main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

LA, CA Darth-Bubbas reviews on life...

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by Darth-Bubba, Feb 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elensara

Elensara Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2002
    I finally saw it this summer...it had been one of those things that, whenever reminded I hadn't seen it yet, my family was shocked. Anyway, it was entertaining. You have to be in the right mood though, but when you are, good times. :) And hey, it helped me to finally begin to understand why so many women are so obsessed with Colin Firth.

I'd totally be up for a second viewing. :) I'll bring my computer and then we can watch Colin Firth on The Daily Show (it's quite amusing).

2. TheEmperorsProtege

TheEmperorsProtege Jedi Knight star 5

May 22, 2004
    you talking about P&P or the movie shyryder cant talk about? ;)

-Mel

3. JediBith

JediBith Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 6, 2001
    Heh: shyryder...that's good!

4. Elensara

Apr 2, 2002
    Pride & Predjudice......What movie can he not talk about?

5. DarthHaskett

DarthHaskett Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 29, 2003
    I did not know Colin was on the Daily Show. I swear I should get Tivo so I can just tape anything he's on. I heard he was really good on SNL a couple of years ago. <Sigh>

By all means, I'm up for a viewing. SR you can come along. The wedding scene at the end always cracks me up and if anyone has seen it (and I know APL and I mentioned it previously), it's one for the books.

6. Elensara

Apr 2, 2002
    The wedding scene cracked me up 'cause I was thinking, "they can't afford two weddings?!"

7. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    Uh, no, you aren't looking at the wedding scene in quite the right way (or in the right locations). Any way, a picture of that scene should not be posted as it is, well, a bit revealing. Suffice it to say, the trousers are fairly, uh, clingy.

8. Elensara

Apr 2, 2002
    Hahaha...ok, I definitely need to see it again then. Will this be like the stormtrooper hitting his head on the door (meaning I won't notice it until many many viewings over several years)?

9. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    I don't know about others but I noticed it right away so I'm not sure if it was just me or just, well, prominently displayed.

10. TheEmperorsProtege

TheEmperorsProtege Jedi Knight star 5

May 22, 2004
    seen CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY.

I absolutely love this movie. Burton's Back!!!!=D=

-Mel

Willi Wonka Willi Wonka the amazing chocolatier.....[face_dancing]

11. AniPadmeLurker

AniPadmeLurker Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 30, 2004
    Hey ES, the faint at heart should not watch the wedding scene. I thought I was the only one that noticed.
    It is definitely NOT like a stormtrooper hitting his head. I love that movie though.

The double wedding shows the couple's closeness as a family and as friends, not how cheap they are. Don't you know he has 5,000 a year?

12. Elensara

Apr 2, 2002
    That's why it was so funny. :)

Faint of heart? It's just a person's body, right? It's not like someone's being disembowled...

13. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    Ah, it's Mr. Bingley who earns 5,000 a year. Mr. Darcy, on the other hand, earns 10,000 a year. Plus Mr. Darcy has Pemberley.

14. AniPadmeLurker

Nov 30, 2004
    Hey it's been a while since I read it..or watched it. i gotta bust out my DVD again. I hope my JaneAusten teacher let's us watch Sense and Sensibility soon. I haven't read the whole thing yet, I should be right now.

Hasketted.

15. Darth-Bubba

Darth-Bubba Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 11, 2002
    I watched all 4 shows on FOX Sunday, starting with Simpsons.

I must say, Family guy was AWESOME. Quite funny.

I also enjoyed War at Home and Family Dad. Family Dad rocked. Kind of like Family guy humor. I laughed a lot. I may be loyal again and switch to FOX. War at home was funny, vulgar humor. Up my alley.

16. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    I think it's called American Dad or something like that. It was developed by the guy who did Family Guy which is why it's similar.

17. Skyryder

Skyryder Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 13, 2004
    Yes, I watched all four shows too. It is American Dad. I really didn't think they were as funny as previous shows. I sometimes have to be in the mood for that humor and I guess I just wasn't that night. Family Guy is usually very funny and the things they say I can't believe sometimes.

18. Darth-Bubba

Darth-Bubba Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 11, 2002
    whats a shame I went to the Fox websight to get the names correct. I still screwed it up.
    I liked all 4 shows, a lot. LOVED Simpsons.

19. Skyryder

Skyryder Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 13, 2004
    I just watched a really good show. Bones. It was on Fox. Sort of like CSI I guess, and I like those type shows. Plus it had this added goodness For Elensara

20. JediBith

Nov 6, 2001
    Phooey! I meant to watch that. I almost specialized in forensic anthropology. Then I met linguistic anthropology and it was true love [face_love].

Anyway, I watched "Supernatural" on the WB which starred Jenson Ackels or Jason Ankels...whatever his name is from "Days..." a few years ago. Not bad. Kind of a brothers-buddy-road-trip X-files thang. Good special FX. I even jumped a bit.

21. AniPadmeLurker

Nov 30, 2004
    Just saw my Must see show! Survivor. It was pretty good. Everyone looked like death, especially Bobby John, who's eyes rolled back in his head a bunch.
    heh

that's the only show I'll watch religiously.

22. Elensara

Apr 2, 2002
    Since this is about life...anyway, it's a great story that a friend had posted.
    From nytimes.com:

"Just a Living Legacy to the Leader of the Band"
    By SAMUEL G. FREEDMAN
    Published: September 14, 2005

ON the afternoon before Hurricane Katrina hit, as he was packing his car to flee, Lawrence Winchester called Prof.

Prof was Edwin Harrell Hampton, Mr. Winchester's music teacher and bandmaster a half-century earlier at St. Augustine High School in New Orleans, and his mentor ever since.

By now, Prof was 77, a widower with a failing memory, and it was the surrogate son who played the paternal role. Along with another alumnus, Lucien Peters III, Mr. Winchester took Prof out for a steak dinner every Tuesday and breakfast at Little Dizzy's on Sunday morning, drove him to all the doctor's appointments, made sure the Social Security check was safely deposited.

"What are you guys going to do?" Mr. Winchester asked over the phone. He was talking to Prof's daughter, Tamara Hingle, who had driven to his bungalow. "The hurricane's coming. You all got to get going."

The line went quiet while Ms. Hingle repeated the plea to her father.

"He says he doesn't want to leave," she reported back to Mr. Winchester. "He wants to go to St. Aug to sit out the storm."

Mr. Winchester had expected that response. Every time a storm descended, even when Hurricane Betsy flooded parts of the city in 1965, Prof would hunker down with the priests who lived in the school. St. Augustine was what he knew and what he loved.

Even in the last few years, when one of his protégés, Darryl Fields, took over the music classes and the leadership of the Marching 100 band, St. Augustine kept Prof on the payroll, letting him sit in on rehearsals or meet students in his office adjoining the new band room. There was a $250,000 fund-raising campaign under way to name it for him.

Everybody close to Prof on this portentous day, though, knew he would have to leave. By Sunday morning, instead of digging into grits and bacon at Little Dizzy's, Prof was sitting in his daughter's car, headed for relatives in Fort Worth. He had not taken any keepsakes from home - not the painting of the Marching 100 in the Rose Bowl parade, not the certificate of appreciation from President Bill Clinton, not the bust that Mr. Winchester had sculptured of him.

Prof intended to return within a few days, and even on the westbound highway he was already asking when he could go back to St. Aug.

In the twilight of senility, he never realized that by Monday afternoon, the school was flooded, with water surging into the technology wing, the student records office, and the band room with all the instruments and uniforms, including Prof's office.

People from the neighborhood were arriving by boat, with more than 300 ultimately taking refuge on the dry second floor. A few thugs broke into the gym to steal sneakers, but most folks treated St. Augustine as the sanctuary it had been so many times in so many ways.

Edwin Harrell Hampton had been there from the very beginning, the late summer of 1951, when the Josephite Order opened a college-prep high school for black students in New Orleans, starting with 100 freshmen. Mr. Hampton, 23 then, had already done time as a medic and considered a career as a pharmacist before casting his future with trumpet, sax and oboe.

With their mission to minister to American blacks, the Josephites were a living challenge to segregation's social order and to its presumptions of white superiority. The Josephites' black priests were routinely barred from hearing confession and celebrating Mass in the New Orleans white parishes. A Josephite in Alabama was kidnapped by the Ku Klux Klan and tied to a tree.

And here they were at St. Aug, grown-up white priests teaching their young black charges Latin and calling them "Mister."

By 1958, the year of St. Aug's fourth graduating class, the school had produced a National Merit Scholar. Six years later, it generated a presidential scholar. Over the years, its alumni have included Arno

23. JediBith

Nov 6, 2001
    Well now THAT brought a tear to my eye...

24. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
  25. JediRacer

JediRacer Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 5, 2000
    I saw a movie called "Broken Flowers" with Bill Murray. It was pretty good, except the ending didn't answer anything. I hate when movies end like that. I guess it's up to you to determine what happens.

I want to see Corpse Bride.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.