main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Darkside Healing + Destroying?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Havet_Storm, Aug 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Havet_Storm

Havet_Storm Jedi Master star 3

May 19, 2004
    I've been thinking about Darth Vader healing himself of his wounds and a thought struck me: The Emperor etc are all aged, or wounded etc from using the Darkside of the force, yet as told in SOTE, Darth Vader specifically used the Darkside of the force to heal himself. Isn't this a contradiction?

2. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I've been thinking about Darth Vader healing himself of his wounds and a thought struck me: The Emperor etc are all aged, or wounded etc from using the Darkside of the force, yet as told in SOTE, Darth Vader specifically used the Darkside of the force to heal himself. Isn't this a contradiction?

He also looked like a decrepit old man, despite being only in his, what, 40s? (TPM == 10 + 33 (ANH) + 3.5 (ROTJ))

Healing oneself is not an inherently "good" act, so Darksiders can do it just fine. It's just healing OTHERS that they have a problem with... ;)

3. JediHobbit

JediHobbit Jedi Master star 5

Mar 2, 2002
    yeah, I guess if you look at it in a sort of "looking out for one's own interests and health and therefore greedy and evil" kind of way, it works.

4. Havet_Storm

Havet_Storm Jedi Master star 3

May 19, 2004
    I understand that healing's not inherently lightside, but how can you use somthing that damages you to heal yorself. Isn't it a bit like using a hammer and nails to fix the hole in a pane of glass?

5. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I understand that healing's not inherently lightside, but how can you use somthing that damages you to heal yorself. Isn't it a bit like using a hammer and nails to fix the hole in a pane of glass?

Think of what the Dark Side did for Exar Kun though. And look at the benefit it reaped; it was enlightened self-interest. Using its power to heal in order to get more destruction and chaos down the line...

6. Yuuzhanvong1000

Yuuzhanvong1000 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 10, 2002
    Actually, I think he TRIED to heal himself, but couldn't because it required use of the lightside.

7. Kotar_Aruniel

Kotar_Aruniel Jedi Youngling

Aug 18, 2004
    I am thinking that everytime they heal themselves, they grow older.
    Like, if you got a fatal wound, you might be able to heal it, so you wouldn't die, but you would hurt yourself by aging more.
    The more you heal, the more you grow older, and eventually you would die of old age.

8. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Actually, I think he TRIED to heal himself, but couldn't because it required use of the lightside.

Actually, it's a by-product of the Sith poison... when you draw upon the Light Side of the Force I think the penalty is you must either take another step towards the Dark Side as the poison's influence or the power doesn't work...

9. --Corran_Horn--

--Corran_Horn-- Jedi Youngling star 3

May 31, 2002
    IIRC, he would try to use the darkside to heal him, but he wasn't very successful. He would use anger to fuel his darkside powers, but whenever he started to heal, he would feel happy, and could no longer heal himself.

10. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Ultimately, the Dark Side burns your body to ashes but its a 'neutral' way of how you use them.

Its not supported in canon but in my game here's how how healing works

Jedi Healing: Healing draws forth energy from the Force to heal yourself and you respond by shining your life that much stronger to give back to the Force...thus maintaining equiliberium with the Force's energy or giving more

Sith healing: You suck the Force's energy into yourself to heal your wounds like a vampire and somewhere in the Force, someone grows weaker for it or dies.

It's how I explain the Dark Side is easier to learn and also quicker. The Jedi Knighthood must learn to be a symbiotic part of the cycle of life while the Dark Siders simply leech the power they need from the rest of the Universe whenever and wearer they need it.

It's why that places like the Dagobah Cave and other Dark Sider hangouts are so twisted and hideous. The Dark Sider sucks out the life of everything, leaving them dead or mutated by their expenditures of evil.

What Yoda meant by "not more powerful" is the fact that the Jedi can accomplish everything that Dark Siders can but they CHOOSE to take a less destructive and more beneficial in the long run means of doing it. Emperor Palpatine's Force Storms or creating great castles, etc are possible by Jedi but they need to rest and prepare to return all that energy they expend.

Palpatine just needs himself and a bunch of fresh bodies around to suck dry to power it.

11. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    He also looked like a decrepit old man, despite being only in his, what, 40s?

At the time of RotJ's production, he was supposed to be in his sixties or seventies, until George Lucas changed the date of the PT. Yeah, I know it still needs an "in-universe" explanation, but I choose to disregard his apparent age...

12. flowerbee

flowerbee Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 29, 2004
    I never got that, isn't the Darkside basically using the Force to do something evil, like kill some one? Also, what's wrong with electrocuting, say a vicious animal who was going to kill some one? Healing and self defense, when not done out of hate or anger, isn't the darkside by my understanding of the concept, so why do Luke and his Jedi treat it as such? It really does confuse me. If there's somthing I've missed, please, correct me!

13. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Okay, people don't get the "mystical" answer that the Dark Side is a devil figure trying to get you so here's the "realistic answer"

Dark Side energy is like nuclear radiation. When you use it, you fry your brain. It's good at killing stuff but you cannot use certain powers like force lighting without using the Dark Side "energy wavelength" like you can't use a nuclear bomb without splitting the atom.

Use the Dark Side energy and you will go evil because it will destroy the moral areas of your brain and you'll be addicted ala drugs and your body will disitegrate

It's bad...let's leave it at that.

14. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Doing drugs is also of the Dark Side. Just say no.

Sorry, Charlemagne. Had to say it. ;)

15. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Hey, Obi Wan says

"You WILL say no."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.