main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Darksaber - Thoughts on this?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Erkan12, Dec 14, 2014.

1. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    I'm curious to see how Sabine gets it. That will be an interesting story for sure.

I would also love some media showing the fall of the Old Republic, and the Viszla capturing the Darksaber.

Darth Basin likes this.
  2. The Mirificus

The Mirificus Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 25, 2015
    I think Sabine's going to claim it off of the leader of the Imperial Mandalorians. interesting to guess if she acquired it "fairly" through single combat or defeated the leader via trickery or Ezra's help. The dark-colored rocks in the background when she is holding the blade could be a match for those at the beginning of the S3 clip, when that leader is trying to get her to submit. Her expression of wonderment implies that this image in this setting is her first time with that weapon. I would assume that the Imperial Mandalorians are former Death Watch members, as Ezra calls them her "evil cousins'... Perhaps not cousins per se, but members of her clan and related ones. Goes along with my earlier thoughts that when Sabine said that "the Empire" happened to her parents, that could mean her parents were alive and serving the Empire vs. killed by the Empire.

I highly doubt this would happen, but the Darksaber is a great candidate for a TFA-style montage of where this weapon's been. You could get its crafting, the Jedi temple invasion with Old Republic Viszla, the rise and fanaticism of Death Watch, a couple of images from Maul's coup and the rebirth of the Mandalorian Army, and a couple teaser images from SOM and the Imperial takeover of Mandalore.

Darth Basin likes this.
  3. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    I don't think this fella would take kindly to any usurpers...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    But Maul does not even have the sword anymore.

5. The Shadow Emperor

The Shadow Emperor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 29, 2012
    I think it's quite fitting for the sword to be passed on from father to daughter.

[face_mischief]

Darth Basin likes this.
  6. Sixes

Sixes Jedi Master star 2

Apr 5, 2016
    Wait are you saying Maul is Sabine's DAD!!!! OMG!!!!

Darth Basin and vncredleader like this.
  7. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    That explains her love of color patterns.

8. The Shadow Emperor

The Shadow Emperor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 29, 2012
    What, you can't see the resemblance?

[​IMG]

9. RemusPo

RemusPo Jedi Youngling

Jul 14, 2016
    Oh lord, now people are going to start writing Rook Kast x Darth Maul fanfiction.

Darth Basin likes this.
  10. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    Maybe the Darksaber is Maul's Excalibur-like plot device that drives the characters, like Rey seeks out & gives back Anakin's lightsaber to Luke in TFA. Could be something for the end of the season. Or alternatively Filoni just wants her to have the sword, because its his girl and she has to be great because thats the way he wants it. Finding and/or fighting over the sword is one thing, but to challenge and defeat the wielder of the sword to become ruler of Death Watch and Mandalore is quite another. Actually the Darksaber really didnt have any meaning in TCW when Maul challenged Pre, it was not for the sword, it was just to prove who was the better warrior and the one to emerge the victor would rule. The Darksaber, it was just an added bonus. The EU established a lot of lore surrounding it and Pre's family, not so much if at all the actual cartoon canon series. Perhaps Filoni likes plucking from the EU, but its not really the same thing. Maul more made the Darksaber the symbol and rallying call of Death Watch after he snatched the fallen blade and held it up high and made his proclamation.

Darth Basin likes this.
  11. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    Well, as a warrior culture, I'm guessing there's a certain prestige to possessing the saber, since it was taken from the Jedi Temple, and the Mandalore art seems to suggest significance to their war with the Jedi.

For someone like Vizsla to possess the blade is probably a fitting symbol for someone trying to reclaim the warrior ways. When Maul got it, I think it became a symbol of prestige for the ruler of Mandalore. When Sabine gets it, I'm guessing it will be like a right of passage/sign of legitimacy.

Filoni has called attention to the fact that something happened that caused Sabine to be a bounty hunter and Imperial and leave her clan. Given how she gets treated for being of house Vizsla, I'm guessing maybe her clan might have been dishonored/excommunicated.

