main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Darth Maul in Star Wars Rebels

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by StarWarsFan91, May 22, 2013.

1. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I hope Maul's story doesn't end with him fighting Obi-Wan on Tattooine. I'd honestly, and I can't believe I'm saying this because it would give the fanboys ammo, but I'd rather see him get taken out by Vader.

Having him try to kill Obi-Wan one last time just doesn't seem as interesting for his character. I'd like for him to move beyond that sort of petty vengeance.

2. Rickleo123

Rickleo123 Jedi Knight star 3

May 20, 2016
    The irony of Filoni talking about Fanservice of all things? So its fan service to have the two apprentices of Sidious duel it out as the obvious conclusion to Mauls arc but NOT fan service to give his pet Ashokha the highlight of the episode and an epic duel with Vader where she slashes open his mask and doesn't actually lose or get killed by him? Big hypocrisy if you ask me.

Maul vs Vader with Sidious in the backdrop would have been the obvious end to Maul as a character coming full circle to face the man who birthed him.

3. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    With the placement of the big Maul episode, I think there's a bigger chance we'll see Maul live to die another day.

Darth Dnej, cwustudent and DAH like this.
  4. DAH

DAH Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 7, 2017
    Episode 20 - Twin Sun's - March 18
    Episode 21-22 - Zero Hour - March 25

I think Twin Sun's maybe about Ezra and Kanan trying to figure out which planet Obi is on, and Zero Hour may have 2 stories running parrallel....

Story 1 - Thrawns attack on the rebel base, which in Imperial Eye's would be the "Zero Hour" of The Rebels, and would stop Ezra going to Tatooine to intervene...
    Story 2 - Maul confronting Kenobi, which in his eye's is Obi's "Zero Hour" ....still think Hondo's gonna be involved somehow, maybe he goes after learning from Ezra that Obi is in danger.....and I think WILL be Hondo's "Zero Hour" .....the ultimate act of redemption....saving Kenobi :_|
    [​IMG]

Darth Dnej likes this.
  5. SyndicThrass

Sep 25, 2016
    The summery kind of implies that everything goes down in that one episode, and that the finale is its own thing.

Darth Dnej likes this.
  6. DAH

Jan 7, 2017
    Can you send me a link? I cant find the summary anywhere...be much appreaciated if you could

7. SyndicThrass

Sep 25, 2016
    http://makingstarwars.net/2017/02/star-wars-rebels-season-3-finale-title-description/

DAH likes this.
  8. DAH

Jan 7, 2017
    Awww thank you very much for your help

9. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I think this all but confirms Maul dies another day

Darth Dnej likes this.
  10. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I agree with you on Maul, but not on Ahsoka. They both need confrontations with Vader for their stories IMO

11. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    They both need to die in those confrontations. ;)

12. Zejo the Jedi

Zejo the Jedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 16, 2016
    No, not Ahsoka.
    And old Ben needs them feats, so Maul has to die.

13. TK-421 Is vader

TK-421 Is vader Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2015
    Hang on...What if he actually wants to see Obi-Wan to talk? Why is he trying so hard to kill him? He's looking for hope. Maybe he wants Kenobi to help him defeat Sheev but Kenobi isn't interested? Maybe Kenobi even kills him in cold blood?

14. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Don't fool yourself into thinking they would diverge that much from his character

TaradosGon likes this.
  15. TK-421 Is vader

TK-421 Is vader Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2015
    He might. He can't let Maul walk away. The risk is too great.

DAH likes this.
  16. DarthTalgus

DarthTalgus Force Ghost star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Wouldn't need to be cold blooded, what if Ezra or Obi-Wan slash Maul and the Nightsister magicks disappear from Maul's body and he turns into that raving animal again. It could be seen as a mercy kill.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  17. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Obi Wan is not that good at that either.

DAH, Vialco, Darkslayer and 1 other person like this.
  18. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    You know, some people like to argue that Anakin had done horrible, unforgivable things at that point and didn't deserve mercy.

