main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Dark Times #23: Fire Carrier, part 1 (of 5) (Republic #106)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Arrian, Dec 26, 2012.

1. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Hmm... interesting. It's unclear what the palace-like structure from GP was, although it was definitely structured differently from the Palace that we know. There's an Imperial Palace by the time of the AotE comics (probably intended to be THE Imperial Palace), but it also looks different too.

2. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    This is the first time I've really thought about them together too.

Actually makes for some amusing mental images of Palps saying "Quit obsessing about Jedi" in Dark Times and then Vader the very next minute thinking "Screw you" and rushing off to hunt down people in one of his Purge tales. :p

The2ndQuest and Malachi108 like this.
  3. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Well the issue calls the building from GP Palpatine's temporary quarters, and the Wook refers to it as such as well.

4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Works for me. Doesn't look like the Palace anyway.

It's nice that it's integrating with what we saw in GP. Given the bewildering number of appearances the Palace has, it's nice that this one at least specifies that the one in GP is not it.

5. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    The issue about the shape and size of the Palace is greater than the old SSD debates. At least in those we all knew what the darned vessel looked like! [face_laugh]

--Adm. Nick

Zorrixor likes this.
  6. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    I always figured that the Imperial Palace would actually be a whole district of Imperial Center and several buildings.

7. cthugha

cthugha Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 24, 2010
    Very nice issue. Nice art, some very believable depictions of post-war life... the only thing that bugged me was another surviving Jedi (or did we know that already?). And the Ghost prison crossover... awesome. With funny construction droids, and this little assembly of what seems like a rudimentary Imperial Court:
    [​IMG]
    That person on the left reminds me a little of DE's Dark Side Adepts; then next to him there's Mas Amedda... anybody recognize anyone else?

pronker likes this.
  8. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    All I know is the blue figure first in from the right is evidently camera shy.

9. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Maybe I will see if I can pick this up today. :)

10. Malachi108

Malachi108 Jedi Master star 3

Aug 8, 2009
    Yes, he was shown escaping Order 66 in Republic 79, the same issue that Bomo Greenbark, Dass Jennir and Beyghor Sahdett debuted in.

11. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    Only a matter of time before Wonder Woman Jedi shows up, too, right? :D

spicer likes this.
  12. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002
    I wish Wheatley was doing this arc as he's my favorite Star Wars artist, but from the preview, the art looks good. May have to download the digital copy as my local comic shop closed down a couple of weeks ago.

13. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    TIKKES' SURVIVAL CONFIRMED.

14. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Yes, and he was also one that (as he mentions in this issue) had dropped out of the war - so he wouldn't have been affected by Order 66.

15. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    That would make the guardsman standing behind him...San Hill!

Zorrixor likes this.
  16. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010
    Is Wheatley considered the best artist for SW comics?

17. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
  18. QuentinGeorge

QuentinGeorge Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 12, 2003
    He takes about forty years to illustrate a single panel, but the results are excellent.

MistrX and pronker like this.
  19. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    I considered picking this up today as part of my weekly comic pickups but didn't....did I make a mistake?!

20. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    I thought the artwork was clean, with a very nice wide shot in the middle of the issue, and since K'kruhk is a well-established enough character with a neat backstory to remain interesting, it was well worth the buy.

21. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    Poodoo! I shoulda got it. One I thing I did notice about the Star Wars comics is that they are 2.99 instead of the evil 3.99 double shipping of Marvel...currently the Star Wars series by Wood is all I'm picking up SW-wise but I think I might rectify that.

pronker likes this.
  22. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Finally got to reading this the other night. Always welcome to have more of K'Kruhk's epic saga to regain his headgear (but he's got 120 or so years to do it ;)).

I think the scene with him taking in the propaganda holo summarizing recent events and introducing him to Vader was my favorite- not only for the delicious continuity unload of DT, DV, DL & Purge events, but just for the somewhat fresh perspective. It's easy for the reader to forget that not everyone is going to know what has transpired over the past few months yet.

Also nice to see one other little loose end tie back into things.

[​IMG]

;)

The art isn't too bad either- it's obviously not Wheatley calibre, but it's nowhere near the uneven mess that made me want to forget Parallels even existed.

Looking forward to the rest of this arc!

Also, worth noting that part 2 of Fire Carrier will tie the regular issue numbering of the Marvel SW series (going by DT's Republic numbering), while part 5 will equal the number of issues plus the 3 annuals.

pronker likes this.
  23. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    Actually, Tikkes and San Hill were spies of Palaptine in the CIS leadership... ;)

Let us be serious. Why would Palpatine allow Mas Amedda and a Quarren to serve him after declaring the new Order?
    Most certainly, Tarkin and Grant would not approve of this.

24. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Mas Amedda has already been shown in Dark Times before so not really a problem. Though he is likely to indeed get replaced later on.