main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Darth Maul in Star Wars Rebels

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by StarWarsFan91, May 22, 2013.

1. Ithorians

Ithorians Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    Completely agreed.

Exactly!! I always liked the message I got from Vader´s tragedy before that Lucas reinterpretation. Vader got incredibly powerful, it was too late until he realized power and happiness, fullfillment, etc, aren´t the same. To make Vader weaker is to say "so he made the right choice, but his plans were foiled by Obi-Wan". For me, Vader´s choice is bad in the first place because it leads to a very lonely, dark place were he could never grow as a person. Power served him to win a fight, but life isn´t (shouldn´t be) about fighting. So, in the new interpretation (or, let´s say, back to the old one), since Vader got so powerful, he keeps telling himself "it was all worth it" and keeps in denial about the selfish, lonely life he has. In the end, Luke makes him realize this, and that´s what help him to come back.

MandaloreRex2015 and Darth_Pevra like this.
  2. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Yes, exactly! The greatest tragedy is that he lives in an emotionally empty void. I think Lord of the Sith really drove home that point when Palpatine and Vader are invited into the Twi'lek village. Vader feels completely detached, as if he had nothing in common with those people.

Ithorians and MandaloreRex2015 like this.
  3. jakobitis89

jakobitis89 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2015
    It's also where Maul finds himself prior to Rebels I think - for different reasons. He scored his mark against Kenobi with Satine's death but then when he went up against his other main target for REVENGE!!, said target promptly killed Maul's brother and kicked his tattooed butt with relative ease. With Kenobi's (presumed) death and Sidious absolutely untouchable Maul for the first time finds himself without any real target or purpose, which is why when he finds himself a potentially powerful new apprentice in Ezra he really does seem to have made corrupting/turning Ezra a key part of his plan.

MandaloreRex2015 likes this.
  4. ShadowLady86

ShadowLady86 Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 2, 2015
    I agree. Whole Maul's life was (and probably is) based on the revange. But his rage and anger was create artificially by Sidious. Maul was just a child, when he was kidnapped by Sidious. And children think about playing and parents approval, whoever their are. Only "parent" Maul knew as a child, was Sidious. Suffering from some kind of Stokholm Syndrome, Maul accepted Sidious truth as his own. He fulfilled himself with anger against the Jedi Order and decided to take revenge on Jedi. Even after his "resurrection", he still thought that Kenobi and the Jedi are his enemies. Not the Master, who abandoned him. Only after his brother death he finally woke up and saw, that his true enemy was the man, who destroyed his life. And knowing that Talzin iis his mother changed him further.

I am curious, what is the main goal of Rebel's Maul. Still killing Sidious? Destroying empire? Training Ezra and leaving a legacy? If first two, why he does not help the Rebels? He posses crucial information against Emperor and as we all know, "the enemy od my enemy is my friend". Is his indoctrination during the childhood so strong, that even as fifty yers old man he can't cooperate with Jedi or simply with anyone? If he wants to seduce Ezra to the dark side and become his Master, then trying killing his friends is not the proper way in my opinion.

jakobitis89 likes this.
  5. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    Maul would never help Rebels because he also hates Jedi, and he doesn't need Jedi to take his revenge.

The reason why Maul hates Jedi not because of Sidious only, because he is a natural Force user from Dathomir, and Dathomir people are naturally dark-siders. And Jedi are opposing him with using the light-side of the Force. Maul tried to kill Ezra's friends because they are light-siders, it's a problem for Maul, who is a pure dark-side user.

6. beetzello

beetzello Jedi Grand Master star 2

May 17, 2002
    Wild and crazy speculation:

Maul is in Rebels because the viewers need to see there is "another way" down the path to the Dark side, to contrast with the Sith path. Disney's purpose is to help viewers undrestand the path Ben Solo and Snoke has taken, one that doesn't involve Sith practices. Maul has transcended any need for revenge against Sheev. Maul knows of another path, and he believes it is superior to the Sith path.

