main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Darkest before the Dawn (JA)--Trailer For Sequel NOW UP!!!!!! Edited/tweaked 3/12 evening.

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by JediKnight-Obi-Wan, May 25, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. juwannajedi

juwannajedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 23, 2000
    yes, what lina said.

poor meri....

:(

2. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    Come on Alex- talk to her! Keep posting more epilougues JKOW. It's like the story never ended. :)

3. JediKnight-Obi-Wan

JediKnight-Obi-Wan Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 13, 2000
    I should only have one more left. :D

And that coming rather soon. Then I might be cajoled into posting a teaser for the sequel...which I'll now reveal the name of...

~~~That Which Is Remembered~~~

4. JediKnight-Obi-Wan

Jan 13, 2000
    Okay, here is the last post of Darkest Before the Dawn. It's been wild, folks. I hope it's been enjoyable. I'd love to hear any and all feedback on the piece as a whole.

|========|-------------------------->

Obi-Wan was on his way to meet his Master when a voice behind him in the corridor hailed him. Recognizing Master Arieh?s voice, the padawan stopped, folding his hands into his robe sleeves as he turned to face the Master.

He had to hide his surprise at the sight of the Jedi Master. Alex didn?t look well at all. He looked despaired.

?Master Arieh,? he greeted dipping his head in the essence of a bow.

?Obi-Wan,? the knight greeted the padawan in a tired tone. ?I just needed to ask, have you seen Meri??

?No, Master. I have not seen her since our return.?

The knight?s head bowed in defeat, his shoulders slumped. Tiredly he rubbed a hand across his temples and then back through his hair. ?I can?t find her,? he admitted softly. ?I can?t even sense her at all.?

Obi-Wan looked with concern at the Jedi before him. ?If I see her, I will tell her you?re looking for her.?

Alex sighed. ?Thank you, Obi-Wan.? With those words he departed and continued on down the hall, his steps heavy.

Obi-Wan looked after him, his brown furrowed in thought for long moments. Someone needed to speak with Meri; she didn?t even see what she was doing. Even if he had approved of how Alex had treated Meri back on Caldeena, he knew they needed to talk. As well as for Meri?s benefit as Alex?s. Closing out his surroundings, Obi-Wan concentrated hard on trying to get a sense of his friend. Finally he received a flicker.

Master, Obi-Wan contacted the older Jedi through the Force.

Yes, Padawan?

Can I meet with you later? It?s very important I speak to Meri. I?ll explain later.

There was a sense of curiosity from Qui-Gon, but he only answered, Very well, Obi-Wan.

Immediately Obi-Wan turned on his heel and headed toward the presence he had sensed.

He found her on a secluded observation deck, a few floors up and approached rapidly.

?Meri, Alex is looking for you,? he offered as he stopped beside her.

?I don?t want to speak to him,? she answered tonelessly.

Obi-Wan?s lips tightened. ?Meri,? he wasn?t even sure how to begin. ?I?ve just seen him?I think you should talk to him.? He watched his friend closely as he said this, but she only shivered as though she were cold.

He glanced away from her and began, his voice soft. ?I don?t think you see what you?re doing to him, Meri,? he sensed her head snap up at his words, but he didn?t look at her. ?He feels a failure as a Master. No, he didn?t say as much,? he admitted. ?But it was in his actions. He?s a Jedi Master to a padawan he can?t sense and isn?t even on speaking terms with. It?s eating him, Mer. Is that what you want? Do you want to make him suffer??

He looked at her then, but she wouldn?t look at him. She kept her head down and faced slightly away. He sighed.

?Well, I just thought you should know that,? he said quietly, and then paused.

?I have to meet Qui-Gon. Please, Meri, for his sake and your own, talk to Alex,? with those words he turned and silently left.

Meri shuddered again as his footsteps faded away, until she was once again alone. Her vision swam and she dropped mutely to the floor, her legs no longer having the strength to hold her up.

Obi-Wan?s words echoed in her head and she shook it slightly as though to clear it. Alex thought he was a failure?

Tears begin to form in her eyes. No matter what she did, she always hurt him; even if it was the last thing she wanted to do. Even though it was the one thing she vowed to avoid at all cost.

Wrapping her arms around her knees, she rested her head atop them, allowing her tears to fall. Squinting her eyes shut, she gradually dropped the shields she had erected around her mind that kept Alex from sensing her and she from sensing him. She had to know if what Obi-Wan said was true.

His emotions hit her like a physical blow. She r

5. JediKnight-Obi-Wan

Jan 13, 2000
