main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Darth Maul in Star Wars Rebels

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by StarWarsFan91, May 22, 2013.

1. Sannom

Sannom Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2011
    Yep. Maul's tone when Savage loses his arm, when he wakes up to find Savage unconscious next to him and when he goes to his side in his last moments are a far cry from Sidious' expression when Vader wakes up from his life-saving surgery.

Vialco and MandaloreRex2015 like this.
  2. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    I don't really see a difference between them, Palpatine was also worried about Anakin, just as Maul was for Savage.

Also Maul didn't hesitate to beat up Savage for demonstrating his superiority as well. True he cared for him, because Savage was a very useful apprentice for Maul.

''Not as your brother, but as your master.''

Snax Rebo likes this.
  3. revan772

revan772 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 5, 2014
    That is part of Maul's character growth in the Clone Wars, and this arc specifically. He went from wanting power, getting power, and losing power. In this, he went from finding an apprentice in his brother to finding a brother in his apprentice. He was genuinely upset in Savages passing, whereas Sheev was always trying to look for the next best thing when it came to Vader. I view the two as extremely different, and shows that Maul cared for more then just himself, even if it was small and subtle. Sheev was always and would forever be 100% selfish.

4. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    So is Tatooine really going to be the end for Maul? Is he "not walking off that rock in one piece"? Let's examine Maul's statements and motivations about Obi-Wan.

"I seek something simpler yet equally elusive. Hope."

"I see nothing. Only oblivion."

"I see him!"

"Of course. It ends where it began. A desert planet with twin suns."

We know without a doubt that Maul seeks Obi-Wan. And now he knows where to find his old nemesis. But what I don't understand is how Obi-Wan's survival represents hope for Maul? Does he hope to finally kill Obi-Wan once and for all and somehow gain power from that act? Or does he hope to convince Obi-Wan to join him, as he attempted before in the Lawless. And together, use their combined strength to defeat Vader? Or is Tatooine Maul's end, as in the oblivion he saw in the Holocrons. His tale ends where it began. on Tatooine.

The obvious answer is that Maul wants to take revenge upon Obi-Wan, again. But how that represents hope for him, I don't understand. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

JH24 likes this.
  5. Mother_Talzin

Mother_Talzin Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2014
    I hope its not as simple as continually seeking revenge on Kenobi, that should have ended with the CW. I could see Maul trying to recruit Luke, forcing Kenobi's hand to stop him, but again, we saw that with Ezra. Maul needs some type of redemption and should fulfill Talzin's statement that a different fate awaits him.

As for the difference between Maul and Sidious, their feelings are worlds apart. Sidious was only worried that his prize apprentice, his weapon, was damaged. Maul genuinely cared for Savage and Talzin, the SOD comic series made that clear. He's evolved beyond the trappings of the Sith.

6. Sannom

Sannom Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2011
    I seriously believe that if the Tatooine encounter turns out to be more complicated than it appears, it won't be because Maul has designs other than simple revenge on Obi-Wan, it will be because Maul comes to a realization as he's fighting Obi-Wan. As in, killing Kenobi is all that Maul wants when he finds him, but as they fight, he realizes that something's not right, that the burning fire of his hatred is no longer there and that what he's seeking is elsewhere. Maybe it will make him realize the irony of him counseling Ezra to "forget his past, forget his attachments" and that those advices are really something he should practice.

Dude, you're quoting Legends stuff when I give you canon stuff!

Palpatine was worried that he would lose a great weapon that he had spent 15 years preparing. Maul was devastated by the death of Savage, his brother, apprentice and companion, the man who risked his life and his limbs to save him from madness and then helped him get back on top. Sidious mostly used his apprentices as pawns on a board and to execute missions, Maul and Savage were at least as close as Jedi and Padawan, always side by side and always fighting together.

7. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    Dave is pretty much the showrunner, so I do anticipate that the views he stated in the past are indicative of where he wants the show to go.

For instance, in ANH, what starts Luke's whole journey is Obi-Wan giving him his father's lightsaber and telling him his father was murdered by Darth Vader. This starts Luke's quest to become a "great warrior."

Yoda tells Luke that the Dark Side will "forever" dominate one's destiny, as it did for Darth Vader.