7. Mother_Talzin

Mother_Talzin Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2014
    I think its safe to say Mauls endgame is a bit convoluted by the time of Rebels. I feel he still wants to see the Empire crumble, but he doesn't have a true alliance with the Rebels / Jedi - he likely considers them pawns and a means to his ultimate ends. Maul has already been shaking up the Empire / Sith, as we see them make an effort toward hunting him down. He has also dealt a blow to the Inquisitorius, and if he kills even more of them, he could cripple that organization and leave Vader to deal with the Jedi / Rebels as we see in ANH. I think that in itself would be a significant step towards destabilizing and ultimately destroying the Empire.

8. ShadowLady86

Jul 2, 2015
    By Rebels I mean the whole Rebellion, not only the ghost crew. The Rebelion is not equal to Jedi. Only Jedi left we know about are Yoda, Obi-Wan ans Kanan. Ashoka left the Jedi Order, and Ezra is not a Jedi yet. So if the Maul's goal was for example to defeat Sidious, he could join the Rebelion and used it for his own purpose.

Maul was rised by Sidious on Mustafar, not by his kinsmen on Dathomir. Since his ressurection he had not even known about his family - brother(s) and mother. His hate is artifficialy created by Sidious during his training. Sidious told Maul about Jedi order defeating Sith thousand yers ago, about their hypocrisy and power hunger under the mask of peace keepers. Maul dreamed about being the one who destroyed.

Dathomirians are dark siders, but we had not seen any signs of them hating Jedi or any other lightsiders. Contrary, Talzin hated Sidious and Dooku (later). And the Sith were those, who were responsible for masacre of Night Sisters.

Common, Ezra's friends apart from Kanan are not even Force users. If you want to seduce somebody to dark side, killing his friends or loved-ones isn't a good way. In such situation, Ezra only wish would be killing Maul in revenge, not cooperate with him. Look what Sidious did to make Vader his apprentiece. He did not eliminate Padme, but used Anakin's love for her. Till the end. Sidious was master of manipulation. As a result, Anakin began to see his friends and loved one as his enemies. He killed the youglings, he fighted Obi-Wan and attacted Padme.

Maul killing Ezra's friends accomplish nothing. Would you trust somebody who killed your family and saying, that he is loyal to you? It sounds like a bad joke. If Maul was smarter, who would act like he is an ally of whole ghost crew, gained their trust, but secretly manipulate all of them.

Maybe crazy, but interesting. Something new about Maul's designed. Breaking the endless loop of revenge.

DarthTalgus likes this.
  9. Erkan12

Nov 27, 2013

Except Maul would lie to Ezra that they've died in the hands of the Inquisitors, and then Ezra had no one to learn from but Maul. As long as Kanan and Ahsoka lives, Ezra could always learn the way of the Jedi, so which is why Maul was trying to kill Kanan, because he could take Ezra as his apprentice when Kanan isn't there to teach.

So Maul couldn't agree with Sidious now ? Maul still hates Jedi, even after breaking up with Sidious, so that has nothing to with ''Sidious' training'' ... Maul simply don't believe in light-side and he hates the Jedi. He is a pure dark-sider like his mother Talzin and his brother Savage Opress.

Eh, that's not how it works. Rebellion = Light Side, even if it's not official, there is a rebellion simply because the ruler of the Empire is a Dark Sider. Maul wouldn't help to the light siders in this case.

10. Sannom

Sannom Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2011
    Maul's hatred for the Jedi had nothing to do with having been born in a dark side society, especially when said society didn't seem to hate the Jedi. It was Sidious who beat fear and hatred of the Jedi into his head, and the injuries suffered at Obi-Wan's hand didn't help.

Plus the series is apparently going to tell us how Maul was nearly tempted away from the Dark Side before TPM. It this turns out to be real, then it will show that despite being born a Dathomirian Nightbrother and being raised by Darth Sidious into a being of pure fear and hatred, Maul's devotion to the Sith was actually fragile and was nearly obliterated by his first confrontation with the Jedi.

11. Mother_Talzin

Mother_Talzin Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2014
    I'm not sure that's the case - Maul, Savage, and Talzin all showed compassion and care for others at one time, so I wouldn't categorize any of those three as pure dark-siders. The Dathomiri tap into the dark side of the Force, but not always for evil purposes.

