main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Darth Maul-esque horns?

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Connemara, Oct 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Connemara

Connemara Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 18, 2000
    I'm looking for a more alien look for my Halloween costume, and was wondering if anyone knew a cheap and easy way to make Darth Maul horns. I'm not sure I'm gonna make the full crown of horns he has, I don't know how many I am going to have, but I have a black wig and I need to figure out a way to attach them to that. But I can't for the life of me figure out how to design Maul's horns, much less attach them to a wig! :(

2. DARTHLARS

DARTHLARS Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    I have seen a Maul with horns made from plaster bandages, glued to a black stocking stretched over the back of the head. It looked pretty good.

I have made a few latex horns for a Zabrak character of mine. It was not too costly, not very difficult but it took a little bit of work .. and it looks professional.

I sculpted it in an oil-based modeling clay. Slabbed some plaster over it. When the plaster had dried and I had removed the clay, I brushed a couple of layers of flesh-colored latex inside the mold. When each horn had dried, I painted a "bone" color on the top with acrylic paint. I attach them to my forehead using "Mastix" glue.

I did not use any fancy tools or expensive professional materials except for the Mastix. I have found all the supplies in the same arts-and-crafts store. It cost me about $25 (USD, converted from SEK) in total, but I have done quite a lot of different things and I have not used half of it yet. The clay is reusable, and because it is oil-based, plaster does not stick to it.
    I will wear my horns for the first time in public to a convention in two weeks. Expect pictures. :)

3. Connemara

Connemara Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 18, 2000
    Hmmm...trouble is I'm stripped for cash in the way of I can't afford much of anything. I used to have a modeling clay of sorts that I could use, but I can't think if I still have it.

4. war_monger

war_monger Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 26, 2003
    here is the only place I know of, there are probably a million more :)

5. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    DL, I can't wait to see your horns!!!!

6. Broncos_Slain

Broncos_Slain Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 5, 2003
    A friend of mine actually made some out of styrofoam that he "carved" and then painted accordingly. They're obviously real light and can be adhered right to your scalp/bald cap as necessary.

I purchased mine from a costume shop. They're made of rubber, and are hollow. I think they were packaged as Demon Horns or some such.

7. SithLordBryJaTomarr

SithLordBryJaTomarr Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 16, 2002
    I've been trying to make some Zabrak horns for a skull mask. As I, too, am pretty much broke, purchasing decent looking horns isn't something I want to do. Besides, I really can't find any that would suit what I'm looking for. My solution? I started making my own out of a scrap block of wood. Strange choice, I know, but I was going for texture and durability. So far, I've only had time to get one of three done. It's a lot of work to get them just right, but if it'll save some $$$ in the long run, it's worth it. Just thought I'd mention that other **tedious** option.

8. SithKittie

SithKittie Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 5, 2003
    woochie has darth maul ish horns. actually, on the package there's a pic of the top of a head painted red adn black with teh horns :p they're not completely' accurate and they're just plain beigeish latex, but they're not too expensive. They'd be good for a non-highly detailed costume. I saw them at a local costume shop. cinema secrets has them available to order. Non replicas, of course (covering my bum just in case).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.