DAH likes this.
  19. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    Obi-Wan would kill Maul, if he had to. But I don't think it would ever be in cold blood.

I think the confrontation can go several ways. Maul can die, Maul can run away, or Maul can realize that he doesn't really hate Obi-Wan anymore and develops sympathy for Obi-Wan and abandons his quest for revenge.

If Maul dies, there's no real problem with that continuity wise, though personally I would have liked to see him cornered by Vader and have one last shot at proving himself, which he'll not get if killed by Obi-Wan.

If Maul runs away, then to me it's just going to get old so fast that Maul keeps walking away from all these encounters. Without these rivalries being resolved.

The last option of him sympathizing with Obi-Wan and letting go is the one that has me the most worried because back in TCW Dave commented that after Maul was restored he was showing non-Sith like traits, such as concern for Savage.

And in Rebels, Maul has constantly referred to Ezra as his apprentice, but that last encounter has Maul plead with Ezra to go forward as "brothers."

I feel like Maul seeing that Obi-Wan was cast down and forced to hide from Sidious and Vader much the same way as he was could form the basis of letting go of his vendetta against Obi-Wan.

I could see Dave going that route, which annoys me because it just makes Obi-Wan look like an even bigger jerk for telling Luke his father can't be redeemed, if he witnesses Maul walking away from the Sith path. That's something I don't think should ever happen. But Filoni has also said that in his opinion that Yoda and Obi-Wan did want Vader redeemed, but that they needed Luke to arrive at that conclusion on his own.

Looking at the saga as a whole, the concept of rebellion comes up a lot. Not just literally rebelling against the Empire, but Luke rebelling against what Owen wants him to do (stay on Tatooine), against what Obi-Wan wants him to do (kill Vader), and against what Vader and Palpatine want.

Luke finds his own path. So when Obi-Wan and Yoda warn that there's no coming back from the Dark Side, I feel like that theme goes out the window if you show Maul give up his hatred, and then argue that despite Obi-Wan seeing this that he and Yoda act like Vader's redemption is impossible as some form of reverse psychology.

Ezra obviously wants to meet Obi-Wan to find out the secret to destroying the Sith. The secret is Luke. So either Obi-Wan lies and misdirects Ezra, or Luke will be mentioned. If Maul catches wind that Anakin Skywalker's son exists and wants to train him, I think that could create the situation in which Maul will be killed as they must protect Luke.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

missile, Vialco, DAH and 2 others like this.
  20. Sannom

Sannom Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2011
    Of they fight and Maul is winning, and then he realizes that the hatred, the one thing which gave him purpose, isn't here any more, that not even revenge against Kenobi can bring him the satisfaction he so desperately craves for. Which will lead to either his death or him fleeing and realizing that he had to do some serious soul-searching to find out what he really wants and needs.

DAH likes this.
  21. DAH

Jan 7, 2017
    if they are next going to do a post Return Of The Jedi series as rumoured .....maybe Maul will survive for that, It is "Disney" afterall and Mickey Mouse know's that Maul action figures sell extremley well....

[​IMG]

22. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I mean that's more or less the reason both he and Vader lived

23. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    I already covered all the basics a few times, I don't want to keep repeating myself here just for the few detractors present .

However, I do want to reiterate something again. I don't at all agree about making Kenobi look like a jerk - not at this point atleast anyway. As it is certainly too late if that were so. Two separate reasons already occurred that already counteract Kenobi's(and Yoda's) actions and views of the OT with a possible third for good measure. 1) Ventress turned away from the Sith and Kenobi seemed sympathetic towards her in Dark Disciple and this was made a focal point about her with that throughout the book's theme 2) Kenobi witnessed and participates in Vos reverting back to the good side and petitioned for it . Wheret eventually Vos does become "redeemed' after being a legit Sith Apprentice of Count Dooku's and doing evil deeds and certain direct acts against the Jedi . And 3) The first too occurred after Kenobi had once extended a gesture for Maul to come to the Light Side, an effort was made and it actually did resonate with Maul however faintly. So it was there briefly before it turned to hate again and if the new Marvel comic does show what it claims with an early temptation towards the Light Side then yes some of the Light Side does exist in Darth Maul even at such an early stage and presently of that there is no mistaking. Plus we have Witwer's commenting on the character, but how much of that directly goes into the product remains to be seen but its accounted for the record.

