main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Darth Luke?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Chebeh, Sep 10, 2014.

1. the_sinister_hologram

the_sinister_hologram Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 3, 2012
    That's not entirely accurate. Yes, Luke has restored the Jedi, maybe even trained a few. So if there is at least one Jedi alive besides him in EP7, then his mission is complete. What follows afterwards is up in the air.

Maybe his destiny was just to restore the Jedi and pass on what he has learned. Once that's done... who knows what happens?
    Maybe the Emperor did foresee Luke's future "it is unavoidable, it is your destiny!" and the failure at the Dagobah cave may be indications of things to come.

After all it is now obvious that the story doesn't conclude with ROTJ. Restoring the Jedi Order doesn't mean also destroying the Sith/Dark Side. Anakin is the Chosen One, not Luke. Since we're getting a new trilogy, maybe Anakin's job isn't over yet.

--- the way I see it ---

• If the Skywalkers' fate is sealed, then Anakin was supposed to end the old and outdated Jedi Order.
    • Perhaps the next step towards "cleansing" the Light Side is for the Jedi Order to be reborn from the ashes.
    • Since Vader is clearly unable to achieve that, the Force had Luke chosen to be the one who brings Vader back to the Light.
    • Luke's job is to pass on what he has learned and establish at least the basis for a new and updated Jedi Order.
    • Anakin should now be able to pick up from where Luke left and thus fulfill his duty as the Chosen One and ultimately bring the Force back in the balance.

2. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    I agree with you.

Given what we know, RoTJ could mean Anakin returning and dying as a Jedi.

3. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
  4. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    No one said that one of the other characters can't go dark but why is that necessary? To me if you'd u need people going to the dark side for it to be good, your a failure as a filmmaker.

5. Jedi Older Code

Jedi Older Code Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2014
    Return of the Jedi can also mean Anakin's return from the dark side at the end of the film.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  6. hachijedi

hachijedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 22, 2012
    DARTH? Darth Luke. Really. Well how many younglings is he going to kill in Episode VII?. Luke is the opposite of his father and learned from his past and mistakes.

[​IMG]

CairnsTony and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  7. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Remind me, who choked Jabba Guards in RoTJ?

[​IMG]

8. the_sinister_hologram

the_sinister_hologram Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 3, 2012
    Drama. No drama, no conflict. No conflict, no story.
    All the previous 6 movies mirror each other and have similarities in theme and events. Having a Star Wars movie without the temptation of falling to the Dark Side would be like having an Alien(s) movie without facehuggers.

9. MillionthVoice

MillionthVoice Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    Were they choked to death?
    Were they defenseless and innocent?
    Did Luke use all his anger and hate to choke them?

Those poor piggies are getting a lot of mileage, but honestly all Luke needed to do was show them who's boss so they let him through.

10. Spy Vs Dog

Spy Vs Dog Jedi Master star 3

Jan 25, 2004
    I've never been sure than choking the two pig guys is necessarily dark side anyway, though I know lots of people offscreen have played it up and tried to define it. I only ever saw it as a show of strength to quickly introduce Luke as having grown in his power, and maybe show a little edge. Not to mention a practical means to get past two guards without having to use any weapons. (That's a really great scene because it tells you so much quickly and without any dialogue, so I'm not going to knock it.)

Yoda's entrance into Palpatine's office with the guards wasn't any less violent-looking, and I don't have cause to think they're any more alive or dead. And really you've got both Mace Windu and Yoda decapitating guys so and so forth and I think too much gets made out of what Jedi will or won't do.

11. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000

[​IMG]

[face_whistling]

Remind me, who demonstrated, twice, a willingness to die before turning to the dark side?

Revanfan1, EHT, DARTH_MUPPET and 9 others like this.
  12. hachijedi

hachijedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 22, 2012
    Luke only "Looked" Darkside in the opening of Jedi. Actually with the all Black, he looked Darkside the whole movie. He wasn't using the Darkside then. When he fought Vader, Ok he used it a little. But not at Jabba's Palace.

13. Spy Vs Dog

Spy Vs Dog Jedi Master star 3

Jan 25, 2004
    He's just not a villain. If they were going to go that route at all, it would make vastly more sense to use Leia. She's definitely got a strong sense of conviction and a small bit of arrogance, and has shown the capacity to choke a bitch. She's accustomed to power. But mostly, she hasn't had a real taste of the Force yet nor has she made it through that "dangerous time" that Luke barely did and he had Yoda. With a rookie teacher a lot could go wrong there.

Still, a big villain role is arguably more than Carrie Fisher can carry as an actress, especially at this stage of her career, but were you to make it more of a voice role with a mask it's not out of the question. [I know people will disagree with me, but I think a ton of actresses would have done just as well or better in the Leia role.]

Echo Base likes this.
  14. RyanForder

RyanForder Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 3, 2014
    Anakin was meant to restore balance to the force. Vader killed himself and the emperor meaning that there was no sith left in the galaxy. Luke was the only living (strong) force user in the galaxy. Doesn't that mean the force was unbalanced?

I'm all for Darth Luke, its entertaining to watch as i possibly could not call what would happen.

(I welcome the haters ;))

15. kwisatzh

kwisatzh Jedi Master star 4

Sep 30, 2014
    This. Thanks. Even him (53++):

[​IMG]

edit: by the way is Yoda snapping necks here?

