main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Drama Darker Tides ~ A Soap Opera

Discussion in 'Role Playing Forum' started by spycoder9, Sep 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    IC: Christopher Nichols
    Interrogation Room #2, Riverview Police Station

The other man's stare had no effect on Chris. He was only trying to make him uncomfortable and weaken his defenses so that he would reveal information. That wouldn't work - Chris only intended to reveal information he was willing to part with or that would benefit him in some way. He was very good at hiding secrets.

When it came to Heather and Natasha Casper...well, anything goes...

"Natalie wasn't the only one I didn't see much," he started to explain, his voice adopting a more casual and calmer tone. "None of them came around much. I guess they view us as the outcasts...I dunno." He glanced up, now making a point to look the officer directly in the eye. "All I know is I don't like them either. Two can play at that game. Respect goes both ways and if they're not willing to extend it to us, than I'm not willing to bend over backwards to appease them." He allowed himself to smile then, obviously thinking about something only he was privy to. "I keep telling Naomi that we need to move to get away from all of the drama, but she never listens. Maybe this will be the kick she needs to make the right choice."

Reclining back, it appeared that he was done with his little tirade, but then another thought crossed his mind and he allowed his voice to drop to a near whisper. "There is one other thing," he revealed cryptically, glancing around briefly as if he half expected someone else to be watching. He wouldn't be surprised if that really were the case. "Natasha...she was hiding something. I saw the look on her face when Pat drug her out of here. I don't know what you said to her, but you rattled her pretty good."

TAG: spycoder

2. spycoder9

spycoder9 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 23, 2008
    EPISODE FOUR - BETTER DEAD THAN ALIVE

[i]Riverview Police Station, Interrogation Room #2[/i]

?Actually, [b]Officer Gillis[/b] was the one to interview her. She did act like she was worried about something.?

[b]Robert[/b] nodded at Chris.

?I think you?re pretty much clear. I don?t really see any way you could build on our timeline.?

Robert stood, shook hands with Chris while thanking him for his time, and led him out to the waiting room. From there he took another family member inside. Sometime in the next few minutes, a conversation between [b]Naomi[/b] and Christopher transpired that resulted in them deciding to head on home because of a lack of any other reason to stay.

Once they arrived home, [b]Christopher[/b] would eventually head up to the bedroom. And he might possibly notice something. Under the bed. A bra could be seen sticking out. And he had known he had seen Naomi clean under the bed that morning. She wasn?t a messy woman.

[i]Why would her bra be under the bed?[/i]

[b]TAG: Tjace and Han[/b]

3. JediMasterAnne

JediMasterAnne Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 24, 2004
    OOC: Part 1 of 3 of a combined post with the GM.

IC: Kareen Gillis
    Riverview Police Station?Coroner?s Office

?Yes, Kareen. Time of death is. . .around 6:30p.m.? The Medical Examiner, Rachael Harp, replied.

?Listen, Kareen, ?Rachael seemed to be whispering. ?I have something. Something that might turn out to be important. I don?t know yet, and I don?t want to say anything over the phone, but. . .I think it might be someone you don?t wanna mess with.? Rachael sounded scared. ?Dammit, Kareen, I?m scared.?

Kareen suppressed a groan of exasperation. Could tonight possibly get any worse?

What had Rachael found out? And what "someone" was she talking about?

But if Rachael didn't want to say anything over the phone, Kareen could go down to Rachael's office herself--plus it gave her an excuse to get away from the station, and avoid the Caspers.

"I'm on my way there, okay?"

She sent Robert another text to let him know where she had gone, then made the short drive to the cororner's.

As she entered examination room, Kareen tried not to look at the body Rachael was dissecting. There was no one else there, but Kareen kept her voice low.

"So what's going on, Rachael?"

?I discovered something.? Rachael whispered. She led Kareen to the back of the room. ?But I don?t know for sure. Maybe I shouldn?t even be worried, but. . .? Rachael walked over to her computer. ?Stay back. I need to ask you a few things and tell me if it sounds right.? Rachael said softly. ?Alright-?

The computer exploded.

Out of nowhere, the computer exploded into pieces. Kareen backed off, shielding her face from the shards of glass that suddenly went flying across the room. What the ****?! Rachael collapsed back on the floor. After the silence took over, Rachael wasn?t moving.

She just laid there.

Kareen knelt beside her, checking her pulse, pulling her phone out of her pocket and put it on speaker, beginning CPR as she called 911 for an ambulance. "This is Detective Gillis, I am at the Riverview Coroner's office, we just had some kind of explosion here, we need immediate medical and fire assistance."

The second time Kareen had called 911 in the past few hours. They agreed that they would come quickly. The police station was only a couple of minutes away.

As they waited, blood leaked from many scratches on Rachael?s face. She had been beautiful, before this. Brown hair, brown eyes. Transfer from Portland, actually, though she had never spoken much about it to Kareen. She opened her eyes to a slit. Ragged breathe came from her burnt and sliced throat.

?Kareen. . .?She wheezed, ?You have to. . .know. . .who. . .?She tried to lean up. She collapsed back on the floor. The life was slowly draining from her, even as the police sirens grew closer. ?You have to. . .know that. . .it was. . .? The sirens blocked out Rachael?s words. ?It was. . .? Rachael dropped her head on the floor, her eyes rolling to the back of her head. She began to have a seizure, jerking up and down on the floor.

?Kareen!? Robert was there again. It was like déjà vu. He took Rachael from Kareen, and yet again he tried to save another woman. Paramedics arrived, and they indeed tried to save her also.