  6. Healer Apprentice Lina

Healer Apprentice Lina Jedi Master star 4

Jun 1, 2000
    Up up and awaaaaay

7. JediKnight-Obi-Wan

Jan 13, 2000
    Come on you stupid thing, UP!

8. JediKnight-Obi-Wan

Jan 13, 2000
    One more time, common.

9. mouse2

mouse2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 1999
    That was an outstanding final post to a wonderful story JKOW!!

I was so happy to see Meri and Alex being able to comfort each other.

Now I'm really looking forward to your next story!!! :D :D :D

10. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Oh my... missed the terrific post form the 4th.

My heart so went out to Alex at his statement of being punishement for something he has no clue to. *sigh* Listen to An-Paj though...

A sequel???? YAY!!!!!

That was such a sad end... yes perhaps they can work things out but her thoughts that she'll be knighted in a few years and can put Alex behind her.... that leaves me in tears.

A superb story all around JKOW!!! Can't help but have high hopes for a reconciliation in the sequel with a title like "That Which is Remembered".

11. Jane Jinn

Jane Jinn Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 12, 2000
    ACK! That's the last post? That's almost worse than a cliffhanger! It's so sad! She loves him but now she's realising it can never be, and she's looking forward to the time when she can put Alex behind her? NOO!

How can we be excited about this hug when we see what a sacrifice it is for Meri?

Poor Alex! He still doesn't get it. He probably never will, not unless Meri actually tells him everything from day one. Will they ever have that talk? Somehow, I don't think so. He'll never fall in love with her again on his own, will he, just turn around one day and realise there's something about Meri? What a tragedy.

I've just been reading back through the first pages of this fic, and realised with a start that it's been almost two whole years since you started it. I'm not complaining, I know that there were things beyond your control, but I just wanted to say that I admire your patience and perserverance in finally finishing it!

Good writing!

12. juwannajedi

juwannajedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 23, 2000
    *SNIFF*

man alive, JKOW, there goes my makeup!!!

sheesh!

I demand a teaser!

13. starwarsfan1000

starwarsfan1000 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 21, 2000
  14. JediKnight-Obi-Wan

Jan 13, 2000
    Thank you, all very much! I loved the replies.

Healer Leona: Yes the title for the next story is an indication, but maybe not in the way you think. :D

Jane Jinn: Just remember you haven't really gotten an Alex POV on all this. I don't think you're giving him enough credit. ;) The sequel deals with all of that, though. i.e (Will they ever have that talk? Somehow, I don't think so. He'll never fall in love with her again on his own, will he, just turn around one day and realise there's something about Meri?) You'll just have to wait and see. :D Just remember I'm more a romantic at heart then anything else. Even though I have my evil side.

juwannajedi:I think a teaser is in order. That might really reveal some things. ;) Maybe even answer a few of these questions.

And a lot of you may not know, but this story was a really, really big challenge toward me as a writer. There were times when I just wanted to throw it all away and never finish it, but with you all reading it, it kept me going. Thanks again. :)

15. Jane Jinn

Jan 12, 2000
    Be still, my heart, there's HOPE! :D

16. PadawanKitara

Dec 31, 2001
    You are very cruel to your readers to leave us hanging with an ending like that. PLEASE WRITE A SEQUEL. Soon?

17. FurryDuck

FurryDuck Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2001
    *Stands and applauds*

That was such a good story! I don't really know what else to say. Extremely well written, great characters that every always loves to read about, and a great plot.

*Gives you a big trophy*
    Wonderful job!

18. JediKnight-Obi-Wan

Jan 13, 2000
    That Which Is Remembered

~~Fade to the inner chambers of the Jedi Council?~~

The sun sits on the Coruscant horizon casting it?s long rays onto a single figure.

"Kneel before the Council Padawan Irhanah." The voice of Master Windu was solemn.

Meri swept her long robe to the side and knelt down, then raised her eyes to meet those of the wise Master Yoda.

"Confer on you the level of Jedi Knight the Council does." Master Yoda spoke quietly and a serene smile was on his face. "Rise as a Jedi Knight, Meridith Irhanah."

~~Fade to scene of Jedi Knight Irhanah standing before Yoda in a quiet chamber.~~

Yoda peered up at her, his wise old eyes searching and his expression one of disapproval. After the few minutes in which the wizened Master searched her soul, he shook his head and a tenderness came into his eyes. "Get you no where running will."

Silence falls.

"Assigned a long term mission you will be?.?

