main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

LA, CA Darth-Bubbas reviews on life...

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by Darth-Bubba, Feb 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jundland_Jay

Jundland_Jay Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 18, 2003
    Head over heals, where should I go?
    Can't stop myself, out of control.
    Head over heals, no time to think
    Looks like the whole world's out of sync...

2. ValedaKor

ValedaKor Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    Never went to anything at Jack Murphy. Went to lots at the Sports Arena, San Diego State, the old San Diego Stadium (the one down by City College that's long gone), Wallbanger's, all the other small clubs whose names escape me at the moment. Even stuff at Starlight. The bands didn't have to wait for the planes to fly over LOL.

Oh, yeah, and That Place Across the Street From the Sports Arena. Great bar. Miss that a lot.

And did you ever get a KGB HomeGrown album? I went to the first Charity Ball in 1972. My favorite group of the time was Quicksilver Messenger Service. Loved that band.

Helen

3. Darth-Bubba

Darth-Bubba Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 11, 2002
    The bar was called Foggies Notion. The only place in my life, where my car was ever towed. Not happy with them. (12 years later)

No on the album, but I went to The Sky Show 6-7 times. (not the concerts, but music coregraphed to the fireworks, after the Padre game)

4. chibiangi

chibiangi Jedi Master star 4

Jun 16, 2002
    I saw Lost in Translation finally. It was ok. I don't know what all the hype about it was though. Maybe I missed something. It just seemed that there was no big turning point, or big revelation or anything. Although it was set in Japan, but Japan and the Japanese people seemed more like caricatures than real characters. Maybe it bothered me because I'm one of those overly sensitive Asians.

I refuse to see it for those very reasons. You're not the only "overly sensitive Asian" who feels that way, see www.yellowworld.org for others' responses :D I have some serious reservations about the movie "Japanese Story" too.

Ok, and not to get on a Hollywood rant, but when will Asians, particularly Asian men get a dang break? The only movie I can think of (that wasn't made in Asia) where an Asian man is portrayed as a full, especially sexual, human being was the Lover (1992). Cripes. It's about time.

Ok rant over.

5. ValedaKor

Oct 25, 2000
    Yeah, Foggy's, but you're forgetting when it really was called That Place Across The Street...etc.

Went to the last (maybe last -- we'll see) SkyShow last year. My friend's parents live right above the stadium.

Helen

6. JediRacer

JediRacer Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 5, 2000
    Chibiangi (cute screenname by the way ;)),
    Did you see Better Luck Tomorrow and if you did, what did you think of it? I saw it in the theater, and I bought the DVD in support of the whole thing. You are right though. Asian males are never portrayed in the American entertainment media in a positive, non-stereotypical light. We're either brainiacs to cheat off of, martial artists, perverts, drunks, anal-retentive nerds, gang members, or "the enemy". Will someone please give us Asians a break!! Will someone please give me a break!! Ok, now I'm back into my angry Asian activist mode.. I feel like writing complaint letters. Ok, if I were truly in my Asian activist mode, I wouldn't be using the word Asian.. because it's not as PC as Asian/Pacific Islander American. <<getting off my soapbox now>>

However, one recent exception is The Last Samurai. I really liked this movie. All my J-A friends saw it and liked it too. I liked it because it really emphasized the Samurai's code of honor and their pure way of life. But perhaps this movie doesn't count because it's about Samurai and a whole different era.

EDIT: Sorry, I'm just assuming you are Asian American by 1) your screenname, 2) your reference to yellowworld.org, and 3) the fact you like sushi and sake (other thread).

7. DarthHaskett

DarthHaskett Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 29, 2003
    JR, you described yourself perfectly though (Just kidding). It is unfortunate that there aren't better roles for Asians when you consider probably almost a quarter of the world's population is Asian. I have stopped caring about such things. I mean come on, how Japanese did Sean Connery look in "You Only Live Twice"? Only a real idiot would mistaken him for anything remotely Asian. Maybe someone should write a good screenplay. Hey, JR, can I borrow that DVD? I never saw it.

