main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Darth Maul in Star Wars Rebels

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by StarWarsFan91, May 22, 2013.

1. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    I think Freddie said it best. Maul is destined to failure. As a combatant, yes he would beat Luke without much effort but like most darkside Force users, Maul is over-confident which will end up playing against him.

Darth Dnej likes this.
  2. Mother_Talzin

Mother_Talzin Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2014
    He's beat the odds at every turn, so he could continue on, but the established canon will likely strike him down. It's possible he could coast into obscurity like Barriss, but I expect we'll have a definitive end for him instead.

3. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    Define failure, are we talking about the phantom menace finale , Maul couldn't kill Kenobi due to plot reasons and there was no Yoda there to save him like happened in AotC, killing Qui-Gon and defeating kenobi disarming him in that reactore core , only defeated by him when he lowered his guard and surprised by fallen qui-gon's weapon isn't exactly failure ....

4. Vegeta Daimo

Vegeta Daimo Jedi Master star 1

Nov 30, 1999
    Yep,no matter how powerful Maul has become or how much more popular he is now since his return, Obi-Wan Kenobi will end him in the 3rd season finale. I'm really happy that Kenobi finally shows up in SWRebels & gets this chance at closure with Maul.

Snax Rebo and Vasco_Rojo like this.
  5. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    No, there's also failure in TCW and Rebels. Failure to break Obi-wan, succeed to take over Mandalore only to loose it to the empire, wants Savage as his apprentice to overthrow Sidious only to plead for mercy and Savage gets killed. Fast-forward to Rebels, we see Maul again wanting to take Ezra as his apprentice, fails and we know all his attempts to take revenge on the Sith are destined to utter failure. He succeeds to do something for awhile and then something happens and he goes back to square one, rinse and repeat. Now, maybe he has other motivation to find Obi-wan and the trailer may be misleading us but it sounds like another Obi-wan and Maul rematch so far.

6. Erkan12

Nov 27, 2013
    Again; plot reasons. He couldn't defeat Sidious, but being a rival to him is a success. As I said before, killing Qui-Gon and disarming Kenobi in that reactor core is a success, surviving from bisection, assemling crime families and leading the mandalore is a success, surviving order 66 and empire for so many years despite being a wanted man and finding the Sith holocron and manipulating Ezra, defeating Inquisitors and blinding Kanan is a success, he isn't finishing his business in the end because all of them are 'end game' s where he need to defeat OT characters which is impossible due to plot reasons.

Darkslayer and Mother_Talzin like this.
  7. Mother_Talzin

Aug 23, 2014
    I have to agree, Maul has seen success many times, but also has had many setbacks. Likewise, we shouldn't pretend failure is limited to Sith or darksiders. The Jedi were nearly wiped out, and Luke, the Jedi so many use as an example of a near perfect Jedi abandoned the reformed Jedi Order at some point after ROTJ and did not prevent the deaths of his students.

8. Meeko Ghintee

Meeko Ghintee Jedi Master star 3

Mar 6, 2015
    I don't think you can dismiss events in the films or shows as simply occurring for "plot reasons." Its a fictional story, plot is all there is. Its Maul's successes and failures that make him interesting. In fact, I'd say his failures make him all the more sympathetic.

9. Balaaa

Balaaa Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 15, 2016
    I will be so pissed if we don't hear Duel of the Fates in the finale

10. Vasco_Rojo

Vasco_Rojo Jedi Master star 2

Apr 21, 2016
    Thank you! Could not agree more. I cannot wait for Maul to be dead for good. The fact that he remains is ridiculous, it makes the storylines lose value. And I hope his dead serves a purpose....to set Obi Wan even more for a potential glorious return in a prequel or cameo in live action movies.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

11. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    That was extreme PIS from Maul.

12. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Revival's deleted scene sounded a like his version of the Rebel Alliance(which the Shadow Collective would form like an early and dark version of):

Darth Maul:

We have a ship, now we must find a base. And with a base create an army around us..

Savage Opress:

An army, how?

Darth Maul:

Geed, brother. We will use greed as our weapon. We will create an army of pirates, criminals, rabble. The people the Republic has cast aside.

This should've made complete animation:

[​IMG]

Vialco likes this.
  13. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Saw this post about Maul on Reddit, I actually agree with everything in it!

