main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Darth Maul in Star Wars Rebels

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by StarWarsFan91, May 22, 2013.

1. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012

I was just about to say that

2. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    You thinking of him being brought back in the ST?

I got into a debate with some guy the other day in one of the other forums, who was adamant that Maul WILL NOT turn up in the ST, nor will anything else that would depend on a plot point that was only ever illustrated in TCW, and which wouldn't make sense without knowledge of said plot point... (in the way that Luke trying to redeem his father Darth Vader wouldn't make sense if a person was to skip straight from ANH to RoTJ without ever watching ESB, thus missing the massive plot point of the ESB reveal).

His reasoning was that the number of people who have seen TCW or are otherwise aware that Maul isn't dead, are only a small portion of those who have seen the live action movies, and thus having Maul turn up in the ST would just leave a lot of people like "huh? Isn't that guy supposed to be dead?" and give them a negative opinion of the movie.

I didn't like his take at first but after a while I started thinking he may be on to something.

As an aside, I'd be interested to know just how many people in the general SW-watching population (basically everyone who's watched 1 - 6) have seen some part of TCW, or even if they haven't, are aware that Darth Maul isn't dead. Somebody should run some sort of survey...

3. Sannom

Sannom Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2011
    Whenever Maul appears again, I wonder if the writers will play around with that one spark of regret that Maul felt when he saw Savage killed before his eyes by his former master. As a Sith from birth and given his upbringing, that must have been the one time he ever felt something like that.

Circular Logic likes this.
  4. Vespasian

Vespasian Jedi Master star 2

Nov 1, 2012
    I don't know, I always assumed that Palpatine kept Maul alive to do twisted Sith experiments (the immortality stuff). If Maul was kept as an Emperor's Hand or a "common" assassin, Darth Vader would decapitate the Zabrak the first time he had the chance. Vader cannot stand rivals...

However, if they do reintroduce Maul in Rebels, I'd do it in a Black Sun storyline. Maul and Prince Xizor would mesh really well IMO, especially if you look at Xizor's plots against Vader. Maul is an almost natural ally.

But I guess they'll do it in a Dathomir episode.

5. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    Vespasian

You've given me an idea.

Maul should be defeated in combat and killed by... Guri!

Vespasian likes this.
  6. Sannom

Nov 14, 2011
    I guess that Palpatine would be interested in knowing how his former apprentice survived, but I'm not sure he would learn much. Just like Darth Sion before him, Darth Maul's survival is incredibly specific, rooted in his personal history. He didn't aim for immortality, it happened to him when his pain and hatred reached a peek so great that he just shooed death away.

The Dathomir relation is a plot-thread that definitely needs to be explored again. Mother Talzin took considerable risks to ensure Savage's loyalty to her and then have him rescue Maul, it would be a pity to not know where she was going with this. Also, I'm a big fan of her.

Circular Logic likes this.
  7. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    But...I was making a joke. [face_clown]

8. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012

Uh-uh sure u were :p

Dark Lord Tarkas likes this.
  9. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Speaking of which, I wonder if Darth Sion was intended to forshadow Darth Vader.
    I wouldn't be surprised if the Sidious-Maul pair returns for the ST. Many feel they were underused in the PT.

10. Sannom

Nov 14, 2011
    I don't think so. The Sith Lords in KOTOR 2 were meant as extreme of what the Dark Side could lead one into and as such, Darth Sion was only kept alive by his hatred, which was fueled by the unimaginable pain he was constantly in.
    It's entirely possible that Chris Avellone based Sion on a failed experiment of Vader in the E.U though, in which Vader tried to use a Dark Side technique to heal his body, but as his body healed and the pain went away, so did his hatred and the technique failed. Compare this to Sion wanting to kill a female Exile because he can't help but find her beautiful, and that can only weakened his hatred and lead him to his death.

darth fluffy and Circular Logic like this.
  11. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    Sannom

You bring up an interesting comparison between Maul's survival and that of Darth Sion. I first noted the similarities in this very thread in my post here, but I only wondered whether Maul's survival prior to Talzin and the Death Watch's upgrades hinged solely on his hatred for Kenobi, and whether or not he would cease to live once that hatred is sated, perhaps following the death of Kenobi at his hands. But you brought up some good points in this thread and the Nightsisters/Maul thread, and I can't help but wonder about Maul's final fate as well.

