in her life, she's not one of them and there are many things she doesn't yet know and will maybe never understand.

The flashbacks to The Roads We Travel... fit perfectly. They made Ria's predicament so much clearer.

The whole repetition of the theme with Obi's and Garen's relationship was very convincing. They basically changed their roles. In the first part, Garen was the one full of guilt and Obi-Wan helped him out of it by confronting him with his 'stupidity' and in the second part Garen did the same for Obi. Very well done.

The whole story was gripping and realistic with characters (both OC and canon(have to use that word, since I've just learned what it means)) whose actions were very believable and who never did anything where I thought that nobody would really act that way. Well, there's really nothing else to say. It was simply great! :)

Oh, one more thing, which will show that I'm still a newbie: what is OT?

21. Shaindl

Shaindl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    Hi everyone,

I'd just like to thank all the people who voted for this story in the Saga Awards, announced last night. As OE announced, it won Best Completed Story and Best Villain for Xanatos. You're all wonderful readers, and I can't thank you enough.

Congrats to OE, RRK, and VDRLVR for their wins, all richly deserved. And thanks OE, Kynstar, Jade and PK for your sweet words (and pictures! =P~ :D).

And just to reply to new comments...

Angel5000 - I'm so glad you're enjoying. Thanks again for the PMs way back when. :)

Indra - You're always so sweet - thank you! :) I'm so glad that everything worked and came across well for you. It's always a worry that people will think characters are acting out of character, so I hope it all didn't seem silly. Don't tell Diane, but I really like writing Yoda - I think he can get away with saying a lot of things that other characters can't.

I wondered about using the flashbacks, and I wasn't sure if they fit or not. But I thought maybe people wouldn't remember that Ria does have a lot of insecurities, and needed to be reassured about those. Glad it fit. :)

With that parallel you mentioned, I think that's the way of friendship - people go back and forth with being the one leaning or the one being leaned on. It was just Garen's turn to be strong. :)

And finally, that last comment is one every author wants to hear - that everything and everyone had a reason for acting the way they did. :) Thank you!

OT means "original trilogy". So anything having to do with ANH-ROTJ. PT means "prequel trilogy" and is TPM-Ep.III.

Shaindl

22. Indra

Indra Jedi Master star 3

Dec 31, 2003
    Why shouldn't I tell Diane? Don't tell me she doesn't like the little troll. I didn't think there was anyone who didn't like him!

23. Reihla

Reihla Jedi Master star 3

May 17, 2002
    Congrats on your Saga Era wins for Best Completed Story and Best Villain! Very well deserved. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.