When Luke finds out the truth, Yoda says it's unfortunate that Luke learned that Vader was his father, because he wasn't ready for the burden. And Obi-Wan tells him that if he can't bring himself to kill his own father than the Emperor has already won, and tells Luke to bury his feelings.

Instead, Luke does what he wants to do. He wears his emotions on his sleeve, constantly showing his father compassion. He refuses to fight. And his final act is to throw away his weapon in defiance of Palpatine.

Being given that weapon started his journey as to train to be a Jedi, and throwing it away is when Luke finally proclaimed himself a Jedi.

To me that shows that Obi-Wan and Yoda were wrong. They thought they knew what needed to be done, but Luke proved them wrong.

When Filoni speaks about Yoda in Rebels, he is retroactively showing that Yoda realizes the error of TCW and he implies to Ezra that fighting is not the key to winning because the Jedi fought out of fear and gave into the Dark Side.

This seems incompatible with how Luke is instructed in the OT. But then when you listen to Filoni's remarks from podcasts in the TCW era, he would say that he felt that Obi-Wan and Yoda wanted Vader to be redeemed but that they were guiding Luke down a path where Luke would decide to do that himself rather than explicitly telling him to do that.

So with Filoni as showrunner, and looking at what he's done with Yoda, I do think he's radically altering the message Lucas laid out.

And so in the OT, multiple times it's mentioned that Vader's humanity is gone, or that the Dark Side will forever dominate his destiny. But as someone previously mentioned, we have Dark Disciple based on unfinished TCW episodes that would have shown that Asajj and Quinlan could walk away from the Dark Side. And Filoni had mentioned that after Talzin restores Maul that Maul starts exhibiting worry for Savage and starts developing behaviors uncharacteristic of the Sith.

If Maul dies in a quest for revenge, then that plot line goes nowhere.

But if Maul decides that Obi-Wan is like him. That he's lost everything too, and that he just doesn't hate him anymore. Then that builds upon that plot line that began in TCW.

At which point Maul could give up on Obi-Wan and leave Tatooine. Which IMO would make things even weirder if Obi-Wan witnesses Maul walking away from the Dark Side but then still tells Luke the Emperor wins if Luke won't kill Vader.

Or Maul has that epiphany, hesitates, leaving Obi-Wan an opening that he takes and kills Maul, not realizing Maul's conflict.

The latter I feel meshes with the saga better, as Padme and Luke both sensed good in Vader but Obi-Wan apparently only saw "a master of evil."

If Obi-Wan fails to sense the good in Maul and kills him, I think that fits better, though fans may be disgusted by Obi-Wan striking down a conflicted man. And it's not like Filoni won't do his own thing regardless and rationalize it in a Rebels Recon or something, changing the way the OT is interpreted.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

8. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
  9. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007
    Brother, I am an unworthy apprentice. I'm not like you....I never was.....

10. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    [​IMG]

Rather interesting . Maul trekking alone without tech or starship aid apparently seems kinda almost biblical. Does Maul just journey through the desert(for forty days and nights in the Tatooine Desert?) and uses the Force or stars to locate Kenobi's camp fire?! Will there be a kinda temptation of Christ-like narrative story. Or perhaps Maul's long walk is in search of Cursed Earth Pizza.

JH24, cwustudent and Meeko Ghintee like this.
  11. Meeko Ghintee

Meeko Ghintee Jedi Master star 3

Mar 6, 2015
    Or maybe a reverse-temptation? Rather than Satan trying to turn Christ to darkness, Obi-Wan (or spirit Qui-Gon) trying to temp Maul to light?

JH24 and cwustudent like this.
  12. cwustudent

cwustudent Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2011
    Reminds me of Lawrence of Arabia.

[​IMG]

JH24, ewoksimon and CT1138 like this.
  13. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    Do you mean pizza with pineapple? Maul must be really lost then. No hope for him.

revan772 likes this.
  14. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    Its like Maul's Long Walk of the Law from Judge Dredd, maybe Maul stumbles upon Watto selling pizza in the desert,lol. But yeah, it is very interesting Maul's walk, says a lot about the character and his mindset. Is it just simple revenge, is it a kind of redemption, is it all a test for young Ezra or for Maul himself, trials.. Even braving the possible Tatooine sandstorms which are no joke. The scene by the camp fire it looked like Maul's arm was partially covered with sand.

