main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Darth Maul: Is he awesome or is he sucky?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by MaulLover1313, May 26, 2014.

?

Is Darth Maul awesome or sucky?

1. Awesome/Good Character

81.9%
  2. Sucky/Bad Character

18.1%
  1. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Is this really a question?!? (Not trying to be douchey, but come on :p )

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Anakin can kick Maul's ass any time.

3. Cunning Sweater Set

Cunning Sweater Set Jedi Padawan

Jun 5, 2014
    I thought he was basically Palpy's rottweiler and had no interest in him until I saw the Clone Wars. Besides nearly falling out of my chair at the sight of scorpion-maul he was much more fleshed out. So I now vote awesome.

4. Julian Skywalker-Solo

Julian Skywalker-Solo Jedi Padawan star 1

May 21, 2014
    Poorly developed and poorly utilized.

He's one of the least convincing aliens in all of Star Wars (he just looks like some Black Metal guy who's into bodymod)

He needed to be shown doing some things other than sneaking around and talking to a hologram. They should have played him more like a Western villain like Angel Eyes, Anton Chigurh, or Frank. Give me a couple scenes that tells me why he's bad, after he's discovered by the Jedi have Qui-Gonn tell Obi-Wan a story that gives him emotional involvement in their relationship.

Also, don't kill him. I know audiences want to see Obi-Wan successfully vanquish a Jedi in combat, but by disposing quickly of villains like Dooku, Maul, and Grievous it cheapens the prequel trilogy.

5. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    Emokin can't even touch him. :p

You need to Vader for it ;

6. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    Maul would beat suited Vader IMO

Sudooku likes this.
  7. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    Vader is more powerful than Maul

8. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    I don't want to get turned around too much on this, but basically, Maul is almost the antithesis of Shmi, and yet not. Watch in cleverly paired scenes as Shmi lets Anakin go to adventures unknown, while Maul prepares to intercept. In a later visual rhyme, Maul stands in archetypal loneliness, his feet shoulder-width apart, as he prepares to face the Jedi as the blast doors open, echoing the final shot of Shmi stood there, having exhaled her last maternal breath, left poignantly alone, condemned to remain a slave as Qui-Gon wanders off with her only son. The protection of the mother, the nightmare of the Sith -- they are one.

There is a lot of masonic imagery in TPM. It's appropriate that Maul reveals himself to the Jedi, good and proper, in an animation of a solid door splitting apart, architectural blocks lit brightly behind the brooding Sith warrior. He is the psychic hammer sent to split the world of the Jedi in two. The unrepentant id now threatening the chaste and stagnant ego. An obstacle in the road, a centered, soul-splitting menace.

Hernalt and Iron_lord like this.
  9. Erkan12

Nov 27, 2013
    According to Lucas, there are no huge differences ;

Vorax, Darkslayer and Iron_lord like this.
  10. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    Well that's just Lucas.

He could have easily changed it.

11. Jesse Booth

Jesse Booth Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 8, 2014
    In addition to Maul, isn't it wierd how quickly Sidious ran through apprentices? Either the Jedi have never been so awesome in history until that point, or Sidious was the worst teacher in Sith history, and he just got lucky with Anakin.

And on another note, Maul was just one of several named Zabrak characters throughout the extended universe, all of which are sith apprentices that use double-ended lightsabers. One of them was Savage Opress, from the Clone Wars, the other was some guy in a novel about Darth Bane. What's up with the type casting of an entire species?

12. Sudooku

Sudooku Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2014
    Hi Jesse,

Jedipedia says that the Zabraks were an extremely strong and hardship-enduring race. Maybe Dooku thought by himself, when his Master had a Zabrak as apprentice, he would like to have one too - and chose Oppress. Actually Anakin and Maul had almost the same fate like being given away by their mothers to a kind of boarding school to give them the chance of a better and more elevated live than they could have given to their sons at their home-planet. And both became Sidious' apprentices.

But Maul definitely had few chances to play in his lonesome childhood at Mustafar than Anakin, who was quite a normal child at Tatooine. Maybe that was a reason, Maul played with hanging-in-the-shaft-Obi-Wan Kenobi instead of finishing him instantly. Just before his fall we see Maul swinging his lightsaber igniting sparks at the edge of the shaft - great gesture - fatal mistake. And Maul lacked sense of order while not grabbing the light-saber of Qui-Gon Jinn immediately after his death. Isn't that reminding a child not willing to clear up his toys in the foreseen boxes after playing?

13. Jesse Booth

Jun 8, 2014
    What I found most peculiar, is that Zabraks are always Sith apprentices that use double-bladed lightsabers. Not only are they used only for the Sith, but they always have the same fighting tactics. Just a little repetitive, don't you think?

14. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    But he didn't.

15. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    But he could have ;)

16. Jesse Booth

Jun 8, 2014
    And yet, at the same time, he didn't, despite his ability to do so. We could go on like this for another twenty posts, if you guys are up for it.

17. Erkan12

Nov 27, 2013
    Because they are much more cooler as a warrior than a master.

18. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I thought Eeth Koth was pretty good as a Zabrak Jedi master in TCW and other works.

19. Jesse Booth

Jun 8, 2014
    I had no idea he was a Zabrak! I always felt like the horns weren't sharp enough, and they're pretty low on his forehead. I'll have to read up on Zabraks to learn more about their genetic variations.

20. Jesse Booth

Jun 8, 2014
    I think I prefer the Dathomirians now. Have you guys seen Silri???=P~

21. Jesse Booth

Jun 8, 2014
    ...Aaaaand according to Wookiepedia, every character that I'd ever thought of as a Zabrak was actually a Dathomirian. The semi-human spawn of an all-female cult of dark-side users and their Zabrak slaves. I am really looking forward to all the creepy fan fiction I am going to be sifting through for the next few weeks.

thejeditraitor and Iron_lord like this.
  22. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009
    Watch the double and triple posting, use the edit feature to avoid doing so. ;)

[​IMG]

23. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    Darth Maul was badass. When I first saw him, I thought, 'Holy ****! It'll take them three movies to beat this guy!' I figured he'd be the Prequel equivalent of Vader: Palpatine's attack dog while Palpatine pulled all the strings in the background. But what happened? He died.

When he died, I was very disappointed. His death diminished the image of the Sith in my mind. If it was literally that easy to kill a Sith, then why did it take three movies (or 23 in-universe years) to kill Palpatine and Vader? They had built the Sith up, at least in my opinion, to be these night-immortal monsters who are absurdly hard to kill because in their very veins oozes the Dark Side. That the reason the Jedi needed to exist in the first place was to combat these monsters. But nope, nope, they can be killed just like anyone else if you're calm and focused. They're pretty much Force potentials who, instead of being taught peace, love, and justice; were taught chaos, hatred, and suffering. Fantastic.

Sudooku likes this.
  24. Erkan12

Nov 27, 2013
    I think Lucas didn't want to create another popular figure as Vader, since the idea of Prequels was Vader's past and putting there another rival (they are rival in terms of power and Dooku as well, i mean rivalry in popularity) would makes things more complicate for fans and Prequel's purpose.

Sudooku likes this.
  25. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    But Maul's already popular. So popular they even had him duel Darth Vader in one EU comic.

Sudooku likes this.