main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Darth Maul in Star Wars Rebels

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by StarWarsFan91, May 22, 2013.

1. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    We can only assume what we know from the end of RoTS and the OT - Yoda and Obi-Wan's plan is to train Anakin's offspring to take down the Emperor and Vader. Luke is Plan A, with Leia as the back-up option.

Yoda's failure to tell Kanan about the Emperor being a Sith Lord might, silly as it sounds, something that is irrelevant to him. Kanan is no where near the level to take on Palpatine, so why bother telling him the truth? There's nothing he can do about it.

But, I agree that Obi-Wan and Yoda's brief inclusion in Rebels is stupid. Opens up so many plot holes, that is was better to not include them at all.

2. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007

Oh you've hit on the main reason I hate Obi-Wan's pathetic warning in Rebels.

"This is Master Obi-Wan Kenobi. I regret to report that both our Jedi Order and the Republic have fallen, with the dark shadow of the Empire rising to take their place. This message is a warning and a reminder for any surviving Jedi: trust in the Force. Do not return to the Temple. That time has passed, and our future is uncertain. Avoid Coruscant. Avoid detection. Be secret... but be strong. We will each be challenged: our trust, our faith, our friendships. But we must persevere and, in time, I believe a new hope will emerge. May the Force be with you always."

Nothing about the Clones turning on the Jedi. Nothing about Supreme Chancellor Palpatine being the Sith Lord who orchestrate the entire war and was the mastermind behind the destruction of the Jedi Order. After Order 66, it was vital to warn all surviving Jedi to stay away from Coruscant. But also tell them "Chancellor Palpatine was a Sith Lord, in league with Count Dooku from the beginning. He is now the Emperor, and the Republic has turned against the Jedi." To ignore Sidious's role as the mastermind in the war is a huge oversight, and something Obi-Wan should have included in his message.

3. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    Didn't Obi-wan make the recording before looking at the security footage?

I'm guessing this is Dave's only "get-out-of-jail" card here - he didn't know Palpatine was a Sith Lord until he saw the footage (which was after he made the recording).

However, I don't disagree. I know Rebels wanted an Obi-wan cameo, but there are better ways achieving it then a hologram recording. Which creates more problems.

4. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    Obi-Wan may not have known, but Yoda seemed to know. Yoda was even against Obi-Wan checking the security footage. So, if Yoda knew, it's weird for him to just stay silent. Obi-Wan is doing what he can to warn survivors away from Coruscant, while Yoda apparently knows what's up, but makes no effort of telling Obi-Wan before his transmission, nor warning Kanan, or Ezra. I mean, in TCW, Yoda tells the clones that only by surviving the war, can they prevail. Then in ESB, Yoda tells Luke that only a fully trained Jedi has any hope against Vader, and neither Kanan nor Ezra is a fully trained Jedi.

I don't think it's out of character for Yoda to let Kanan train Ezra, since he wants Jedi knowledge to survive the Empire's rule. But I feel like Yoda should be discouraging Kanan from his path. I mean, in ESB and ROTJ, Yoda hardly even mentions the Rebels. He seems to stress Luke's role in opposing the Emperor and Vader, he seems to see no value in the Rebels, and in fact talks about Luke's friends as though they are a liability that he should be willing to sacrifice to honor what they fight for.

I kind of feel like it would be more in character for Yoda to tell Kanan that he is up against Sith, has no chance, and instead encourages him to take the boy, go into hiding, and just try to survive and pass on what he knows.

Kanan then disagrees and continues to fight and gets himself killed. I feel like that would give greater weight to what happens in ESB, where Luke doesn't listen and runs off to rescue his friends. They might be so sure that that he is going to fail, because they had seen something similar happen to Kanan.

Now, with them remaining so tight lipped, which I think is silly. I don't have high hopes for Maul revealing anything about Palpatine. I figure it will be more like Vader tempting Luke. He'll just offer Ezra the power to take down the Empire and save his friends as the tempting offer to lure him to the Dark Side. I doubt he'll delve into his history with Palpatine. He might not even refer to himself as Sith.

5. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    No. That's why we've Ahsoka. Ahsoka is the main fight for Vader in Rebels, it's also emotional and dark vs. light representative.

Also, as far as I understand from the trailer, Ahsoka vs. Vader and Maul and Ezra conservation happening in the same episode (considering the environment of those scenes are the same)

Well, because Maul hates the Jedi more than he hates his former Master, he only fights against his former master because Palpatine considered him as his rival and destroyed his power base, other than that, Maul would choose to destroy the Jedi first if he had to choose. He still owes many things to his master, he gained his philosophy and his powers, even his intelligence from him, he surely wants to destroy Sidious, and he will work for it, but surely he wouldn't do that with being friends with the Jedi, that's the last thing Maul would do, and Sidious knows this as well. They even covered each other for a while in the Clone Wars.

6. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    I don't think Maul had any reason to cover for Palpatine. Ever since TPM, his cover had been blown. The Jedi knew Maul was a Sith, and once he popped back up, the Jedi were going to move against him at every turn. Mace even said his capture was important.

Palpatine meanwhile had complete secrecy about being a Sith and had an unassailable position as he had not just one, but two armies at his command.

Maul trying to take over Manalore, in hindsight was pretty stupid, IMO as he accomplished nothing in doing so. Both the Jedi and Sith would be gunning for him, and he did nothing to throw them off his trail. In fact, the first thing he did when coming back on the scene was broadcast a challenge to the Jedi, knowing full well his former master was head of the Republic.

I am not questioning about why he didnt ally with the Jedi, since I know he hates the Jedi. But he also hates Sidious and had established himself as a rival. All he needed to do was blow the lid off Palpatine's plans, which may have eliminated Palpatine as a threat.

He could have let his enemies mill each other while he builds his own forces in the chaos. Instead he just started building his forces while both sides had their sights on him, which is just a stupid move.

7. Erkan12

Nov 27, 2013
    As I said, he doesn't want to see that Jedi is winning, if he says the truth about Palpatine to Jedi, then all the work they have done, (before TPM) would've diminish and the Jedi would defeat the Sith. There was no fight if Maul would tells the truth about Palpatine, they would just arrest him and end the war with it.

However, with his plan, concealing himself in the Shadow while Jedi and CIS were fighting was the excellent plan, but he never thought his master could go at him with assassin style. He knew that Republic couldn't send his forces to destroy him because Mandalore stayed neutral, and CIS were too busy with the Republic.

8. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012

My guess is Ezra thinks "old master" means Jedi Master - it's the only thing he knows. I don't anticipate any back story until Ezra, if and when, returns to Maul. That's if he is being built as a anti-Yoda type figure.

All we know from the trailer is Ezra bowing to Maul.

9. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    Sure there would have been. The CIS was still there. Best case scenario, the Jedi arrest/kill Palpatine, and then turn their focus on defeating Dooku, with Maul removing his greatest threat. Or it would force Palpatine to execute Order 66 earlier, leading to a potential Civil War within the Republic, destabilizing things further as Jedi vs. Republic vs. CIS.

In no scenario do the Jedi just win by Maul telling them about Palpatine.

Maul has zero reason to protect Palpatine. Palpatine is the big threat. He was the one that had replaced Maul, who will not show mercy as it is not the way of the Sith, and who has two armies at his command. The Jedi are no threat. They are just pawns. And even if the Jedi killed Palpatine, that's going to destabilize the Republic, as I'm sure politicians aren't going to be OK with that, and Dooku would still be out there to contend with,

It's possible that Maul doesn't ever actually say "call me Old Master." Trailers get edited all the time such that dialogue gets spliced together in a way that it isn't actually said in the film (or TV show in this case). He could say something like.

"Call me [Maul]"

"[You must abandon the ways of your] old master"

etc. With it just getting spliced together differently in the trailer for dramatic effect.