Here it is:

Personally I love the idea of a Maul redemption arc. I think his statement could be foreshadowing of such an arc. After Maul was 'reborn' on Dathomir he continued to call himself 'Sith'. When he dueled Sidious on Mandalore Sidious states that maul has forgotten the only reality of the Sith, that there can only be two(Pay no attention to the inquisitors!). Maul shedding the title 'Darth' shows that he doesn't want to be Sith anymore. While he is still fueled by the darkside(he is guided by revenge), he has never known any other way.

14. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    It's interesting to note that not once after his revival does he refer to himself as Darth Maul, he's always just Maul. When introducing himself to Death Watch it's "I am Maul". Rebels takes this further, with him explicitly rejecting the Sith name.

The only time he's called Darth is by Obi-Wan: "Darth Maul? Alive!?"

15. Mother_Talzin

Aug 23, 2014
    It's true that Maul is fueled by hatred and the darkside, but that stems back to him being taken as a child by Palpatine. It's Sidious that's responsible for creating a monster that eventually turned mad. While Maul might resemble a demon, it's Palpatine who plays the true devil in the saga. The Dathomiri aren't inherently evil in my opinion, and he could have led a much different life, were he raised and trained by Talzin alone.

MandaloreRex2015 likes this.
  16. Rickleo123

Rickleo123 Jedi Knight star 3

May 20, 2016
    Maul fanobys:rolleyes: Maul would be stomped by ROTJ level Luke and beyond. This isn't a versus thread so I wont get into it but suffice it to say there's a reason Palps considered Dooku a much better apprentice than Maul ever was.

17. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    I wish he wouldn't confront Obi-Wan. His fixation on Obi-Wan is much less interesting to me than any plot against Vader or Sidious. If Obi-Wan is to kill him, then that's a real waste, but at the same time, I can't imagine how they can keep him alive after that.

What I liked about the S2 finale, was his ultimate goal of using Ezra to eliminate ALL of his enemies, of which he made his hate of Palpatine clear, and to reclaim power.

But after failing, his goal seems to only be Kenobi, and it's anticlimactic IMO. Obi-Wan defeated Maul, but Sidious took him from his home, cast him aside and replaced him, killed his brother, tortured him, killed his clan, removed him from the throne of Mandalore, and now rules the Galaxy with an iron fist and a stronger apprentice.

Maul hates Obi-Wan for all this, when killing Obi-Wan accomplishes nothing. Maul even tries to use knowledge of how to destroy the Sith as a bargaining chip to give to Ezra in exchange for information on Kenobi, rather than using it for himself or even treating it as knowledge he should crave himself.

His dismissal of such knowledge to focus on Kenobi, which may ultimately be a one way trip to Tatooine just disinterests me far more than had he worked with Ezra to try and defeat Vader in a last ditch effort to reclaim what he felt is his birthright.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

18. DAH

DAH Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 7, 2017
    At first, I was not very impressed with Maul surviving The Duel Of The Fate's pit fall, seemed a bit desperate and ploy to sell action figure's. However with the passage of time ( they do say time is a healer after all ) and a bit of reflection, I have to say I am glad they did, as they have really turned him in to not only a fascinating character, but easily one of the most interesting of both Clone War's and Rebels, there's just so many facet's and side's to his character we keep discovering every time we see him again. ( instead of him just being a doberman on a chain like in TPM ), and I know it sound's strange but I almost want him to succeed (or at least survive Rebel's ) as I have grown a great sympathy for him after witnessing his epic journey of failure......also.....the Top 3 greatest lightsaber duels of The Clone War's serie's are thanks to Maul....so for that also I salute him ^:)^ ....(Sidious duel, Ventess and Obi duel and.... )

[​IMG]

19. Erkan12

Nov 27, 2013

But that's only because they wanted to make a longer story for Maul. The original idea was Vader confronting with Maul in the season 2 finale, but Filoni changed that because he didn't want to kill Maul this early. So Maul could easily challenge Vader in Malachor, but the storytelling didn't let that happen.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/07...ly-was-going-to-die-in-rebels-season-2-finale

Said Filoni,''It’s interesting. This is a little bit inside, but Maul wasn’t meant to survive the Malachor episode. There was a lot of thought given to taking him out there because a lot of the Malachor arc, originally, was more about Vader confronting Maul and it was going to be a story about that. It became clear to me as the emotional story developed and we worked on it more that that was just going to be wrong, that if anything happened to Maul it needed to have its proper time and its proper space. That’s how he kind of got a pass and survived to this season.”

When I asked Filoni if Maul taking on Vader was inevitable, he replied, ''Not necessarily. It sounds like a great idea and then you start to develop it and you worry it’s a little more fan service-you know. If it makes sense, it would happen but I’d say it’s a little unlikely.”

