main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Darksaber - Thoughts on this?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Erkan12, Dec 14, 2014.

1. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    So, the Rebels Recon preview shows that according to Mandalorian tradition, the Darksaber was constructed by a Mandalorian... When he joined the Jedi. It'd be interesting to hear if there's competing traditions less friendly towards the Jedi, but of there's not, it wouldn't surprise me. Mandalorians respecting the game of the Jedi when it comes to martial skills makes sense, even if guys like Pre-Viszla hate them otherwise.

2. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    It was constructed by a Jedi that happened to be a Madalorian by ethnicity, according to Rau. Pre used the word stolen, not liberated. So either there is a retcon occurring to make Mandalorians more sympathaitc to the audience and fix the problem of Sabine being friendly with Jedi, or as you said there is different versions of the story. Rau being just politically correct so to speak, cause he's allies with the Jedi. While Pre hated them and wanted to kill Jedi per the tradition of the blade's lore by him.

3. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Too bad we don't have a handy index filled with links to dozens of threads.

Oh wait. :p

4. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014

5. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    Wait this makes no sense? We know the Jedi take FS people/aliens as babies/toddlers. So why would this Jedi make a LS similar to a Mando blade? He grew up as a Jedi, not a Mando.

6. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I don't think he made one similar to a Mando blade I think that the Jedi Mandalorian just made a unique lightsaber

7. TheSilentInfluence

TheSilentInfluence Retired Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2014
    Yeah same. Most lightsabers have a unique design created by the holder. The darksaber is particularly unique in this regard.

Vialco, Darth Basin and Mia Mesharad like this.
  8. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    Judging from the portrait of Tar Vizsla he may of been an adult or young adult when he was inducted into the order, or someone more akin to Dooku's style who liked to wear the attire of his culture and birth. We don't know what age Tar was when he was wearing that armor nor the circumstances. Jedi of the Clone Wars liked wearing armor of the Clones, so maybe something similar back then. Jedi, Sith and Mandalorians all seem interwined like it was in the old canon/Legends apparently. He may of had a more traditional lightsaber prior to creating the darksaber as some Jedi we know go through more than one lightsaber and design.

9. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I mean for once I was surprised about something. We all thought the darksaber was some evil Sith Saber or just a really old Jedi weapon. Yet it was a weapon created by a Mandalorian Jedi.

Darth Basin likes this.
  10. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015

Where can I find a portrait of this wonderful sounding chap! (Tar)

Vorax likes this.
  11. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
  12. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015
    Kewl! Vorax

The Mandolrian who became a Jedi. Hmmmmmmmmmm. He reminds me of a certain Jedi who wore a Mando mask!

ARC_RC-7567 likes this.
  13. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    Who Revan? Am sure the similarity would not be lost on them and could very well be deliberate.

Darth Basin likes this.
  14. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    It's entirely possible the Jedi's practice of rearing their members from childhood could be comparatively new in the face of thousands of years of history; they had to have learned the dangers someway. And who knows? Maybe Tar was active during the Jedi Sith War we know took place some time ago, when the doctrines of the Jedi were strained to the limit.

Darth Basin likes this.
  15. DavrelKex

DavrelKex Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 18, 2016
    I did not think we'd get so much detail on the saber's backstory. And man, what a backstory. so cool.

Darth Basin likes this.
  16. SensationalSean

SensationalSean Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2014
    Glorious animation for a really cool story!

Darth Basin likes this.
  17. Palizinha

Palizinha Jedi Master star 1

Jul 12, 2015
    I don't think there is particularly a rule that Jedi can know nothing of the culture they came from, a lot of Jedi in the PT/TCW wear stuff of a culture they didn't grow up on. Maybe the guy originally had a normal lightsaber, but after getting acquainted with his Mandalorian ties as he grew up, he eventually made a lightsaber that was created with Mandalorian influence, and that was the Darksaber.

Or, you know, the rules of only accepting to train really young kids is newer.

Mia Mesharad, Darth Basin and Erkan12 like this.
  18. Ed_Fett_77

Ed_Fett_77 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 19, 2015
    If there ever be movies in the times of tor,i wanna see the Story of Tar Viszla being told. Why would he join the Jedi Order? How do Mandos handle Force sensitives among them? Very interesting stuff..

Darth Basin likes this.
  19. Zejo the Jedi

Zejo the Jedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 16, 2016
    Darksaber is dope. I'm glad we're getting at least a little bit of the Old Republic lore.

Darth Basin likes this.
  20. DavrelKex

Aug 18, 2016
    Not much to handle; just being force sensitive doesn't mean much other than having the potential to become a Jedi/Sith. Untrained they're just normal people. I doubt it would even be noticed.

21. The Mirificus

The Mirificus Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 25, 2015
    Loved the inclusion of the backstory, and found it interesting that Fenn Rau described Tar Vizsla as "the first" Mandalorian Jedi, implying that there were others later on. I wonder if we'll get to know, in canon, what made things go south for Mando-Jedi relationships. Or, at least, Mando-clan Vizsla relations, as I don't get the impression that in nucanon, all Mandalorians are enemies of the Jedi.

22. DavrelKex

Aug 18, 2016

Eh, I'm hoping it doesn't become a common thread. Part of what made the Mandalorians special and cool was that they were great warriors in their own right despite not being force wielders (as a whole). But they are just humans afterall, so I suppose it was inevitable that there would be a Jedi from Mandalore at some point.

I'm sort of wondering if the Jedi keeping the Darksaber after Tar died was viewed as a cultural slight by the Mandalorians, and helped sparked all the wars between them and the Jedi.

23. The Mirificus

The Mirificus Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 25, 2015

I could see that as a factor, but I think a more secure root conflict would be if one or more of the Mandalorian warrior groups decided to conquer other worlds. It doesn't have to be the scale of SWTOR; really, any such behavior the Jedi would disapprove of. The core personality of the Mandalorian culture, seeking conflict and/or personal glory, isn't compatible with being a Jedi. I like the idea that Tar Vizsla may have been involved in a large scale Jedi-Sith conflict; against that background, the Jedi Order could appreciate more militant members. Or, perhaps he wasn't what we would view as a typical clan Vizsla member, or the clan became more extreme with the leadership of the man who stole the Darksaber back.

24. DavrelKex

Aug 18, 2016
    Well the conquering stuff we already know about; according to one of the resource books the Mandalorians launched a Crusade into the Mid-Rim and some point.

As for the Viszla....it's just a name afterall, I can't imagine everyone in that family acted the same

25. TheSilentInfluence

TheSilentInfluence Retired Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2014

There were a lot of Mandalorians who became Jedi. Or in the case of Mandalorian Knights from the Old Republic, former Jedi of the Order who swore allegiance to Mand'alor.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Mandalorian_Knights

Darth Basin likes this.