main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Darth Maul in Star Wars Rebels

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by StarWarsFan91, May 22, 2013.

1. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Rebels suffered from schizophrenic and juvenile storytelling. I dont much care for that series, while TCW was better, but still not as good as Marvel or the films..

The Marvel comic established that Kenobi had a very tough time in his hermitage post ROTS on Tatooine, largely cause he was a warrior at heart and a Jedi one that(including being an ex-general). I think it very possible that Kenobi took a page from Maul's book and allowed for self sacrifice onboard the DS. It was pretty clear at the end neither Maul nor Kenobi really hated eachother as either let on despite their different paths. Maul was always a warrior and his own code of warrior honor, even if he's an evil one(largely due to being brought up as a Sith and believing the Jedi are evil cause of it ). I think the "Twin Suns" refers to Maul and Kenobi. I would say Maul was making things right in his own way, by handing Kenobi the victory as he viewed him with respect as an equal, but I think the self sacrifice is more in line with the Hero Journey's, afterwards comes rebirth or the resurrection. Maul was in his own dark version of the Hero's Journey. And he kept saving Ezra's life. So there is something clearly present . The waters of life was replenished with Ventress's body post DD, and Maul was using and harnessing the magicks and summoning the dead on Dathomir. Its very likely he will return at some point post ROTJ .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Maul continued being a very powerful Dark Sider on Rebels and his powers were growing not shrinking on that program well after Malachor . Whether or not he was completely Sith anymore, there was some lightside shining through so he may of been nearing a more Jedi path, and becoming something that never existed before(although Ventress was on a similar path but she too was a Dathomirian so it may be partly genetic). Namely when you bridge it with Nightsister/Nightbrother religion that he was adept in on some level.

Sudooku likes this.
  2. Sudooku

Sudooku Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2014
    I also think that twin suns refer to Maul and Obi-Wan. And... look at Maul's eyes in the final moment. Soon both suns will be extinguished, at least in a physical way.

3. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Filoni acknowledged Maul power/influence was shrinking and thus why he was trying to turn Ezra. Maul in Rebels was all about building a legacy and passing something on to the next generation.

Erkan12 likes this.
  4. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    Agreed.

Also, do you remember where he said that ?

5. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    It was on a Rebels recon, might have been the season finale of the second year. But I recall him explaining the relationship with Ezra.

6. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    Which is such nonsense. Maul had no influence when he was revived on Dathomir. He had to build it up from scratch with his brother's help. Together, they created an nascent Empire before Sidious showed up to destroy them.

Maul left no legacy behind because he was completely focused on finding Obi-Wan. He never made a real attempt to corrupt Ezra. Just a bunch of half-hearted conversations.

Maul was pretty broken when he left Malachor. Losing his brother, mother and Empire broke something inside him. Rebels Maul was a broken shadow of his Clone Wars self. At this point in life, Maul was unable to begin again. He had lost the will to conquer, to dominate.

This largely due to his complete lack of support and allies. He had nobody left to aide him and encourage him. After Lotho Minor, Maul had his mother and his brother to help him. After Malachor he has nobody. There's no one to rebuild him again and encourage him to keep going and begin anew.

"Come, let us fix what has been broken."
    [​IMG]

"You can begin again, brother."
    [​IMG]

Maul couldn't have done any of the things he did in the Clone Wars without the love and support of his family. With them no longer by his side, he didn't have the resolve to go on by the time of Rebels. It's a subtle thing that shows us how he's no longer a Sith. Maul cared about his family. Something no Sith Lord would ever do.

The Shadow Emperor and Sudooku like this.
  7. Sudooku

May 31, 2014
    Maul reminds me on the mother in "Mother Courage" by Bertolt Brecht. He always tries to gain advantage but fails miserably. Savage and Talzin are his two Katjas, he 's losing through his hazardous journey.

And Maul is the "Idiot" of Dostojewski. He is freed from his Lotho Minor madness by Talzin and Savage. After these two are gone, madness comes back.

Vialco likes this.
  8. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007
    Very true. And honestly, the fact that Maul becomes so aimless and purposeless is an indication of how weak he truly is. The Jedi believe that there's always hope, as long as there's breath in your lungs and a beat in your heart, there's hope for a better tomorrow. Maul's only hope in Rebels was a bitter, hollow revenge against Kenobi. Which he couldn't even carry out.

9. Erkan12

Nov 27, 2013
    I disagree. Yoda, Kenobi, Dooku even Anakin felt his presence after his revival. Maul was a threat to all of them in the Clone Wars, while in the Rebels he wasn't.

10. Sannom

Sannom Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2011
    Yeah, but one couldn't predict how much of a problem he turned out to be. In fact, despite his brother's help, Maul's rise to power started with a stroke of luck : his rescue by the Death Watch. They were the perfect group upon which build his power base, strong, competent and sharing with Maul the same views about strength and weakness.

11. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    I think the point of Maul is that yes he temporarily gets power but then something happens which then gets him back to square one, rinse and repeat. In long term, he always lose everything he tried to build.

Vialco likes this.
  12. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015

"In my experience, there's no such thing as luck."

13. Erkan12

Nov 27, 2013
    Yeah, Maul was already trying to establish an underworld crime syndicate so it was going to happen one way or another, only his survival was lucky but since this is Maul, his speciality is surviving.