She backed off once the paramedics arrived, shaking uncontrollably as they tried to save Rachael--but just as with Natalie, their efforts were to no avail. Rachael Harp, the nobody from Portland, was dead.

To be continued...

4. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Nichols' Household

The cops dismissed him a short time later without a cause for concern, allowing the couple to return home. In the end, it had been a short interview and Chris was thankful that he hadn't been forced to wait with the rest of the family for the remainder of the night. Apparently he had said the right things to the cop and that's all that mattered. They had bought his story.

When he finally managed to stagger up the stairs to the bedroom, the bedside clock was already reading 2:17 a.m. Getting up for work in the morning was going to be hell, but a necessity. It was the last week before the brief holiday break for Thanksgiving and he had plenty to take care of in that short time span. He couldn't afford to miss a day and that's why he wasted no time in shedding his clothes until he was dressed only in a pair of shorts.

Sitting down on the plush bed, Chris reached over to set the alarm clock and accidentally bumped a framed picture with the back of his hand, causing it to tumble from the nightstand and onto the floor. A curse slipped from his lips as he slid from the bed and knelt down to retrieve it. Picking it up, he took note that a single crack now ran down the length of the glass frame that displayed a photograph of Naomi and himself on a weekend getaway from this past summer. He ran his thumb over the crack, as if his touch would magically cause the blemish to disappear...and then stopped as he caught a glimpse of something out of the corner of his eye.

The object was resting under the bed a short distance away, barely visible through the shadows being cast down upon it. Setting the broken picture back up on the nightstand facing down, Chris leaned forward and tucked his head under the bed as he grabbed the suspicious object, allowing the strap to drape over his fingers as he pulled it back towards him. His face screwed up in a mixture of both disbelief and embarrassment as he realized exactly what it was he was holding.

A bra. He scoffed at the notion of Naomi hiding her garments under the bed...like some sort of game. But then he realized that didn't fit her personality at all. Why would she--

His cellphone began to ring at that moment, piercing the silence as it began to blare "Kashmir" by Led Zeppelin. The sound made him jump, causing him to slam the back of his head against the bed. Another colorful flurry of curses flew from his lips as he staggered backward, allowing the undergarment to drop from his grip as he reached up and scrambled for his phone. The screen displayed only two simple initials: "J.M." Chris immediately recognized the caller and he felt his breath catch in his throat as he quickly silenced the noise and lifted the device to his ear.

"I told you never to call this number after midnight," he scolded in a hushed whisper, his eyes frantically darting around the room for signs that his wife was approaching. "What the hell are you thinking?"

He didn't allow the conversation to go much further than that. It was too risky. "Look, I can't talk now...I'll just--you know what, call me tomorrow--wait, better yet...I'll call you. Bye."

He closed the phone and hung up before any more damage could be done. Closing his eyes, he crumpled back to the floor and leaned his head back against the bed, breathing heavily.

TAG: spycoder, tjace

5. JediMasterAnne

Apr 24, 2004
    OOC: Part 2 of 3

Riverview Police Station?Coroner?s Office

This was bad...very bad. Two people dead in less than six hours--and Kareen was the only one with Rachael when the computer exploded; not good.

They had another crime scene to process, and another M.E. would have to be called in, but just now, Kareen needed a moment for her brain to catch up with what had just happened.

"She figured out who did it," she realized.

"She...she wanted to tell me," she explained to Robert. "I called her for the time of death; she said she'd found something else--someone we should watch out for. She sounded scared, and she didn't want to say over the phone, so I came here to talk to her in person. She went to show me something on the computer and...and it..." She couldn't finish, and tears began to streak across her face again.

?Kareen.?

Robert took her by the shoulders and made her face him.

?Kareen, just listen to me. You came over here with me. Remember.? Robert stared hard at her. ?She called you, but you decided to just go ahead and tell me too. So we were getting ready when 911 called us. Rachael called 911 and we came over here separately because you were going to head home for the night. We tried to save her, but we couldn?t.?

?Listen.? He was whispering now. ?I know you had nothing to do with this, but I can?t have you getting blamed for it. You just have to trust me and we have to get through this night.?

He released her arms and looked her right in the eyes.

?Now obviously you?re freaked out. Maybe you should just head on home. I?ll tell Chief. It?ll be okay. Just head home, get your sleep, and come back in the morning. I covered most of the interviews anyway. So just go.? Robert began to lead her out of the building.

As stressed out as she was, she wasn't distracted enough to not realize what Robert was suggesting. "You mean lie?

"Robert, have you lost your mind?"

As much as she knew that this looked suspicious, the evidence would certainly show that she'd had nothing to do with the explosion. And such a lie as Robert was suggesting would be quickly discovered, then they'd really be in trouble.

He did have one valid point, though: Kareen should not take part in processing this scene--until the evidence cleared her, she would do better not to compromise that evidence by handling it.

"I'm going back to the station, to fill out my statement on this incident, then I will go home.

"But Robert...I won't lie." As she turned to go back to her car, she muttered to herself, "I've got enough problems as it is."

Robert nodded at her as she began to leave. He reached a hand out and caught her shoulder at the last second.

?Please, don?t take that wrong way. I was just looking out for you.? He gazed at her with a sense of honor. ?You are someone I admire and wish I was more like.?

?You are the best damn cop I?ve seen in my career. And I don?t want to see it end because you were in the wrong place at the wrong time.?
    She couldn't hide her surprise at the compliment.

