main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

" Darkest Hour, Brightest Hope"JA1**3/29*END OF BOOK 1 !!!!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by ewen, Feb 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ewen

ewen Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 11, 2001
    Italics denotes mind speech or thought.

Time period: JA book 1

Qui-Gon Jinn doesn?t take Obi-Wan as his apprentice, but the force wants him too so *it* forms a tentative bond between them. Jinn refuses that bond.

I wrote this a long time ago and just knocked the dust off it!!!

#######################

Master Jinn broke into a smile as soon as he stepped into the transport that was to carry him to his next mission. There in front of him was his dearest friend, Master Mace Windu. It had been since the last Padawan Choosing, a month ago since the two spoke.

?Mace, I am delighted to finally be on a mission with you. I heard that after I left Coruscant, having decided not to take a padawan, you did the unbelievable and took one yourself. I assume I will get to meet him. Back to field missions again!!!?

?Yes of course. AHH.. here he is now.?

Out of the back stepped the all-to-familiar face of the boy Master Jinn turned down as his padawan, Obi-Wan Kenobi. His deep sea-colored eyes had haunted the master many nights since turning him down as his apprentice.

The smile he had for his old friend did not extend to his padawan. A frown burrowed deeply into the master?s brow. Mace knew Jinn was not happy at his choice of apprentices? and was probably less happy to find out he had been thrown into a mission with him. Mace had only taken the child as an apprentice as a favor to Yoda. Yoda assured him it would be temporary and now Mace knew why. Either Jinn would end up taking him or the child would be sent to the Argricorps.

Mace was all too aware that as of yet he and Obi-Wan had not formed a training bond. They couldn?t, Obi-Wan could never form a bond with any master until the fledgling bond he carried within him was broken. He shared a bond with Qui-Gon Jinn. They both knew it, felt it through the force, but Master Jinn had taken it upon himself to stop the bond. He did not want a padawan and certainly not this one.

Jinn solemnly nodded salutations to Kenobi and turned his attentions back to Mace much too abruptly. It was a direct dismissal of the boy and left no room for questioning its motive. He wanted nothing, absolutely nothing to do with this *one*.

?May I speak with you in private Master Windu??

All so serious and proper he is. I suppose the bantha poo doo is going to hit the fan, now. Can I help it if Master Yoda is working overtime to get my stubborn friend from being so willy-nilly and accept what was meant to be his; this padawan to train for Jedi knighthood.

?I suppose I have my former master, Yoda to thank for this? Am I right??

?You know I wouldn?t have had the nerve to spring this on you my old friend, without that little green codger behind it all..?

?Well it is not going to work. Padawan Kenobi seems to compliment you well Mace. You keep him.?

?I am afraid that after this mission, I will have to insist the council send Obi to Bandomeer unless something between us miraculously happens. You see, we can not form a bond as long as one already exists. You know as well as I do that the force its self has chosen this boy for you and I don?t think it is going to let you forget it.?

?No, it will be the child you will not be able to forget, because the council will be forced to send him to Bandomeer. Under no condition do I want this one as my apprentice. I saw how he battled the Chun boy. I witnessed his all-out attack on Bruck Chun fueled by his immense anger and not as one of defense.?

?Funny how two of us ,so much alike, saw things differently that day. I saw a boy fighting for a place as an apprentice. I saw a determined child who wanted to defeat his opponent to prove himself worthy of apprenticeship. You, you saw what you wanted to see, what you have looked for ever since Xanatos turned, *anger*. He is not Xanatos, of that I am sure.?

?As sure as I was about Xanatos, Mace? Maybe he has the capabilities that Xani possessed to hide his true nature. I managed to see a glint of it in the way he fought. You and Master Yoda

2. Aunecah_Skywalker

Aunecah_Skywalker Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 25, 2002
    Oh my! Obi is Mace's Padawan now? *Whistles* I bet Obi-Wan would have a better life with Mace even without the bond than he would with Qui-Gon with the bond. [face_plain] (And knowing you, that probably will be what it's like. :D)

I promise, ewen - I'll be a faithful reader and post a reply time - (almost) - every time you post a post and I read it. No going away in the middle and lurking (pardon the horrribly worded sentence here). :)

I hope I'm the first. *Prays that nobody beat her to it*

EDIT: I AM the first. :D Wow.

Anyway, I know I forgot to add something in my hurry ... Oh yeah! Qui-Gon. Well he's acting like the Mr. Buckethead that he is in the movies and most fanfics that I read. We can only hope that he's going to continue to be a Buckethead until the very end at which point a sudden horrible epiphany descends upon him and he realizes that he's been acting horribly toward Obi-Wan, at which point, of course, Obi-Wan is going to be kidnapped by some slavers or pirates and is in a life-and-death situation. [face_shocked] A rambling sentence? You bet!

