main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Darkest , Worst, Horrible, and most Gut-wrenching moments of the EU

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Charlemagne19, Jan 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Another one of those pleasant little threads that I'm so fond of.

1. Luke kneels before the Emperor

It's really an iconic image. The Emperor has successfully managed to figure out the keys to Luke's pure soul, corrupt him through the love of the galaxy that he possesses. It's a sure sign that the entire world is utterly kriffed.

2. Ben Skywalker asks what was so bad about the Empire.

Luke Skywalker has arguably been through more shavit than quite a few real world veterans. Very few fictional heroes have lives as filled with violence, struggle, and horror as the Hero of Yavin. By the time Luke Skywalker is sixty years old, he's certainly earned the rest and relaxation of a world that understands his accomplishments are worthy of respect.

And then Ben says that the Next generation doesn't really see what was so important about him struggling and fighting for. It reminded me somewhat of my Great Uncle's reaction to seeing Neo-Nazis in Central Park. The shame and horror was just too sad to imagine.

3. Jacen Solo sits by as his mother takes a beating

This, combined with 4, are the two worst moments of Jacen Solo the Hero in the Expanded Universe. I think this moment, while ultimately where Jacen rejects his procrastination and saves Leia is one that caused many people to turn against the character. The idea that he would actually hold back from aiding his own mother is like the opposite of the typical superhero refrain "With Great power comes Great Responsibility."

It helped set up a character that cared nothing for the galaxy. Frankly, I found the moment unbelievable as well with Scrappy Leia reduced to a Damsel in Distress. The brutality of the act of Tsavong Lah made me hate him forever.

4. Jacen Solo orders Anakin not to fire Centerpoint

I think this moment helped turn people against Jacen Solo. It was a military disaster on an unprecedented scale with countless Hapans dying and so many Yuuzhan Vong being killed. Simply put, until this point, heroes didn't SCREW UP like this. The fact that it could have been a great victory in a very dark story was what helped make the moment so utterly powerful.

5. The Death of Mara Jade

The fight between Jacen Solo and Mara Jade was something that should never have occurred in the EU. The fall of a Second Skywalker invalidates Return of the Jedi more than Dark Empire ever could have hoped to. But the scene was, nevertheless, beautifully handled. Jacen Solo as the Self-Styled Dark Lord of the Sith is face to face with a Relative determined to stop his evil. However, after his cheaply gained victory, his only thought is that Mara somehow allowed him to cheat out the fact he intended to murder his own children or apprentice (that he'd raised like a son for 5 years) if he couldn't kill her.

Mara Jade's summation of Jacen's character was wonderful. "You're worse than he ever was?"
    "Who?" Jacen's response showed his utter ignorance of his own deeds.
    "Palpatine."
    Palpatine never loved or was loved, so yes....Jacen was worse than he ever was.

Reverse favorites threads are... still favorites threads! :p Though maybe we will run a contest one day...

2. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Cade turns in Hosk to the Sith

As I read that Legacy issue and I saw that scene, I couldn't believe what I was reading. Hosk, who we've never seen do anything bad, is given to Rav by none other than a Skywalker. Even as Hosk asks for mercy, Cade just smiles. One of the few scenes that genuinely made me angry towards a Star Wars character. (Of course, this is before we see Cade make a transformation).

3. QuinineVos

QuinineVos Jedi Master star 3

Jun 16, 2005
    Most gut-wrenching: pretty much all of "The Battle of Jabiim."

4. Jedi_Hall

Jedi_Hall Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 30, 2007
    When Ton Pahan dies in Iron Fist. With one phrase "still up there", Alliston manages to sum up damn near the whole of what it means to fight for the good fight.

5. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    9. The Blasted Remains of Coruscant

I liked the visual reminder of the Empire's evil. The Rebellion, for all it's being decried as terrorists, took extra careful measure to keep Coruscant intact. The Empire, we see did nothing of the sort and immediately started tearing apart the entire planet in their futile battles for supremacy of the Galaxy. I hate Coruscant, but the devastation seems truly beyond imagination.

10. The Destruction of Tarsis

I always liked this moment as Darth Malak showed just what sort of being he was. I wish the Empire could have more actions like this, but then again....some people didn't get the point after Alderaan.

6. Beskargirl

Beskargirl Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 2, 2007
    Anakin Solo's death on the Myrkr worldship. From the injury recieved in protecting his sister, to his battle to stay alive as the mission fell apart around him and so many of his friends and peers died, to the final goodbyes to his siblings and the kiss that Tahiri would never truly give him, all led up to a single event that would forever leave the EU a darker place. As Anakin's body burned away with sheer power and he threw the detonator that destroyed the tissue samples the Vuzhhan Vong needed to continue creating their Jedi-hunting Voxyn beasts, in that moment, all the hope and promise I saw in the Jedi Order crumbled and burned. Chewbacca's death had only bought him time. Anakin Solo, rising star of the Jedi order, had fallen. The repurcussions of his death were almost as gut-wrenching. Leia feeling his death in the way only a mother could. Han blasting every object in his apartment in a futile act of rage. Luke Skywalker sorrowfully accepting that his nephew had died carrying out his orders. The trauma and shock felt by Tahiri, the anger felt by Jaina, the...surprisingly little...felt by Jacen. It all adds up to one of the darkest moments I've ever read in Star Wars.

7. KissMeImARebel

KissMeImARebel Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Leia being reduced to a plot device (and in such a violent way) was a real low point, especially for such a great female character. It offends me as a woman.

Anakin Solo's Death is probably the only event that I'd put on a best and worst list. It was a great scene, and the emotions it draws on ripple through the EU....but it was also a horrible, horrible mistake. It's one thing to watch a hero die, it's another if he's your only potential torch bearer in long continuing series.

8. Lumiyas_Head

Lumiyas_Head Jedi Master star 2

Jul 10, 2007
    Elegos A'Kla's death was probably one of the most horrific moments in the EU for me. It wasn't a death that threw the Force into darkness or light, it was a simple death that was orchestrated by the Yuuzhan Vong and showed just how cruel some of their warriors could be. Then, sending his remains all jeweled up to Corran. He knew the consequences and he willing accepted his fate. For me, Elegos' sacrifice was very powerful...even though none of the knowledge he gained helped anyone.

9. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Mara's Death
    For a character I really didn't even like I really felt moved that we'd lost a mother and wife that we knew so well, a character which was so important to Ben and Luke.

Also Thrawn's Death, though only from a fanboy perspective. I wish he had fifteen novels instead of three, well four plus a short story. but only three before we knew he died.

10. ThrawnRocks

ThrawnRocks Jedi Master star 6

Apr 10, 2004
    Han and Leia's reaction to Anakin's death. I find that often death in literature is no where near as gut-wrenching as the characters' reactions to the death.

11. KnightDawg

KnightDawg Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 26, 2007

The death of Chewbacca. There was zero reason for it and it didn't add anything to the that storyline.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.