"...Thank you, Robert." She briefly wondered if he had any idea that her career was already hanging by a thread, and Heather Casper was holding the scissors.

"I needed to hear that. It's been a very...difficult night.

"If I don't see you back at the station before I leave, I'll see you in the morning."

To be concluded...

6. DarkLordoftheFins

DarkLordoftheFins Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2007
    Mordecai Casper
    Crime Scene

He had been to crime scenes before. Not few had been his own. Well, his own crimes, but it was different if they made you a victim. Or your family. He stepped out of the car and left the cigar inside to make sure he did not contaminate the crime scene. Pushing his black leather gloves over his hands he stepped there. Palmer led him to the scene. He fgollowed her, hearing things he could see with his own eyes. Blunt instrument. Could be something spontaneous or simply something brutal. Or they made it look like it. the suspects went through his head. Blunt instruments, more like a man´s work.

?You are free to look for yourself. I?ll go back and try to calm everyone down.? She placed a hand on his arm and looked into his eyes. He would be able to tell she was almost in tears. ?It?s hit all of us hard.?

"Thank you." he said and then slapped her hand away. His eyes got that look. the look that made clear that every ressource he commanded would be dedicated to see her suffer, if she ever did that again. "And no, you cannot leave." He then said. Small town cops. He made them and he destroyed them. They were here to keep things in order, not to order him.

"Who are the suspects?" He asked then. He took his cigar into his mouth and looked at the other cops, who were a little away. "Don´t worry if you don´t wanna tell me. I´ll find out anyway. just the question if you become my friend today or my enemy. Someone will tell you. Damned, I can just vote to have to or three deputies fired if I want in the next city council. You are still city-financed, right? And Sylvester that corrupt bastard? He´ll try to make it three." He gave her a smile that made sure she understood he could do a lot more than that. "So who have you taken in? Who got checked? Who is on your list?"

Tag: Spy

7. CPL_Macja

CPL_Macja Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 29, 2008
    IC: Xander York
    Riverview Police Station
    ?What?? Amy asked her son. ?Mommy? What are you talking about? You haven?t called me Mommy in years. What did Susanna say?"

?Huh?? Xander said realizing he was still holding the phone in his hand. ?Oh, not you.? He stammered as he hung up the phone. ?It wasn?t something that Susanna said, but someone else in the room with her.? Xander wasn?t sure how much he should say, but the filters that had once been in place were removed by the shock he was experiencing.

?Sue said she?d be here tomorrow. But there was a little kid, sounded like a boy, who referred to Nat as Mommy,? he stated with a confused look on his face.

Part of him didn?t want to confront his mom with this, but he just couldn?t resist any longer, ?Mom, did Natalie have a child? A child with me? Did you know about this?? With every bone in his body he hoped the answer to the last question was ?No? because he couldn?t take any more lies and deceit at that very moment.

8. spycoder9

Jul 23, 2008

[i]Riverview Park[/i]

[b]Elizabeth[/b] withdrew as if her hand had been burned. This man was not like she had perceived him at his gala. He had changed. And not for the better. Maybe the circumstance brought out the worst in people. Especially in [b]Mordecai Casper[/b].

?I-I. . .I?m on it, sir.?

Elizabeth got out her cellphone and called the station. After speaking for several minutes to different people, she closed her phone and looked at Mordecai. Tears were in her eyes, but this time from shock and embarrassment.

?At the station, they. . .they said that. . .? Elizabeth looked away, ?They don?t have anything for sure. . .but. . .your wife gave your granddaughter some money today. It was at a tea. And. . .[b]Officer Gillis[/b]. . .she asked her about and your wife wouldn?t tell her. And then. . .we asked your daughter Natasha about it . . . And she just told us about your great grandson.?

[color=red][i][b]Beep. Beep. Beep.[/b][/i][/color]

?Oh man.? Elizabeth waved at a cop who was standing a little ways away. ?Alfred! Another body. Corner?s office.?

?Um. . .ironic?? He shouted back.

?Shut up and get over there!? He nodded and ran off. ?Sorry, but we just got a report. Someone just died at the corner?s office.? She stood uncomfortably for a minute. ?I really don?t know what else to say. No one in your family is exactly cleared except for maybe your son-in-law [b]Christopher Nichols[/b]. But that is depending on what time exactly Natalie died.?

She was slowly regaining composure.

?Now, Mr. Casper, that is all I know. I?m sorry if maybe you wanted more, but for the moment we have two dead people within six hours. We are overwhelmed by not only your family, but also many other people who are just coming to be nosy. Maybe if you made a public statement or something to keep them busy.?

She continued her long stare at him.

?You wife is also at the station. She?s going to stay until you get over there. We don?t know much yet, Mr. Casper. We are working as hard as we can, but whoever murdered Natalie. . .they were good at it. And if you ask me, I?m guessing this murder at the corner?s office might have to do with Natalie.?

?Anything else, you want to ask??

[b]TAG: Fin[/b]

[hr]

[i]Riverview Police Station[/i]

Before [b]Amy[/b] could reply to [b]Xander[/b], her beeper went off.

"Another dead body. Damn."

She spoke slowly. For she sounded like she was in shock. Tired. Exhausted.

"Head on home, Xander. Here's the keys to the cabin." She pulled her hand from her pocket and handed them to him quickly.

"I've got to go. Just go home and sleep. You need some. We'll work it out tomorrow." She patted him on the cheek lovingly.

"I'm sorry this had to happen. Especially to Natalie."

Then she hurried out of her office.