Aunecah

3. jedi7

jedi7 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 8, 2002
    I'm destined to be hooked to your stories, do you add something to the type ewen. :) 7

4. ewen

ewen Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 11, 2001
    Aunecah Hey we don't need slavers or pirates or even Sidious to create mayhem for the *Dynamic Duo*, Xanatos will be in this story, ever waiting to spoil Jinn's Jedi life of perfection!!

PEACE ewen

5. Aunecah_Skywalker

Mar 25, 2002
    True enough, I suppose. Though Obi-Wan would probably manage to get himself hanging over an eruptable volcano even without Xanatos :confused:

Aunecah

6. Jedi_Suzuran

Jedi_Suzuran Jedi Knight star 5

May 22, 2002
    Yay, another ewen story. :D

Nice to see that Qui-Gon is being stubborn. AGAIN! :p

What else can we expect from our favorite Jedi master? :p

7. NyghtFyre

NyghtFyre Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 14, 2002
    Oooh, I like it! Great start ewen! I look forward to reading more. Hmmm, Obi and Mace- I kind of like that combo, even though I know he is destined to be with Master "Buckethead" (it is so fun calling him that!)

8. ewen

ewen Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 11, 2001
    If you read this and want a post tomorrow let me know.

PEACE ewen

9. ewen

ewen Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 11, 2001
    Obi-Wan was just as cautious as Master Jinn was about keeping his distance from the master he once held to almost idol worship catagory. Others that heard of Xanatos? turn to the dark side blamed the master and not the apprentice. A great many of the padawans hadn?t even wanted to be chosen by the great Jinn. Oh Chun wanted it and wanted it badly. Kenobi knew it was not very Jedi-like but he was glad the white-haired boy hadn?t been chosen by the master but neither had he.

No matter how much one desires something, Obi-Wan had learned at an all too young a age you don?t always get what you want. *Sith*, Obi-Wan wasn?t even going to get one little thing he wanted. He wanted Master Jinn as a master, didn?t get it, he wanted to become a Jedi knight more than he valued his own life and that would not happen either.

The child had worked hard trying to form a bond with his current master. He liked Master Windu and thought him almost Jinn?s equal, but still the chemistry just wasn?t there. More importantly a training bond necessary between master and apprentice just would not form. It couldn?t, it didn?t have room because of the bond threatening with Master Jinn.

Threat is about all the bond with him can do. Master Jinn will never relent and give into letting me his apprentice. If he doesn?t want me, in turn I do not wish to train under him. I guess a farmer won?t be so bad, once I get use to the fact my dreams have been stomped out by the force its self by its ignored demand Master Jinn take a padawan he doesn?t want. That?s not fair to him or me

Obi-Wan meant what he just said to himself, but oh how hard it was to realize his knighthood chance was dwindling with each passing day. No matter what Master Mace thought of him, he could not in good faith train a child with no bond between them. Never heard of and never been done in Jedi history.. No, Obi-Wan Kenobi was like a ship with no port to haul anchor.

#############

Mace and Qui-Gon were both more than surprised to see Xanatos on the public landing port waiting on the Jedi.

?Master Jinn you can?t believe how excited I was to here of your arrival.?

?I am sure Xanatos. Though you might not like the reason we are here.?

Jinn could not keep his eyes from the dark mysterious ones of his former apprentice, with his matching long jet-black hair. Even more coordinated was his dark aura to match his overall dark appearance.

?I know well of why you are here. As long as you don?t step on my toes, I won?t step on yours. Master Windu forgive me, it is a delight to see you as well.?

Mace rolled his eyes as he turned to face Xanatos.

?I hardly believe that one Xani, but I will take your word for it.?

It was then that Xanatos saw another Jedi with them.

?Master Jinn, you have taken an apprentice, how lovely???

?He is not my apprentice. He is Mace?s, he deserves the congratulations not I.?

?I think you are wrong. Do you try to confuse and lie to me already??

?You know the Jedi Xani and we do not lie. This is Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi apprentice to Master Windu.?

?I feel a bond between you and he, but not between Mace and the child. You must remember Qui-Gon, had you not wanted to keep me out so totally, you could still feel a tendril of our bond, as I do. I welcome it. It makes me feel secure at times to remember the bond we once shared.?

It was Mace who spoke next.

?We will have to remember you left the Jedi, the force never left you. I imagine you can still feel a great many things, even disturbances through the force.?