14. Sudooku

May 31, 2014
    Actually I was disappointed after "Twin-Suns". Sure, this episode had it's great moments. Nevertheless I expected some red herring to make this episode different from the comic "Old Wounds"; not to be it's second flush as the shere announcement of "Twin-Suns" did insinuate. I did not want to believe until the very last moment of that mini-duel of fate, that Filoni would really allow such an obvious rehash of an existing comic. Until the final end (for me the end of S. 3, never understood they placed two more episodes after this) I hoped against all odds for something spectacular unexpected - but that wasn't going to happen.

I wished Maul some happiness, some relief - in vain. Maybe the blinding of Kanan was his point of no return in Rebels. And why Maul had to be always inferior (or barely equal before an interruption) in duels against lightsiders while he dominated the present darksiders easily? That seemed to be such a darn Maul-related dogma in Rebels. Like the law that lightsiders are not about to kill bad persons directly. Ezra killing the 7th sister would have been an intriguing and realistic part of his life as a Rebel because there is IMHO no space for mercy in such situations. Thanks to the seven moons of Bogden Maul was around to do the dirty killing of the Mirialan like he did with the rest of the new dark brother- and sisterhood at the end of season 2. That was it, what Maul was good for? Can't believe it.

BTW: Sabine was also lucky that way that her mom did kill for her the treacherous Viceroy. I found that killing delegation so completely useless.

Anyway - there were enough planets and systems around which were completely independent from Palpatine's empire. I downloaded of a GFFA-map recently, which shows the Hapes cluster in the Inner Rim. For Hapan had some connections to Dathomir later this could have been some safe haven for Maul. Enough space to give Dathomir's presumably last son some useful playing ground to be a new third force.

Vialco likes this.
  15. MrDarth0

Oct 3, 2015

I don't think the entire Hapan Cluster think is canon anymore.

At least I don't remember them being mentioned in anything I read since the reboot and I've read pretty much (almost) everything.

16. Sudooku

May 31, 2014
    MrDarth0: My posting was not so much about Hapes but more about the idea of areas independent from Palpy's Empire as a potential hiding place for Maul.

17. MrDarth0

Oct 3, 2015

Yeah, I agree.

In this new continuity it actually looks like the Empire has a much weaker grip on the galaxy and controls less territory than the Legends Empire.

So plenty of hiding places for Maul, especially if he would just go to some under developed planet like Obi-Wan did. But that's probably not what Maul wanted.

18. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Seeing how Maul was now a shadow of his former self what could he have really done other then to go to Tatooine?

Vialco likes this.
  19. Meeko Ghintee

Meeko Ghintee Jedi Master star 3

Mar 6, 2015
    Story I would have preferred is Maul continuing to manipulate Ezra to the dark side and starting his own rebellion against Palpatine. Basically have him argue that the Dark side cannot be defeated with violence/war through the light side so Ezra and perhaps the Rebellion as a whole needs to embrace the dark. I mean, just think how how well the setting sets this up-all the Jedi are dead, and Palpatine controls everything. Maybe Maul could expose the rebellion to his former underworld contacts like Black Sun/The Pikes (perhaps to the glee of more ruthless rebels like Saw). Then Maul is less an accessory to the story of the Rebellion and more an interesting twist to it. The rebellion gets to decide which way they want to go. Should they trust this person? Does he have our interests at heart or is he just manipulating us to become emperor himself? Perhaps one of the most interesting parts of a rebellion or revolution is the fact that it is ultimately a decision to resolve matters non-peacefully. It's inherently violent. Maul could have been used as an interesting tool to look at that dynamic. Instead he was just snuffed out.

MrDarth0, darkspine10 and Sudooku like this.
  20. Sudooku

May 31, 2014
    Meeko Ghintee: Ketsu Onyo would have been pleased by your approach of keeping Maul in the game like this. :)

21. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007
    "I seek something far different yet equally elusive. Hope."

Maul thought that he could restore his spirit and purpose by finally killing Obi-Wan once and for all.

22. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Yet at the same time Sam Witwer is saying he went to tattooing to end it all one way or the other

23. Sannom

Sannom Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2011
    Are you implying that Maul actually asked the Holocrons to give him Obi-Wan's location?

24. Sudooku

May 31, 2014
    Actually Maul wanted to destroy all of his enemies. He learnt only by connecting the holocrons that Obi-Wan was still alive. Only then he decided to visit him under the Twin Suns, where the holocrons did locate his old foe and after he connected his spirit with the spirit of Ezra under the magic spells and green mist of Dathomir's forlorn witches.

25. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007
    I'm not implying it, I'm stating it outright. Maul and Ezra were looking for two different things in the Holocron Convergence.

Maul wanted to find an "elusive hope". Ezra wanted to find the secret to destroying the Sith.

The Holocron showed them Obi-Wan Kenobi and the planet Tatooine.

That was the answer to both their questions. Though I think that Maul's will overrode Ezra's there. Obi-Wan never told Ezra the secret to destroying the Sith. Ezra would have been better served by being shown an image of Luke and Tatooine. Then he and Kanan could have found Luke and trained him. He's the New Hope. An untrained, undamaged Skywalker with the potential of the Chosen One.