12. DarthTalgus

DarthTalgus Force Ghost star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Don't buy into the Rebel propaganda :p
    [​IMG]

13. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Huh. So random factoid of the day- Maul has a stud in his ear. I have literally never noticed this in the 17 years of his existence. Here's the story behind it, and here are some images for reference:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Also lol at the fact that he's apparently consistently had the stud IU for 30 years.

cwustudent and Meeko Ghintee like this.
  14. Meeko Ghintee

Meeko Ghintee Jedi Master star 3

Mar 6, 2015
    Dang. I feel really unobservant.

15. The Shadow Emperor

The Shadow Emperor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 29, 2012
    I remember seeing it in TCW and thinking Maul had a boil on his ear, because for some reason they decided to make it the same color as his skin.

16. ShadowLady86

Jul 2, 2015
    Did we watch the same episode The Holocrones of Fate? Maul kidnapped the ghost crew and prisoned them. After Ezra and Kanan arrival on Vizsla Keep 09, Maul separated Kanan from Ezra and tried to threw Jedi Master out of the airlock. Then, he secretly ordered his droids to eliminate the rest of the ghost crew. If he suceeded, how would he possibly explain it to Ezra? Oh, the airlock must have been broken and droids must have had a short cut? o_OAccidents happen all the time? Please... And now, after failure of killing Ezra's firiends, Ezra himself is aware of what Maul was trying to do. And in my opinion, he should be pretty angry of him. Personally, I would never trust person who tried to kill my family or friends. And still saying, that he is loyal to me.

And even if Ezra is given a Jedi training, what is wrong with it? Anakin was fully trained Jedi Knight, when he joined Sidious. Dooku was even a Jedi Master. You can always seduce somebody to dark side, if you are a good manipulator.

As I said before, and others users after me also said - his home planet has nothing to do with his wrath. He hadn't known his family since his resurrection. He hates Jedi, because of Sidious indoctrination. Maul was a child, when Sidious started to train him. What reason did he have to hate anyone? He barely was born ans was like tabula rasa. Sidious shaped him. He stearted to free from his influence after his brother death - probably first person, who he really cared about. Apart from that, Savage hate was also created artifficialy by his transformation into the "Monster" - a living weapon.

We don't know about Maul's purpose right know. But if he wants to destroy Sidious, helping the Rebels would be the smart choice. Rebels really has nothing to do with Jedi, light or dark side. Memebers of Rebels are the people, who are not Force sensitive, and probably not even aware of the Sith existance or any Jedi being left. Only Organa's family probably know about Yoda and Obi-Wan survival. Maul himself is probably aware only of Kanan, Ezra ans Ahsoka existance. The last two are not really Jedi.

That is not as simple - Empire, bad guys, Rebels, good guys. There were many good people in Empire, which were brainwashed by Empire propaganda. And they see the Rebels as terrorists. Remember, that technically empire gained its authority legally. And contrary, there are probably bad people in Rebels. For example, old corrupted senators from Republic, who lost their influence and dirty money after Empire rising.

Fully agree.

And do not forget about Ventress, who was able to even create a love relationship with Vos - the Jedi Master. Dathomirians used dark side, but not all of them were natural Force users (apart from Ventress and Maul). And ironically, on the moment the Sith are the greatest enemies of left Dathomirians. The masacre of Dathomir was Sidious and Dooku responsibility. In the hands of Grievous of course.

Technically, they are terrorists. :)

I read about it some time ago and this fact is so cool. The earing was not plan of Maul design, it was Rey Park's. However, after bringing Maul back in TCW, they decided to keep this earing. So creators adapted it as part of Maul's look. So what is a story behind that? Maul did it for fun? For vanity? Does he care (or cared in the young days) to some extent on his appearance?Is this a souvenir after some event in his life?

I read a fanfiction, in which the author created the story, that the earing was Kilindi Motoko idea. But at this moment, we do not know, if Kilindi is even in canon.