?Oh, I am quite inept at knowing some of the workings of the force of good. It?s hard to be cut out of something that was once you entire soul..?

?Well to set things straight, the child is my apprentice. No, I don?t have a bond with him, yet. I don?t think I need to go into the reasons with you Xanatos. In fact, I think there is a need to discuss *my* apprentice at all.?

?No reason necessary Master Windu. Like I said I am still somewhat in tune with the living force. I know Qui-Gon ha

10. NyghtFyre

Oct 14, 2002
    Oooh...now we get Obi and Xani! *sigh* Nice post ewen! Hey Xani- I want to hear all the grim stories about Master Buckethead- please? :)

11. ewen

ewen Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 11, 2001
    I think I will put this story back in the files to gather a little ore dust.

I am not getting any feedback so I assume no one is interested in another Qui/Obi/Xani story.

Maybe later!!!

For those who did start the story thanx for reading!!!

PEACE ewen

12. Jedi_Suzuran

May 22, 2002
    Oh, you can't stop it there, ewen. I want to know more. :(

13. jedibear30

jedibear30 Jedi Master star 1

Aug 14, 2002
    just found this story ewen. don't you dare put it away. was looking for new stories and found this one. sorry took so long. was still reading your other story. more please

14. ewen

ewen Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 11, 2001
    If you read this post and enjoy it, push it up one so Iwill lknow you want it continued.

I posted a longer post to kinda get you nto the story a littl more. ewen

#############

The three Jedi waited in the large common room for Xanatos and his father to appear. They accepted a last-meal invitation to the Crion home in hopes of getting them to see things their way when it came to negotiating the trade agreement which would start tomorrow. Mace was a lot more optimistic than Qui-Gon. He said they needed to at least try to make the Crions, especially Xani see what it would mean for Telos. Inter- trade between planets was the only way to survive and more importantly the people on Telos to thrive financially. The Crions were only worried about one families? financial gain, their own. They had no wish to expand imports only to increase the exports. They wanted the people totally dependant on their wealth and prosperity.

?Mace you know as well as I do this will not work. Xanatos just as much as said so the day he met with us.?

?We have to try Qui-Gon. Even you know that as a diplomat we have to try everything.. I think seeing Xani has clouded your decision-making processes.?

?Are you saying I am not capable of handling this mission??

?No, I am saying you are starting to let Xani get to you and you might not be willing to act in you official diplomatic capacity if that happens. Chill out old man. We can get through this.?

?Yes well another thing, you letting the child run all over the city is not wise.?

?He is not a child, he is my apprentice and I will do with him as I choose. There is nothing in the city that can hurt him.?

"So sure are you Mace? He shares no link with you. He couldn?t contact you if he did get into trouble. Besides I wouldn?t trust the length Xanatos would be willing to go to see things went his way during these negotiations. He could use Obi-Wan as a pawn in his plan, if he wants to be his most devious.?

?Now Qui-Gon I know you are angry over Xani leaving the Jedi and what you perceive as turning his back on you, but I have not known him of wantonly hurting anyone especially a young person. He seemed to genuinely like Obi-Wan when they met. Maybe you are just afraid he might tell some embarrassing moments in your life.?

Mace always tried to keep Jinn in a good mood. He took things in a better perspective when it came to living life. He truly believed that the only thing Xani really did was to choose not to be a Jedi; something Jinn could never forgive him for. No one had yet to see the treacherous side of Xanatos Crion although Jinn more than anyone else was beginning to suspect an evil side he had.

Obi-Wan sat and said nothing. Which had become his common practice when being around Master Jinn. Mace noticed it but didn?t think he should say anything. He was afraid Qui-Gon might get onto the child and he would have to correct his old friend. Although it would not be for long, Obi-Wan was his apprentice and he would do with him as he thought was right.

I know he belongs with Qui-Gon, but if he won?t take him then Obi-Wan apprenticeship will be short lived; only until this mission then to Bandomeer.

?I am just saying you should keep a closer on the child, that is all.?

?Excuse me Master Jinn but as my master has already stated I am not a child, I am a Jedi apprentice. You did not choose me to be your padawan and I certainly don?t plan to listen to anything you tell me.?

It was totally out of character, since Mace took the boy as his apprentice to hear any words of disprespect come from him. Mace was more than taken aback by Obi?s remarks.

?Padawan that?s enough. We will discuss your behavior once we have returned to our dwelling. Until then I don?t think we need you to interrupt our conversation. Is that understood??

Obi-Wan obediently bowed to his master, stuck his hands in his Jedi robe sleeves, and began his apologies.