I like the idea that Maul is more two-dimensional than a single-minded assassin bound completely to the Dark Side of the Force, and we witnessed him express feelings akin to compassion when he witnessed his brother's death. Hence, he isn't pure evil like his Master seems to be. But at the same time, this is a being raised in service to the Dark Side practically from birth, the only life he knows. I don't view the guy as redeemable, but your comparison to Hanharr made me think. Perhaps Maul could die fighting back against his former Master and/or Talzin, the two individuals most responsible for his long-suffering life, and in letting go of his intense hatred, he would die with some semblance of peace, much like the Exile convinced Sion to relinquish his hate and join with the Force.

12. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Filoni has mentioned that he intended to elaborate upon how Maul survived.

13. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    I definitely think they were under-used in the PT, but I want new characters in the ST, especially since we have TCW.

Trebor Sabreon likes this.
  14. purplerain

purplerain Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 14, 2013
    Is it possible that Palpatine's other uses comment was written with Rebels in mind?

15. Circular Logic

Mar 3, 2013
    I thought this was what Sidious meant by "other uses" for Maul:

[​IMG]

16. Ananta Chetan

Ananta Chetan Force Ghost star 5

Aug 11, 2013
    While recently re-watching the Sideous vs. Maul-Savage battle for the upteenth time :p, I became aware that I always very much cheered for Sideous to defeat them, and it occurred to me... how ingenious that the TCW creatives had been able to devise a scenario where one would cheer for the entrance and victory of the Darkest of the Dark Ones. [face_devil]

Plus, such a richly choreographed fight and the SW-Picasso in the background... and to get to see some of what the potential of Sideous really is behind a saber, as he effortlessly disposed of them both.

Would be curious if anyone else was surprised to find themselves feeling the same way or similarly?

Random Comments likes this.
  17. markdeez33

markdeez33 Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 25, 2013
    Old Wounds should be adapted somewhat into a spin-off movie about Obi-Wan Kenobi

TheMDOSS1313 likes this.
  18. JediGirl_Angelina

JediGirl_Angelina Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 12, 2003

God, I'm crying! [face_laugh]

El Jedi Colombiano likes this.
  19. El Jedi Colombiano

El Jedi Colombiano Chosen One star 6

Jun 24, 2013
    I think Maul's fate should be adressed sooner rather than later. If it's adressed in Rebels, you could have him getting unfrozen from carbonite after various years. He somehow finds out about Obi-Wan, and goes after him on Tatooine for one last showdown. However, I would prefer that his fate is adressed in the Clone Wars era, in some way.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  20. Orrelios

Orrelios Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 21, 2005
    It seriously feels like I've seen that one picture before.

21. Narutakikun

Narutakikun Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    No. Mention him and his fate in passing if you want to; that's fine. But not a full-fledged return.

22. hlc88

hlc88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    If Maul is still around in the early years of Rebels, I don't see why he couldn't be on a mission for Sidious, crash to Tatooine and stumble across Obi-Wan, in which Obi-Wan finally aims for his neck. Obi-Wan would still be in his prime and not aged as much that fighting Maul would hurt him. Heck throw a drama in with the Lars at the same time addressing why Owen doesn't like Kenobi: I think that could work if its done right.

but I don't think Maul should appear in any of the live-action films. I'd prefer his fate to be dealt with in animation or novel/comic-book form over live-action.

TheMDOSS1313 and Circular Logic like this.
  23. purplerain

purplerain Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 14, 2013
    I wouldn't be surprised if Maul is the main villain of Rebels.

24. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    Only if they plan on adapting the comic where Vader kills a clone of Maul by stabbing himself and impaling Maul behind him. Sure, it was stupid then, but making Maul not a clone won't really change the story much.

25. Circular Logic

Mar 3, 2013
    As I've said before, they could simply canonize Old Wounds or adapt it and have that story as an arc to resolve Maul's fate. There could be plenty of drama in such a plot, as you've mentioned. Also, I agree that I'd prefer Maul to be dealt with in animation or even in a novel or comic before live-action because showing a post-TPM Maul running around will only serve to confuse the audience who haven't read the EU and/or watched TCW. So best deal with his fate in the same medium that they dealt with his return: in the EU, i.e. T-canon or C-canon.

TBH I can't see this happening. Even in TCW he only showed up in six episodes. You can argue they may be setting him up for Rebels, but I doubt it. Had they been allowed to continue the show longer, they might have dealt with his fate before the series concluded. In the grand scheme of things Maul is simply a minor character and it would be awkward, IMO, for him to be the main villain in a show that's supposed to deal with the oppression of the Empire, which would put Vader, the Emperor, the Moffs, and various Imperial officers squarely in the role of main villains. Maul at best would simply be another one of the Emperor's clandestine assassins.

You've probably come across Jordan1Kenobi's original idea in this post here.

hlc88 and Mia Mesharad like this.