[b]TAG: CPL[/b]

[hr]

[b]OOC:[/b] Great posting people. [face_applause] We should have another player, and another one is considering a part. I love the storylines, and I like to see the characters developing. [face_grin] I'll wait on tjace today, Han. Having fun! [face_peace]

9. JediMasterAnne

Apr 24, 2004
    OOC: Last part.

Riverview Police Station

She managed to keep her unsteady composure long enough to make it back to her car, but as soon as she shut the door, the tears started again, and she couldn?t hold them back any more. She cried for a few minutes, feeling like she?d just had one of the worst days in her life?this even gave the day of Katherine?s phone call a run for its money. When she got a hold of herself again, she drove herself back to the station.

When she arrived, some of her colleagues immediately started asking her what was going on. Kareen gave as little information as she possibly could?she really did not want to talk about this right now?before retreating to her office to write out her statement; she dropped off the paperwork on Robert?s desk after she finished, and he could give it to Amy later. Kareen had had enough for one night, and she was going home.

As she was heading out the door, fishing for her car keys out of her purse, she walked right into someone. ?Sorry?? she started to apologize, until she saw who she had run into.

Patrick was staring right at her. He had the car keys in his hand, and out the glass doors it was obvious Katherine was getting Devon in their car. It was late.
    Kareen immediately looked around to make sure Heather wasn?t anywhere nearby.

?Um. . .uh. . .? Patrick was blushing now. ?I know Mom said something about. . .you know.? He rubbed the back of his neck. ?I?m sorry. . .about everything.? He stood for several minutes. ?I didn?t want any of this to happen, and I apologize. It was my fault, and I accept full responsibility. So uh. . .see you around.?

So many emotions were coursing through her at the moment, for a second she couldn?t decide which was most prominent. But her newfound fear of Heather quickly overrode everything else. ?Look, Patrick?thank you, but now really is not a good time. And honestly?it?s probably better for both of us if we keep our distance.?

?Uh?well, okay, then.? He was still visibly flustered as he turned towards the door. ?Bye, then??

??Goodbye,? Kareen replied, more out of politeness than anything else. Part of her was still angry with him. At least he had apologized, though it probably would have meant more if it had come some months earlier, when she had wanted it?needed it?most. Besides that, Kareen seriously doubted that anything Patrick could do or say at this point would get Heather off her back.

As Patrick reached for the door, Kareen spoke up again. ?Patrick?? When he turned back to her, she continued, ?I?I?m sorry, too. For any trouble or embarrassment I caused you. For any pain I caused.

?Tell Katherine that, too.? She had tried to apologize to Katherine when they had spoken over the phone, all those months ago, but Katherine had been so angry and irrational, Kareen didn?t think she?d heard a word Kareen had said. Maybe now she might be a little more willing to listen. Maybe.

Patrick only nodded, and left without another word. Kareen waited in the lobby for a few minutes, until she saw his car drive off, then she went home.

Tag: spycoder

10. DarkLordoftheFins

Apr 2, 2007
    Mordecai Casper
    Crime Scene

"Gread-grandson, hm?" He waved his hand to tell her to get away and took out his cigar. Walking away he lit it and thought. A second dead body and professionals. It smelled like Sylvester. But it could be several others. It could be made to look like Sylvester. The Man from New york would bring a little light to the whole thing. If anybody could, it was him. and certainly not these amateurs of small town chiefs. He took out his mobile and typed the number of his lawyer. "It is me. I need you to get my wife out of the police station with no further questions answered and then I need you bring her to me. I´ll be waiting one block south in my limousine. Yes now. I pay you double." He cut the line and allowed a few breath of smoke into his lungs before nodding and making his way back to his car.

11. spycoder9

Jul 23, 2008

[i]Matthew Clinton's Home[/i]

[b]Matthew Clinton[/b] hung up his home phone and got out of bed. He rubbed his head, his eyes sore. He was extremely tired, and had went to bed extra early that night, but he knew that when [b]Mordecai Casper[/b] called him in the middle of the night and told him he had to get some things done. . .he got up. His wife opened her eyes and murmured a question as to where he was going. He only kissed her cheek once, whispered that a client needed him, and hurried to the bathroom. After combing his hair, brushing his teeth, splashing water in his eyes, and putting his contacts in, he put on one of his best suits. Straightening his tie in the mirror, he wondered why he had chosen to represent Mordecai. Everyday he feared that something would come out. Something would end his life prematurely. But as he looked around, working for Mordecai had given him many things that would?ve been inaccessible before.

[image=http://images1.gossipcenter.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/story_header/photos/matthew-McConaughey-04042011-4.jpg]

Matthew poured a quick cup of coffee and rushed out the door. When he got in his Porsche, he realized he had forgotten his Marlboros. He decided to just not go back and get them. After speeding out of the small suburban community he and his family lived in, he drove straight by the Riverview Park. And when he saw the police cars, media outlets, and many onlookers, he realized something bad had happened. He sped to the police station and rushed inside. He noticed the waiting room to his right, and a grieving [b]Heather Casper[/b] could be seen. He walked into the waiting room.

?Mrs. Casper, your husband asked for me to pick you up.? Heather nodded, picked up her purse, and walked out of the waiting room with the young lawyer. As they were leaving, a local news station reporter attempted to stop them. ?No response. No response. No response.? While he said those words, he noticed Heather weeping by his side. She had put on just enough weeping, Matthew believed.

Once Matthew arrived where he was directed to, Mordecai?s limousine arrived. [b]Oscar[/b] stared at Matthew through the tinted window with a rattled expression. It looked like he had been through hell and back. Matthew opened the door for Heather and walked over to the limo together.

