main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Darth Maul as the one bossing around the Trade federation in TPM instead of sidious

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Rebel Scumb, Apr 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rebel Scumb

Rebel Scumb Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 22, 1999
    One of the main complaints that was leveled at TPM by fans was that Darth Maul should of had a bit more screen time and dialogue. Its sad that his cool 'fear' monologue was not used.

In any event, I was thinking it might of worked well to take all of the sidious scenes where he is a hologram, and just give those scenes to Maul. Then Sidious would only appear in the one scene on the balcony on coruscant, which is sort of how it is in AotC where sidious is only in one scene and the rest is just dooku. It also seems more in keeping with Sidious' means of operation, keeping his henchmen at arms length, so the TF would never even know about Sidious. and we would still have all the wonderful Palpatine scenes.

Just a thought

2. The-D

The-D Jedi Master star 4

May 18, 2005
    Good thought.

Maybe we should get Parks back in his Maul makeup and shoot some footage for the new DVD's :)

That would give us our Darth Maul extended screetime, and also add some mystery to Sidious's character.

3. JMaster Luke

JMaster Luke Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 7, 2000
    Think of how cool i'd be to hear Maul say "wipe them out.......allll of them"

4. Darth_Spartan

Darth_Spartan Jedi Youngling star 2

May 16, 2005
    That could definately work. I'm happy that I'm not the only one who loves Darth Maul so much and wants to see more of him.

5. -MJOLNIR-

-MJOLNIR- Jedi Youngling star 1

May 14, 2005
    That would be much better.

But I would like:

"This is my master, Darth Sidious." INstead of apprentice: darth maul. What doy uo think

6. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    I did this in my rewrite. Maul basically has Sidious' early role. We only hear of Maul's "master" at the end, but don't see him until episode 2.

It just works better and streamlines things. It also keeps things somewhat mysterious while giving Maul the bigger role he deserved.

7. sith_rising

sith_rising Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    I like him as he is. If he was strutting around barking out orders and strangling underlings, people would have thought he was just a ripoff of Vader. Instead, he does only what he is told and tries to stay out of the light. I'm glad that he only has a few lines and dies in the first movie, it makes him very interesting, and the TPM duel will always be remembered because of him.

8. Darth_Alexander13

Darth_Alexander13 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 3, 2005
    i think darth maul should have had all of sidious's scenes in tpm, or even beter yet, the characters of maul and sidious could have been swapted. and palpy could have bee the satan looking sith whitch would have been much cooler.

9. Guy DuBlanc

Guy DuBlanc Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 12, 2000
    Cool idea. But as much as I like Maul, Sidious is just too important, not only to the PT, but to the Saga. According to Lucas, he is, after all, the phantom menace himself.

You can get away without Sidious in Ep2 only because he was established so well in TPM.

I know Palpatine was slowly introduced in the OT, but now that the Saga is complete, it's different (and better).

Besides, all the Sidious scenes in TPM are just so great as they are.

10. Sith_Lightning

Sith_Lightning Jedi Youngling

Jun 18, 2005
    I like Sidious saying those lines too. Maul is the silent apprentice, and so it wouldn't be very Maul-like for him to be on the hologram giving the commands. How many lines did Maul have anyway?

11. WitchKing66

WitchKing66 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2005

lets remember

Coresucant balcony scene ==> "If the trade federations is correct i should have no .... Tatoinne is ... Soon we will reveal ourselves to the Jedi, soon we will revenge"

Naboo ==> sidious ==> Lord Maul be mindfull Maul ==> "Yes Master"

thats it i think

12. Leonard_Shelby

Leonard_Shelby Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 31, 2002
    I like the Sidious hologram scenes. GL says that he appears as a hologram initially to mirror his first appearance in the OT. I think it also gives him a good deal of mystery, as he's just some dude who appears via hologram instead of face-to-face. Just because he has more screentime than Maul doesn't mean that he has less mystery.

And I also dig the fact that Maul is quiet. Makes him much scarier. I like to think that he stood with those Nemoidians and didn't say a single word, scarin' the living hell outta them.

