main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

LA, CA Darth-Bubbas reviews on life...

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by Darth-Bubba, Feb 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth-Bubba

Darth-Bubba Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 11, 2002
    wow J-R, you are connected! Two free movies in one month. I wish I were such a big shot.

Hidalgo looks great on the previews. I would like to see it.

I loved all Rocky Movies, OK 1-4. I have the DVD set.(1-5) 1-3 were great, I will admit 4 was not an Oscar winner, but Rocky I sure was. If you see my profile, I think I list it as one of my favorite non SW movies.

2. DarthHaskett

DarthHaskett Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 29, 2003
    We went to see "Agent Cody Banks 2" last Friday. It was fine but I not nearly as good as the first one. I really enjoyed the first one because it put him in a more reality based premise (school, awkward around girls, special ed, etc.) This one was too slick. It sort of dragged in places also. I would give it a 7.5 out of 10.

3. Darth-Bubba

Nov 11, 2002
    Intermission staring Shirley Henderson, Kelly Macdonald, Colm Meaney (form Star Trek) Cillian Murphy and Colin Farrel. **

I have three words to describe this movie:
    PASS PASS PASS

But Racer and I did meet Colm Meaney briefly, he was cool.

But, as much as I don't drink Bud, Anheuser Busch's "World Select" Beer is pretty good. Especially when it is free. I would have the beer again.

** If you are an annoying chick you may enjoy the movie. But accents were hard to understand, they swore more than I do on a typical weekend, and it dragged! Movie tells the story about two groups of people in Ireland and how fate incorporates them together. Kind of like a weak Pulp Fiction.
    Definitely a "Black Comedy"

4. DannyB

DannyB Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 2, 2003
    You were at the Bowie show, no kidding I was there too and I thought it was great. My favorite part of the show was that song he did about the puppet. I didn't think he was going to do Ziggy Stardust and then bam. We actually got there when Macy Grey was about to finish and went up to our seats in the balcony on the very top but there was a problem, the seats did not exsist that we had tickets for so we called the usher and he called his supervisor so they sent us down stairs but he told us they cannot guarantee that they will have seats for us. After going back out into the cold to the will call we went to the booth and it was not looking good after a few. Finally the girl came back a few minutes later with Tickets so we went back in and they told us to go to tunnel C. Oh my goodness tunnel C is on the bottom. They gave us floor seats about twenty rows from the front so we wound up with better seats. What a great night. Where were you sitting Bubba?

5. crazybirdman

crazybirdman Jedi Master star 4

Feb 24, 2003
    Saw Prince. That was good. I don't go to many concerts. How long will there be a ringing in my ears?

6. Darth-Bubba

Nov 11, 2002
    I saw Dawn of the Dead. It was fun, not a brain teaser. Definitely stay for the end credits, a major
    surprise is revealed.

Can't wait to see Punisher! It will rock!

7. JediRacer

JediRacer Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 5, 2000
    Speaking of Rock, I saw "The Rundown" on the airplane back from Hawaii. It was a lot better than I was expecting. I want to see his new movie "Walking Tall".

I also saw "Secret Window".. IMO, it sucked. I would've rather seen Dawn of the Dead or even ROTK again.

8. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    The ringing never goes away. My mother's social group had a big dinner Sunday night and did karaoke. Man, did my head hurt afterwards. I heard Prince was awesome. I hear he's painfully shy and anti-social.

The director of "Dawn of the Dead" is the father of one of my padawan's classmates. He's pretty cool, I spoke with him a bunch a couple of years ago, full of energy but really shy before he opens up. His ex-wife is super friendly and really cool. I heard the movie was very good but the kind that would give me nightmares so I will stay away.

9. Jiltedtoo

Jiltedtoo Jedi Master star 4

Nov 18, 2002
    Dawn of the Dead was awesome!

I love all the Dead movies, and hope they will remake Day of the Dead next.

10. JediRacer

Apr 5, 2000
    I saw Hellboy. I was fighting falling asleep for the first half hour (a result of the Karaoke night before). But it was an ok movie. I'm not familiar with the comic or the character or anything.

I'm waiting for Kill Bill Vol. 2 though! Anyone wanna see it with me?

11. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    I just saw "The Sum of All Fears" on DVD and it was pretty good. It wasn't a big shot 'em film and they did not show much in the way of violence. Shots were from a distance and the throat slitting scene was under the camera. I was impressed.

12. Danamel99

Danamel99 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 10, 2001
    I saw the latest version of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre this past weekend. First off, it was a little weird seeing the 7th Heaven girl in a horror flick, but she did a good job. The movie really wasn't bad. I actually liked it, and I'm a pretty tough horror critic. I mean it wasn't The Mothman Prophecies, The Omen or Fallen, but a good slasher flick. There was enough gore to make your skin crawl without making you feel nauseous, although I did have to turn my head a couple of times. The characters for the most part weren't your randomly stupid High Schoolers who you were almost routing for to be killed, aka most Jason movies. And on top of everything, the direction and audio kicked it. If you see this movie, you must watch it in surround sound, or you will miss half of the suspense.

I give it 2 1/2 Wookiees :)

13. Jundland_Jay

Jundland_Jay Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 18, 2003
    I like Sum of all Fears. I saw it when it was tsill in the theatre. Ben Affleck is an okay Jack Ryan, but he is no Harrison Ford. I thought it a pretty good interpretation of the book, which was one of Clancy's best.

Matt, you and I at Kill Bill, Vol 2.

14. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    I haven't read any of Clancy's stuff but I may have to pick up one to check out. Thanks for the tip, Jay.

15. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    Okay, I really regret not watching this in the theatres but I just rented and saw "The Italian Job". It was really good. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I did not think I would like him so much but Mark Wahlberg is a hottie! He was super cool! Charlize is just beautiful. The whole cast was great. Mos Def was so funny! God bless Netflix.

16. Skyryder

Skyryder Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 13, 2004
    I liked it too, so much so I bought the darn thing.

17. crazybirdman

crazybirdman Jedi Master star 4

Feb 24, 2003
    Yeah it was good. And bless Netflix indeed. I had to rent it because when I saw it in the theater this heifer tottaly made me miss the beggining.

18. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    I am contemplating the purchase myself. I thought it was very well made and worth watching again. Now that I have seen it I think it would be fine for the padawan also. A couple of killings and nothing too bad.

19. Darth-Bubba

Nov 11, 2002
    The Punisher by Darth-Bubba
    Just saw the opening night of the Punisher. Liked it! On a scale of 1-10, give it a solid 8. Now, I had to choose which of my Punisher shirts to wear, the one I recieved at Comic-Con 2003, or from Grand Slam 2004.
    I chose Comic-Con. Received 12 compliments from strangers.

The movie was fun, exciting. Opening scene is a little depressing. (ok, the second scene) but if you know the story of the Punisher, it is totally 100% necessary. It exaplins why he does what he does. Mrs. D-B liked it cause the main character was a hottie. Thomas Jane... he did a good job.

Compared to the Original Punisher, in 1983, with Dolph Lungren, hard to say what I liked more. That one was more dark, more bleak about his life. This one, everyone knows who Frank Castle is. It is not a surprise. He seemed more depressed/ living in solitude in the original. But, this one gives a much better back story explaining about his life, motivations, the shirt, the guns..etc

Anyway, this one was good. Rebecca Stamos looked ok. Thankfully, they did not insert some stupid romance.

Surprise... (non-Spoiler) John Travolta is the main main bad guy. Kevin Nash (Big Sexy) makes an appearance too.

I suggest it, and recommend it. The ending scene kind of suggest that he will become the vigilante super hero type in the future. A good remake.

(I have the original on DVD if someone wants to view it. What can I say, I am old school)

20. chibiangi

chibiangi Jedi Master star 4

Jun 16, 2002
    All About My Mother

This is a Spanish language flick, but it's tight. Oh and Penelope Cruz is in it for the boys. It's about a mom who loses her son and goes back to Barcelona to find his father. But, there are some...odd...twists along the way. It was well paced. I like it. It is a bit of a chick flick though, but not in the sappy way.

21. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    Anyone wanna see "Young Adam"? There's another Ewan lightsaber scene I hear. I also heard it wasn't so good. It's NC-17 so no kiddies allowed.

I'm watching "The Secret Garden", a Hallmark Hall of Fame movie from 1993 or around there (another Colin Firth flick). It's pretty pathetic. The star, some little girl, keeps going back and forth between her very American accent (her parents were British and living in India but she should still have the British accent) and a wannabe British one. I've see most of it already and still haven't seen my dear Colin. I feel gypped.

Life has taken a decided turn for me. I'm driving stick again and it is weird. My MG is done (finally). I just need to re-register it and I'm good to go. I guess life is easier with automatic transmission but it's still pretty fun. (Note that this paragraph starts with the word "life" so it is still part of the thread so I'm not Darth Hasketting the thread, yet.)

22. JediRacer

Apr 5, 2000
    I also saw The Punisher (right after I saw Kill Bill Vol.2!..different theater though). It would say it was good, but my movie experience was ruined by the theater full of low-class inconsiderate morons. There was a group of "people" who insisted on making stupid comments and laughed at every serious scene of the movie. Everyone around them were moving away from them, and when someone got up to move away, this beeotch would say "what, are we talking too loud?.. we're not in church, we could do whatever we want". She must've said that stupid line around 8 times during the movie. This was at the Pacific Hastings in Pasadena, which used to be my favorite local theater.. I don't think I'll ever go back there.

23. Darth-Bubba

Nov 11, 2002
    why didn't you complain and get their asses thrown out? Or alteast, get a refund? They will do that.

That sucks. You should hang out at classy establishments such as the Sherman Oaks Galleria. Where civilized folks attend. (like Scott and I)

So agree or disagree with my review?

24. Elensara

Elensara Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2002
    Claudia, I'll go see it. :D When? I've got class 'till 5:15 M-W and 'till 10pm Thursdays...

So DB won't be mad at me....
    I'm proud to say the very first concert I ever went to was the free Smashing Pumpkins one outside Target Center in downtown Minneapolis [July 17(?) 1998]. Cracker opened. I was 13...man, was that fun! I am sad I never got to see them in a more intimate (and cool) venue, like Roy Wilkens auditorium or something (I didn't get tix...and then it was too late. There was no way I could afford to buy tix to their farewell concerts in Chicago, much less convince some adult to drive with me and get a hotel...)

My first paying concert was next March (pretty sure), the Foo Fighters and Red Hot Chili Peppers at Target Center. We had terrible seats, which taught me early that if general admission/floor seats are gone, it's not worth going! Da Foo rocked! My friend and I knew little of the awesomeness of the Chili Peppers at this time; we went solely for the Foo Fighters.

25. JediBith

JediBith Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 6, 2001
    Love those Foos!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.