main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Darth Luke?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Chebeh, Sep 10, 2014.

1. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012

I think the one 'wrapped' issue that will suddenly be negated is the most obvious one. The Empire will still exist.

2. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    Anakin's already been there done this -

The ONLY version of Darth Luke that I ever want to see is this:

[​IMG]

3. DJTP

DJTP Jedi Youngling

Oct 21, 2014
    Any chance that Luke, who may have been "missing" for a number of years, living alone (on Skilleg Michael) has been learning to bring a certain force ghost back to a physical form? Is the mysterious 'Grave Robber' Anakin Skywalker in his younger form (now that Hayden's ROTJ reappearance is canon). There was an interesting article about the Jedi not being as pure or good as they once were. Maybe Luke has dabbled with the darkside to make this happen. But why? For what purpose? But think, Vader, in the suit, fighting on the good side. Wild speculation, but hey.....

4. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    That is something I cannot see happening at all. Will formerly dead Jedi come back? That would be something for the other episodes to tackle, but that's not going to be where Luke is or what he was doing.

Return of the Jedi Who then Falls Anyway Because **** You​
    While this was sarcastic, it actually makes sense. The idea of "return of the jedi" from a quote standpoint could have meant that Anakin returned from the Sith to be a Jedi or that the Jedi order has returned via Luke.

But even still, just because the Jedi have/has returned, doesn't mean they/he can't fall from grace again due to something else. All part of the ups and downs in life.

5. jedijax

May 2, 2013
    double post-please disregard

6. SaintKenobi1322

SaintKenobi1322 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 17, 2013
    I am suspicious of this whole 'Luke has been missing/was in exile' for 30 years thing.

First off, how do you hold a Jedi Knight captive for 30 years?

What in Luke's character suggests he would be away from his friends (and sister) for 30 years?

7. jedijax

May 2, 2013
    I just realized that Luke hiding away while his apprentice becomes evil and being lured back into action by a new generation is exactly what Obi-Wan did. The reasons suggested here are different, but it's actually the same sorta concept.

8. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    An apprentice that turned evil because of the loss of a beloved one.

Nostalgia.

9. SaintKenobi1322

Jul 17, 2013
    That's a fine point, but why would Luke go into hiding? How can you 'pass on what you have learned' while in exile? What would be so traumatic that he would leave his friends, sister and comrades who need him to finish ridding the galaxy of the Empire and establishing some kind of new order? I can't get my head around that.

The difference here too is that we got an entire trilogy, to paraphrase GL, ' to explain why Obi-Wan is out in the desert waiting for something to happen.' We know how Kenobi got there and why.

The problem with all these 'Luke is evil' or 'Luke is missing' or 'Luke is a cyborg' theories is that all of them will have to happen off-screen, and I have a hard time believing that. We aren't going have an Episode 6.5 to explain Luke's turning or severe injuries. That's a lot to just dump on an audience, and Star Wars has never revealed major plot points through flash-backs.

I guess that could change, but again, it doesn't fit, IMO.

10. Bullhead CIty

Bullhead CIty Jedi Master star 3

Dec 1, 2012
    With Lucas' comments in the past about the ST being more about moral ambiguity than black and white issues, I could see a Skywalker family divided with some forming an *alliance* with the Empire and fighting alongside them against an as-yet unnamed enemy, while others reject that and stay at odds with all.

As crazy as this sounds, I could see Luke fighting for the Empire's interests. Not unlike the PT Jedi, (knowingly or not), fighting for Palpatine's interests.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  11. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    Yeah, it would be pure hackery. Then again, all ST Into Darkness was was a rehash/remake, so JJ does have some unimaginative traits in his recent work.

There's a lot about the ST that sounds like crap to me-the whole PT apology tour bit and them acting like Han Solo is Star Wars.

If Luke were the villain and if he was defeated and killed by Han somehow in the end of VII, I would probably never go to another SW movie and disregard everything past I-VI.

T-R- and ChildOfWinds like this.
  12. jedijax

May 2, 2013
    That's what makes this one so difficult. When ANH came out, it was just a great adventure. When ESB came out, we found out Vader was Luke's father and wanted to find out in ROTJ if it was true and how Luke would handle it and finally defeat the Empire.

When the PT came out, we knew exactly where it was going. There were many theories on how it would happen.