At one time, yes, I would've loved for Maul to have more dialogue...as his voice is cool and evil...but I kinda like it how it is. He's the silent type. The silent and deadly type.

13. Timothor

Timothor Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 12, 2004
    [face_dancing] More lines would be nice - but Palpy keeps his.

Perhaps him threatening the Neimoidians to get out of his way or something at some point.

14. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    If he was strutting around barking out orders and strangling underlings, people would have thought he was just a ripoff of Vader

Who said this? Nice strawman.

15. WitchKing66

Jun 17, 2005

i want to see the following scene in TPM

Lord Maul after finishing his affairs on Tatoinne, takes his TIE-style craft and flies away toward Naboo.
    there there is a scene that shows Mauls'TIE-style craft appraoching the main Driod Control Ship. then the camera switches to a conferance room inside the Driod Control Ship where the trade federation guys talking about their mischief on naboo, and one of the trade federation guy start saying that "we should never made this deal, the senate will soon know everything...". his voice is cut short by Viceroy and Lord Maul that enter together the conferance room with Viceroy saying that we are committed and we cant back down now. then one of the trade guys try to protest the deal with the Sith Lords, Lord Maul force chokes him to death.

does this sound familir

16. Darthdias

Darthdias Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 12, 2004
    The relationship between Maul and Gunray is meant to somewhat mirror the one between Tarkin and Vader, but not that exactly :) I take it that was a joke right? Lucas loves paralels but he isn't gonna copy an exact scene from ANH.

Besides, the nemodians are cowards, I can't really se any of them speaking to Maul the way the imperial spoke to Vader. And if someone would dare to, they would die since I can't imagaine Gunray having enough balls to say "Enough of this. Maul, release him!

17. Annina

Annina Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 9, 2005
    Maybe,but didn't Gunray also speak against Grievous in RotS "I have doubts about your ability to keep us safe." I would think that he was just as afraid of Grievous as he was Maul,so maybe it IS possible something like that could have happened.But I'm still glad Maul is as quiet as he is.After all he is just the obedient and dangerous Sith apprentice in the movie...I was happy with his role six years ago and still am.

18. nyjet10

nyjet10 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 1, 2005

I would be okay with this scene if at the end this was added:

Viceroy says "Lord Maul please end this."

Maul replies "As you wish."

Maul stops force choking him, turns away only to come back and behead him.

19. WitchKing66

Jun 17, 2005
    think about that Death Star is the Droid Control Ship and the massive star destroyer would Maul's small TIE craft, that would be cool

you r right they are cowards but in my scene Maul chokes and kills him and the viceory cant do anything about it, thats a major difference

i guess i am just hoping for some Maul movie-character development

20. WitchKing66

Jun 17, 2005
    that would be AWESOME but the beheading should be done with a single-blade lightsaber

21. Sith_Lightning

Sith_Lightning Jedi Youngling

Jun 18, 2005
    Gunray and Maul are sort of like Tarkin and Vader but not exactly. Tarkin is a brilliant tactitian who is a fearless leader ("Surrender? In our moment of triumph? I think you overestimate their chances."). Gunray, when it all comes down to it is a coward at heart ("I have doubts about your ability to keep us safe"). But Tarkin didn't have a bunch of Jedi chasing after him either.

22. Quixotic-Sith

Quixotic-Sith Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 22, 2001
    I would have liked to see Maul play Dooku's role. I wasn't wild with GL talking about how Palpy kept needing new apprentices. The "Lost Jedi" subplot didn't really pan out, so it could have been scrapped entirely.

23. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    I like Maul's role the way it is. Look cool, fight well, die. I think he, like some other characters, works well in the short and sweet role, but would become a caricature if his role was expanded much. I don't think he spoke particularly convincingly in TPM. Too much talkj would diminish his character IMHO.

24. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    Eh... I like it as it is. Just because he doesn't have a lot of lines doesn't mean he was underused. If he talked so much, it'd ruin his little 'mysterius' thing he's going on.

And the scenes flow much better with Sidious as the main protagonist. I wouldn't change this at all. Just doesn't feel right.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.