Lit Dark Times #30: A Spark Remains, part 3 ( of 5) (Republic #113)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by spicer, Jun 12, 2013.

1. Barriss_Coffee Chosen One

star 6
    It's becoming increasingly apparent that the only things Jedi of the Old Republic were taught involved navel-gazing, blaster deflection, and drinking/gambling.
  2. JackG Force Ghost

star 4
    And if you're Obi-Wan, how to pull the girls.
  3. Charlemagne19 Chosen One

star 7
    On a related note, what's people's opinion of the Ember/Jennir thing?

It's kind of interesting that I think they may actually be subverting the traditional Jedi romance.

She kind of puts me off and Jennir's lovey dovey relationship with her may be unhealthy.
  4. Revanfan1 Chosen One

star 5
    I don't mind that Jennir has a romance...but I can't stand Ember herself. She is a manipulative, annoying brat. At least in the first two arcs she was in.
    Jedi Ben likes this.
  5. spicer Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    I think she changed to be a better person during the time on Prine with Jennir.

BTW, in case anybody was wondering about Sadhett losing his wing(s) all of a sudden, Randy explains that in a thread over at the DH message boards:

http://boards.darkhorse.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=21152
  6. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    Another great issue. The duel was very well done- when it spilled out through the window, I felt bad for Kai in a "well, so much for this whole gambling empire thing" way. The deaths and injuries made me exclaim a verbal "no!", which shows how well even the side characters have grown on us over the years. The description and depiction of the flashback was a great moment as well (though a bit TDK Joker-esque, heh). I also liked the moments with Vader here- Anakin's mechanical skills showing through and such.
  7. Revanfan1 Chosen One

star 5
    True. I did like her a little better by the end of that arc.
  8. Jedi Ben Chosen One

star 6
    On the other hand, you never have to get a round and thus risk being called Jedi Tightwad.

Ah, but gambling, when you have precognition, is good!

I'm only at the end of the Volume 5 trade, but I dislike it greatly, due to Ember.
  9. Charlemagne19 Chosen One

star 7
    I'm holding off of my opinion because I assume Ember is going to betray him.

If she's just a substitute for Crys, I'll hate that.
  10. Jedi Ben Chosen One

star 6
    2 issues and you'll likely have your answer then.
  11. Revanfan1 Chosen One

star 5
    Also, I don't know how Jennir looks in these issues, but does anyone else find that he looked entirely too old, even when shaved, in Out of the Wilderness? Compare it to his appearance in Blue Harvest:

[IMG]

[IMG]

In the first, he looks like a mid-thirties Jedi with white hair (though I put that down to a unique Dennir-trait, not his age), and in the second he looks thirty years older. I guess that could be because he was in the desert for a long time, though.
  12. spicer Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    I think he looks like that only in that panel. Look at other panels in the same issue, he looks a bit different. At least to me.
  13. Revanfan1 Chosen One

star 5
    You could be right; it's been a while since I read that comic; I only got it from the library. How's he look in A Spark Remains in comparison?
  14. spicer Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    Yep, I just checked Out of the Wilderness #5 again, and he seems consistent with how he looks shaved with all other issues he's in (including all from A Spark Remains thus far) to me. I guess it's just the way he's drawn in that panel.
  15. Revanfan1 Chosen One

star 5
    Good. The Ember/Jennir thing would be really gross if he consistently looked in his seventies.
  16. Jedi Ben Chosen One

star 6
    Surely that's your standard Hollywood couple - see Ford, Connery and Willis!
    spicer and Revanfan1 like this.
  17. spicer Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    Speaking of Jennir's age, he always looked to me like he's in his forties. Anyone else thinks that way?
  18. Revanfan1 Chosen One

star 5
    Hollywood, yes. Jedi, no. :p

He could be forties. Probably that's how he's intended to be, anyways. Me, I want an explanation for his white hair? Is he a human, or a Middle-Earth Elf?
    Last edited by Revanfan1, Sep 19, 2013
  19. Jedi Ben Chosen One

star 6
    You're just saying that because you don't want to see a Dooku romance novel!
  20. Revanfan1 Chosen One

star 5
    [face_nail_biting][face_sick]
  21. Jedi Ben Chosen One

star 6
    Hey, look it may be an age diff of 7 decades but it's twue love!
  22. Revanfan1 Chosen One

star 5
    Oh, kark it all.
  23. spicer Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    Well, I'm not sure exactly. I actually have a friend who's 21 and he's dyeing his hair already (he doesn't have white hair, but there are clearly visible graying hairs in some places). However Jennir had white hair even as a kid (as seen in Out of the Wilderness #5). Maybe he's got some pigmentation disorder?
    Last edited by spicer, Sep 19, 2013
  24. Revanfan1 Chosen One

star 5
    Maybe so. I figured that or he was a half-breed, with one parent being a near-human whose species always has white hair, or something, and that was the only trait he got from that parent. A pigmentation disorder works just as well, though.
  25. Jedi Ben Chosen One

star 6
    Give in now, it'll only get worse now I've set that line of thought running in your head!