8. Darth-Bubba

Nov 11, 2002
    We're either brainiacs to cheat off of, martial artists, perverts, drunks, anal-retentive nerds, gang members, or "the enemy". Exactly! That is what all of you are JR! That is why we are buddies!

OK, atleast three of the four.

9. chibiangi

Jun 16, 2002
    Did you see Better Luck Tomorrow and if you did, what did you think of it?

I *still* haven't caught that one or Charlotte Sometimes (some people hate that one too).

Asian males are never portrayed in the American entertainment media in a positive, non-stereotypical light. We're either brainiacs to cheat off of, martial artists, perverts, drunks, anal-retentive nerds, gang members, or "the enemy".

How many times do we have to see 'martial arts expert cop comes to America to help the bumbling American cop find some special girl who will inevitably fall in love with American cop' movies? Bleh. Gotta give props to Bobby Lee for breaking down some of that in his "Average Asian" sketch (hilarious btw).

However, one recent exception is The Last Samurai. I really liked this movie. All my J-A friends saw it and liked it too. I liked it because it really emphasized the Samurai's code of honor and their pure way of life. But perhaps this movie doesn't count because it's about Samurai and a whole different era.

Well, I agree. Musashi it is not, but it was a pretty kickass movie. It's not meant to be historically accurate. It did portray the Samurai in a damn near angelic light, so people cannot complain about it in that sense (those who know Japanese history know the Samurai were far from angelic). Also, I figure if the Japanese in Japan liked it, it can't be too bad???

EDIT: Sorry, I'm just assuming you are Asian American by 1) your screenname, 2) your reference to yellowworld.org, and 3) the fact you like sushi and sake (other thread).

Nope. I'm white.
    1) Got it because I'm short. Anime otaku practically gave it to me so it stuck.

2) I'm on modelminority.com too. Yes, I think that qualifies me as odd...

3) I like every food on the planet practically. I do draw the line at chicken feet, balut, blood, insects, reptiles, animal appendages, pets and entrails.

10. JediRacer

Apr 5, 2000
    Well, I agree. Musashi it is not

You watched Musashi too!!?? WOW. I've seen almost all of the episodes, I'm borrowing my co-workers tapes (he taped all of them) right now to fill in the holes. It was a great series.. not totally historically correct, but excellent nonetheless. (Musashi is a Japanese TV serial that was on most of last year and just ended a couple of weeks ago.. some 50 episodes or something. It's about a famous rouge samurai named Miyamoto Musashi, who wrote a famous book called "The Book of Five Rings")

1) Got it because I'm short. Anime otaku practically gave it to me so it stuck.

So you're Anime Otaku? (means she is a crazy Anime fan.. like I'm a crazy Star Wars fan) I've seen quite a few Anime films.. but not a whole lot. My favorite continues to be AKIRA. I also really liked Metropolis. I've seen most of the popular ones like Totoro, Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away.. I've also seen Jin Roh, Ninja Scroll, Ghost in the Shell, and a few others I can't remember at the moment.
    ..and I'm short too.

2) I'm on modelminority.com too. Yes, I think that qualifies me as odd...

Well, yeah.. every Asian Organization needs their token white person. I'm just kidding!!!! ..but it's true. Even in my all Japanese-American Boy Scout troop we had one white guy. Again, I'm just kidding..

DB and DH - I'm not a Martial Artist (although I claim to be when I'm in a tight spot.. got me out of some situations back in high school) and I'm not a gang member (it's called a CAR CLUB).

11. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    You admit to being at least the enemy though. That's good. Most people (namely my co-workers) say I'm not Asian any more so I don't worry about such things.

12. JediRacer

Apr 5, 2000
    Yes, DH, you're not Asian anymore... you're an Ewok.

13. ValedaKor

Oct 25, 2000
    I just finished watching Musashi too! Love the NHK dramas.