~~Scene changes to a training hall. Meri sits close to Padawan Obi-Wan Kenobi.~~

"I'm leaving Ob-Wan.?

At first he didn't say anything, only stared at her, his blue-green eyes searching her face. "You?re going away? On a mission?"

She let out a breath. "Yes."

"How long Meri? How long are you going to be gone?" his voice held a note of apprehension as if he knew what she was about to say.

Averting her gaze to the floor she spoke softly. "A few years."

~~Fade to Obi-Wan standing facing Meri.~~

?Are you going to tell him??

"I can't," she whispered.

Obi-Wan sighed. "Meri, don't you think he deserves to be told?"

~~The Jedi Temple Landing Pad: Meri?s departure.~~

A hooded figured stepped out of the shadows to face Meri. Blue eyes met with brown, and a tense silence ensued.

"You were going to leave without telling me?"

"It's for the best, Master," she said huskily, fighting tears.

~~Scene changes to Alex facing Meri, hood thrown back.~~

I don't understand!" his voice rose slightly in his frustration.

A deep hum filled the early morning air as the transport that was to take her away arrived.

"I?m sorry," she said brokenly and entered the transport.

Four Years Later?

~~Blank screen lightens showing two figures embracing warmly.~~

Obi-Wan pulled back at last and brushed his friend?s full cheek softly with the back of his hand. ?You?ve changed, Meri,? he smiled in wonder.

She smiled back, eyeing his fledgling beard and the small figure standing a respectful distance away. ?So have you, my friend.?

~~Fade to scene of the crowded Jedi Temple cafeteria.~~

A stunned Alex Arieh stands amid countless beings, frozen in place by the sight of a ghost from his past.

Slowly he made his way over until he stood behind her, Obi-Wan's eyes flickered towards the Jedi Master.

"Meri?"

At the low inquiry, she turned. "Master Arieh," she dipped her head in greeting, waiting for him to speak. However he was finding the ability of speech had slipped away from him along with the floor under his feet.

The memory he'd had in his head of a young woman, still somewhat in the awkward stage wasn't the woman standing before him.

Underneath the dark green robe she wore, Meri was wearing a skintight maroon suit, with knee-high matching boots. Her lightsabre was clipped to her belt and the robe was kept from sliding off by a small cord of braided rope just below her neck.

The only thought that managed to struggle through his mind was that this wasn't his apprentice of old. He had the feeling he was talking to a perfect stranger...a stranger who he felt more than ever held the key to his past.

~~Fade to scene of Obi-Wan and Meri walking together.~~

"He's following me around like a lost cannoid! Why won't he leave me alone?" Meri let out a frustrated breath.

A small, wry smile laced the younger Jedi?s lips. "Perhaps it is because he senses in you the answers he has long sought. Or perhaps you only see it that way because you are afraid."

~~Scene fades to black then fades

19. Rani Veko

Rani Veko Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 22, 2000
    Wow, nice teaser! I'm especially intrigued by the snippet with Alex's voice and only a blank screen...

Looks like it will definately be worth reading, JKOW, if it's anything like your work with this story.

- Rani

20. Jane Jinn

Jan 12, 2000
    I'll second that! This will definitely be worth reading! A four year mission, and Meri comes back changed just enough to catch Alex's interest a second time? Can't wait! When are you going to start posting?

21. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Oh my!!!! What A teaser!!!!! Does this mean the story is completely written?? I hope this is posted soon...like now!!!!

22. JediKnight-Obi-Wan

Jan 13, 2000
    Thanks all. :)

Rani, what about that statement is intrigueing? Who he's speaking, to or just the nature of the statement? :D

Jane, she comes back more than just a little changed, but I can't give everything away. :D ;) Something happens during those four years rather big.

Healer Leona, hee :D No, it's not compeletely written, but I have a good layout for up to those four years, some half written post, that need revising.

So yall don't think I should wait until I finish The Long and Winding Road?

:D

23. JediKnight-Obi-Wan

Jan 13, 2000
    Up and away. Those of you've who've already read it, might want to go back and look at the last few paragraphs. I er.. [face_devil] Added something I'd forgotten.

24. PadawanKitara

Dec 31, 2001
    JKOW- I'll say you added something [face_laugh]

25. Jane Jinn

Jan 12, 2000
    Shockingly blond hair? I'll say you've added something! ACK!

Calm down, Jane, calm down. There's a rational explanation for this somewhere. Okay, JKOW forgot something else, yes, that's it.

JKOW, you forgot to add the part where Alex is looking contemplatively at a bottle of hair dye! ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.