"Dark Tide I: Onslaught," by Michael A. Stackpole [Del Ray, 2000]

Discussion in 'Literature Review Forum' started by Errant_Venture, Feb 21, 2005.

?

"Dark Tide I: Onslaught," by Michael A. Stackpole [Del-Ray, 2000]

Poll closed Mar 25, 2012.
10 (Excellent) 16 vote(s) 27.6%
9 14 vote(s) 24.1%
8 14 vote(s) 24.1%
7 5 vote(s) 8.6%
6 (Average) 3 vote(s) 5.2%
5 (Average) 2 vote(s) 3.4%
4 2 vote(s) 3.4%
3 0 vote(s) 0.0%
2 0 vote(s) 0.0%
1 (Poor) 2 vote(s) 3.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus

star 6
  2. Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Dark Tide I: Onslaught by Michael A. Stackpole

[image=http://www.theforce.net/books/images/onslaught.jpg]

Synoposis

It is a perilous time for the New Republic. Just when unity is needed most, mistrust is on the rise. Even the Jedi feel the strain, as rogue elements rebel against Luke's leadership. When alien invaders known as the Yunnan Vong strike without warning, the New Republic is thrown on the defensive. Merciless warriors, the Yunnan Vong glory in torture. Their technology is as strange as it is deadly. Most ominous of all, they are impervious to the Force.

Now Luke must wield all the awesome powers of a Jedi Master to defeat the gravest threat since Darth Vader. As Leia and Gavin Darklighter lead desperate refugees in a fighting retreat from Yunnan Vong forces, Mara Jade, Anakin, Jacen, and Corran Horn find themselves tested as never before by a faceless, implacable foe determined to smother the light of the New Republic forever beneath a shroud of darkest evil . . .
  3. Obi_One_Kenodi Jedi Knight

star 2
    Stackpole is second only to Zahn as the best EU writer out there. This was one of my favorite books by him! 10/10.
  4. sidious618 Force Ghost

star 6
    I think this was my favorite book by Stackpole and one of the best NJO books. Great job!
  5. Darth-Seldon Force Ghost

star 6
    I gave it a 9.

Excellent read.
    One of the gems of NJO.

-Seldon
  6. GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN Force Ghost

star 5
  7. darthmohican Jedi Master

star 4
    9....i liked how he put the Vong only in the last chapter...it makes everything all mysterious
  8. Obiyodawinduvader Jedi Master

star 4
    I voted 8

I just finished the book 4 days ago. A good read, my favorite parts were Anakin and Mara on Dantooine and The part where Jacen got captured by the Vong and Luke comes in to save him.

Well worth the time.
  9. AlisonC Jedi Master

star 4
    I really liked this book. I have to admit that after Vector Prime I wasn't sure I wanted to keep reading the NJO, so I gave the series one more chance, and DT:eek: made me a believer. I voted on this awhile back and I think I voted a 9. This is because I'm extremely stingy with 10's.
  10. boady22 Force Ghost

star 2

Stacks almost turned the corner with this one. I gave it an eight. It was good to seen Corran in the NJO and I liked Ganner's charater. It still fell short though. The ending needed some more to it. But all in all it was good to read Stackpole back in action.
  11. Corellian_Cutie Jedi Master

star 4
    All i can say is that i liked it...next one's better though, with Jaina and Jag's meeting. Wait, Am I think of the right books?
  12. Jacen-Vader Jedi Knight

star 1
    10. I love the Dark Tide Duology. The X -Wing , Corran, Gavin and the elements of the Rogues are the best. But same that Corellian_Cutie Ruin is a little better.
  13. Obese_1_Ka-Blooey Jedi Master

star 4
    don't think so. oh, my rating is 8 because i was a little disappointed by the lack of action and a smoothly moving plot. it was okay, though
  14. OBI-CHE_KENOBI Jedi Padawan

I really love this story so far from the NJO series. I finished reading Onslaught and just began Ruin. Stackpole is the man!
  15. Vader_The_Pimp6916 Jedi Knight

star 1
    An overall good book. A bit slow in some parts but i think all books are. I love it when Luke gets to fight in this one especially when he saves Jacen using two lightsabers. The book made up for the lack of action in the beginning by putting in quite a bit towards the end.

9/10
  16. emperorjones Jedi Padawan

I liked this duology as well. I enjoyed the Mara and Anakin Solo scenes. Also, the Corran Horn and Shedao Shai battle. It really helped flesh out the Vong, and I enjoyed both books more than Vector Prime.
  17. 1_4_Jedi Jedi Master

star 1
    8/10

This book does a good job of keeping the momentum building as this series develops. The Vong are still new and frightening, the NR is clueless and the Jedi are fragmenting. Things do not look good for our heroes at this point, and getting worse fast. Good development of the EU characters working along side the more familiar traditional ones, which is something we have really only seen in small bits & pieces so far in the EU. I'm already starting to like what some characters are doing and beginning to wonder about others. Definitely kept my interest and made me want to keep moving through the NJO books. Looking back on it now this title really started to give me the feel of the truly galactic and all encompassing scale this series covered as it moved along.
  18. padawan3 Jedi Master

star 4
    10 without any hesitation. The Dark Tide duology was among the best of the NJO and since it was written in the beginning, the Vong didn't seem like a worn out recording, but a perplexing and dangerous symphony. I only regret that they eliminated the third book before it was published.
  19. ConservativeSoldier Jedi Knight

star 3
    10. Easily. Just finished re-reading Onslaught just last night and it was great the first time through and excellent on the second run. Characterization was spot on for everyone (particularly the Solo kids) and I thought Luke's dual-saber wielding moment was short and sweet.

The Battle of Dantooine was choreographed perfectly--easy to picture all the events in my mind's eye (unlike some of the scenes in the later novels).

I hear that.

Dark Tide I: Onslaught
    Dark Tide II: Siege
    Dark Tide III: Ruin

Alas... :(
  20. Jensaarai1219 Force Ghost

star 4
    Oh yeah, I should reread this book. It's one of my favorites.

And it was here that I discovered Coran had a sense of humor...
  21. Obilieveinme Jedi Master

star 4
    I thought it was a good book if a bit slow. I still don't like Luke's force powers tiring him so much.

I guess Lady Vader isn't so nice after all. When the chips were down in Star Wars...she ratted out the poor people of Dantooine. She is so stuck up.

22. T-boy-wan Force Ghost

star 3
    gave this a nine-very good book despite absence of Han. Elegos, Corran and Ganner are great characters and it was good to see moe development with the Solo kids.
  23. KissMeImARebel Force Ghost

star 4
    I like Stackpole, but this one didn't do much for me. I liked Corran - Stackpole has done a good job developing his character over the years, and I enjoyed the Jedi Corran had matured into by this duology. The part where Luke rescues Jacen from the Vong is one of my favorite EU moments.

Otherwise...it's not that there is anything wrong with the story, so much as there is nothing really great about it either. Anakin and Mara were good, but nothing amazing. Gavin (shockingly) bored me. I found myself not really caring about final battle (except for when Lando ruined his shirt).

I wanted to like this one, I really did.

6/10
  24. MistrX Force Ghost

star 4
    Fun, if somewhat unremarkable book. Nice to see Stackpole bring Corran back as well as Rogue Squadron and the continuing buildup of the Vong as a great threat. And I did love that appearance at the end of a couple of familiar faces. Overall, though, I was a bit underwhelmed by this one, but I think it's a good lead-in for this duology.

7.5/10
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.