A few years, well actually a lot of years back LOL, I was privileged to see the great Watanabe Ken in the absolute best of the NHK taigas, "Dokuganryu Masamune" (One-eyed Dragon, Masamune). Every Saturday night for 52 weeks -- never missed it. Too bad these shows are not available on video. Would love to see that again.

Helen

14. chibiangi

Jun 16, 2002
    You watched Musashi too!!??

I've caught a few episodes on channel 18. Yipee for subtitles. I want to see the whole thing. Of course, Kojiro being totally hot helps.

So you're Anime Otaku?

Oh hell no. I like anime alright. I was more into it a few years ago, but otaku I am not. I used to go to a mixed chat and there were some otaku there gave me the name. It was cute, it stuck. Most of otaku though are weird fetishists who like to throw the big three Japanese words they know into every other sentence that comes out of their mouth (kawaii, hentai & baka).

..and I'm short too.

Welcome to hobbit society. Here's your pineapple :D

15. chibiangi

Jun 16, 2002
    A few years, well actually a lot of years back LOL, I was privileged to see the great Watanabe Ken in the absolute best of the NHK taigas, "Dokuganryu Masamune" (One-eyed Dragon, Masamune). Every Saturday night for 52 weeks -- never missed it. Too bad these shows are not available on video. Would love to see that again.

Oooooh, I gotta check that out. Watanabe rocks.

16. Tikei-Fore-Tu-Wan

Tikei-Fore-Tu-Wan Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 9, 2003
    How can you root for Sasaki Kojirou? Too bad about the "splitting headache", eh?

17. chibiangi

Jun 16, 2002
    I never said I was rooting for him!

Looking, yes. Rooting, no!

18. JediRacer

Apr 5, 2000
    Wow, I thought I was the only one here who was watching that show! Personally, I liked Akemi.. ~~she's cute~~ even more than Miyazawa Rie.

19. Tikei-Fore-Tu-Wan

Tikei-Fore-Tu-Wan Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 9, 2003
    KDOC, homie! It's the Shizu-nitto! Angi can't stand to watch it all the way throuhg, but I've read Yoshikawa's Musashi about seven trillion times. I keep meaning to go to the bookstore over there at the New Otani (wt* is it called?) and pick up the Book of Five Rings but I keep forgetting.

On a side note: My father was stationed in Okinawa in the late 50's-early sixties and I asked him for some Engrish stories from bakc then... the one he remebers most vividly was a jap-dubbed version of the old Lone Ranger series: "Hayaku Shiruuba!Aawei!" T'would have been priceless to see such tomfoolery.

20. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    Kinokuniya. It's a pretty neat store. I browse while waiting for or leaving the Curry House.

21. Darth-Bubba

Nov 11, 2002
    JR, D-H, ChiBiangi,...etc... START A NEW DAMN THREAD PLEASE

22. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    Are we having a bad day, today, D-B?

23. Darth-Bubba

Nov 11, 2002
    a little.

Trying to keep people and things orgnaized here. Is that to much to ask?
    Please love your city rep.

24. JediRacer

Apr 5, 2000
    Sorry DB.. even I let things get out of hand today. It was fun though! :)

I'll try to put this thread back on it's track.

I haven't been to many concerts. But I have seen Janet Jackson a couple of times, and not once did I see her b00bs. I also went to the famous Jackson's Victory Tour concert at Dodger Stadium. That was when Michael was at his peak...now he's at his all time low. I've been to a Rush concert.. it was good, everyone was BLEEEEP. Joe Satriani at the House of Blues on Sunset was excellent too.. it was LOUD though!! My ears were ringing for days. I think the last concert I saw was New Edition (minus Bobby) and En Vogue at the House of Blues in Vegas about a year and a half ago..I really enjoyed that show. Oh, I've also seen Duran Duran with Erasure back in the 80's during their "Reflex" time (7 and the Ragged Tiger?) I had to take my younger sister, who wanted to go (have I been driving that long??)

25. Jundland_Jay

Jundland_Jay Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 18, 2003
    Ken Watanabe was amazing as Katsumoto in The Last Samurai.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.