main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

LA, CA Darth-Bubbas reviews on life...

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by Darth-Bubba, Feb 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthHaskett

DarthHaskett Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 29, 2003
    The Foo's are cool. I haven't seen them live but their CDs are cool. We'll have to pick a day when we can see it. This weekend is not good.

I finally survived "The Secret Garden" and all I got was 30 seconds of Colin. He was so young. What a waste of time. I also watched an HBO movie called "Conspiracy" with Kenneth Brannaugh (I am sure I misspelled his name), Stanley Tucci, and Colin Firth (of course). It was really interesting but terrifying at the same time. It was about a secret meeting a bunch of Nazis had to discuss the "Jewish problem" and I guess was what eventually led to the Holocaust. It was disturbing because they spoke of the "ultimate solution" as though they were referring to exterminating vermin in your house but they were talking about actual people. Many of the people were threatened into agreeing with the leader, I think he was General Heyreich (or something like that). It made me feel very uncomfortable that anyone could hate that much. Thought provoking but really disturbing.

2. Elensara

Elensara Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2002
    I know what you mean. One of my books for Native American history ('American Holocaust') talks about some things that the Spanish, English, and Americans routinely did that were almost sickening. It's horrifying and mind-boggling what the "civilized" and "superior" peoples have done to other various peoples...

3. Darth-Bubba

Darth-Bubba Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 11, 2002
    Gee, is somebody going to post a review of Mean Girls? If somebody did, that would be cool. Be sure to mention cleavage and hotties.

4. JediRacer

JediRacer Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 5, 2000
    Mean Girls Starring Lindsey Lohan.
    Good Movie! I was fortunate to go to the World Premiere of this movie yesterday at the Arclight. Written by Tina Fey and produced by Lorne Michaels, both of Saturday Night Live. It was a surprisingly good movie. Lots of young girls with lots of cleavage. Now I feel like a perv. You happy now Bubba? That Lindsey Lohan.. she's cute!! But I'm like twice her age. She was born 9 ASW (9 years After Star Wars).

Ok, so it's not an Oscar contending movie, but it's a good date movie or something to see if you don't know what to do.

5. JediBith

JediBith Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 6, 2001
    Sara posts something deep...and we respond with T and A. I love L.A.!

6. JediRacer

JediRacer Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 5, 2000
    Since you put it that way JB,
    Mean Girls provides an interesting look into the world of "girl cliques" in high schools. This is a big issue that most people are unaware of. Acceptance by one's peers is important in human development. In this movie, a young pretty girl who has been home-schooled her whole life gets accepted into the "highest" of cliques...I won't spoil the rest of the movie. Although the movie is a comedy, it is a vehicle to expose this somewhat dirty, but true aspect of teen culture. Plus there's a lot of cleavage and tight tops.

7. Elensara

Apr 2, 2002
    I think I can only be superficially deep ('cause I either don't know what I'm talking about or I don't want to sound pretentious)...so thanks!

Hmm, other fun concerts...
    Coldplay last June in Chicago. That was a good show! I was a little wary when we got inside, 'cause, while I love Coldplay, I was in the mood for "rockin'." I wanted to JUMP. But, oh, did they deliver! I was surprised...I loved it. Some of the crowd was dumb though (preppie sorts who probably usually attend hip hop or pop concerts) and didn't know how to respond to rock (they sort of swayed).

Oh yeah, a friend and I went to Chicago because Coldplay was in Minneapolis in March (and I was here at school) and they were in LA May 31st or something (after I'd gone back to MN)...and Chicago was the closest they came back to MN in the summer. 6 hour road trip!

8. Darkliner

Darkliner Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 4, 2003
    I'm from chicago

9. Darth-Bubba

Nov 11, 2002
    yea, and regarding all the serious stuff J-R wrote, most important issue...

Even 17 year old girls can look hot with enough push up apparatus, tight blouses, and leather. Yumsters!
    Of course the best scene, when the sister was dancing to Milk Shake. Quality T N A!

So J-R, did you get any free concessions (popcorn or soda) at this opening night, red carpet galla? You are connected.

10. Jiltedtoo

Jiltedtoo Jedi Master star 4

Nov 18, 2002
    I saw Coldplay in Hollywood, back in 2002, or early 2003. Can't remember, but it was a great show.

11. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    Okay, "Love Actually" came out on DVD Tuesday so of course I picked it up. I saw it in the theatres and loved it. I love it again. Oh and Rodrigo Santoro, who plays Karl, is so super duper uber-hot. My goodness, I had completely forgotten! Most of his movies look like they are foreign ones so I am going to have to look for more English ones.

12. Darth-Bubba

Nov 11, 2002
    Some Kind of Monster, The Metallica Documentary Being released July 2004.

For Metallica Fans, an Excellent Movie.
    For Rock Fans, or Documentary fans, a Very good movie.

The two hour documentary takes you through Metallicas history as the biggest Metal Power Band over the last 20 years, selling over 90 million albums.

A few highlights: Basically, it shows the therapy required to make them all get along, which was a bit excessive. Shows the departure of Jason Newstead, (drummer of 14 years) The Death of Cliff Robertson (briefly) origiginal and founding drummer and a reconciliation with Dave Mustane. (Megadeth Foundeer)

It was a neat and enjoyable doc. showing the reality of the rehab process for Hetfield, the ego issues with Lars and James, and Kirk Hamet being a peace maker.
    I enjoyed it, and appreciated the various points of view the movie had.

Best of all, it shows the creation process, challenges,and sucesses of the newest album, St. Anger.