This time, we don't know where we're going or how it's supposed to end. We don't even know the purpose or intention. That's one thing that we really need to find out at least soon after the start of the new year so that we know what it is we are supposed to be looking forward to. All of the theories, wild assumptions, and crazy speculation all lead to different places because nobody really knows what the film is about.

Vohnkar, Rookhelm and JediFan215 like this.
  13. SkywalkerOG

SkywalkerOG Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 19, 2014
    If luke is the villain it totally ruins ROTJ as many people have stated if there's a new sith then it kills the vader redemption and the prophecy of the chosen one so it puts the writers for VII in a tough spot they have the sith inquisitor option which I don't mind but in all honesty I do not want darth luke at all so I wouldn't mind if there was a new Sith Lord I always thought the prophecy of anakin just made things more complicated he killed 1 Sith Lord and a ton of Jedi I don't see how that brings balance to the force
    I think if fans let go of the prophecy and just let there be a new sith the movie can be a lot less complicated

Redimet and JediMatteus like this.
  14. jedijax

May 2, 2013
    I was completely exhausted reading that post. I feel like I have to come up for air in search of a period.

15. PCCViking

PCCViking 6x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014
    Maybe Luke isn't really Darth Luke, but to the public, he is.

The Rebel Alliance and the Empire come to a stalemate and end in a protracted cold war. At some point, the Rebel Alliance/Republic starts becoming corrupt, especially in its anti-Imperial tactics. The Empire tries to point out the hypocrisy, but the Republic dismisses it as Imperial propaganda. During this time, a dark side user infiltrates the Republic, while the Empire, while still at least authoritarian, lessens its brutality (ala under Pelleaon (sp?) in Legends). Luke discovers the truth and works with some Imperial officials. The Republic uses this knowledge to proclaim Luke as Vader's successor, especially if it's known that he's Vader's son.

Luke would still be seen as "Darth Luke," without actually being Darth Luke. It's all in the propaganda.

16. Rookhelm

Rookhelm Jedi Master star 4

Sep 22, 2014
    Someone had mentioned a propaganda idea earlier, and I think it's brilliant. What better way to discredit someone than to proclaim they are the cyborg (even if it's just a hand) son of the galaxy's most hated cyborg

17. PCCViking

PCCViking 6x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014

And in case the New Republic being corrupted by a dark sider is too contrived, there's always their skepticism towards force users given the Emperor and Darth Vader, even though Luke helped bring them down.

18. SaintKenobi1322

Jul 17, 2013
    But Into Darkness took place in an alternate reality in a reboot. This is a continuation, not a reboot, so I don't think that option would be available to JJ. Besides, he was given a broad story to flesh out, not start from scratch.

Between Luke and Han, I don't think you have to worry about Luke being the one killed at the end of VII. IX maybe, but not VII.

And speaking of Trek, if they bring these characters back just to kill them off on screen -- a la Kirk Prime in Generations -- I am going to be severely pissed off.

19. jedijax

May 2, 2013
    Disney and Lucasfilm have the makings for a GREAT viral marketing scheme with this evil Luke bit.

20. Redimet

Redimet Jedi Master star 4

Mar 2, 2014
    I do love the idea of Luke being betrayed as a bad guy in the public eye but really he isn't and is on the run but evil Luke I hate the idea.

21. Royale w/ Codeine

Royale w/ Codeine Jedi Master star 4

May 19, 2014
    At the "thought" of the loss of a beloved one.;)

22. SaintKenobi1322

Jul 17, 2013
    Like in The Dark Knight? It didn't make any sense in that movie either. Seriously; I still don't understand why Batman had to take the fall for Harvey Dent. Why not just blame all of it on The Joker?

23. Redimet

Redimet Jedi Master star 4

Mar 2, 2014
    Well Luke would not have taken the blame. It would have been Imperial propaganda that would then intern maybe have the Rebels turn on him for being the son of Vader so everyone wants him dead or in prison.

24. jedijax

May 2, 2013
    It's amazing how they can create a sense of nostalgia but make it different at the same time by twisting or reversing what they've done before.

Dra--- likes this.
  25. SaintKenobi1322

Jul 17, 2013
    Oh, that's different then. Yeah, my bad. I see what you are saying now. Yeah, it could work.

Redimet likes this.