15. GalenX_1399

GalenX_1399 Jedi Padawan

Mar 31, 2016
    If I remember from the clone wars, talzins magic was just to get maul real metal legs and restore his sanity. then death watch gets maul new legs, so the magic doesn't apply there. I don't even think slashing maul would make him go insane again, 15 years removed from losing everything(brother dies, mom dies, learns that he has been replaced as sith apprentice)he has had time to reflect and became sane on his own. besides,I'm pretty sure the nightsisters are extinct, so if maul would've ever lost his sanity it happened when ezra destroys the nightsisters.

16. Meeko Ghintee

Meeko Ghintee Jedi Master star 3

Mar 6, 2015
    Would be cool if he kills the Krayt Dragon that C3PO walks by in episode 4.

revan772 likes this.
  17. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    I assume Maul will either survive this season, get the Ahsoka treatment or starting to go on the path to redemption.

JH24, revan772 and cwustudent like this.
  18. Vasco_Rojo

Vasco_Rojo Jedi Master star 2

Apr 21, 2016
    Maul is a joke of the character he once was....they should have mercy of him and slash him quickly in multiple pieces. Cannot wait to see him dead for good. Boringgggggg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alpha-Red likes this.
  19. K1ng_Xeon

K1ng_Xeon Jedi Master

May 30, 2006
    I have to admit, seeing Maul running around the time of the Empire is actually somewhat interesting. He has always been associated with Trade Federation because of Episode 1 and the Clone Wars. Ever since his introduction on S2 finale, the fanboy in me wanted to see Maul fight with garrison of stormtroopers. Am I the only one who'd be interested in seeing him slice up some bucket heads? Imagine him fighting with Deathtroopers.

JH24 likes this.
  20. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007

It's funny you should say that. Because they've gone out of their way to show very little of Maul and have shown virtually no interactions with him and the Empire. It's like they're trying to limit his interaction with the wider Galaxy.

JH24 and K1ng_Xeon like this.
  21. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Saving it for a Maul spinoff?

22. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Doubtful to confusing to some people

23. K1ng_Xeon

K1ng_Xeon Jedi Master

May 30, 2006

I can see them exploring the time of Maul after Son of Dathomir and show how he got marooned on Malachor, with flashbacks to Clone Wars episode "Brothers" to avoid confusion among people who do not know how he's survived. But, that sounds more like a story they'd save for a novel rather than an actual big budget movie.

Star Wars Rebels is all about bridging the gap between Original and Prequel trilogies and it's one of the aspects I quite enjoy. We've already seen Clone vs Stormtroopers, Droids vs Stormtroopers, AT-TE vs AT-AT, Imperial officers over Geonosis, so on. Why do they keep Maul isolated? With that comic panel of Leia sensing Maul on Naboo, I thought we would at least see them encounter each other at some point on Rebels.

Vialco likes this.
  24. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    After SOD he went back to Mandalore, what he did there is unknown but he must have been preparing them for an invasion at some point and probably dealing with resistance elements. He escaped Order 66 on Mandalore at some point after being captured in ray shields, Ahsoka apparently never knew how but she seemed unsurprised, and got off world with the Darksaber and some other artifacts it appears judging by his collection seen on Rebels. Seems a lot occurred by the time he escaped and the time he resided or was stranded on Malachor, as the Nightbrother(the capital personalized ship of Maul) was stationed elsewhere(guessing Vizsla's Keep) and not on Malachor and he killed at least one Inquisitor prior to the events of "Twilight of the Apprentice". The Darth Maul comic shows he's obviously that unstoppable killing machine and an ace pilot. In SOD's action he was cutting through all sorts of droids and clones alike with ease and out commanding Grievous and Tyranus when he captured them both and defeated their armies - Maul even stormed Grievous' capital ship and put him down in record timing and that panel puts the ROTS opening battle to shame. Imperials would be easy pickings, but him killing Death Troopers would be cool visually, I agree.

Vialco likes this.
  25. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    I don't want a redemption arc for Darth Maul. I just can't buy it. I like villains with complex stories but not every bad guy needs a redemption arc. Plus Maul has to die. I can't imagine good guy Maul running around, helping Luke and the New Republic. That is going into some fanfic clone Palpatine territory for me.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.