?Mr. Casper?? Matthew asked as he stood his ground with the man. Matthew more respected Mordecai than anything. He had built his own business with his own hands and had made Riverview what it was today. Maybe not by the best ways possible, but now it was the only way to do it. Matthew despised [b]Nigel Sylvester[/b]. The man was a snake in its most evil form. Don?t stick your hand out to held him - he?ll just snap out and pretty soon you end at the end of a gun. Matthew knew from experience.

[b]TAG: Fin[/b]

[hr]

[b]OOC:[/b] Anne, I'm going to let others try to catch up by the end of episode four. At the end of it, a little time jump to the following morning will come. So everyone, be looking forward to a time jump and get your posts in.

12. tjace

tjace Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2008
    IC: Naomi Nichols
    Nichols' Household

The day was finally over.

Naomi had had to make small talk and comfort the rest of the family, as if she wasn?t feeling terrible for the loss of Natalie herself. Katherine, her brother, Patrick?s, wife, had been especially bad. As if Naomi didn?t feel terrible about going to that party instead of seeing Natalie one last time.

After a couple hours of waiting to be interrogated, her nerves had finally run out. Once Chris had gotten out, she had insisted on returning home immediately. The overworked police officers approved, and as Chris obviously didn?t want to hang around either, home they went.

Chris went straight upstairs, while Naomi went into the kitchen. She reached into a cupboard for some ibuprofen, as her hangover had allied with her fatigue, and it felt like her head was about to explode. She waited a few minutes to let the medicine get absorbed into her system, and then followed her husband to their bedroom. She checked her watch on the way up the stairs. Two a.m. She hadn?t gone into a lab with less than six hours of sleep since she was an undergrad at Brown.

It was as clean as she had left it, but Chris looked like a mess. Then again, I do too. Naomi went over and sat next to her husband. Through her exhaustion, she wondered what Riverview was coming to.

TAG: spycoder, Han

13. Ktala

Ktala Force Ghost star 6

Sep 7, 2002

<...>

You see?

It was much more easier than I imagined it would be. It had not took much effort at all. I was amazed, at how simple it had been. They always talk about difficult it would be. How wrong it was. The guilt. The pain. But they were all wrong. Fate took a stand. She was not meant to see me, but things happen for a reason. I understand now. Ohh, but the look in her eyes was worth it. She knew the reason. Knew the pain she had caused. And I knew at that exact moment, that I had done the right thing.

Natalie needed to die.

No.

That was not correct.

She was DESTINED to die. She was a threat. A lie. So little Miss Perfect. Everyone's sweetheart, who could do no wrong.

But that was a lie too. And soon everyone would see her for what she was. And that sweet little house of cards that she and her family had built would soon come falling down around them all.

All I have to do is watch.

<...>

14. JediMasterAnne

Apr 24, 2004
    OOC: Another combined post, mostly for fun, but it is still relevant to the story, and also introduces two minor characters.

Personal Residence

She dropped her purse and keys into a chair as soon as she walked in the door, shedding her jacket and tossing it on top of the other items before flopping down onto the couch, finally allowing herself to feel how overwhelmed she was. And how very alone she felt.

This was way too much for Kareen to deal with on her own, and she desperately wanted to get some of it off her shoulders and off her chest, but at the same time, there wasn?t really anyone she could talk to about this. Kareen didn?t have a lot of friends in Riverview?Amy and Robert were the only ones she really talked to, but she couldn?t discuss this with them.

Any other time, she simply would have called her mother in Portland, but it was crazy late at night and as much as Kareen wanted to talk to her, she didn?t want to wake her mother up over this.

?But Kareen?s father was on the night shift tonight. Which meant her mother would be staying up waiting for him, like she always did.

Daniel Gillis worked for the Portland Police Department?as Kareen had, up until about ten months earlier, when budget cuts had resulted in her losing her job. Hannah never slept when her husband was on night patrol, and she would stay up into the wee hours of morning until he got home.

Just the prospect of hearing her mother?s voice made Kareen feel ten times better as she dialed her parents? number.

?Kareen! Thank the Lord you called me!? Hannah Gillis?s voice fit her perfectly. She was Southern belle at heart, and always threw around words like ?Lord? and ?ya?ll?. It was something she had never been able to cast off once she had begun living in Portland. ?I was getting lonely. Like always. Go figure. How are you sweetie??

Kareen smiled to hear her mother's familiar enthusiasm, but she could feel her throat tightening as her mind started to return to the very things she was calling about.

?Life treating you well up in little ol? Riverview, Maine??

"Ugh," Kareen could no longer restrain her frustration. "Actually, Mom...I...I just had a really bad night at work." Her voice was high and tight; Hannah would recognize the tone and know full well that Kareen was trying very hard not to cry. "I just needed someone to talk to."

"Oh sweetie! What happened? Does have to do with you-know-who?"

Kareen knew exactly who her mother was talking about. Hannah and Daniel both knew about the affair. "Kind of. His neice was murdered--I don't know if the Portland news announced it, but the media is having a field day here. Robert and I found the body. When we interviewed the family, I had the 'pleasure' of meeting Patrick's mother." She cringed at the memory. "Everything just went downhill from there."

"I'm sorry! They did mention something about a girl dying in Riverview, but I wasn't paying attention. I wish you could've had a better day. But remember, there is always tomorrow."