Maul never bothered on intensionally training Ezra like he did Savage, to be a Jedi killing machine like himself. There is no element of training Ezra as a Sith Apprentice, but he does give him the basic tenets of the Sith Code early on and left the Sith holocron in his possession for like 6 months where it began to transform him somewhat, or like the Bendu stated, it was Ezra that changed and not the object that changed him. Ezra is certainly no Maul, certainly no Ventress or Vos. His skill level or abilities whatever one wants to use, only beings to emerge when he goes Dark Side and then it quickly goes back down to Season One level where he's not even at an Ahsoka TCW level as Ahsoka for all intents and purposes was a classically and completed Jedi Padawan while Kanan was not. Ezra bears a certain similarity to the young boy Kanan in the comics but he's still not at that level because Caleb was trained by a Jedi Master .

Maul tapped into Ezra's Dark Side which seems to be where Ezra abilities seem most concentrated as Yoda did warn Kanan about Ezra, but they keep thematically playing a seesaw battle of philosophy, views about the Force and will, actions ect. Most of what Maul lures Ezra with is still the destruction of the Empire and of the Sith. Ezra has attachments to his friends which is Dark Side and Sith trait, Maul recognized it early on. Ezra having visions of Maul again on Tatooine and Maul's talk of "walking that path together as friends, as brothers" kinda makes for a strange case for Ezra being there as what would he do, fight Kenobi as a young dark side apprentice, that is highly doubtful. Further Maul does not need Ezra there to defeat Kenobi. All of what Maul is doing is by his own choice, even if he's seeking his own end and a worthy death it is still his choice as a warrior and he would view Kenobi was a worthy enemy. Maul cheated death so many times, while having a certain appeal, he unlike Sidious or Vader does not seek immortality in a conventional manner just for the sake of it or in fear of death alone as they do - and he is part Witch, so his views on death as Dathomirians does not appear so define & definite like that of the Sith or most of the Jedi - so it is doubtful he just will go so literately.

Besides all of that Maul is obviously a highly abled & skilled hand to hand & lightsaber and Force user - with even documented advanced level of supposedly "EU powers" that I can name off hand at the moment such as Force Shockwave(highly advanced form of telekinesis ), Force Sense(Precognition. Battle Precognition. Shatterpoint. Psychometry. Force empathy) and Force Telepathy/Farsight(able to astrally project his form at will across great distances and recon the rebel base without truly physically being there) And he's a skilled practitioner in other Force abilities outside of the norm, like Nightsister Magicks. We don't know what he's truly capable of since they're always adding to him.

I did like in the Maul comic a certain parallel present between Darth Maul's dialogue and Malgus' from the Deceived trailer:

"Our time has come. For 300 years, we prepared. We grew stronger. While you rested in your cradle of power, believing your people were safe... and protected. You were trusted to lead the Republic—but you were deceived, as our powers of the dark side have blinded you. You assumed no force could challenge you...and now...finally...we have returned. [...] You were deceived. And now, your Republic shall fall" - Darth Malgus

"Jedi. The peacekeepers of the Galactic Republic. Cowards. Wallowing...nesting...hiding in the peace they enforce. Their strength is waning. Deep down, they know they cannot maintain order forever. And when their time begins to tumble into darkness...they will find me waiting for them." - Darth Maul

24. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    Can you tell the difference between Palpatine saving Vader from Mustafar and Maul's concern for Savage ?

25. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    In the sense that Maul stopped calling Savage apprentice and started calling him brother, yes.

Palpatine saves Vader, but then relishes in his pain.

There are subtle differences.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk