main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Darth Bane and the history of the Sith

Discussion in 'Literature' started by project860, Feb 28, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. project860

project860 Jedi Youngling

Feb 22, 2002
    Does anybody know anything about Darth Bane and Sith history? I relatively new to EU and would like to know more about them.

2. Halcoholic

Halcoholic Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 24, 2002
    The Sith started as a few Jedi who turned to the Dark Side, and were lured in by its power. As time went on, their numbers grew until it massed in the hundreds (I think). They launched a war on the Jedi, determined to show that the Dark Side was indeed stronger. Anyways, they got so strong that infighting began, as the Sith had no real leader. So with very little Jedi involvement, the Sith destroyed themselves from the inside.

A single Dark Warrior survived the massacre, he called himself Darth Bane. He trained a single apprentice, who, once Bane passed on, trained a single apprentice, so at any given time there was only two, no more no less: a master and an apprentice. This went on for like a thousand years until the Sith decided to reveal themselves to the Jedi and have their revenge in Episode 1.

But don't quote me, I'm not up to date on the whole Jedi Wars with Exar Kun and Ulic Qel-Droma and all them.

3. project860

Feb 22, 2002
    Do you know of any books or comics that have more info. Preferably books because they are easier to find.

4. Halcoholic

Feb 24, 2002
    The info I got was from the novelization of Episode I. Probably the best source would be the Essential Guide to Chronology.

5. project860

Feb 22, 2002
  6. Halcoholic

Feb 24, 2002
    Another good source would be the Time Tales Chronology on TFN... at

http://www.theforce.net/timetales/tt1-1/sect1-1.shtml

either scroll way down or go to the next section, not sure

7. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    The history of the Sith actually begins many thousands of years before that. A very long time ago, there was a schism within the Jedi Order. The result was that some Jedi who had turned to the dark side were banished. They eventually found the Sith race and became their masters. After a time the two were greatly intermingled, with there being few Sith left of pure Sith bloodline. The Dark Jedi had declared themselves the Dark Lords of the Sith, a title that would be passed down through the ages to the various Sith rulers and lords. About 5000 BBY (Before the Battle of Yavin) the Sith Empire reached it's golden age. It also reached it's end when it tried attacking the Republic and was defeated by the combined forces of the Jedi, the Republic, and the forces of Empress Teta. This resulted in the end of the Sith Empire.

However, their teachings lived on. The Sith Lord who had led the Sith to their destruction, Naga Sadow, fled to Yavin IV. Around 4400 BBY, Sadow taught the the Dark Jedi Freedon Nadd the ways of the Sith. Nadd brought this knowledge to the planet Onderon, where he set up a dark side theocracy.

Then about 4000 BBY the dark side and Sith teachings on Onderon once more came to the knowledge of the Jedi. The Jedi tried to defeat these teachings once and for all, but a pair of spoiled Tetan royal children met up with the spirit of Freedon Nadd and began learning the ways of the Sith. They founded the Krath in the Empress Teta system, using these teachings to take over the system.

At the same time, a Jedi Knight named Exar Kun began looking for forbidden knowledge, knowledge which lead him to the spirit of Freedon Nadd, the Sith burial planet of Korriban, and finally Yavin IV.

Jedi and Republic forces, under the command of Jedi Knight Ulic Qel-Droma, were sent to the Empress Tetan system to defeat the Krath. The task force would be turned back as they did not expect the resistance of the Krath to be as strong as it was. A Jedi convocation was called on Deneba to decide how best to handle the Krath. But the Krath attacked this meeting, killing Ulic's Jedi Master, Master Arca Jeth. Ulic had already suggested trying to defeat the Krath from within, with Master Arca's death, he now planned to do just that. Which meant he would have to learn the ways of the dark side.

Unforetunately for the galaxy, Kun and Ulic would end up meeting up in the Tetan capitol city of Cinnigar. There the spirits of the ancient Dark Lords declared them to be the new Sith Order, with Kun being the new Dark Lord of the Sith. This lead to the Sith war and the defeat of the new Sith Order.

The Sith would rise again. this time thousands of years later and among their numbers would be Darth Bane.

8. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Project860,

For Bane information, you'll want to track down the following sources. The Essential Bane:
      [image=http://images.dhorse.com/covers/11/11546.jpg]
    1. Star Wars Episode I - The Phantom Menace:
    Novellization of the film. First Bane mention. Printed in softcover.

2. Jedi vs. Sith:
    Comic series by Dark Horse Comics which is the account of the Battle of Ruusan which nearly wiped out the Sith, leaving Bane to reform the order under his plans. Trade paperback collection will be published March 13, 2002.

3. Star Wars Gamer #3, "Bane of the Sith":
    Magazine from Wizards of the Coast. Important Bane "origin" story by Kevin Anderson. Takes place after Jedi vs. Sith. Should be able to get back-issue from Wizards of the Coast or find in magazine/comic shop.

4. Star Wars: Secrets of the Sith:
    General Bane information. Still should be available in bookstores, or online.

5. Star Wars: The Essential Chronology:
    General Bane information. Still available in bookstores.

9. DRK_HLMT

DRK_HLMT Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 7, 2001
    Question. Do the Sith (as a race) still exist?

10. Genghis12

Nov 18, 1999
    Highly improbable, but not impossible. The Dark Side Sourcebook officially cracked open the door just enough of a crack to allow GM's to run that possibility in their campaigns.

However, don't count on it.

11. Zahn_Matrix

Zahn_Matrix Jedi Youngling

Feb 9, 2002
    Were there any Sith Lords before Naga Sadow?

And is Bane the first Sith Lord to use the title Darth?

12. Genghis12

Nov 18, 1999
    Naga Sadow - There were tons of Sith Lords before Naga Sadow. There were Sith Lords during Naga Sadow's reign. At the time, the Sith had a clear caste system. The Sith people were all lorded over by Sith Lords - multiple Lords. There was a committee of Sith Lords. However, they would all recognize a single Dark Lord of the Sith, a being who was empowered with the deepest, most arcane powers of the Sith. After the death of the previous Dark Lord, Marko Ragnos, both Naga Sadow and Ludo Kressh claimed the Dark Lord title. Naga Sadow plotted to take over the Sith Empire and ended up destroying nearly everything through a nasty civil war. However, he did go through the Dark Lord of the Sith process. He generally would be considered the last traditional Sith-species Dark Lord because everyone else was sort of killed off by the Republic and each other. Sadow crash-landed on Yavin IV with some Massassi warriors loyal to him. There may have been some more Dark Lords of the Sith after him if his Massassi continued such tradition. However, after a thousand years, the Massassi also changed/evolved/devolved into something wholly unrecognizeable from what they originally were.

Darth - Unknown. Currently, there's at least another one, Darth Rivan who may have been around prior to Bane or at least the same time as Bane (+/- 500 years). Not enough is known to answer whether Bane was/is the first.

13. DRK_HLMT

Dec 7, 2001
    So there are no visual images of the Sith anywhere? I'm just trying to figure out what this sepcies looked like. Seems like they were somewhat like the Aztecs and Incas who looked to a person that had power as their god (Dark Jedi). I'm wondering if they were humanoid or some other form of species and how big was their Empire?

14. Zahn_Matrix

Zahn_Matrix Jedi Youngling

Feb 9, 2002
    I think they were supposed to be kind of insectoid looking. I believe one of the old Tales of the Jedi comics, (Sith Wars maybe?) had picture of them.

Maybe someone can scan something and post it here. (I don't have any pics.)

15. Twelve_Motion

Twelve_Motion Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 12, 2002
    Now see, thats what I'd like to read. A series of novels taking place 4000 years before ANH. In the time of Ulic, and Exar.

16. Admiral_Lelila

Admiral_Lelila Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2001
    I would like to know the different between turning to the 'darkside' and being a 'sith' Luke, Kyp and Jaina crossed to the darkside but the EU didn't refer to them as 'sith.' But Darth Vader was called 'sith.'

17. DRK_HLMT

Dec 7, 2001
    It seems the Sith (Palpatine-Vader era)were more or less a type of Order or exclusive club. Only two members at a time. If a Jedi turned to the dark side, they were merely called Dark Jedi. If they took on the beliefs of the Sith, then they would be called Sith.

18. project860

Feb 22, 2002
    Now see, thats what I'd like to read. A series of novels taking place 4000 years before ANH. In the time of Ulic, and Exar.

Yeah, I would like that too. I hope there is some good sith action in the "Knights of the Old Republic" game due out later this year. It is supposed to take place about 4000 years BBY.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.