Hannah then proceeded to talk about her day. The line at the shoes store had been awful, her favorite dress has ripped, and her hair had been cut uneven by the hair dresser. Little mundane things that took Kareen?s focus off of the day?s events. "Listen to me complain about my day! At least I didn't walk up on a dead body! I wish I could be there Kareen. I wish you still lived up here. Those budget cuts. . .I say, our government has just went downhill, to tell you to the truth. But speaking of me wanting to come down there. Are we still on for Thanksgiving? You know I'd fix the turkey. And me and your dad could decorate your house. You always had the worst taste in curtains, to tell you the truth. . ." Hannah laughed a little.

By now, Kareen was shaking with silent laughter. Her mother always knew how to make her stop worrying about the bad things.?Yeah, Mom, we?re still on. When are you guys going to get here??

"Dad and I are takin

15. Ktala

Ktala Force Ghost star 6

Sep 7, 2002
    <....>

Should have expected it.

Rachael did not come from the community. An 'outsider'. Good Coroner though. Pity. Those are hard to come by. But she should have known better. Should have been more 'discreet'. But what is done is done. And it was useful. For now Kareen had become more involved directly.

Of course, everyone knows that computers don not simply explode. But the timing of it, would make people wonder who was the true intended target of the device. and let's not forget Robert. His role is important too. Just what WAS he doing there? Could he be following Kareen? Now why would he do that? Anything is possible, with a little thought.

Just like exploding computers.

Who could do such a thing? Nigel Sylvester for one. Then again, so could Mordecai Casper. Of course, not directly. They would not dirty their hands so. They would simply pay someone to take care of it. To destroy another beings life, with less thought than it takes to swatting away an annoying fly.

<SMILE>

Yes, there would be many flies around this mess, when it was over. And then everyone would know...

<...>

16. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Nichols' Household

The silence that penetrated the air following the unsolicited phone call was simply too much. He knew he had been safe; he could still hear his wife rummaging around in the kitchen downstairs, but it was the principal of the thing. Part of him began to question why he had gotten involved and why he had invited that particular individual into his life. Somehow, it didn't seem to make sense anymore - not like it used to. Perhaps a close call would do that to a person. Whatever the case, he found that his hands were shaking as he slowly hoisted himself back up onto the bed and began to automatically scroll through his contact list on his phone.

He paused briefly over the entry that displayed the same initials that had popped up during the call before reluctantly hitting 'delete.' He wasn't sure what had driven him to that decision, but what was done was done. Maybe it was the need to get rid of the evidence...maybe it was something else. It was too late to dissect such rash decisions...

Several tense seconds passed before he found his finger hovering over yet another name...this one more familiar and comforting than the last. It had been months since he had last spoken to his sister and he knew it was late, but he just couldn't help himself. Christa had been a fairly shy girl growing up, but around the family and particularly Chris, she had been quite loud and eccentric. This behavior caused the two to argue and break into fights quite often, but then again, what siblings didn't fight? Despite their differences, Chris found that at the end of the day, he could always come back to Christa for advice and even comfort.

That's what drew him to her now...

Punching the 'call' button without a second thought, he pressed the phone to his ear and drew in a deep breath as he waited.

"Hello?" came the groggy voice over the other end after several minutes. A pang of guilt shot through Chris as he realized she had been asleep.

"Hey, it's me," he murmured in reply, keeping his voice low as not to attract too much attention...even if his wife was the only other person in the house.

There was a pause as his sister obviously tried to gather her thoughts and clear her mind from recent sleep. "Chris?" she finally questioned. An audible sigh followed. "What--do you realize what time it is?"

He pressed his lips together in a faint wince. "Yeah, I know...I'm--"

"Are you drunk?"

Why was that always the obvious question? Sure, he had been out drinking that night, but not for the reasons she thought. It stung to think that his own sister thought of him as that kind of guy. "No," he growled out defensively, almost a little too harshly. "I'm not drunk. I just..." He trailed off, suddenly finding that he had no clue what he was actually doing...let alone, know what to say.

Christa's voice rose a bit in tone, a sign that she was becoming annoyed. "You just...what? Chris, what's going on?"

He shook his head even though she couldn't see the gesture. He suddenly felt very small and very stupid. He had no idea what he was doing anymore and the words were just flowing from his mouth. "I...I dunno," he admitted quite pathetically. "I don't know what the hell I'm doing...I just--it's been a long night. I'm sorry. Natalie...you know Natalie, right? She was found dead and--"

"This has nothing to do with her, does it?" her tone was accusing as if she could see right into his soul. "I know you, Chris. You never liked her. What's wrong?"

For some reason, he couldn't bring himself to answer and simply remained silent. Perhaps it was fear of Naomi stumbling upon something she shouldn't...and rightfully so.

"Alright, I get it," Christa finally surmised as she unleashed a heavy sigh. "You don't want to tell me. You and your goddamn secrets. I don't understand it...I really don't. You call me to vent and then you clam up. You make no sense. Whatever it is, you better get it straightened out b

17. CPL_Macja

CPL_Macja Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 29, 2008
    IC: Xander York
    Riverview Police Station
    Xander was exhausted, his mom was right he needed to just close his eyes and sleep for a few days. So he took her up on her offer to go back to the cabin and sleep for awhile. He was so tired that he found himself dozing off at the wheel several times between the Station and his mom's home.

Once he got there he simply walked in and collapsed on couch, he didn't even bother to change out of his clothes. He laid down and closed his eyes letting the exhaustion take him away to dreamland.