Lol what ? Palps says ''Maul was a loss, Tyranus was a proton torpedo and he served his purpose and he has gone'' in Darth Vader issue 020 (2016) comic book.... Palps never say that, on the contrary, he says he was a loss while Tyranus was a placeholder for Skywalker. Lucas as well says that Sidious shouldn't put himself in a position of getting his apprentice killed. darth-sinister has the quote.

Also movie novelization makes it clear that Maul was unlucky.

''That night Darth Sidious stood alone on a balcony overlooking the city, a shadowy figure amid the multitude of twinkling lights, his visage dark and angry as he contemplated the loss of his apprentice. Years of training had gone into the preparation of Darth Maul as a Sith Lord. He had been more than the equal of the Jedi Knights he had faced and should have been able to defeat them easily. It was bad luck and chance that had led to his death, a combination that even the power of the dark side could not always overcome.''

Source : The Phantom Menace Novelization

The Shadow Emperor and DAH like this.
  20. DAH

DAH Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 7, 2017
    Said Filoni,''It’s interesting. This is a little bit inside, but Maul wasn’t meant to survive the Malachor episode. There was a lot of thought given to taking him out there because a lot of the Malachor arc, originally, was more about Vader confronting Maul and it was going to be a story about that. It became clear to me as the emotional story developed and we worked on it more that that was just going to be wrong, that if anything happened to Maul it needed to have its proper time and its proper space. That’s how he kind of got a pass and survived to this season.”

How interesting, thank you for sharing :cool:

Darkslayer likes this.
  21. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    I know that Maul wasn't meant to survive Malachor originally, but that just makes me think he won't be around much longer and that Tatooine will be a one way trip.

I asked Pablo on Twitter about how Maul suddenly doesn't care about the Sith so much, and he said the plans changed because Maul found out Obi-Wan is alive.

Maul's S3 appearances have all been leading to Maul vs. Obi-Wan, and if you ask me, that last exchange between Maul and Ezra came across as closure: Maul asked once more for Ezra to join him, Ezra said it would never happen, and Maul says Ezra disappoints him as he leaves, presumably to head to Tatooine.

Maul has no apprentice and seems to have given up on Ezra. But as Ezra tells Kanan, Obi-Wan is the key to destroying the Sith. We as the audience know that he's the key because he will one day train Luke, and that it is really Luke that brings down the Sith.

Luke is the same age as Ezra, and I figure Maul and the Rebels will make it to Tatooine, Maul will learn of Luke and seek to claim him as an apprentice, forcing Obi-Wan to kill Maul.

That wouldn't be that bad of a way for Maul to conclude his story, but given that he feels robbed of his birthright that Vader now has, and he has been reduced to nothing by his old master, I just felt that Maul would have a deep seated desire to prove that he's best and show that Palpatine was wrong to discard him, and that going out against Vader - who should be eliminating such a threat anyway as one of the last "classically trained Force users" (as Witwer puts it) - would be more epic than being taken out by a hermit he holds a grudge against.

Ithorians likes this.
  22. Snax Rebo

Snax Rebo Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 1, 2017
    I'd rather Maul be struck down by Kenobi then Vader. Maul kept himself alive through hatred and revenge, it's fitting that we finally see a conclusion.

23. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    Who knows? They might even adapt the whole Owen shooting Maul thing, if Maul and Obi-Wan drag their confrontation so close to Luke (but I doubt we'd actually see Luke). It's not like Obi-Wan has had a good track record with Maul.

24. Erkan12

Nov 27, 2013
    Luke was just a little kid in Old Wounds though, in here however they are only 2 years away from ANH, which should be half-grown, teenager Luke. It would be a completely different story if they want to go on that way.

25. Ithorians

Ithorians Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    I just couldn´t agree more with you. Vader vs Maul felt like the duel of all duels. It was an opportunity for Maul to be in the spotlight one more time, to be written back into the galactic´s history books as anything else than just a crazy hermit. Besides, if the Inquisitorius is really going to be disbanded, it would make sense to do it after a landmark, like the downfall of a years long target...

For me, Obi Wan vs Maul sounds different. It makes basically for a full circle, and if Maul gets killed in that duel (gets chopped in four, now?) it somewhat feels like tracing back to the origins and trying to forget Maul was brought back in the first place. However, I´m fully confident the writers have considered this as well and that they will make this reunion meaningful in the big picture. I´m crossing my fingers for it...