17. Erkan12

Nov 27, 2013
    That's the other way around, comic says that Maul was trying to seduce a Jedi to the dark side.

Maul's devotion to the Dark Side (not Sith) couldn't be questioned in any case.

Showing compassion is nothing to do with light-side. The dark side is what makes people feel, unlike the Jedi who feels no emotion and no attachment is the most important thing for them. Remember what Yoda said to Anakin ;

And what Plagueis and Sidious say about it ;

Revenge is also basically coming from the attachments and emotions, as well as the compassion.
    Maybe, but it's still related to Ezra's path to the dark side, it will just fuel him more for revenge, which would help Maul's case.

No he knew his family which is why he knew Talzin and Savage Opress, and he had lots of information about Nightbrother clan as we've seen in Son of Dathomir. According to this logic, every nightbrother and nightsister become dark siders because of the indoctrination of their clan, which is the same thing, if not for Sidious, Plagueis would do the same, or Tenebrous, every Sith master basically did the same to their apprentice, except for the old Jedi knights Dooku and Anakin, they've been trained from young age and they've been manipulated by their master. If it's only because of Sidious, then Maul would turn to the lightside after breaking up with him, but no, he has joined forces with her mother Talzin, who is another pure dark sider like himself.

Then why Ahsoka a former Jedi, and Kanan a Jedi Knight are leading the Rebellion ? Why Leia was seeking help from a legendary Jedi knight Obi-Wan Kenobi ? It has nothing to do with being Force sensitive, it has related with their point of view, Rebellion characters are seeking liberty because they believe in democracy, and Maul don't believe in system of democracy, he is believing in monarchy, like other Dark Siders, Rebels are completely enemy for him, what do you think Rebels will do after defeating the Empire ? They will also want to defeat a Dark Siders such as Maul.

18. DarthTalgus

DarthTalgus Force Ghost star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    -reads this page-:oops:
    We need a dislike button [face_plain]

19. ShadowLady86

Jul 2, 2015

I also thought that, but after re-reading I noticed, that text does not inform about it after all. It says also maybe turn someone else to the dark side. Text does not indicate, that “someone else” is this Jedi. Maybe is the other Force sensitive being, who is placed between Sith and Jedi.

But even if we assume, that “someone else” is that Jedi it only proves, that Maul can interact with Jedi apart just killing them. And thus we return to the starting point. Three Jedi, one Jedi Padawan and one former Jedi won’t be problem for Maul, if he really wants to join the Rebellion and defeats Sidious.

Light-side is nothing to do we Rebellion either. But you still assume that Maul could not join Rebels because it is somehow connected with it.

Maul not only wants Ezra to come to the dark side but also wants him as his apprentiece. After killing his friends and loved ones, Ezra would never become Maul’s student.

Maul was kidnapped as a young child at as a result, he could only have some flashbacks about former life. Not real knowledge.
    In Son of Dathomir, Maul was in touch with his mother and that’s why he possessed information.

And that’s a point. The indoctrination from the youth. Did Savage had a choice in maaking him a Monster? No, even worse. He was brainwashed and forced to kill his brother Feral. However, some Dathomirians left Dathomir or had been given away. Shelish left her home, and Ventress was given to pirates. But as a results, she later had a chance to become a Jedi.

If Maul as a Sidious apprentice even thought about leaving him, he would be eliminated as soon as possible.

We do not about Plagueis canon past, but he was not so young as Maul, when he became Tenebrous student. Also Sidious became Plagueis student in his late teens. They had a choice which Maul had not.

Jedi of course also indoctrinated children, because they started to train them as infants.

They are not leaders. They are just members. The leader of Rebelion Allaince is Mon Mothma. Other important person – Bail Organa. So those are senators, who lost their influence after Empire formation. Yoda and Obi-Wan during Rebels timeline are hiding and do not lead anything or anybody. Ahsoka is fomer Jedi, who left the Order herself. That’s make one Jedi and one Padawan in whole Rebel Alliance in Rebels timeline. Impressive.

