main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Darksaber - Thoughts on this?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Erkan12, Dec 14, 2014.

1. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    We have to consider the fact that over 1000 years ago the jedi were still experimenting on lightsabers; this was when the crossgaurd sabers existed after all. The Dark Saber is probably just another experiment.
    I like the idea of lightsabers being more unique during the OR era. If we ever were to get a form of media about the era I hope we see lightsabers of different forms and, more importantly, colors. In canon, we only have 7 lightsaber colors - Blue, Green, Yellow, Purple, White, Black and Red. Going back further maybe there were Orange, Pink, etc. There could even be black sabers like the dark saber but with different light emitted. Maybe the ancient sith had a darksaber emitting red light. It would be really cool.

2. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Its a one of a kind and unique to its creator. meaning there is only one known black bladed lightsaber that was called the "darksaber".

Saber colors in canon are colorless, and change color dependent and personalized to its creator and user. They also appear to choose the user and answer to one warrior over another. The new canon gives them something of a Harry Potter wand vibe now. Ahsoka was able to change the corrupted red lightsabers kyber crystals of the 6th Brother Inquisitor into white that matched her personality and status. Kyber crystals in canon are more mystical and and intertwined with the Force, so almost living objects.

3. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    Incorrect.

The kyber crystals are colourless, not the lightsabers. The way the Force-wielder bonds with their crystal determines the color of the blade once it is assembled. A lightsaber blade will never change color if it falls into the hands of another user, or even if it's user become evil. Case in point, Anakin Skywalker turned to the Dark Side and his lightsaber remained blue.

4. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    Don't know if I like the idea of the darksaber now being all that powerful. I just don't for some reason.

5. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    @Vialco

You're incorrect. The lightsaber kyber crystals are colorless is obviously what I meant by saber in shorthand.

Anakin as Vader never dismantled his saber and took out his kyber crystal and held it in the palm of his hand did he?! You have no case.

And yes, the kyber crystals change colors depending on who is using them. Sith Lords and their minions bleed their kyber crystals, a process that bends the kyber crystals to their will, the will of the evil new owner. The 6th Brother's kyber crystals felt familiar to Ahsoka[which apparently they once belonged to a Jedi she knew], once Ahsoka got position of the Inquisitor's red crystals she changed the red to her white. Inquisitors got their kyber crystals from the fallen Jedi Knights and bled them, turning them into the red bladed sabers. That process is reversible. Kyber crystals are rare & would only reveal themselves to Force wielders if they were worthy of them. Apparently Dark Siders are not particularly worthy, and so apparently scavenge them from the fallen and change their colors, or they are passed down from one Sith Lord to another, or former Jedi can turn their own kyber red. The dark side plays a part in the red colorization via the so-called "bleeding" process. Its why all the Inquisitors are using red blades and not green, yellow, white, purple, dark blue, light blue, orange or whatever.

Tar for whatever reasoning they devised in canon, managed to form a one and only black bladed lightsaber, so his kyber turned black. When or why did it turn black we do know, he may of had more than one lightsaber in his time even. Gone are the days of the different colored kyber crystals for each sword.

6. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    Well why would a Mandalorian Jedi make a flimsy saber as his weapon?

rumsmuggler and MandaloreRex2015 like this.
  7. Tsago

Tsago Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 24, 2017
    It's no more powerful than an usual jedi lightsaber, also not less powerful because it uses a kyber crystal as well.

8. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    I don't think they've established its particularly more powerful than any other lightsaber, merely that it's history and legacy give it special significance to House Vizsla and it's a respected weapon among other Mandalorians. If you're a fan of Game of Thrones, it's a bit like Blackfyre and Dark Sister, the Targrayen Valyrian Steel swords, where it's not physically better than any other magic sword, it just has a tendency to end up in powerful people's hands and is tied to inheritance disputes.

In fact, I'd argue the blade design seems to have certain disadvantages in comparison to the more familiar Sith and Jedi blades: it's shorter, and it's shape may impact it's ability to deflect blaster bolts. Though, if we can do some rampant, only-vaguely-supplied-with-evidence speculation, Tar Vizsla still seems to be wearing armor and helmet in Rau's telling of the story. Perhaps he depended more on his armor, arsenal and skills to play defense, and crafted a blade based on a design more familiar to him. Out-of-universe, we know the Darksaber was originally a vibro sword with some design similarities to the ones used in KOTOR, and there *is* evidence for other Mandalorian swords in their artwork.

Maybe Tar Vizsla started out as a Mandalorian warrior who specialized in melee combat, possibly against Force Users during the Jedi-Sith War. At some point, he finds out he has Force Sensitivity and an inclination towards Jedi morality and beliefs, in some unknown chronology forges his saber, gets knighted, and becomes famous. Perhaps he constructed his lightsaber as a Mandalorian using only a little information and some observation, since the vambraces imply Mandalorians studied Jedi abilities closely, or maybe he built it after becoming a full Jedi Knight, as a reminder of his past, or maybe while training to be a Jedi, he scavenged the hilt of a vibrosword and a scavenged Kyber crystal from either an enemy or an ally, with this process leading to its unusual color.

Either way, Tar somehow crafted a uniquely designed weapon that the Jedi felt deserved a place of honor in their temple and that House Vizsla felt belonged to them, and the weapon must have a several wielders, some more successful than others.

9. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I hope it's the only black colored lightsaber is all. I would really like a book about him though

10. anakincol

anakincol Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2009

I definitely agree with you their, an ancient Mando Jedi is something that screams to be made into a book and it would also give us a good new canon story set very early that would Not interfere with the new films and also possibly recanonize things elements from legends. The existence of the dark saber leans to something similar to the sith assualt on the jedi temple from The Old Republic MMO being canon as the Mandolrian female aiding the sith in the trailer is mentioned to be a membet of Clan Visla And it's been mentioned once in the clone wars and once on rebels that the clan stole it back during a conflict.

11. Vegeta Daimo

Vegeta Daimo Jedi Master star 1

Nov 30, 1999

[​IMG]

That's Shae Vizsla & she's my favorite creation to come out of the SWTOR MMO. I'm so happy that she's part of the canon, I bought this action fig of her a couple years ago, she has such an awesome design. http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Mandalore_the_Avenger

12. anakincol

anakincol Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2009
    While her canon status isn't confirmed though, pre disney buyout she was obviously the one the Vizsla was alluding to in the mandalore death watch arc but that was when the EU was still at some level as canon.. Post disney buyout though the MMO became non canon. She still fits as the likely candidate unless they name another member of clan vizsla as the one who steals it in a new canon source.

13. Anakin.Skywalker

Anakin.Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2016
    I've never understood why they had a darksaber emit light. If it's a darksaber, it should absorb the light around it. It'd be a rather cool effect...

14. Vegeta Daimo

Vegeta Daimo Jedi Master star 1

Nov 30, 1999
    I can't even imagine what that would look like, I think I'd be nearly impossible to animate something that's black & absorbs light.

15. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    The only thing I can imagine is a black hole, which bends the light on the event horizon as it's sucked into oblivion. Animating a black hole is very hard thing to do, and one of the hardest tricks "Interstellar" pulled off. For a cartoon I'd agree it'd probably be nearly impossible.

Anakin.Skywalker likes this.