I'm thinking something akin to Worf in Star Trek who is a descendant of a dishonored Klingon house and joins Starfleet though later gets recognized by the Klingon Empire.

I feel like Sabine might have a similar journey, that she is dishonored (or her clan/house were), and that her arc will find her acquiring the dark saber and restoring her clan and earning the respect of the other Mandalorians.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Darth Basin likes this.
  12. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    Could be. Well if its to reclaim the sword, it could be to restore her family's honor, or whatever concept of it she has. However Pre was a bloodthirsty warrior and routinely murdered unarmed people just because he could, neither he nor Death Watch or even the war culture of old Mandalore could be considered good nor all that particularly different than the Sith or assorted pirates and slavers. Is she aware of what Pre was, does she care, or is she like a complete do-gooder out to restore honor to her family that evil Pre tarnished?! Plus his hatred for the Jedi goes back all the way to days of the Old Republic. Supposedly many Jedi fell by that blade while it was in his family's possession. So isnt likely the Dark Side surrounds that weapon or is attracted to it. IS Sabine a Force sensitive?! So for me its really hard to understand why Sabine gets along with Jedi or even the Republic, since this was certainly not the case presented in TCW. The idea of Sabine being an agent is kinda appealing but in earnest I would be very surprised if Filoni makes Sabine somewhat questionable or even go the distance into turning her into a villain. I don't think he's above retconning his own canon for Mandalorians now that Lucas left he could add or subtract . But its possible, but unlikely as of now, maybe he'll play with her motives and allegiances but I don't really think he'd align her with chaotic evil. Supposedly Kanan helps train her how to use the sword, so I would imagine she hangs onto it for a time. If the sword is more like the deadman's gun, then its just kinda twilight zone plot, am not that keen on that myself to be truthful.

Darth Basin likes this.
  13. Conkhead_12

Conkhead_12 Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 28, 2016
    Thoughts? How did they made it

Darth Basin likes this.
  14. The Mirificus

The Mirificus Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 25, 2015
    Sooooo... part of the prestige of the Darksaber (as presented by Pre, at least) is that it was taken from Jedi. The implication being that Mandalorians are such super-awesome warriors that they can even defeat Jedi. With Sabine, it has passed into the hands of someone who has befriended Jedi. I could easily see some of the other Mandalorians taking issue with this, and Sabine having to explain that once she spent actual time with Hera's Jedi boyfriend, she realized Jedi can be okay (and the lack of a powerful Jedi Council helps, they can't be pushy in Galactic affairs anymore).

Darth Basin likes this.
  15. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    When Maul had it, it was because he defeated the previous owner (Vizsla) and Death Watch split between those that rejected Maul because he was an outsider and those that would follow him because he proved his right to lead through combat.

I don't know by what means Sabine will acquire it. Whether she will defeat the owner, have it gifted to her, or if she'll just stumble upon it in an unlikely place. But if it becomes a symbol of power or legitimacy, Sabine isn't exactly an outsider.

I can't imagine many would have any more of an issue with her paling around with a Jedi than they would pledging loyalty to Maul.

And I can't remember the context of the quote, but I thought the Jedi and Protectors fought side by side during the Siege of Mandalore according to Kanan(?)

The Jedi were all but wiped out. I can't see there being any glory in fighting them. I think they'd be tolerated.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Darth Basin likes this.
  16. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    Maybe somehow he left or lost the weapon after the chaos that engulfed the planet with the invasion. I guess the usual story stuff. The Mandalorians that fought alongside the Republic did so because they were a essentially mercenaries or auxiliary allies and were a warring faction that wanted to rule Mandalore, they wanted regime change. When we meet The Protectors they too serve the Empire willingly and had no love for Jedi and are forced into allying with the Rebels though their own honor code that forced Death Watch to serve Maul this time by Sabine who somehow is a superior warrior than Rau. major difference between this, was that Maul actually brought them to dominance through his co-leadership role and his grand plan and execution. Most of Pre's soldiers likely were aware that Maul was the engineer and brains of the outfit and the man responsible. He can deliver and has delivered them Mandalore after so many years in exile and dishonor. Maul also clearly restored their militaristic and war culture. Mandalore looked in full mechanization for a war effort against the Republic and the Separatists, the Jedi and the Sith. BY SOD Death Watch are clearly fanatically loyal to even devoted to him, and even return the Darksaber after they rescued their captured leader being held prisoner off world. That weapon could've easily been claimed by Almec or whatever Commando that stumbled upon it and they all could've quickly deteriorated into clan or tribal or individual battle, but they did not. I don't know what goes through the writers minds where they think they could ignore something they created , but SOD is canon, do they care what they write, I guess they have to.