We do not know about current believes of Maul. He definitely believed in gaining absolute power, when he was Sith Apprentice. But now? We know, he is seeking for knowledge and hope.
    And when you look into Star Wars universe you see, that many civilisation have the monarchy. Even if they had their representatives in Senate. That makes them dark-siders? Twisted logic.

20. Sannom

Nov 14, 2011
    The original announcement has the author say this :

"So a big part of the story is Darth Maul’s descent to the dark side and almost being tempted away from it."

21. Erkan12

Nov 27, 2013
    Yes he would, Sidious orders Dooku to kill Syfo-dias and Asajj Ventress, and he did. Ezra would join Maul because he had no other choice if Kanan and his friends dies.

You don't read enough about Maul then, Maul stayed with Sidious by his own choice, he knew his clan and he knew his mother in ''Wrath of Darth Maul'' , Talzin tried to take him back but he stayed, he didn't surprised to see his mother and his brother in the Clone Wars, because he knew lots of them before.

The Rebellion we've seen in the series is related to the Light-side, that's what I am talking about, are you going to deny this fact ? Maul would never join them because they are believers of the democracy, remnants of the old republic, and followers of the Jedi.

Yes we do,
    ''Use your anger, use your hate, let it fuel you, fuel you.'' ,
    ''The Dark Side fights without mercy, without remorse. If you want to be victorious, you need to find the same strength inside you.''

Maul unlocks the Sith holocron while he can't unlock the Jedi holocron, his beliefs are same, denying this is just hilarious. Maul was always a dark sider, and he still is. Even Bendu know this fact simply says that ''The Dark Sider will not be able to open your Jedi holocron.''

Since we know that he didn't turn, it's the other way around, he turns the Jedi to the Dark Side and most likely causes the Jedi's death.

22. Sannom

Nov 14, 2011
    It could be the other way around, with Sidious intervening before Maul is completely swayed to the Light Side. My point was, this little blurb here indicates that Maul almost lost his ways at his first encounter with a real Jedi, despite your claim that his Dathomir heritage, as well as his Sith training, would make him immune to such corruption and as such unwilling to work with the Jedi or the Rebellion on principle. The only thing that Maul will never do on principle is work with Sidious again.

23. Erkan12

Nov 27, 2013
    That's very unlikely, Sidious wouldn't or couldn't intervene simply because he wouldn't participate in Maul's missions. Maul passes the test when he sees a light-sider and tries to corrupt it with his own dark-side powers, thinking something else is completely out of character for Darth Maul.

24. ShadowLady86

Jul 2, 2015

And what this fact has in common with the issue? Dooku got rid of his apprentice. But he didn’t encourage her to join him by killing her hypothetical friends, when she was just a broken dark Jedi. So did not Sidious encouarege Anakin by killing Padme. He had been manipulating Anakin for so long that he tried kill Padme himself. That how it works.

[

Accually I do. When The Wrath of Darth Maul was written, the mother of Maul was still Kycina (now, non-canon), who gave Maul to Sidious to keep him away from Talzin. And Talzin herself wanted just use Maul and transformed him into monster (like Savage in future). What is more, Maul thought that Nightsisters were sent by Sidious and that was his another test. So ther is nothing uncommon that he did not want to come with them.

But even in non-canon The Wrath of Darth Maul we see, that before Talzin arrival Maul did not know much about his clan. Savage name was not even mention. He only knew that he was from Dathomir and that’s all.

We can also see, how deep he was brainwashed by Sidious. He killed without hesitation Kilindi and Trezza: the girl, who probably loved him and the man, who respected him. What Sidious never did himself. It is called – the Stockholm Syndrome.

Yes, Maul is still dark-sider, we all know that. He has also very strong connection to it - he still has so called "sith eyes", something what for example Ventress did not have. But we do not nothing about his goals and other believes yet. We however know, that he is not looking for power (as absolute rule), as Sith do, but for hope.

25. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007

There is no being left in the Galaxy that can touch the Galactic Emperor. Yoda is in permanent exile. And Darth Vader has no motivation to destroy his master at this point. No Force-wielder that is active in the Galaxy at this point can touch Darth Sidious.