[​IMG]

edit2: SW, everything is possible (both ways):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Darth Lurker likes this.
  16. tikkes_tessek

tikkes_tessek Jedi Youngling

Oct 18, 2014
    If I remember my Star Wars history correctly, Luke would have turned to the Dark Side in ROTJ and the sequel trilogy would have been about Leia redeeming him and defeating the Emperor. But, during or shortly after the making of ESB, Lucas decided to wrap things up with Luke rejecting the Dark Side. Over the years, the idea of a darker ROTJ gained a great mystique - Luke killing his father, Han and/or Lando dying, no Ewoks, and so forth. I think these unfulfilled desires are fueling the fan interest in tossing Luke's hero's journey out the window.

I have a strong feeling that Abrams will rely on a lot of retcons, including the origin of the Skywalkers, this Sith Inquisitor business, and other ideas that are popular here, including the return of some of the previous Sith villains. I say this because it's part of the formula for big-budget genre movies now, along with the idea of a chosen one, an obsession with genetic engineering/super soldiers, villains allowing themselves to be captured, everybody being related to each other, and other tropes that both Abrams and Lucas have used before.

But the best way to continue the story that was actually told in Return of the Jedi is to address the temptation of the Dark Side with new characters and under new circumstances. Dark Empire was probably the best attempt anyone could have made at a Darth Luke story. Time for something new.

17. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    I think it might not be casual that there are two different baddies on the leaked art. Very different from each other. If someone came and said me one of those is Palpatine and the other is Luke, I would buy it.

This movie contains a shacker, we better be prepared.

18. nld3

nld3 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 29, 2012
    I didn't know they were good guys. And he didn't kill them. It really looks more like a push than a choke.

19. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    Okay but your that flawed as a filmmaker that to bring those elements , people who are hero's have to fall? Luke has to fall?

20. CairnsTony

CairnsTony Force Ghost star 5

May 7, 2014
    I think you're taking the concept art too literally. We have no real evidence that they are separate characters. They could easily be different realisations of the same villain at different stages of production. I wouldn't be at all surprised to discover that none of the the villains in this movie are even cyborgs.

You only have to look at concept art from the previous movies to see how much doesn't even make it into the final film. Just look at all the concept art of Grievous! Most of it looks nothing like the character we got, yet you would never have guessed that they were all pictures of the same character.

We can infer far less from the concept art than one may think, and I'd have a hell of a job trying to figure out any of the plot from this stuff.

21. DARTH MUPPET

DARTH MUPPET Jedi Grand Master star 3

Apr 16, 2001
    What CairnsTony said... I literally could not have said it better myself!

CairnsTony likes this.
  22. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    Imagine if Abrams purposely leaked Khan for STID then BC ended up NOT being Khan to all of our surprise!

Just like it was a given that the Mandarin was the villain in IM3 but he wasn't, yet that wasn't leaked until very close to the film's premier (at least from what I remember).

Well imagine this. Most people are not fond of Luke being any kind of villain whatsoever. However, some, after mulling it, get used to it. They wish to see how things play out. Time comes for the movie's opening (or at least sneak peak showings) and the world assumes and has gotten used to the idea that Luke will be evil in some way. For most of the film, we are led to believe that. We never see the face of the so-called Luke villain and assume they are trying to hide the fact that it's actually Luke, yet EVERYONE knows it's Luke because it's been "spoiled" for a long time. It seems like Abrams is trying to hide what everyone knows and it seems to backfire.

But at the climax of the film, the figure who we have been made to believe is Luke, is someone else. THEN, the REAL Luke, beard and all, comes to the rescue in a grand entrance. The crowd goes absolutely absurd and we get a wickedly cool fight between Luke and the villain who has tried to seduce Daisykira.

However, the bad guys gets away and it looks as though Luke let him. Why? There's enough time in the film for Luke to actually talk with Daisy and explain that killing him would be hasty. The bad guys has not been working alone. He's following someone else's orders and Luke, having waited patiently for this moment, now has enough info to track him and find out where he's from, where he's going, and who he's reporting to. It also becomes apparent that this bad guy who has escaped now has possession of Luke's saber that was found in the beginning of the movie. The bad guys are up to something and the lightsaber was part of the puzzle. But Luke needs to confront the MAIN bad guy and suspects that with this lightsaber, that big bad baddie will finally come into the open.

23. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Luke is obviously giving a friendly wave to those guards.

Satipo likes this.
  24. JamesSkywalker

JamesSkywalker Jedi Master

Jun 8, 2011
    Luke is not going to fall to the dark side I don't think Lucas would allow it. I was fine (not happy but fine) with Dark Empire, but that was because his fall was temporary and he wasn't really that bad. And he was still young, Mark Hamil is too old to fall for that bs if he falls to the dark side then I will be very disappointed. I am an Eu fan I have read basically every comic and every book ever made, I know that doesn't count and I know it is unpopular on here but if 60 year old luke is or becomes a sith I will be very very disappointed and will feel that the Original Trilogy has been shat upon. Remember that South Park episode about the new Indiana Jones movie, well thats how I will feel. I know its popular to hate on people like me who like the EU despite its numerous flaws but even the EU would be better than that bantha fodder. Bring on the hate.

JediMatteus likes this.
  25. plaidphoenix

plaidphoenix Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2013
    He's telling them, "Hey, why don't you come over to my place for breakfast? I've got blue milk and pancakes."