Darth Malak's Voice

Discussion in 'Fan Audio' started by evilottojr, Mar 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. evilottojr Jedi Padawan

How do I get that raspy, metallic sound of Darth Malak's voice?
    Is there a program I can use or do I just talk through a metal pipe?
  2. Jedi Gunny Yahtzee Host

Game Host
    star 8
    I seem to think that a "paper-cup telephone" could work for the raspy effect, while you could tape some metal into the cup to get both effects. Give it a shot; you've got nothing to lose!
  3. Uilmuteiz RSA Emeritus

star 4
    There's actually 2 major effects to that voice:
    1- depth
    2- metallic noise

The most difficult to achieve is the metallic noise effect, BUT if you get lucky and you manage to score one of these old "spring" microphone from the dollar store, you're on your way to business.

If you get one of those, and you talk into a paint bucket, you should achieve something rather interestingly close.
  4. Jedi Gunny Yahtzee Host

Game Host
    star 8
    Oh yeah, talk into a paint bucket. There's enough reverberations in one of those things to lower your sound. That should work.
  5. brianfreytag Jedi Padawan

I've attempted to do something like this before in the past, and I find that if you have the correct recording software (i.e. Garage Band for Mac) that if you tweak some of the built in filters enough you can create that sound. I know that I made a pretty convincing Darth Vader once. The filters turned my voice to sound a lot like James Earl Jones and made it electronic. The hard part was using the same inflection in my voice. That is usually the key. Using the same "accent" and raising and dropping the volume and inflections in your voices to sound like that particular character.

I'm not 100% sure of audio creation on Windows. When I do anything like that, I hop over to my Mac. Thank you iLife.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.