Highly recommend it if you even remotely like the band. Keep an eye out in July. I give it a "4 Paws Up" for this movie.

13. Jiltedtoo

Jiltedtoo Jedi Master star 4

Nov 18, 2002
    Speaking of a Documentary.

Just watched Spellbound. Interesting movie about kids in the National Spelling Bee.

14. Darth-Bubba

Nov 11, 2002
    sorry, I screwed up a few placed...

Jason Newstead was Bassist. Robertson was founding bassist.
    Dave Mustane is founding guitarrist.
    Sorry about mispellings...

Some Kind of Monster, The Metallica Documentary Being released July 2004. By Darth-Bubba

For Metallica Fans, an Excellent Movie.
    For Rock Fans, or Documentary fans, a Very good movie.

The two hour documentary takes you through Metallicas history as the biggest Metal Power Band over the last 20 years, selling over 90 million albums.

A few highlights: Basically, it shows the therapy required to make them all get along, which was a bit excessive. Shows the departure of Jason Newstead, (bassit of 14 years) The Death of Cliff Robertson (briefly) founding member and original bassit, and a reconciliation with Dave Mustane. (Megadeth Founder- first guitarist)

It was a neat and enjoyable doc. showing the reality of the rehab process for Hetfield, the ego issues with Lars and James, and Kirk Hamet being a peace maker. I enjoyed it, and appreciated the various points of view the movie had.

Best of all, it shows the creation process, challenges,and successes of the newest album, St. Anger.
    Highly recommend it if you even remotely like the band. Keep an eye out in July. I give it a "4 Paws Up" for this movie.

15. DannyB

DannyB Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 2, 2003
    I seen Metallica with Guns N' Roses at the Coliseum around 1992 or 93. This was just after James got burned a few weeks earlier. There was tension among the crowd not knowing if Axl would walk off the stage this night which he was doing at the time and started a riot in Montreal. Metallica put on such a good show they really outplayed G N R on this night. It was a great night because I took this really hot girl who was older than me and I held her hand during intermission. That was a big deal to me because I had never gone out with a girl that beautiful. I'm not up to date on Metallica info, why did Jason Newstead leave the band?

16. Darth-Bubba

Nov 11, 2002
    Danny,

I saw Metallica:

1. In Boston with GNR, and Faith No More where the Patriots play. Rocking Show. Metallica blew them away.
    1992 or 1993.

2. At Cal State Domingues with Suicidial Tendencies.
    One of the best rocking shows ever, period. Went alone, and loved it. Ironic, their bassist would eventually join Metallica. (Robert Trujillo)

3. Collisume about three eyars ago. Great Show, Korn opened. Missed Korn. :(

I think some other time, but I likely blacked out.. oh well.

Answer: Jason Newstead was with them for 14 years. He wanted to have a little creativity and create another band, or side project called EchoBrain. James basically said, OK, you can't focus on both, what do you want to do? So he started the band. (which according to the film, Kirk and Lars supported him)
    He asked to return, when they were looking agfain, but they declined. So basically, 14 solid years.

When MTV honored them on their show ICON, (once a year) it had their new bassist Rob Trujillo. On St. Anger album, Bob Rock played based. (Manager of Motley Cure, Bon Jovi, Metallica (all in the past)

Glad you had a hott ass chick as a date, that ROCKS! Hope you got some. :D

17. DannyB

Aug 2, 2003
    Hey thanks for the info DB. It was fun remembering that part of my life. How was Suicidal Tendencies? I remember when those guys were banned from playing in So.Cal back in the late 80's because there shows were just to hardcore. I seen this thing on MTV or was it VH1? 3 of the G N R guys are now in a band called Velvet Revolver. I wish Axl could have just pulled it together so they could have kept the band going. I had lunch with that girl about two months ago after not seeing her for seven years. It was a great reunion.

18. Darth-Bubba

Nov 11, 2002
    cool, Velvet Revolver. I get it!

You never answered my question:

Glad you had a hot chick as a date, that ROCKS! Hope you got some?? Just kidding.. [face_devil]

19. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    Okay, it's really not along the same vein as most of our movies but I snuck out to see "Raising Helen" which was a complete chick movie. It was cool, sort of silly, but touching none the less. The animated short before the movie was really disturbing.

20. DannyB

Aug 2, 2003
    I want so much to like Kate Hudson but there are two things that lower her appeal. One, she is married to that guy from the Black Crows and the second thing is that she will look like Goldie Hawn when see gets old,minus the plastic surgery. She is cute however. I say thumbs sideways.

21. Silent_Bob_West

Silent_Bob_West Jedi Master star 2

May 19, 2002
    I think these Rocker types need to stay away from the Kate Hudsons and only go out with Courney Love types. When Courtney was married to Kurt, I had no objections.

22. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    It's amazing how much Kate looks like Goldie but I still think she's cute. She's so incredibly skinny! Man! I enjoyed it though. I'm really looking forward to Harry on Friday. We're catching the 5:10 at the Paseo if anyone wants to join us.

23. Jundland_Jay

Jundland_Jay Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 18, 2003
    I saw Kate being interviewed by Ryan Seacrest on Monday.

1) Kate is sooooo hot, and has a great personality. that Counting Crows lughead doesnt deserve her.

2) Ryan Seacrest is a no-talent hack. (move over, George!)

24. DannyB

Aug 2, 2003
    Does anybody dig Rooney? I have heard two of their songs and I want to know if that CD is good.

25. Elensara

Apr 2, 2002
    I wanna know too. I like that "Shaking" song.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.