I wouldnt be surprised if they had Maul's soldiers turn on him or him them, as thats usually the easiest way out writers use when they want change regardless of the facts. However, it appears Maul is still using his leader Death Watch vessel from SOD along with Death Watch hideout whether its the same one from that story or a similar base, but Maul still remembers and uses his Death Watch era stuff. So not clear right now whats going on. Maybe Maul was hangoing out there unbeknown and Sabine thought she could use that old base for a hangout as The Ghost seems parked inside, Sabine may or may not be aware who Maul is or was, and got captured by him.

I think those that sided with Bo-Katan did so out've loyalty to her, rather than any other reason. She quickly allied herself with Satine loyalists and later Kenobi and the Republic. She was bringing the war to Mandalore and for the first time the Republic, a very militaristic Republic with Jedi Knights to boot. I can't imagine her being very much liked. Bo-Katan despite zenophobia, ends up basically having outsiders rule Mandalore anyway, the Empire. She was clearly in love or infatuated with Pre and his cult of personality. At one point in the book 'Shadow Conspiracy" when she saw he was losing the battle against the superior warrior Maul she attempted to shoot Maul but was stopped by a fellow Death Watch warrior as that was against their tradition. Am not buying it that Ahsoka would all of a sudden work alongside Bo-Katan, both characters would be extremely artificially altered to fit the storyline they concocted and it would be more shoehorned that Ventress siding with Kenobi and turning her good or as near as good as could've gotten. Supposedly the Jedi would've granted her immunity for her crimes,lol.

Darth Basin and vncredleader like this.
  17. Sixes

Sixes Jedi Master star 2

Apr 5, 2016

Wait a minute....... Maul can’t be Sabine’s dad. :oops:He can't be anyone's dad.

[​IMG]

Darth Basin, vncredleader and CT1138 like this.
  18. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    Nothing is impossible with the Force, Anakin had no father... [face_devil]

Darth Basin likes this.
  19. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    Or simply adoptive father. Maul could've always cloned himself if he wanted. Lucas suggested for 170 years after ROTJ there could be a descendant or clone of Maul for the video game that was in development "Darth Maul: Battle of the Sith Lords".

Darth Basin, Erkan12 and rumsmuggler like this.
  20. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    So I could not find a thread for the most badass weapon to come out of animated Star Wars especially with next weeks Rebels episode Trails of the darksaber!

So lets talk history and anything else about the weapon.

Darth Basin likes this.
  21. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    There is like one or two threads for the Darksaber. But lack of the search function can be a drag.

Darth Basin likes this.
  22. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Huh if that's the case then google has failed me.

Nah I haven't seen one related to Rebels at least.

Darth Basin likes this.
  23. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    Sabine getting the Darksaber is horribly contrived. The last wielder of that weapon earned it by defeating the previous owner in single combat. But the Rebels Producers know Sabine could never defeat Maul in combat. So they had him abandon it on Dathomir so she could pick it up and take it. To be fair, Maul didn't seem to care much about it anymore, so you could argue that it's abandoned property. Since Maul abandoned the Darksaber, it doesn't belong to anyone, and as a Mandalorian by birth, Sabine can claim it. But still, I would have loved to see another Mandalorian vs Force-wielder battles like we saw in Shades of Reason.

Erkan12 and Darth Basin like this.
  24. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
  25. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    The mods will still allow this one probobly because it pertains to Rebels now.