18. DarkLordoftheFins

Apr 2, 2007
    Mordecai Casper
    Limo, near the Police Station

"Thank you Oscar." There wasn´t really more to say to him now. Mordecai took a deep breath of his cigarette and then looked at him. "Stay ready, we might have plenty of need for you and your bureau." With that the window went up again and Mordecai turned towards his wife. A nod to the window seperating the driver from them made the begin driving. Mordecai had ordered him in advance to take a direct route into the woods.

He said no word, not reacting to his wives words until they were at the falls. The place where they had once dated, where young couples sometimes went to be for themselves. A bizarre truth was it 5 in the morning people used it sometimes to dumb things into the river beneath.

"Why do I have to learn from a cop abut my Great-Grandson, my dear? And what was the money for you gave her?" He raised his hand before she could anwer. "Before you say a word. A WORD. I wanna make perfectly clear that if this lead to her demise, this I an act of treachery against me and my family. And any added lie would be considered nothing but treason. You know what happens to people who commit treason and get caught, do you?"

19. spycoder9

Jul 23, 2008
    The Falls

[image=http://shop.oz-e.com.au/paronella/highres/downloads/falls_night.jpg]

Heather?s resolve broke. She backed away from Mordecai and towards the falls. ?How dare you threaten me? How dare you? I am your wife.? Tears stinging her eyes, a flash of vigor reappeared in her petite body. ?Your great grandson.? She stared into his eyes. ?Alex Crane. He looks just like Natalie. Susanna is raising him because Natalie asked her to. And you know why I didn?t tell you? Because I knew Suzie could raise him. I knew she could. And if you would?ve known, you would?ve scooped that child up and bring him to his place. And I couldn?t let you do that.?

She jabbed her husband in the chest. ?And about the money? I'm not telling you. I don?t care if you have me killed. I just don?t care anymore. You could push me off these falls.? She stepped back a few steps and found herself at the edge. ?Fitting, wouldn?t it be. For me to die at the same place where we first fell in love. Go ahead, you bastard. You push me off this cliff and kill me like you have always wanted to do.? She grinned through her tears. ?She loved me more, Mordecai. You were always so cruel. So cold hearted. You are dead inside.?

She left the edge and walked back to Mordecai. She watched the foaming falls as she thought about everything that had happened in her life.

?I can?t do it anymore. The endless arguing. Fighting, even. I loved you Mordecai.? She looked into his eyes. ?I wanted you, and not just for your money. Now I don?t even want that. I want to have a normal life.? She took her flashy wedding off and felt of it. This was the first time she had done so in the thirty years. She felt of it in her fingers. "And I just realized that it?s not with you. It has taken me thirty years of hell to realize I don?t belong with you.? She took his hands and held them.

?Kill me, Mordecai. Have someone hunt me down and shoot me. Make me look horrible to my friends. I have just as much dirt on you as you do on me. I won?t say anything about us. I couldn?t do it. Because I loved you. But I can?t do this anymore.? She let go of his hands and turned away.

In his left hand was something small.

A ring.

Heather?s ring.

~End of EPISODE FOUR - BETTER DEAD THAN ALIVE~

20. spycoder9

Jul 23, 2008
    EPISODE FIVE - THE DAY AFTER

Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal.
    -From a headstone in Ireland

[image=http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/01/70/65/a6/the-tide-at-sunset.jpg]

[b]Gabriel Nelson[/b] woke up.
    [b]Naomi Nichols[/b] woke up.
    [b]Christopher Nichols[/b] woke up.
    [b]Xander York[/b] woke up.
    [b]Kareen Gillis[/b] woke up.
    [b]Mordecai Casper[/b] woke up.
    Everyone in Riverview woke up on that cold morning in November.

Everyone, except for the beautiful heiress [b]Natalie Crane[/b] and the modest coroner [b]Rachael Harp[/b]. Because they had been murdered by the same person.

21. spycoder9

Jul 23, 2008

[i]The Nelson Condo[/i]

[image=http://defglam.com/wp-content/uploads/Rooftop-lap-Pool.jpg]

[b]Gabriel Nelson[/b] woke up in his four poster bed. The smell of the beach and the sound of seagulls filled the beautiful white room of his condo. And in his arms was the slim body of [b]Esmeralda Sylvester[/b], her body covered in a purple negligee. She was fast asleep, her blonde curls resting on his chest. The night had been dreamy. Gabriel, in his pneumonia produced haze, had been greeted by Esmeralda late in the night. Somehow they ended up in the bed.

And now they were here.

Esmeralda stirred.

?Gabe? Are you awake?? Her voice was like a sweet melody. ?Are you feeling any better? When I got here you were so dizzy. . .?

She patted his chest tenderly.

[image=http://images5.fanpop.com/image/photos/24500000/Revenge-Emily-Thorne-revenge-tv-show-24570089-450-600.jpg]

[b]TAG: dreven[/b]

[hr]

[image=http://www.appleton.org/i/d/utilities/apd%20building%20photo.JPG]

Once [b]Kareen Gillis[/b] final stumbled into the police station early Monday morning, she would find it less crowded than it had been before. It was more crowded than usual. [b]Officer Malone[/b] sat at his computer. [b]Elizabeth[/b] was speaking with the Chief who had purple rings around her eyes. [b]Robert[/b] noticed her out of the corner of his eye and his smile brightened greatly He laid his papers down on his desk and picked up a cup of steamy coffee, as if he had expected her to be coming in at that time.

[image=http://danieldaekim.com/sites/default/files/home_billboard_suittexture.jpg]

?Kareen. I?m glad you took my advice.? He handed her the warm mug as he sipped his. ?Chief said today is do or die. We?ve got to gather as much evidence as we can. Come into our room.? He led Kareen into the empty conference room where the crime scene board stood. He closed the door behind him.