Because telling someone to call you old master really is just a weird thing to say. So it's possible that dialogue is unaltered, but I'm skeptical. The real line might simply just be "call me Master." There's even a shift in the voice in the trailer. When he says "You seek knowledge. Call me..." he is talking in a way that I didn't recognize as Sam Witwer's voice. But then when he says "Old Master" I could clearly hear it as Sam Witwer's voice, so yeah, I'm suspicious it's two different lines spliced together.

10. Mother_Talzin

Mother_Talzin Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2014
    Post-SOD, I don't think Maul has much interest in the Jedi or seeking further revenge. He achieved what he wanted with Kenobi, and made him suffer - that felt complete. If Maul indeed survived post-ROTS, he witnessed the fall of the Republic as well, knowing that the Sith completed their plan to eliminate the Jedi. If he takes an active role in galactic affairs once again, I feel it will only be to overthrow Sidious and replace him. We know this wont happen during Rebels nor throughout the OT, so he'd have to survive beyond the life of the Empire to see anything realized. I imagine he'll stay in the shadows.

11. Sandtrooper956

Sandtrooper956 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 15, 2015
    At this point in time he probably believes Obi-Wan is dead anyways. I guess we'll have to wait and see what his plans are now.

12. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    He doesn't care for Obi-Wan anymore, Maul had his revenge in TCW.

13. Madara Uchiha

Madara Uchiha Jedi Youngling

Feb 11, 2016
    Isn't his status unknown? He survived and escaped in Son of Dathomir.

14. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    Unknown, presumed dead most likely.

15. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    Whose status? Maul is still around, at least.

Erkan12 likes this.
  16. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Witwer uses different tones for Maul to express different emotions and states of mind of the character, that was seen in TCW. No disrespect for Witwer, but his Maul character is still in the cartoon(and modern video game )medium so much of the acting has to be done with vocals, with Maul in the movie most his acting was physical and seen through the facial expressions and body. But so Witwer often gets cartoon villain hammy and Witwer at times does the cliche villainous laugh which I guess cannot be helped as its so tempting to do. Having said that, he[Maul] could be simply putting on a facade at first to appeal to young and naive Ezra. At first Maul comes off as like a kindly wise man, "You seek knowledge" but once he says , "Old Master" and the eyes do the acting, you know there is something sinister involved that that is Maul. Palpatine also put on two different voices, one for the kind and humble Palpatine and other for Sidious(even before transformation the voices are different when he speaks as Sidious). Perhaps even Tano brought Ezra to Maul directly or indirectly, as there was some dialogue from Ashoka about understanding your enemy and she apparently takes Kanan and Ezra to an ancient temple that is well liked by the Sith and its presumably on Malachor and this place is obviously supposed to challenge these characters.

DanielUK likes this.
  17. Madara Uchiha

Madara Uchiha Jedi Youngling

Feb 11, 2016

Now Imagine if Disney added him into Episode 8.

18. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    It would create a huge plot hole in the OT.

19. jakobitis89

jakobitis89 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2015
    Not to mention would be really quite laughably pointless.

20. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012

Yeah, it would be a really odd thing to do.

21. Erkan12

Nov 27, 2013
    I don't think Maul should appear in the Sequel Trilogy but I don't think it will be a plot hole either, his story is already established well in TCW and after, Star Wars isn't just about Movies and EU is extremely needed for this universe since there are large blanks in the story when it jumps to another movie (like the important events between Episode 2 and 3), we are in the communication age, people can learn things easily if they want.

daniel brown likes this.
  22. daniel brown

daniel brown Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 23, 2015
    Good point man

23. Sannom

Sannom Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2011
    Maul still wanted quick, bloody revenge on Obi Wan at that point, hence why he baited him for a direct confrontation. After that first confrontation failed, it seems that Maul decided to play the long game : building an army behind which he could hide himself while preparing something even nastier for Kenobi.

24. Jedi Older Code

Jedi Older Code Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2014
  25. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    Old Sith blade from SWToR era. Very interesting.