?I beg your forgiveness Master and willingly accept any punishment you deem appropriate. I will rema

15. NyghtFyre

Oct 14, 2002
    ewen- I am glad that you did not give up on us! The last post was quite good. That Xani is a slick one- Obi needs to shut the door immediately, lock it, and throw away the key...but, that wouldn't be very interesting now would it? :) And what is this with Qui-Gon thinking Mace has "holes in his head?," Qui-Gon is the King of the "Buckethead" Masters, he's got more "holes" than any of them! ;)

I hope that you decide to continue with the story. Please? :D

16. Aunecah_Skywalker

Mar 25, 2002
    *Whew* manage to get back to this thread. :D No, ewen, don't stop this story. If you do, I'm personally going to hire a hacker, find out your home address (somehow), come with police and demand that you continue this. [face_plain] Okay, so maybe I won't, but you get the drift. :D

The last post was good. Xanatos is - well Xanatos. [face_mischief]

Aunecah

17. jedi7

jedi7 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 8, 2002
    Here's an UP :) will comment later. 7

18. ewen

ewen Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 11, 2001
  19. ewen

ewen Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 11, 2001
    Qui-Gon watched the door since the meeting started. Not until he saw the door swing open and his former apprentice walk through it did the master finally feel he could direct all attention on the treaty meeting. He was worried about Xani?s whereabouts. Nothing should have made him late for such an important gathering this day.

Qui-Gon tried not to face the facts, but as they were, he had no choice. He was worried for the apprentice left at their quarters. Not his apprentice, but Obi-Wan seemed to hold more concern for him than Mace had. Not that Mace did not care for his apprentice, he just wasn?t as mistrusting of Xanatos Crion as Master Jinn was.

Xanatos headed straight to where Jinn stood, one leg bent and braced against the back wall. The tall master had his arms crossed and resting on his chest. He only nodded a hello.

?Well have I missed anything Master Jinn??

?No, not yet but almost. We are just about to hear an accusation against your mining crew for mining something other than the quartz that is only allowed. The prime leader of the congress has proof of your wrongdoing Xanatos, know anything about it??

A raised black eyebrow and a questioning look appeared on Xani?s face before he smiled his almost notoriously famous but sinister smile.

?You know me Jinn. I would never do anything against the law. Skirt the edges maybe, but I never break the local authorities little requirements.?

?We shall see here in a awhile when they are ready to present the proof against you and your father. By the way where have you been?

?Oh you might say I have been out trying to right some wrongs and turn some lies into truths. Did you miss me??

?So you mean to say, you are sidestepping my question. Just like your old self aren?t you Xanatos? It was always so easy to pull the wool over others' eyes even mine to get them to believe the mistruths you spin. Not me at least, not any more. I know how treacherous and deceitful you can be.?

?Oh and you are so forth-right aren?t you Master?

Both stopped when they heard the rustling of noise to see another speaker get up to discus some unimportant matter and then they continued.

?You lie to yourself and you have destroyed a child?s life by not excepting what the force has for you. Why I wonder??

?Padawan Kenobi and our bond *WILL* not be laid out for dissection or discussion. It?s none of your business. See that it stays that way. I see so much of you in him, that it turns my stomach. I would rather leave the Jedi order than to go through the failure and disappointment of another arrogant righteous padawan. I watched the anger in the child when he fought. No, Obi-Wan should not have been chosen for me . Maybe a farmer?s life suits him better.?

?You don?t really believe that do you Jinn? I can feel the force emanate around the boy. He has power. Maybe untrained and raw with inexperience, but with your training, his power and any anger could be controlled. Maybe the anger you saw in him was not anger at all. Maybe it was the fear before the anger. You know Master Yoda always quotes fear leads to anger. Maybe Obi-Wan Kenobi had an inextinguishable fear of failing to become an apprentice. The pressure is a lot for us when we are young. Don?t you remember? No I suppose not the great Jinn who always had Yoda. You didn?t need to fear being turned out of apprenticeship. Just think Qui-Gon you may have pushed the boy over the brink of tolerance, maybe from *fear* to *anger* now; similar to what you did to me.? ?

?Why such a huge interest in such a little boy you don?t even know?

?I know him more than you do Master. After all he is a lot like me. He had his future stomped on by the same great Jedi master that destroyed mine. It?s too late to change my fate but is it too late for Obi-Wan??

With that Xan suddenly walked away from his former master to leave him with his thoughts and his guilt hopefully.