?Things are not good around here.? Robert?s smile dropped. He revealed his true expression. Weariness. He hadn?t slept all night. ?Chief?s under some bad pressure. Rumors got to us that Heather Casper was seen leaving the Casper Estate with suitcases.?

Then Robert grinned wearily.

?And if you didn?t already know, me and you have been assigned to this case. Chief said we?re the most level headed of the bunch.?

He sat down for a couple of seconds.

?I?m tired. Very tired. So wherever you want to go, just tell me."

[b]TAG: Anne[/b]

22. spycoder9

Jul 23, 2008

[i]The Nichols Household[/i]

[b]Naomi Nichols[/b] would wake up to her doorbell ringing. She and her husband had fallen asleep early in the morning, after a kiss goodnight. When [b]Christopher[/b] had gone to work, Naomi had woken up and checked her messages. Her department boss called and said they were letting her off a day because of the tragedy.

So Naomi had fallen back asleep.

And next thing she knew, the doorbell was ringing. Once she had finally made herself decent, she would peep through the window and see her sister standing there, holding a little blonde haired boy?s hand. She was tapping her foot impatiently. Her eyes were puffy and red, most likely from crying.

[b]Susanna Crane[/b] was crying.

That was something you didn?t see often.

[b]TAG: tjace[/b]

[hr]

[i]St. Mary?s Academy[/i]

[image=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/ee/Somerset_Christian_College.jpg]

[b]Christopher Nichols?s[/b] class was short a couple of girls. Most likely staying out in hopes of getting a free day because of Natalie?s murder.

Most of the girls were attentive and listening.

But one of the girls continued to apply nail polish to her nails as she whispered with several of the other girls. She kept glancing at Christopher and giggling. It was obvious she was another rich kid put in this college when she much too stupid to realize she was lucky.

?Mr. Nichols. When you gonna get rid of that woman you married to?? [b]Carrie Rockford[/b] snickered. ?She is ugly.?

Obviously the pretty girl was trying to stall class and equally flirt with Chris.

[b]TAG: Han[/b]

23. spycoder9

Jul 23, 2008
    Amy York?s Cabin

Xander York would wake up in the same place he had fallen to sleep. His mother had never came home, and the TV flickered. Someone in the night he had turned the TV on.

?Again. Natalie Crane, the granddaughter of Mordecai and Heather Casper, was drowned last night. Her death was quickly followed by the death of Rachael Harp, the coroner. Her death hasn?t been ruled yet, but it is presumed she was murdered also. Police have asked everyone to stay away from strangers, or to stay in groups. They are searching diligently for the murderer of either or.?

Amy had called home two or three times, just leaving short, sad messages about how much she loved him and hoped he was sleeping good.

It might have seemed like a dream to Xander. It might not of. But it would be fairly clear soon that Natalie Crane was dead. She wouldn?t be coming back to nestle in with him. To kiss him when he was down.

Natalie Crane was dead.

TAG: CPL

[b]OOC:[/b] Fin, I?m going to hold off on the update for you for a little while. And Ktala, we will remain over Pm?s. Hope everyone enjoys.

24. JediMasterAnne

Apr 24, 2004
    Riverview Police Station

She didn?t get much sleep that night. Nightmares repeatedly jerked her from slumber, and then her dread and anxiety regarding the next morning and what she needed to do would keep her awake.

When she finally dragged herself into the station, the crowds of family members, friends, and curious gawkers had drifted away, but the place was still overrun with staff. Amy looked terrible. Robert smiled when he saw her, but she could tell he hadn?t slept, either. Kareen wondered if either of them had ever even left the station.

She gladly accepted the hot cup of coffee, taking a long sip as Robert led her into the conference room, briefing her on what she?d missed. Her eyes widened in surprise when he told her that Heather Casper had apparently moved out of her husband?s estate, but she didn?t remark on it.

And though she had been expecting it to happen, she still frowned a little when Robert told her that she had been assigned to work the case with him. She would have hoped that she could talk to Robert and Amy before that decision was made?Kareen knew that by telling them about the affair, she ran the risk of getting pulled off the case, if Amy suspected that she might let her emotions get in the way of her doing her job.

?I?m tired. Very tired. So wherever you want to go, just tell me,? Robert said, taking a seat in one of the chairs.

For a moment, Kareen was tempted to take him up on it, to just get started with the investigation, to wait to tell them.

But she knew that if she put it off now, she might lose her nerve later on, and she would never get it over with. She had spent the entire morning, from the time she got out of bed to the minute she walked into the station, steeling herself for the discussion to come. It was now or never.

?Actually, Robert, I need to speak to you and Amy about something first.?

Tag: spycoder

25. spycoder9

Jul 23, 2008

?Um. . .okay.?

[b]Robert[/b] left the room, expecting [b]Kareen[/b] to follow him. He waited a couple of minutes until [/b]Elizabeth[/b] left [b]Amy?s[/b] office with a worried expression. It seemed to capture everyone?s emotions.

Then he led her inside with a sharp knock.

?Chief??

?Yes, Robert.? Amy asked from her desk. She rubbed her eyes as she laid down her phone.

?Kareen said she had something to tell us. Thought I might as well do what she wants. She wouldn?t stop bothering me until I did.?

Robert smirked as he stared at Kareen. It had been meant to be a playful joke on the most depressing day at the station.

[b]TAG: Anne[/b]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.