main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Darth Maul in Star Wars Rebels

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by StarWarsFan91, May 22, 2013.

1. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    "Anakin Skywalker was weak. I destroyed him."

"That name no longer has any meaning for me."

"The son of Skywalker must not become a Jedi."

None of the other Dark Siders dissociated themselves from their names like Vader did.

Err. Outside of ESB, I do not know when he was ever the "baddest" guy in the Galaxy. I don't believe he ever was. In ANH, Tarkin is "holding his leash." Motti is willing to talk back to him. In ROTJ, from beginning to end, he is kowtowing to Palpatine, until his redemption. And ESB establishes that he does kneel to a superior (the Emperor).

Vader kills Palpatine only through self sacrifice. He overcomes fear for himself to save Luke and he and Palpatine kill each other. But as a selfish Sith? I don't buy for a second that Vader is on par with Palpatine.

He was schooled by Luke.

As far as Vader's Force potential due to injuries, I think that's just one of many cases of Lucas changing his mind over time.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  2. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    It looks like Maul's Mechu Deru skills are still operational.

[​IMG]

As far as we know, these droids were not battle droids.

[​IMG]

3. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Well they seem to have turned Maul into a Puck-like character in the season finale and he still seems to be playing a trickster onboard that Death Watch station and paying Kanan back.

MandaloreRex2015 likes this.
  4. MandoArtist

MandoArtist Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2015
    I'm curious on how those droids managed to make Sabine, Hera and Zeb submit.

5. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    Well somehow The Ghost landed there as its seen in the clip so its possible they were lured and tricked there quite possibly. Maul would've defeated them and rounded the up either himself or through one his schemes or both. The droids look to be reprogrammed/refitted for security/combat duty but its very doubtful Maul has any notion of them being reliable - if he does then they're writing him as a jackass.

6. Canyon D

Canyon D Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 17, 2015
    wait what? what clip what did I miss?

7. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
  8. Canyon D

Canyon D Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 17, 2015
    MandaloreRex2015, Erkan12 and Vorax like this.
  9. Twain

Twain Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2014
    If Maul dies in an epic saber duel against Vader, it will all have been worth it.

10. Erkan12

Nov 27, 2013
    It would be satisfying the Vader fanboys, which is garbage... :p

11. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    Windam's old Jedi Quest comic series was fun, and it has some similarities to TCW and Rebels. Actually where I think they got quite a bit of inspiration from. Anakin on Ilum, the meditation and Force visons, Anakin's visions of Maul who aids Anakin in constructing his lightsaber and some of Maul's dialogue like how he goaded Obi Wan on TCW and Ezra on Rebels is very similar where it could be the same Maul we got on TCW/Rebels. Anakin also secretly craved Maul as a master which was something he was denial about to himself -and at the end of the vision, the vision of Maul said he'd be back - which interestingly would occur on TCW.

12. Erkan12

Nov 27, 2013
  13. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
  14. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012

I do hope Filoni is right, and this won't happen. Fear of epic fanboy pandering (IMHO) could ruin Maul.

15. Mother_Talzin

Mother_Talzin Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2014
  16. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Yeah, it would be stupid to reintroduce Maul after a long absence left on a cliffhanger, only to kill him off in his first reappearance without doing anything with him.

Watto likes this.
  17. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    I don't know, I think it would be fitting if Vader kills him, him being the chosen one and balance of the Force stuff.

cwustudent likes this.
  18. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    I still say it has to be Kenobi that does Maul in...Maul may be done with Obi-Wan...but after seeing the love of his life slaughtered in front of him I am damn sure that Obi-Wan is not done with Maul.

19. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    So Filoni has a Vader figure, he does not need Maul since TCW is over so Maul gets the shaft, sounds very insane I don't know about that . He does not strike me as dumb, but very intelligent. I think it sounds more like writers squabbling, boredom, and writers block and frustration of not knowing what to do with a larger than life character that was let loose and never satisfactory concluded which was also something that occurred with Ahsoka once she took off. They been stressing that Vader cannot be beaten yet he was by Ahsoka . I wouldn't really know what to make of it other than I think Filoni likes messing with the audience and having people discuss and fight. Vader can defeat Maul but not Obi Wan(twice), give me a break . I don't think you realize the ridiculousness of it. Perhaps they realized it was silly since Maul is extremely powerful, they'd have to make him underpowered and possibly a moron & Vader by default is the winner since he's in ANH and they'd be retreading ground covered back in TCW/SOD with Sidious, Grievous and Tyranus. At the baseline, there would be no thematic or dramatic effect just nepotism - there is no undermining emotional backdrop between Vader and Maul. The flip side with the job Ahsoka did to Vader, its not likely Vader was gonna walk away unblemished, and this is important. Filoni also had an idea that Vader would stab Ashoka at the same time she slashed his helmet and there would be no question that she was dead. I think Filoni and his writers toy with different drafts and ideas which is typical of the process. Also if you remember Filoni said something similar years ago, when Filoni way back when said he was brainstorming ideas for The Lawless and supposedly how he was part of the group that wanted to (re)kill off Maul but keep Savage around and all that BS, meanwhile Son of Dathomir was already planned. Lucas and Filoni did not bring Maul to just boost ratings just to get rid of him once that was accomplished or if they did then they destroyed a very good character for profit.

I would exercise caution. If they brought Maul back on Rebels for a one shot to just off him, then that would serve no purpose other than be an offhanded admittance that bringing back Maul in the first place was a huge mistake, and all that time and effort on TCW and by Lucas and company was for nothing. That is very bizarre and extreme. I don't think its a case that they have him but do not know what do with him, as they if they wanted to end Maul's story that could've been more gracefully tidied up back "Son of Dathomir" which could've been turned into a novel like "Dark Disciple" even. Witwer did not suspect Maul was gonna die and back then fans and some employees were talking about stuff and Witwer kinda gave it away that Maul was not gonna die(he and now we know this since he was a focal part in Mandalore arc the season after SOD).

All these SW characters I guess do eventually die, but its doubtful they'd kill off Maul just for the sake of it without there being a sense that this character accomplished something pivotal and with consequences for the galaxy, furthermore he's the one character that was brought bake from the dead - am sure he could do it again as he's got a strong fan base and was made important to the saga otherwise Lucas would've left him on Naboo. If they've become bored with the Maul character, they could have him be killed by Ezra or something really dumb where Rebels takes a nose dive into a cesspool.

Canyon D likes this.
  20. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Someone in the Lit Rebels thread suggested photoshopping Maul's tattoos onto Joruus on the cover of Heir to the Empire. I'd love to see that.

21. Mother_Talzin

Mother_Talzin Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2014
    The thing with Maul, while I enjoyed his appearance in Rebels, it also made me wonder if he should even be in the series. I don't think he should be used and defeated to prove Vader is or isn't anything. We know what Vader is - we know him from beginning to end, the same isn't true for Maul. I wonder if putting Maul in a standalone movie would have been better than Rebels. I suppose it all depends on the writers ability to tell a compelling and meaningful story about the character. I want him to fulfill the destiny that Talzin eluded to, not only for himself, but his culture.

22. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    I really wish he would rebuild his original lightsaber.

23. Twain

Twain Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2014
    Maul might be indeed get his own film before it's all said and done. We have no idea at this point, but it seems like LFL wants to keep Maul alive for future storytelling possibilities (and of course, marketing).

That's reasonable. I made the comment about his death being at the hands of Vader not out of fanboy wishes but because Vader is the only the one with the stature that's suited for killing Maul if that's what they're wanting to do.

Any other death (save Kenobi, which seems extremely unlikely in Rebels) wouldn't do Maul justice. Only Vader would be strong enough to do it and that's a compliment to Maul.

cwustudent and MandaloreRex2015 like this.
  24. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    He could be having Force visions of what Maul is doing and realize that he is the only one who can do anything to stop him. IIRC...the old EU had him come out of hiding once or twice.

25. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    I happen to like his current lightsaber. It looks like he killed a few inquisitors, took their flawed, gimmicky lightsabers and used the parts to build something worthy of his skill.

cwustudent and Canyon D like this.