###Leaving the meeting######

Master Jinn didn?t walk out of the hall he stomped. Too say he was furious over the events of the day was

20. Jedi_Suzuran

May 22, 2002
    Oh geez, Qui's definetely at his worst here, ewen! :mad: :mad:

*smacks Qui*

21. Lurkalidth

Lurkalidth Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 5, 2003
    Hmm, if fear leads to anger and anger leads to hate, it looks like a *certain* Jedi master should be purchasing a new wardrobe and trading in his green 'saber for a red one.

This is an interesting twist. :)

22. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    *races onto thread panting* sorry took a left turn instead of a right turn at the last intersection and missed this fic- but I'm here now :)

23. ewen

ewen Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 11, 2001
    This story is hard to keep up!!

Thanx for posting guys and I hope there are others out there that are reading it.

PEACE ewen

24. KSkywalker

KSkywalker Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 7, 1998
    Uh...You're killing me here.. [face_blush] (I'm a big Qui-Gon fan.) Is there a light at the end of this long dark tunnel, or is this a story I should avoid? I can handle angst as long as there is a happy ending. ;)

25. ewen

ewen Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 11, 2001

Just then Mace in his own fit of anger barreled through the shut door.

?May I ask what is going on in here that concerns my apprentice??

Everyone held their silence for not one of them knew what to say that would not be a lie. Xanatos had no problem with lying so he spoke first.

?Nothing is going on with your padawan.. Qui-Gon is right here beside him to see to it no one harms him. Isn?t that right Qui? I was just showing Master Jinn some shipping forms signed and delivered and the child happened to still be in here. Don?t get yourself in a dither. I will try not to let my dark ways rub off on your apprentice. Although I don?t why you would care so much. He will only be your apprentice for awhile until this mission is finished. Technically without a bond to bind you two together I really don?t know how he could even be considered your true apprentice in the Jedi realm of things. Padawan Kenobi couldn?t be safer now could he Councilor Windu with his rightful master by his side? Oh excuse me I suppose I should address you as Master Windu. You are temporarily acting as Master to the boy. Is that what you call it, acting, a façade, or a ruse, anything you choose? However, you certainly can not mimic in true capacity, a Jedi master. A bond would be needed for that, a training bond, Oh wait Master Jinn has the training bond with Obi-Wan but he ignores its existence, thus refusing Obi-Wan, who in turn will become a farmer because of Jinn?s stubbornness. We all here know you are doing the child a great injustice by not allowing him to train under the master the force directed him too..?

Master Windu was fuming with Xanatos? very true assessment of Obi-Wan?s situation. Truth it was but neither Jedi master wanted to be reminded of it, especially by Xanatos Crion.

?If you are finished Xanatos we would like to go down to the fourth level of the mines. At least that is where we will start. I hope your winded speech about Obi-Wan is all that comes from you mouth concerning Obi-Wan. It is not your business what the Jedi do or who my apprentice or Master Jinn?s is.?

?Very well let?s go to the mines. Oh and Mace remember this; the one good thing I find not being a apprentice is the freedom to say what I want about who I want. So forgive me for being so blunt but I won?t have you tell me what I can and can not say, especially in my own office."

Xani let his black robe twirl dramatically as he turned to go the mines with the three Jedi.

Obi-Wan wanted to let out a small applause of some kind for Xani?s words. He put Master Jinn and Mace in their rightful place. Although Obi liked Mace he thought he always favored Master Jinn no matter whether he was right or wrong. Obi-Wan Kenobi thought in this, his apprenticeship and bond with Qui-Gon, the master was indeed in the wrong and Xani pointed that out to both Jedi masters..

Xanatos didn?t know what had come over him. He had developed a heart, feelings for this little padawan. He didn?t want him to wind up like him. Deep down Xani knew the reasons for him leaving the Jedi were truly not Jinn?s doing but he felt vindicated in some odd way by comparing himself to Obi-Wan. Both their destinies did change and because of one Jedi master Qui-Gon Jinn.

Nothing was found that day to incriminate the Crions of any wrongdoing. The Jedi left unsatisfied, at least the masters were. Obi-Wan felt a little better. His wrist didn?t hurt as bad even though Xani didn?t have time to fully heal Obi-Wan?s wrist and he liked that someone stood up for just him. Even Master Windu put stipulations on his defense of Obi-Wan to Qui-Gon.

######That evening in the Crion home###########

"Well Xanatos seems like everything went more than alright today with the Jedi. Nothing was discovered that would prove we are mining anything other than quartz. However the other really pleasing event is the boy starting to dote on you like you were some kind of older brother. I have someone already willing and ready to do whatever is necessary to the child if need be."

Xani turned

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.